PDA

View Full Version : I couldn't wait until Thanksgiving

MamaMia
10/17/2012, 08:58 PM
I just had to have some turkey, so I made a miniature Thanksgiving dinner...
turkey breast, dressing, gravy, cranberries, a salad and a small sweet potato pie. It was yummy. I do that about twice a year, even if its not a holiday. I make just a small version. Do y'all ever do that?

olevetonahill
10/17/2012, 09:01 PM
Ima do a Turkey dinner this year. I usually go to my Sons or sisters, But then I dont get many left overs
Ima do the whole thing and Just pig out

MamaMia
10/17/2012, 09:05 PM
Ima do a Turkey dinner this year. I usually go to my Sons or sisters, But then I dont get many left overs
Ima do the whole thing and Just pig outGood for you! Leftovers are the best part. :D

I'm making a ham for Christmas.

olevetonahill
10/17/2012, 09:16 PM
Good for you! Leftovers are the best part. :D

I'm making a ham for Christmas.

My Mom always made the Turkey and dressin fer Both

olevetonahill
10/17/2012, 09:17 PM
Oh and I may and Prolly will still go to My sons or sisters , save Mine for ALL leftovers

StoopTroup
10/17/2012, 09:19 PM
Billy Sims BBQ has Smoked Turkey Breast at his place at the Farm Shopping Center in Tulsa. Don't know if it's as good at the other stores but it's really good here.

MamaMia
10/17/2012, 10:26 PM
Yeah, my mother always made ham and turkey for Christmas. Different things go with ham, that doesn't go with turkey, so thats a LOT of cooking. She would make at least 2 cranberry dishes. There was so much food on her table, there was barely any room for peoples plates. There was more food in the kitchen that wasn't even on the table. We would be in that kitchen for 3 days. I was so happy when I got my drivers license. That way I could be the runner. :D

Heck...when we went off to school, she would send leftovers home with us and there still wasn't hardly any place in the fridge to store what stayed there. I make one or the other. I'm just not that energetic. :O

MamaMia
10/17/2012, 10:33 PM
One year, all the Masons in my family asked me to make turkeys for what they call "The One." I made 5 turkeys for them. It was at the Windsor Bowling Alley. It didn't involve dressing though. Thank goodness.

SoonerAtKU
10/22/2012, 02:08 PM
I usually do a mid-year dinner to try out new stuff for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Some time around June or July so there's plenty of time in between. I've been toying with the idea of doing some kind of Thanksgiving sandwich. Turkey, cranberry relish, a dash of gravy. I do wonder, though, if it would be possible to make "bread" slices out of cornbread stuffing. If anyone has any ideas, I'll try em out.

SunnySooner
10/22/2012, 08:41 PM
I use my mama's recipe and make kick *** cornbread dressing, that the entire family wolfs down like they haven't eaten since the 4th of July...twice a year. Thanksgiving and Christmas. That's it. IDK why!?!??! It ain't hard, I use the crock-pot for cryin'outloud!!! I just never make it unless it's an Offishul Holiday. Maybe it's a mystique thing, life is weird.

Chuck Bao
10/23/2012, 01:31 AM
I use my mama's recipe and make kick *** cornbread dressing, that the entire family wolfs down like they haven't eaten since the 4th of July...twice a year. Thanksgiving and Christmas. That's it. IDK why!?!??! It ain't hard, I use the crock-pot for cryin'outloud!!! I just never make it unless it's an Offishul Holiday. Maybe it's a mystique thing, life is weird.

Same here. It is tradition and not to be messed with and served only twice each year. My mom learned how to make Oklahoma-style cornbread dressing and giblet gravy from my great aunts more than 50 years ago. There is no recipe for it and not everyone has the aptitude to make it well. I just help cut up the onions and celery.

MamaMia
10/23/2012, 04:34 AM
Here is a time saving tip. Turkey is a healthy meat to serve. I made a turkey for a family reunion that was in mid August. I didn't need the broth because we were using it just for sandwiches and to have with baked beans, macaroni and potato salads. So, I saved it in the freezer. When you do that, the fat rises to the top and can easily be removed. Having the made-ahead broth in the freezer enables you to be able to make your gravy whenever you want to, while your next turkey is still in the oven. Plus you can concentrate on the rolls that are in the oven and making sure the beverages are ready and all the last minutes details are taken care of, instead of having to hurry to make the gravy. You can do this with a turkey breast as well. Then you just save the new broth from the turkey you're making for the next turkey with gravy meal. :)

SoonerAtKU
10/24/2012, 11:25 AM
It's more work, but if you use the roast carcass from Thanksgiving and make a big batch of stock the next day, you can have turkey stock all year long and just refill every year. God, I can't wait to have a large freezer.