PDA

View Full Version : Clemson defense after 6 games

Widescreen
10/16/2012, 03:33 PM
Total Defense - Ranked #97 (445 yards/game)
Rushing Defense - Ranked #99 (202 yards/game)
Passing Efficiency Defense - Ranked #79
Scoring Defense - Ranked #69 (27 pts/game)

I wonder if Clemson feels like they're getting their $800k worth.

Meanwhile in Norman:
Total Defense - Ranked #14 (300 yards/game)
Rushing Defense - Ranked #40 (128 yards/game)
Passing Efficiency Defense - Ranked #9
Scoring Defense - Ranked #20 (17 pts/game)

I like the way things are heading for our defense. They seem to be getting better every week as they understand what Mike's trying to do.

Boomer.....
10/16/2012, 03:35 PM
Sometimes simpler is better.

KantoSooner
10/16/2012, 04:07 PM
I have no idea why Venables keeps pushing his rope. This year has really opened my eyes.

Breadburner
10/16/2012, 04:11 PM
Is he the D.C...???

MyT Oklahoma
10/16/2012, 04:20 PM
Is he the D.C...???

Last I knew, yes.

KantoSooner
10/16/2012, 04:20 PM
At Clemson? Yes.

BajaOklahoma
10/16/2012, 04:24 PM
Is he the D.C...???

His title says so, but ....

StoopTroup
10/16/2012, 04:26 PM
Looks like one guy did a better job of recruiting.

http://www.allanstanglin.com/wp-content/uploads/johnblake.jpg

FaninAma
10/16/2012, 04:45 PM
Shhhhh! Don't let StoopTroop see this post. As the last apologist for Brent he will be all over this like a fly on honey. Oops, too late.

Actually I was a Venables supporter for most of his stay at OU. I started becoming disenchanted after the Boise State and WVU debacles. I think he is a smart guy but his defensive schemes would probably translate better at the next level.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/16/2012, 06:53 PM
You made me curious so I wandered over and looked at their depth chart. Looks like 2 returning starters with more than 1/2 their defensive players being underclassmen. They are alsoway undersized (they have a 190 lb linebacker in the 2 deep) up front (resulting in them getting getting gashed by the run). It looks like they get no pressure and even with 2 senior safeties they are getting lit up on the backend (most likely by long plays).

In general, I think he is working with a worse front 7 than usual and an average back 4. I think he can overcome the run D deficiencies with time, but it looks like he has a serious systemic flaw in his defensive philosophy vis a vis the pass.

StoopTroup
10/16/2012, 06:59 PM
Shhhhh! Don't let StoopTroop see this post. As the last apologist for Brent he will be all over this like a fly on honey. Oops, too late.

Actually I was a Venables supporter for most of his stay at OU. I started becoming disenchanted after the Boise State and WVU debacles. I think he is a smart guy but his defensive schemes would probably translate better at the next level.

Evidently...not the last. Maybe just one of the last that doesn't have his head buried up Mike's *** after 5 Games.

olevetonahill
10/16/2012, 07:12 PM

Not gonna bash on BV Comparing Ds from Clemson to ours just dont make any sense IMHO
I will say It Looks Like Mike has got things straightened out quite a bit for OUR d and thats the only one I care about.

Is our D better THIS year than last? I gotta say yes so Mike > Brent

SoonerKnight
10/16/2012, 07:23 PM
Not gonna bash on BV Comparing Ds from Clemson to ours just dont make any sense IMHO
I will say It Looks Like Mike has got things straightened out quite a bit for OUR d and thats the only one I care about.

Is our D better THIS year than last? I gotta say yes so Mike > Brent

SEE! This is an example of simple is better.

olevetonahill
10/16/2012, 07:27 PM
SEE! This is an example of simple is better.

Its THAT simple :congratulatory:

goingoneight
10/16/2012, 07:33 PM
As one who thinks people should lay off BV, I never denied Mike would be great to have back. BV might have had his flaws, but as chief DC, his defenses twice did enough to win an MNC here. Can't rip him for five turnovers against UF and/or offensive ineptitude against LSU. I'll give him some time to improve Clemson. Some of the game's best have taken a little while to right a very wrong ship. If it's this way for two or three years, then yeah... flame away. I don't see any Aaron Colvins or Tony Jeffersons at Clemson. Everybody's favorite model coach in Tuscsloosa did the same thing in 2007 that his predecessor did in 2006.

C&CDean
10/16/2012, 07:40 PM
Here's what I've learned: God is great, beer is good, and people are ****ing stupid.

olevetonahill
10/16/2012, 07:42 PM
As one who thinks people should lay off BV, I never denied Mike would be great to have back. BV might have had his flaws, but as chief DC, his defenses twice did enough to win an MNC here. Can't rip him for five turnovers against UF and/or offensive ineptitude against LSU. I'll give him some time to improve Clemson. Some of the game's best have taken a little while to right a very wrong ship. If it's this way for two or three years, then yeah... flame away. I don't see any Aaron Colvins or Tony Jeffersons at Clemson. Everybody's favorite model coach in Tuscsloosa did the same thing in 2007 that his predecessor did in 2006.

Well said

I never have and prolly never will bash Brent and wish him the best

Soonermagik
10/16/2012, 08:14 PM
I realize he doesn't have OU's talent, but he's in a way easier conference... so that's pretty even if you ask me. I would say give the guy a few years to put his system in place. I don't think Brent was a bad coach, but it was just time for a change. I think the players needed to get a different perspective and it has worked out really well so far.

sooneron
10/16/2012, 08:37 PM
I agree that you have to give him time to implement his system at Clemson and hopefully for him, get some players that will fit it. Look at Mark Stoops his first year at FSU. They ended up being ranked 42 in total D, but they were horrific for a bit out of the gate. Our game in Norman rings a bell. They are currently ranked 3rd this year. I'm not saying that BV will field a top ten year in and out, but I bet you they will be A LOT better than their current state. Add to the fact that we have faced one top 20 offense- jumping up and down 6 games in is a little incredulous.

SoonerStormchaser
10/16/2012, 09:09 PM
Here's what I've learned: God is great, beer is good, poontang is awesome, and Whorns are ****ing ghey!
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Curly Bill
10/17/2012, 07:23 AM
BV was an okay to good DC, definitely not a great one, and I as much or more than anyone am glad he's gone!

OUmillenium
10/17/2012, 07:30 AM
BV will do a good job at Clemson given some time and recruiting.

Mike is doing a great job for the Sooners.