PDA

View Full Version : Saban to the Cowboys?

achiro
10/18/2012, 09:29 AM
I only caught about 45 seconds this morning on the sports animal so I could easily have lost the translation in the lack of context but the dude talking said Saban wants to go back to the pros and it will probably be the cowboys at the end of this season. I hadn't heard ANYONE say that before. Anyone know what he was talking about?

KantoSooner
10/18/2012, 09:35 AM
That would make for an interesting off season in college ball with UT and Bama jobs both in play at the same time (and Arkie and possibly another few top flight-ish schools).

goingoneight
10/18/2012, 09:37 AM
Makes sense... Jerry going after another retread NFL coach.

achiro
10/18/2012, 10:03 AM
Do you think Garrett is done or do they keep him and work at the QB position?

thecrimsoncrusader
10/18/2012, 10:49 AM
Is it easy to cheat in the NFL?

Sabanball
10/18/2012, 10:56 AM
Not true--haven't you heard, he's going to Cleveland to coach the Browns.;)

Scott D
10/18/2012, 10:59 AM
They talked about it on Mike & Mike this morning, and they agreed that while Saban may at some point want to go back to the NFL. That considering how much player personnel control he insisted upon in Miami would never happen in Dallas. It's also been considered that Alabama fans should probably be sending all kinds of gifts to the Miami Dolphins medical staff because it's quite possible that all that stood between Saban staying in the NFL and Saban going to Alabama was the fact that they felt that Drew Brees was far too damaged of goods for Saban to sign.

achiro
10/18/2012, 10:59 AM

You won't be smiling when he takes off...

badger
10/18/2012, 11:18 AM

They once said that about Stoops. :D

BUT - Sabieball, you have to admit that while Bob Stoops has had ONE head coaching job in his ENTIRE coaching career, Nick Satan has left several - the Geaux Tigers, the Miami Fish and Meatchicken State. His record is against him in this category.

And Bammer's record is against it as well. Since Gene Stallings' retirement, you have had FOUR head coaches (five if you include Mike Price, lulz (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1028730/index.htm)).

I do agree that Little Nicky would be a d@mn fool to leave, but then again, I don't know if the NCAA is about to hit you with another postseason ban or something. How much does Phil Fulmer known about your recruiting these days? :D

HToady
10/18/2012, 11:19 AM
So let me get this straight.

Jerry Jones is going to call Saban in and say, "I would like you to be the Dallas Cowboys head sideline coach, but make no mistake, I make all of the personnel decisions, and you will continue to play Tony Romo!"

Yea...no thanks.

Breadburner
10/18/2012, 11:19 AM
The Cowboy coaching job is a joke......!!!

ouleaf
10/18/2012, 11:23 AM
While I think Garrett could be a good head coach, he needs to give up the reigns on play-calling and just focus on overall game management (which i realize he screwed up big time this past week). To his credit though, he can only work with the talent he is given. Yes he has some star, elite players, but that alone is not good enough.

Jerry wants control over the players he brings in, and he has done a terrible job of that. The last coach he gave control to on player personnel was Parcells and that was about the last time the Cowboys were even relevant.

I don't think Saban could stand being under Jerry's thumb, plus that Alabama gig is better than just about any HC job in the NFL imo. I don't see why he would want to bother with the NFL again.

Sabanball
10/18/2012, 11:48 AM
You won't be smiling when he takes off...

..And you won't be smiling when all this comes to nothing. You guys are chasing fools gold on this one and are letting wishful thinking get the best of you-- Nick took a pay CUT when he left the pros to come to Bama and already turned down an $8mil/yr offer from Texas back in jan/feb of this yr. He's built something very special here, has total control over the program with state of the art facilities, and has an opportunity to go down as one of the all time greats--I'm talking up there with Bryant, Leahy, and Rockne--if he stays and just wins 1 or 2 more NC's. He's 61 yrs old and has already been here longer than he has been anywhere else.

Keep thinking it if you want, but he's not going anywhere. Sorry, but college football fans are going to have to continue for to put up with the Saban Effect for the foreseeable future....

goingoneight
10/18/2012, 11:51 AM
The reason a lot of coaches want the NFL is simply rules-rules-rules. You're handicapped as a CFB coach. When you consider all of the time you're NOT allowed to practice and NOT allowed to have contact with your team. Then, you recruit your azz off *hoping* to get the players you want. You're basically a part time coach compared to the actual amount of time and energy you can invest in being at the next level. It's not for everybody; but some coaches do prefer one over the other. Depends on the guy they are. Also, rules-rules-rules... the NCAA is far more a pain in the *** than the NFL. Just ask Barry Switzer and Jimmy Johnson.

cleller
10/18/2012, 11:55 AM
I can't imagine why he (or top college coach) would want to go to the NFL. The college game is more fun, and the money is no selling factor.

I guess the NCAA regs and behavior monitoring might wear you down in college, but the NFL is a big corporate comedy factory. College is getting there, too, but not as bad.

goingoneight
10/18/2012, 12:04 PM
College game is more fun for the fans. Those jobs may pay a lot, but they're no cakewalk to be successful. CFBHC and NFLHC are two completely different animals. That said, the difference is ten wins, an occasional BCS win earns you a lifetime contract as CFBHC. Falling one win short of an AFC Championship can get you canned in the NFL. Look at Dallas for instance. The Cowboys D for years now has puked down their leg and put the game on the offense's (quarterback's) shoulders. Garrett could end up being unemployed the next time Tony hands the opposition a win. That won't happen to Stoops.

agoo758
10/18/2012, 12:07 PM
..And you won't be smiling when all this comes to nothing. You guys are chasing fools gold on this one and are letting wishful thinking get the best of you-- Nick took a pay CUT when he left the pros to come to Bama and already turned down an $8mil/yr offer from Texas back in jan/feb of this yr. He's built something very special here, has total control over the program with state of the art facilities, and has an opportunity to go down as one of the all time greats--I'm talking up there with Bryant, Leahy, and Rockne--if he stays and just wins 1 or 2 more NC's. He's 61 yrs old and has already been here longer than he has been anywhere else.

Keep thinking it if you want, but he's not going anywhere. Sorry, but college football fans are going to have to continue for to put up with the Saban Effect for the foreseeable future....

Just because he rejected Texas the first time doesn't mean he they, or anyone else for that matter, will try again, and it doesn't mean that Saban won't reconsider.

badger
10/18/2012, 12:11 PM
You guys are chasing fools gold on this one and are letting wishful thinking get the best of you

Does anyone here wish Nick Satan to be anywhere else besides Bammer, away from regular OU competition, several states away from our recruiting areas, and most importantly, away from UT-Austin so that we can keep beating them?

Also, as a Packers fan who can remember the mid-90s quite vividly, I am in no hurry for the Dallas Cowboys to get a real coach (or better quarterback, even if Tony Romo grew up in Wisconsin loving the Packers and Favre like me).

So please, keep Saban. And please, make the rest of the SEC suffer so that we no longer hear about your conference, just you guys. Why can't you be more like OU in this category? Don't hear anyone chanting BIG 12! BIG 12! for a reason --- we control our conference football-wise. There's OU and everyone else. Why can the SEC be Bammer and everyone else? AND WHY DID YOU LET YOUR LITTLE IN-STATE BROTHER WIN THE NATIONAL TITLE AND HEISMAN?!

Seriously Sabz - OU might not be claiming as many national titles as you, but we've got you beat in many areas.

tycat947
10/18/2012, 12:43 PM
Why would tu have offered Saban $8M in Jan/Feb 2012 when there wasn't a head coach opening???

SoonerinSouthlake
10/18/2012, 12:56 PM
Why would tu have offered Saban $8M in Jan/Feb 2012 when there wasn't a head coach opening???

agree with tycat...unless that can be shown to me with a bit more proof...not sure I believe this one.

Sabanball
10/18/2012, 03:19 PM

Please..... you're not really that naive, are you? Rest assured, the overture was made and you can take it to the bank. And frankly, if you're Texas, why would you NOT go after the best coach in the game, especially if he has no buyout?

smackramensooner
10/18/2012, 03:26 PM

Replace "Saban" with "Carroll" and this sounds really familiar...

Sabanball
10/18/2012, 03:40 PM
No matter what you do for a living, you never turn down a conversation with a headhunter, even if it is on your cell with your agent. If you don't think Texas has a few, I've got a swamp to sell.

KantoSooner
10/18/2012, 04:00 PM
Hey Sabanball, I heard that whereever Nick goes, he's in an armored SUV, with Alabama highway patrol outriders. And that this was part of his employment agreement. Is this true?

MamaMia
10/18/2012, 04:03 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah...all you need is just that ONE more National Championship. Whatever. I'm in the camp that agrees hes probably not going anywhere anytime soon, but this "Saben Effect" thing. Is that kind of like the Stoops Effect or even the "Miles Effect?" If so, I wouldn't be counting my chickens before they hatch.

Oh, and Bear Bryant couldn't hold Barry Switzer's jock strap. How many National Championships do y'all have again? Sorry, I lose track.

Sabanball
10/18/2012, 04:16 PM
Oh, and Bear Bryant couldn't hold Barry Switzer's jock strap

Bryant won 5 AP NC's, Switzer won 3.

8timechamps
10/18/2012, 04:22 PM
Please..... you're not really that naive, are you? Rest assured, the overture was made and you can take it to the bank. And frankly, if you're Texas, why would you NOT go after the best coach in the game, especially if he has no buyout?

It would be naive to believe something posted on the internet as fact. I really don't believe this happened. I could be wrong, but unless I see something factual, I'm not buying the "this was a back channel deal".

Sabanball
10/18/2012, 04:24 PM
Hey Sabanball, I heard that whereever Nick goes, he's in an armored SUV, with Alabama highway patrol outriders. And that this was part of his employment agreement. Is this true?

No. However, he does have a driver at his disposal. When I used to live in Tuscaloosa, he actually came in and got a haircut where I was at and his driver was chaffeuring him around that day.

MamaMia
10/18/2012, 04:26 PM
Oh, and Bear Bryant couldn't hold Barry Switzer's jock strap

Bryant won 5 AP NC's, Switzer won 3.
How many times did Bear Bryant agree to play OU?

Sabanball
10/18/2012, 04:27 PM
It would be naive to believe something posted on the internet as fact. I really don't believe this happened. I could be wrong, but unless I see something factual, I'm not buying the "this was a back channel deal".

I didn't say there was a 'deal', there was a gauging of interest through an agent and a verbal offer was tendered. By the way, if you think the same thing has not happened with Bob and other schools/the pros, then you truly are naive. When you get to their level, this kind of thing goes on ALL the time.

8timechamps
10/18/2012, 04:30 PM
I didn't say there was a 'deal', there was a gauging of interest through an agent and a verbal offer was tendered. By the way, if you think the same thing has not happened with Bob and other schools/the pros, then you truly are naive. When you get to their level, this kind of thing goes on ALL the time.

As in any industry, the best are going to be constantly sought after. However, I find it extremely hard to believe that Texas would offer a job to Saban given that Mack's extension was announced in the off season and there was a lot of excitement coming into this year. I'm not saying that you are making it up, I'm saying that I think someone is.

Sabanball
10/18/2012, 04:38 PM
How many times did Bear Bryant agree to play OU?

Three times--1951 sugar bowl, 1963 Orange Bowl, and the 1970 bluebonnet bowl. I DO know that Barry wanted no part of Bama or the other good SEC teams at that time(Georgia, mainly comes to mind) during his tenure. He told me himself when I asked him that very question back in '85/'86.

That being said, I really wish our two '78 teams could have played. Probably would have been a classic. ON the other hand, I am definitely glad we did not have to play you guys in the mid '80's--no telling how bad you would have beat us during that time period.

badger
10/18/2012, 04:47 PM
Regardless of everything else, I have just one question for Sabanball:
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/01/14/t1larg.newton.gi.jpg
HOW COULD YOU ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN?! This is on YOU, not on the Ducks for giving up the late touchdown, this is on YOU, Alabama, for a wide variety of reasons:

1- Blowing that big Iron Bowl lead.
2- They are YOUR little brother, not anyone else's.
3- S-E-C! S-E-C!
4- Crimson is supposed to dominate orange when it matters most.
5- The HEISMAN! You let your little brother win the HEISMAN too?!?!
6- However many national titles you guys claim, it is far more than the ONE they are allowed to claim!

:mad: Dammit, CONTROL your younger sibling, will you?! I want you to get them the death penalty, and I'm not just talking about that stupid tree. The poker chips, the church repairs, the HBO thing... surely there's SOMETHING in there you can use to get them relegated to D-II????

MamaMia
10/18/2012, 04:52 PM
Alabama averaged 1 every 5 years when Bear was there then? Are those real NCs, or some of those faux NCs you all are so famous for claiming? At any rate, Barry Switzer won 1 real NC every 5 years.

MamaMia
10/18/2012, 04:53 PM
Three times--1951 sugar bowl, 1963 Orange Bowl, and the 1970 bluebonnet bowl. I DO know that Barry wanted no part of Bama or the other good SEC teams at that time(Georgia, mainly comes to mind) during his tenure. He told me himself when I asked him that very question back in '85/'86.

That being said, I really wish our two '78 teams could have played. Probably would have been a classic. ON the other hand, I am definitely glad we did not have to play you guys in the mid '80's--no telling how bad you would have beat us during that time period.I heard it was the other way around. If you think Barry Switzer was afraid to play anyone, your nuts.

Y'all are too yellow bellied to schedule a home and home with Wisconsin! :D

I thought the 1951 Sugar Bowl was OU and the Kentucky Wildcats?

As far as the 1970 bluebonnet bowl...that was a tie but you had lost 5 games that year to our 4.

tycat947
10/18/2012, 04:59 PM

Thanks NICK, for clearing everything up!

tycat947
10/18/2012, 05:08 PM
I heard it was the other way around. If you think Barry Switzer was afrad to play anyone, your nuts.

Y'all are too yellow bellied to schedule a home and home with Wisconsin! :D

You're exactly right! Bear called the bowl shots and definitely avoided OU. Bear avoided playing the good SEC teams. Back in the 70's they were playing only 5 or 6 conference games a season in a 10 team conference.

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2012, 05:15 PM
Badger, I'm not much on conspiracies, but that Auburn win over 'Bama was suspicious. Something like this probably did not happen:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nick (on the headphones): We got them now guys, this drive puts them away!

Voice on headphones: Nick, a quick word.

Nick: Who the heck is this on the comm line? I'm in the middle of a game here!@

Voice: It's Mike Slive and I need a favor.

Nick: Mike, I'm kinda busy here whipping an arch rival.

Mike: I need you to take your foot off the gas as this 24-0 whipping is not acceptable.

Nick: Er? This is AUBURN, my fans want this more than going to heaven.

Mike: You had your shot and you've lost 2 games already, Auburn it he best shot to keep this SEC string alive. It's for the greater good.

Nick: I have to call a play here or I'll get delay of game, I can't deal with this now.

Mike: I'll call for a commercial break, no worries. I need you to let up. I'm not saying throw the game, but let them back in and then see how it turns out. Lets' hear it Nick - SEC! SEC!

Nick: sec sec (in solemn tones).

Mike: Now call your play. And another thing, leave that DB in the game that torn his pectoral. That way if Cam happens to complete a pass, you're guy will bounce off and make it look like he's trying.

Nick: Sweep right with Ingram, have him slow a step and and let the tackler bat the ball out from behind (Nick bites tongue).

Mike: That's the spirit! SEC! SEC! SEC!

Nick: sec. BTW, how come Les gets every lucky break go his way? Is that your doing?

Mike: No, he made a deal with... let's just say he made a deal. When it's time to repay, he won't be happy - leave it at that? BTW, you'll win it all again next year, so chin up! SEC! SEC!

Nick: sec. (grumble)

MamaMia
10/18/2012, 05:26 PM
You're exactly right! Bear called the bowl shots and definitely avoided OU. Bear avoided playing the good SEC teams. Back in the 70's they were playing only 5 or 6 conference games a season in a 10 team conference.

Barry Switzer AKA... The master recruiter :D

Bear Bryant AKA... The master game scheduler http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn132/aivo12/chicken_rap.gif

MamaMia
10/18/2012, 06:04 PM

We're naive everybody and Nick Saben is the BEST coach in the game. :D

Oh, and Bear Bryant is better than Barry Switzer who was too askeered to play Alabama. We know that because The King told Sabenball himself.

VA Sooner
10/18/2012, 07:27 PM
Don't think it will happen.... Saban doesn't like the NFL model because he can't micro-manage the team. He can't exert his full authority over it all like a college team. Too much time and energy wasted trying to keep the prima donnas happy in the NFL world.

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2012, 11:03 PM
Don't think it will happen.... Saban doesn't like the NFL model because he can't micro-manage the team. He can't exert his full authority over it all like a college team. Too much time and energy wasted trying to keep the prima donnas happy in the NFL world.

He would demand GM and HC to take such a job. I don't see how any big time college coach would want an NFL job. Instead of making the recruiting job easy by winning more, the more you win, the lower your draft picks and the harder your schedule the next season. But it's certainly more of a challenge for the ego types. Keeping your job for 8-10 years is a huge accomplishment in the NFL.

mhackl
10/20/2012, 11:20 PM
This is impossible as he has to be going to UT according to whorn fans. Jerry is no match for the cash cows.

Eielson
10/20/2012, 11:29 PM
He's 61 yrs old and has already been here longer than he has been anywhere else.

Exactly. That's not a good sign.