PDA

View Full Version : Bob refuses to take calls on his call in show?

hvhurricane
10/18/2012, 09:15 PM
Seriously, what a wuss. And he quotes Tubberville as the one who gave him the courage to do it? Tubberville can't do it because he can't speak in terms that they can understand in West Texas. He sounds like a southern hillbilly. Bob is just being an *******. Heaven forbid he ever has to answer a legitimate football question. It is so stupid. It is not like they would ever let anyone on the air who would do anything but kiss Bob's ***. This attitude is one of the reasons some have begun to sour on Bob's tenure at OU. He is not above all the thousands of donors who might want a simple explanation on something his program did during a game. I am not saying anybody fire the guy. I am just saying this is the type of attitude Bob has shown in recent years when OU has underachieved. How dare anyone question what we do because we have won in the past and we aren't going to change our ways no matter what happens. We do not have to adapt to the present and future because we have won in the past. I know we have had a couple of nice wins, but it's not the time to cut out any fan interaction.

MamaMia
10/18/2012, 09:23 PM
What are you talking about? What call in show? If its called a "call in" show, then why are people not allowed to call in? I'm confused. All coaches, including Bob Stoops have call in shows, don't they? :apathy:

Collier11
10/18/2012, 09:24 PM
who cares, quit being a baby

Collier11
10/18/2012, 09:25 PM
he doesnt owe anyone anything except his bosses and his players and coaches

goingoneight
10/18/2012, 09:28 PM
Seriously, what a wuss. And he quotes Tubberville as the one who gave him the courage to do it? Tubberville can't do it because he can't speak in terms that they can understand in West Texas. He sounds like a southern hillbilly. Bob is just being an *******. Heaven forbid he ever has to answer a legitimate football question. It is so stupid. It is not like they would ever let anyone on the air who would do anything but kiss Bob's ***. This attitude is one of the reasons some have begun to sour on Bob's tenure at OU. He is not above all the thousands of donors who might want a simple explanation on something his program did during a game. I am not saying anybody fire the guy. I am just saying this is the type of attitude Bob has shown in recent years when OU has underachieved. How dare anyone question what we do because we have won in the past and we aren't going to change our ways no matter what happens. We do not have to adapt to the present and future because we have won in the past. I know we have had a couple of nice wins, but it's not the time to cut out any fan interaction.

Have you heard the stupidity that is the callers? Jesus, dude... let it go. Bob has always been good to answer all the legit questions that need to or should be answered regarding his program. I'm pretty sure people with your attitude are the ones who have been calling into the show to take personal shots at players and coaches on live television. NTM, I think it's doing our fanbase a favor to have the program screen the questions in the email box because half of those mouth-breathers make us look bad. What legitimate question has he dodged that he hasn't answered in his press conferences, post-game shows or the TV show?

MamaMia
10/18/2012, 09:30 PM
Nevermind...you're right. I found this...

http://normantranscript.com/new/x688442736/Shinn-at-3-p-m-Stoops-opts-out-of-live-fan-calls

Shinn at 3 p.m.: Stoops opts out of live fan calls
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 03:00 PM CDT

NORMAN — Anyone who watched or listened to "Sooner Sports Talk with Bob Stoops" on Tuesday probably noticed there were no calls from fans.

Stoops said he made the decision to stop taking live calls after talking to several other coaches.

"I talked to four or five coaches and they haven't been doing that for eight or 10 years," Stoops said. "One guy told me he hasn't been doing it for 10 years. I was like, 'What? How come no one told me?'"

The show, which airs on Sooner Sports TV Tuesday night's at 7 p.m., still takes questions for Stoops via email and Twitter. But doesn't feature live calls for the first time in 14 years.

The change followed some testy exchanges in the past two shows between Stoops and a couple callers. Two weeks ago, a caller asked, "why the players didn't show up" for the Kansas State game?

"I feel the fair criticism I get I, for the most part, have owned up to it," Stoops said. "Just because we lose a game doesn't give someone the right to call it what they want. If I don't agree with the perception or I don't feel it's correct, I don't have to sit there and take it, whether it's a fan or a media person.

"And I strongly believe it's my right to stick up for my players when I know they've played hard and they have invested. Just because they make a mistake or two, they didn't do it intentionally. It doesn't give people the right to then tee off on them. I don't have to sit and take it. If I ever do, then I'll do something else."

MamaMia
10/18/2012, 09:34 PM
I heard some dumb questions asked of coaches all over the land, but for the most part people have been complimentary. Apparently a couple of callers were not so complimentary a couple of weeks ago, according to the article. Thing is, if Bob Stoops doesn't want to talk to the fans, or if he feels its beneath him, or causes him distress, then thats his prerogative. He has that right.

Soonerus
10/18/2012, 09:37 PM
The problem is so many dumb questions...we need a moderator...

MamaMia
10/18/2012, 09:39 PM
The problem is so many dumb questions...we need a moderator...They're too expensive. :D

MyT Oklahoma
10/18/2012, 09:49 PM
After a 63 to 21 beat down of UT who could really care less if Bob takes questions on a talk show or not? Not me.

OU_Sooners75
10/18/2012, 09:51 PM
Who really cares if he takes calls or not? Some of the fans that have called in are total retards. Not only that, but the fans seem to ask the same questions all the time.

MyT Oklahoma
10/18/2012, 09:56 PM
Who really cares if he takes calls or not? Some of the fans that have called in are total retards. Not only that, but the fans seem to ask the same questions all the time.

Really? LOL

P.S. Don't ask. It's an inside joke.

MamaMia
10/18/2012, 10:05 PM
After a 63 to 21 beat down of UT who could really care less if Bob takes questions on a talk show or not? Not me.

The TU beat down wasn't what people had a problem with. I think it was the KSU loss at home. Thats probably when the "couple" of not very nice fans called in. :D

The question is..Why would anyone feel the need to talk to him, and what does he owe the fans?

MyT Oklahoma
10/18/2012, 10:20 PM
Bob owes OU his best effort each week. He only owes the fans to run our program with integrity.

I for one have never doubted Bob's character or his integrity, although he has raised my blood pressure on more than one occasion. I lived though. LOL

Widescreen
10/18/2012, 10:28 PM
I wish I had a job where I didn't have to do stuff I didn't want to do. I realize he owes no one anything but this sounds a lot like a guy who just doesn't want to hassle with the commoner. I never listened to his show anyway as I'm in Texas so it really doesn't make me any difference. Just seems unfortunate.

olevetonahill
10/18/2012, 10:33 PM
Seems he can do what the **** he wants in those shows, He aint under contract with OU to do em, He does em fer a few more bucks . Dont like it?
**** off dip ****s

kevpks
10/18/2012, 10:35 PM
I'm fine with Bob focusing on coaching. That seems to be working.

MamaMia
10/18/2012, 10:43 PM
His money comes from the university, not us, so why should he have to talk to us? When he asks us fans to show up and cheer loudly, I just do what he says. :) Thats our job.

Collier11
10/18/2012, 10:45 PM
I wish I had a job where I didn't have to do stuff I didn't want to do. I realize he owes no one anything but this sounds a lot like a guy who just doesn't want to hassle with the commoner. I never listened to his show anyway as I'm in Texas so it really doesn't make me any difference. Just seems unfortunate.

I think it is more of the fact that it is really hard to screen live calls and if you have some drunk idiot or bandwagoner, it probably doesnt need to be on the air anyway

MichiganSooner
10/18/2012, 10:53 PM
I am fine with his decision. Most questions from fans are OK. I don't listen much but heard the above referenced call after the K State game. It was embarrassing and I thought Stoops handled it well. The caller said something like, "early in game week you told the fans that you hoped they would come ready to make some major noise (like the Tech game of 2008); well I was wondering-how did we fans do?" Stoops replied "it was loud; you did good." Then the guy says something like, "we did our part; why didn't the players show up and do their part?"
Stoops let the caller have it and I thought he did it with respect but there was no doubt that he was embarrassed personally and for his players who happened to make a mistake or 2. He told the guy that his players work their tail off in practice, they work their tail off in the classroom and they did their best but some made a mistake...so don't come on here saying my players don't show up." Despite the disappointing loss to K State, I was cheering on Coach Stoops when he told off that caller.

Breadburner
10/18/2012, 10:56 PM
Do you know how many ****ing calls I have not taken today.....?????

MichiganSooner
10/18/2012, 10:57 PM
Stoops also said, "what do you mean about the 2nd part of your question?" No answer. What do you mean saying my players didn't show up? No answer. The caller didn't have the balls to restate his question for Coach. And then Stoops told the caller how hard they work.

MamaMia
10/18/2012, 11:02 PM
He said, "Just because we lose a game doesn't give someone the right to call it what they want."

That pretty much sums it up. I didn't even know he had a call in show, so I wont miss it.

picasso
10/18/2012, 11:19 PM
It's refreshing to see the OP still has wood for Stoops.

nighttrain12
10/18/2012, 11:26 PM
Sounds like Stoops knows how to handle the rare bad caller so he should keep taking them. If he wants to hang up on the rude ones, that's fine too.

StoopTroup
10/18/2012, 11:27 PM
nm

kevpks
10/18/2012, 11:28 PM
Jim Traber still takes calls if people out there really need someone to talk to...

Widescreen
10/18/2012, 11:29 PM
As someone who supports OU and TU and lives in Tulsa....

Does TU have a call in show?

Who decided to build that POS Basketball Arena and limit it to 8000 seats?

Who decided to built The Maxwell Center right next to an aging Footballl Stadium that needs space to expand?

Who decided to build new buildings to the West of the Football Stadium and pin expansion in from both East, West, North and South that would require some of the structures on either the West or North be cleared so it could be expanded?

Who decided to tear down the North Stands and replace it with a Brand new structure for 8-10 people to watch Football from the EndZone?

Who decided to tear out seating that had 1000's of available seats and then build a press box that makes a nice place for the Press but won't draw a crowd like an extra 10-15,000 seats would?

In Closing who decided to screw up the entire area of 11th street to Columbia and Harvard Ave to 9th Street?

TU has so many things wrong that I can't imagine why some Hurricane Fan that seems to think no OU Fans support their little side show of a Private University...unless he's one of the Super-Snobs that thinks it's their Families money that keeps the sideshow alive. Then I yield to your Grandfather's Trust Fund and will stand and watch you get pounded by all of these OU Fans on this Board who don't live in or near Tulsa and could care less if you ever played another down of near JUCO Football.
What on earth are you talking about?

StoopTroup
10/18/2012, 11:32 PM
What on earth are you talking about?

I just saw hurricane and thought he was a Tulsa U caller to the animal. I had a verbal fight with a Tulsa Fan at the last TU Game TG about some stuff and got carried away asking questions about their really screwed up Program and infrastructure. :D It's been a very long day and I just got back from Broken Arrow with 3 kids. I jumped the gun. Nothing to see here....lol

I think I just got some things off my shoulders though. :D

Oh yeah...Tuck Fexas too.

You know....the other tu.

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2012, 11:33 PM
"Why didn't the players show up?" What a moronic question in the same class as "have you stopped beating your wife yet?". And how is a rational person supposed to answer that? This is a case of some idiot pis*ing in the soup to ruin it for everyone. Nothing wrong with screening questions via email or twitter format. That allows them to skip frivolous questions that waste time as well as the really moronic ones.

nighttrain12
10/18/2012, 11:57 PM
Jim Traber still takes calls if people out there really need someone to talk to...

All lines are now open, so please please please call in!

StoopTroup
10/19/2012, 12:05 AM
All lines are now open, so please please please call in!

I think they blocked my number after the 50 calls I made where I asked "Is Jim Traber still there?" and when Al and Him said "Yes!"....I said "Crap!" and hung up.

MamaMia
10/19/2012, 12:27 AM
The only time I listen to the Sports Animal is when other people I'm with have it on, like before and after the game when we're in the car; times like that. I stopped tuning in myself after the CCG thing with Trent and Nate, plus I heard one too many "See Yaaaa's"

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/19/2012, 01:26 AM
Sounds like Stoops knows how to handle the rare bad caller so he should keep taking them. If he wants to hang up on the rude ones, that's fine too.That sounds right to me, too. He just decided he has the ability to stop taking calls, and no need to take them, so the heck with 'em. Less aggravation for him. He wants to win, and be ethical too. He's one of the better coaches for sure.

LASooner
10/19/2012, 01:49 AM
Bob still gets plenty of stupid and immature questions from the local media, so you still have that to look forward to.

redkid
10/19/2012, 01:55 AM
Bob Stoops does his talking on the field,,nuff said

StoopTroup
10/19/2012, 01:58 AM
That sounds right to me, too. He just decided he has the ability to stop taking calls, and no need to take them, so the heck with 'em. Less aggravation for him. He wants to win, and be ethical too. He's one of the better coaches for sure.

IMO it's time better spent but I'm sure any new Coach that is looking for the folks at his University to increase not only his wages and grant him contract extensions would probably do a Call In Show and take questions. At this point though....Bob has been here long enough and probably isn't to stressed out about losing his job anytime soon that he (like you said above) realized he just doesn't have to do it and nobody in their right mind is going to push him unless they are ready to put it in writing and offer him some more money and possibly another extension and review of his present contract.

HAMTTX
10/19/2012, 04:58 AM
I don't have a problem with it because some people do not know how to behave. Just look what is happening to Mack Brown. Like him or not some of what I have read is a little disturbing. Sure Texas lost a football game but you have to keep it in perspective. To lock up ones good sense and feel you have the right to say ANYTHING is ridicules. None of us would stand for that no matter what are pay or our job responsibilities may be. Any comment or question about ones family, health or not being related to the football team is off limits in my book.

MsProudSooner
10/19/2012, 07:50 AM
Back in the day, people used to write snail mail letters to coaches if something made them mad. It's easy to toss things like that in File 13. The anonymity of the internet & talk radio makes some people think they can be as insulting and obnoxious as they want, without repercussions. No one has to put up with that. Because some people have no idea how to conduct themselves in a logical, civilized manner, everyone loses a privilege, unfortunately. I don't blame any coach for taking this step.

badger
10/19/2012, 08:32 AM
Callers that would get in would ramble. It would be like this... "Caller you're on the air. What's your question for Coach Stoops?"

"I WUV YOU SOOOO MUCH BOBBY! I THINK YOU'RE THE GREATEST AND A GOOD ROLE MODEL FOR CHILDREN AND A GOOD FATHER AND A GOOD HUSBAND AND WE ARE SO LUCKY TO HAVE YOU HERE AT OKLAHOMA. GUSH GUSH GUSH..."

Seriously, it was pretty ridiculous. If they had people leave 15-second messages and air those similar to the Mike and Mike show, that would keep things on a better schedule than letting the early callers hog the time by basically gushing at Coach Stoops for a few minutes and then taking another few minutes to work out a question... which is actually just another compliment. :)

A few times a few callers set Stoops off though, so that would be funny. He'd tell them "whatever you want" and ask them to email in coaching strategy :D

MamaMia
10/19/2012, 08:44 AM
He's still taking email and twitter questions, just not calls. I can understand that.

MyT Oklahoma
10/19/2012, 08:49 AM
"There just molecules in the universe." Barry Switzer November 1975

Next question please.

BBQ Man
10/19/2012, 09:10 AM
People are too stupid to allow on the air. Just look at this message board for evidence! :chuncky:

ouleaf
10/19/2012, 09:45 AM
Maybe if you are a new coach and trying to gain the support of fans and show you are a nice guy, then I can see taking calls, but for every one person that calls in with a legit question there are probably 10 more idiots with bad questions, bad bits, shtick, or just want to hear the sound of their own voice.

Taking calls is pretty pointless at this point for Bob. More shows are adopting the reading emails, social media messages, because they are easier to screen that callers.

Position Limit
10/19/2012, 10:05 AM
sounds to me like the OP needs a life. i think some of the posters on here are borderline stalker/full blown obsession robert de niro "the fan" style.

En_Fuego
10/19/2012, 12:17 PM
I would have ended the trend long ago if I were Stoops. We make fun of the people in WV but .....Us Okie's are really bas aackward as they come.

ouflak
10/19/2012, 01:25 PM
I wish I had a job where I didn't have to do stuff I didn't want to do.

I have a job where I don't have to do stuff not in my job description that I don't want to do. Ofcourse I love my job and love to do the duties that are in my job description and throw myself into the job with a passion.

What I wish though, is that I was paid Bob Stoop's kind of money. And it would be kind of cool if people wanted me to talk on a show about my job. I would even like to take callers.

StoopTroup
10/19/2012, 01:43 PM
Same here Flak. If it's wrong or you don't think it is something that makes things better...why spend a second doing it?

Like I said in my post earlier....I'm sure if he had to do it....he would. He doesn't so....folks need to just deal with it. If they think he should....they are free to pony up the dough and see if he will accept the deal. I just think he's gotten to the point that he can go anywhere else and get that deal. Why stay here and take crap from fans who aren't satisfied with anything but a MNC every year? He could even go to fexas right now for more money and a call in show on the Longwhorn Network for even more Money and probably even swing a nice deal for appearances for everyone on his Coaching Staff that he wanted to have on each week.

My thought is that he's paid to Coach our Team and win Football Games.

MyT Oklahoma
10/19/2012, 02:38 PM
Same here Flak. If it's wrong or you don't think it is something that makes things better...why spend a second doing it?

Like I said in my post earlier....I'm sure if he had to do it....he would. He doesn't so....folks need to just deal with it. If they think he should....they are free to pony up the dough and see if he will accept the deal. I just think he's gotten to the point that he can go anywhere else and get that deal. Why stay here and take crap from fans who aren't satisfied with anything but a MNC every year? He could even go to fexas right now for more money and a call in show on the Longwhorn Network for even more Money and probably even swing a nice deal for appearances for everyone on his Coaching Staff that he wanted to have on each week.

My thought is that he's paid to Coach our Team and win Football Games.

Amen!

SoonerorLater
10/19/2012, 02:41 PM
I thinks what rankles a lot of people about something like this is it's just another way Bob Stoops has cut the fans off form the program. When Stoops came here it was all about embracing tradition, being held accountable and generally being an accessible coach. For a few years he sort of was but over the last ten years he has became a lot more caustic with the same media he was throwing kisses to when he came to OU. He closed practice sessions. Sidesteps lots not just the dumb questions but reasonable questions too. In general not a very fan/media friendly coach. The program is just too insular for a place like OU where the fans wants game by game details and reasons for game strategy.

While yes, he is paid to coach X&O's, he also has other responsibilities as HC of a high profile program. It's the high profile nature of his job that allows him to cash out his humongous checks. He might have to suffer the questions of fools. Bud and Barry did it. I'm sure those guys were secretly rolling their eyes too at a lot of dumb questions. So while it's not a big deal, in and of itself to not take live calls, it is just another tweak to the nose of the fans.

badger
10/19/2012, 03:02 PM
I thinks what rankles a lot of people about something like this is it's just another way Bob Stoops has cut the fans off form the program.

It is either a sign of college football times, or just Stoops being more entreched in this position than he was upon arrival.

You can't watch spring/summer practices other than the Red/White game.

You can't go to Meet the Sooners Day unless you're a Sooner Kids Club member (or the parent accompanying a member)

The media access has been seemingly cut back significantly (and Stoops seems a lot less cordial with the media than he used to be).

And now this... not that I blame them, I just wish that there was a trade-off. You can't call into this show anymore because most of the callers are crazy rambling fanboys, but there will now be an adult Meet the Sooners Day which only has an admission charge of a Toys For Tots donation... or something like that.

cherokeebrewer
10/19/2012, 03:04 PM
I've heard many of the "live calls" over the years, not only with Bob, but also Barry. They can get real stupid sometimes. Screened email & twitter questions can filter out the dumb ones. I don't blame Coach Stoops at all for this...

sooneron
10/19/2012, 04:23 PM
Does he still do it at a restaurant? Maybe take questions from patrons. Most people are not asses when they have to look the coach in the face.

Seamus
10/19/2012, 04:34 PM
This is an open forum, so by all means sound off.

But if the insular nature of the program really rankles you, start bombing Castiglione's and Boren's email and snailmail boxes. It may do no good, but it's more proactive than kvetching about it on a message board.

Edmond Sooner
10/19/2012, 05:50 PM
Don't really care one way or another whether he takes calls or not since I don't follow the show, but the one time I did listen to it I did happen to hear one of the dumbest questions ever put to a football coach by a radio caller. Guy called in and basically said that it seemed every time he watched OU play on TV they lost, but when he just listened to it on the radio, they won. He then asked Stoops what he thought should be done about that situation, and he wasn't joking: he was as serious as the day is long.

Granted, I haven't listened since, but if the regular flow of callers on that show have been anything like that on a consistent basis over the years, can't really say I blame him.

8timechamps
10/19/2012, 06:25 PM
I watched the first couple of shows, and was embarrassed by several of the calls. I was embarrassed as a fan, that there were other Sooner fans out there so dumb.

I quit watching the show because it became boring listening to the callers. I'd be much more interested in an hour long show that gives me more in depth info about our players or the games.

MamaMia
10/19/2012, 06:45 PM
Its going to be interesting to see what twitter questions they'll allow. :D

Always_Sooner
10/19/2012, 08:11 PM
I remember a few guys that wouldn't talk to the media if they could avoid it, and turned out just fine. Anyone remembers a Parcells or Bellechek?

hvhurricane
10/19/2012, 09:03 PM
I thinks what rankles a lot of people about something like this is it's just another way Bob Stoops has cut the fans off form the program. When Stoops came here it was all about embracing tradition, being held accountable and generally being an accessible coach. For a few years he sort of was but over the last ten years he has became a lot more caustic with the same media he was throwing kisses to when he came to OU. He closed practice sessions. Sidesteps lots not just the dumb questions but reasonable questions too. In general not a very fan/media friendly coach. The program is just too insular for a place like OU where the fans wants game by game details and reasons for game strategy.

While yes, he is paid to coach X&O's, he also has other responsibilities as HC of a high profile program. It's the high profile nature of his job that allows him to cash out his humongous checks. He might have to suffer the questions of fools. Bud and Barry did it. I'm sure those guys were secretly rolling their eyes too at a lot of dumb questions. So while it's not a big deal, in and of itself to not take live calls, it is just another tweak to the nose of the fans.

This is exactly right. I know there are obviously a ton of stupid people that call into the show, but there are a lot more stupid people that call into the show and kiss his ***. If anybody asks a legitimate football question, in any setting, he gets pissed and shuts off more access to his program. It would be nice to see OU do a Full Access show on ESPN, but I don't think Bob would ever agree to it. Somebody might pick up something during the show that would cause him to lose a game.

And BTW, Stoops is paid by the athletic department, not the university. His job is to obviously win games. Yes, he beat UT. Great win. We will see how the rest of the season plays out. He has obviously been beaten in recruiting the past few years. That is obviously an aspect of his job nobody will ever be able to ask him about. And there is never a question that can't be answered by him by simply stating that the team needs to "execute better." He truly never believes it is a coaching issue.

Seamus
10/19/2012, 09:08 PM
He has obviously been beaten in recruiting the past few years.

Please elaborate.

olevetonahill
10/19/2012, 09:08 PM
This is exactly right. I know there are obviously a ton of stupid people that call into the show, but there are a lot more stupid people that call into the show and kiss his ***. If anybody asks a legitimate football question, in any setting, he gets pissed and shuts off more access to his program. It would be nice to see OU do a Full Access show on ESPN, but I don't think Bob would ever agree to it. Somebody might pick up something during the show that would cause him to lose a game.

And BTW, Stoops is paid by the athletic department, not the university. His job is to obviously win games. Yes, he beat UT. Great win. We will see how the rest of the season plays out. He has obviously been beaten in recruiting the past few years. That is obviously an aspect of his job nobody will ever be able to ask him about. And there is never a question that can't be answered by him by simply stating that the team needs to "execute better." He truly never believes it is a coaching issue.

You sir are a Dumas, why are you still green?

Seamus
10/19/2012, 09:45 PM
And Olevet dusts off a worn leather pouch, and slowly pulls out a weathered negspek hammer given to him by none other than Teddy Roosevelt himself ...

8timechamps
10/19/2012, 10:18 PM

I get where you're coming from, but when has Stoops failed to answer a real football question from the media? He may not answer it the way you like, but he answers it nonetheless (and by "you", I mean the viewer).

Stoops can get defensive about certain things, but I've never heard/seen him not answer a real football question.

Also, ESPN just did an all-access show on OU last season. Many think that this was part of the reason some on last year's team felt entitled (or at least it added fuel to an already burning fire).

StoopTroup
10/19/2012, 10:24 PM
And there is never a question that can't be answered by him by simply stating that the team needs to "execute better."

Then what the heck difference does it make if he's going to answer things like that?

What a waste of time. Your just bitching and moaning about something that your own answer for Bob doesn't appease anyone. You won't be happy if he did that either. You'd just create another stupid thread like this one.

8timechamps
10/19/2012, 10:28 PM
Then what the heck difference does it make if he's going to answer things like that?

What a waste of time. Your just bitching and moaning about something that your own answer for Bob doesn't appease anyone. You won't be happy if he did that either. You'd just create another stupid thread like this one.

Some people would only be happy if Stoops broke into tears and begged for help from the fans to win games.

olevetonahill
10/19/2012, 10:30 PM
And Olevet dusts off a worn leather pouch, and slowly pulls out a weathered negspek hammer given to him by none other than Teddy Roosevelt himself ...

Naw, Ima Kinder gentler Olevet these days, Besides Phil broke my hammer, The Bastage

rainiersooner
10/19/2012, 11:13 PM

Why is part of his job answering questions on the telephone? I agree that his job should be to to be accountable to his customers, like any "leader" of a "product" but the forum/medium matters...he is accountable in many ways, but giving a forum to random people to ask un moderated questions? Let me put it this way...how does it make him better at his core job which is developing young men and winning games? Great some redneck from Choctaw feels better about himself for asking stoops about his game plan....woopee I don't see how that is part of his job

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2012, 11:18 PM
I remember watching the Switzer show and I don't remember any call in segment (admittedly, the 70s are just a blur now). I do remember Barry going through the game play by play where they had all the time between the whistle and the next snap edited out, so it was just rapid fire. It was an extremely informative show as Barry would say what play it was, why it worked or didn't work and who did something outstanding or made an error. So if something negative happened, it wasn't a vague we need to execute better, it was this guy missed his block or this guy was in the wrong gap to make a tackle. You really got the feel of what and how much was going on in a game and I couldn't wait for that show. He won most his games during that time, but he handled losses in the same manner. Just matter of fact and truthful and didn't throw anyone under the bus.

EDIT: if he had any callers, they either were not worth remembering or I had turned off the show by then. No way any random fan could have added to what he already said.

TrueBornSooner
10/20/2012, 04:49 AM
Back in Switzer's day the shows weren't analyzed, recorded and rebroadcast on 24 hour cable. If he called out a couple of players it didn't get broadcast for the world to see. These were very local shows. Now, ever utterance from a head coach to a fan can be all across the Internet before you can say "Boomer Sooner!" It's no wonder they start to insulate themselves. Fan appeasement isn't their primary job description.

We were lucky enough to meet Stoops once by the Switzer Center after a practice. He signed autographs for some kids and posed for a picture with my daughter. He was very gracious. He didn't have to stop, but I get the impression he likes stopping for the kiddos.

10/20/2012, 07:02 AM
I wanted to ask him if he likes the movie, Castaway, 'cause I sure do.

Crimsontothecore
10/20/2012, 08:52 AM
His money comes from the university, not us, so why should he have to talk to us? When he asks us fans to show up and cheer loudly, I just do what he says. :) Thats our job.

That's about as dumb as a comment can be. Just how much would the university pay him if the program didn't have the huge fan base it does? A fan base, I might add, that's comprised of people just like those who want to call the coaches show but can no longer do so. Without us as fans (even the ones asking stupid questions) the program would not enjoy the status is has and Stoops would not be on the pedestal he occupies or be worthy of that huge paycheck.

I just don't get his despise for the media that has now spilled over into him despising fans as well. He should have every bit as much gratitude towards fans as they do for him. Our dedication to the program absolutely benefits him as the head coach and to think otherwise is ridiculous. On the other side of the coin, I don't benefit in any way when OU wins or loses other than a temporary "fell good" moment like the rest of fans. I just don't get how you can have a dream job like being a D-1 head coach at a traditional power, bring home over 5mil a year and somehow appear irritated and edgy every time your in front of a microphone.

No, he's not obligated to speak to fans or even acknowledge us in any way, but I would hope he would want to recognize fans contribution to his job as opposed to becoming more elitist.

MichiganSooner
10/20/2012, 09:32 AM
Bob does a tremendous job acknowledging the fans. If you have a question for his radio show then send the station an email or letter. You are forgetting him visiting kids in the hospitals, and better yet, taking his players with him when he visits. You are ignoring the post above where TrueBornSooner says some kids got autographs after practice and his daughter got her photo taken with Coach. You have never seen the photo of my son and 8 other Pride members who got their picture taken with Coach Stoops after a small band showed up to play Boomer Sooner in the middle of the week. Regular students in jeans and shorts, holding their instruments and Coach Stoops in the middle with both hands over their shoulders, grinning from ear to ear. Bob is genuine and caring. He represents our university with class.

cleller
10/20/2012, 09:34 AM
Phones and people are both too widespread, and overrated.

cherokeebrewer
10/20/2012, 10:08 AM
Bob does a tremendous job acknowledging the fans. If you have a question for his radio show then send the station an email or letter. You are forgetting him visiting kids in the hospitals, and better yet, taking his players with him when he visits. You are ignoring the post above where TrueBornSooner says some kids got autographs after practice and his daughter got her photo taken with Coach. You have never seen the photo of my son and 8 other Pride members who got their picture taken with Coach Stoops after a small band showed up to play Boomer Sooner in the middle of the week. Regular students in jeans and shorts, holding their instruments and Coach Stoops in the middle with both hands over their shoulders, grinning from ear to ear. Bob is genuine and caring. He represents our university with class.

All fans who sweat the small stuff should take this post to heart...

MamaMia
10/20/2012, 06:23 PM
Some people would only be happy if Stoops broke into tears and begged for help from the fans to win games.Coach Long ran a play that I suggested at the team hotel the night before a Texas Tech game. I promise to God in Heaven above that I'm telling the truth. We won that game too, and I helped! It really really happened. I swear on a stack of bibles! :D