PDA

View Full Version : Car Stereo gurus (installation)

8timechamps
10/18/2012, 06:53 PM
I am not a car stereo expert at all. I am in the process of "restoring" (upgrading) a 1997 Jeep Wrangler, and I am working on the interior. This Wrangler did not come with a sound bar (speakers overhead, attached to the roll bar). I recently ordered a 6 speaker soundbar w/ dome light and it arrived this week. I've already changed out the front 4x6 speakers, and this weekend, I'm going to install the sound bar.

So, my questions are:

1. Since this particular model didn't come with a soundbar, there is no existing wiring, will I have to splice into the harness?

2. If yes (and I suspect this to be the case) How can I tell where I need to splice? I'm assuming the factory radio wasn't wired for rear speakers, however, I've installed an aftermarket stereo that is. I just need to know where to wire.

3. Do I need an amplifier? Like I said, I'm clueless when it comes to audio sound.

mojorisen2014
10/18/2012, 11:00 PM
If you have installed an aftermarket stereo there should be a couple of unspliced wires on the back of the unit for the rear speakers. I think the stereo should have enough wattage to make the sound bar sound decent. You could go with a amp anywhere from 40-80 watts. I prefer the old school Punch amps.

8timechamps
10/20/2012, 02:03 PM
If you have installed an aftermarket stereo there should be a couple of unspliced wires on the back of the unit for the rear speakers. I think the stereo should have enough wattage to make the sound bar sound decent. You could go with a amp anywhere from 40-80 watts. I prefer the old school Punch amps.

THANKS mojo! It doesn't sound bad, but I'm thinking an amp would help a lot (especially with the bass).

What is a "Punch" amp? Is that a brand?

pphilfran
10/20/2012, 03:35 PM
Yes, Punch is a brand...

pphilfran
10/20/2012, 03:47 PM
Even though your Jeep had no factory soundbar it may still have the wiring...

According to this this site http://www.modifiedlife.com/1997-jeep-wrangler-car-radio-stereo-wiring-diagram/ you should look for the following wires coming from the factory system...brown/yellow, brown/blue, blue/white, and blue/red...if you have those then you probably have the wiring going to the roll bar...

If you do install an amp be sure to use a solid ground point or you can get a buzz or noise out of the system...best to try to ground everything at the same point to avoid the noise...

I have done a bunch of multiamp systems over the years so if you need some basic tech help don't hesitate to ask....