PDA

View Full Version : Which program has to worry the most about losing their head coach to Texas?

badger
10/16/2012, 12:22 PM
Remember when Bob Stoops used to be mentioned with every major college head coach opening and then finally the networks were like "Eff it, he's never leaving OU" and never mention him again? :D

Well, Mack Brown is going to be gone at Texas, I think we can all agree on that. He might not say that he's leaving, he might say that he has booster and admin support, but he is leaving. We all know it.

Sooo... who does Texas open their checkbook for? Remember that this is whorn - money is no object (and neither is brains, because they have none when it comes to coaching hires).

Check any and all that apply.

StoopTroup
10/16/2012, 12:25 PM
KU?

Eastern Michigan?

badger
10/16/2012, 12:26 PM
Note: The nominees are all of the coaches at the bottom of the coaches hot seat (http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm), with a few exceptions - Bob Stoops isn't leaving OU and Bill Snyder isn't leaving K-State, so I omitted them, and added three that were a bit higher - Baylor's Art Briles, WVU's Dana Holgorsen and Florida's Will Muschamp.

StoopTroup
10/16/2012, 12:31 PM
I still think I'm right. At 0-6 Eastern Michigan's Coach would sure look much better as HC of the Austin Bevo's.

KantoSooner
10/16/2012, 12:54 PM
What would they have to give Saban to get him? $7 million? $10? More? A private estate on the Mexican border and free rights to import all the cocaine he wished, tax free? A private army? Rights d'Seigneur over the entire state of Texas?
I mean, seriously, what would he have in Texas that he doesn't have in Alabama?

badger
10/16/2012, 01:06 PM
I'm just asking about pursuit - and once again, you can vote for more than one.

redkid
10/16/2012, 01:14 PM
mac will be there next yr''after that,who knows''prob go the NFL route,,look for garret in Dallas as a go for.

KantoSooner
10/16/2012, 01:14 PM
Oh, don't be hurt; I'm just having fun.
Charley Strong is who they ought to go after. IMHO, he had as much to do with UF's success as Urban did.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
10/16/2012, 01:15 PM
I didn't see Bob Stoops on that list. If I were Texas, I would give him $10 million a year to be their head coach just so he would stop whipping their @$$!

Fraggle145
10/16/2012, 01:20 PM
Thinking they would go coordinator route. The best out there are probably Chavis, Smart, or Mark Stoops (wouldnt that be less than awesome, not likely though). Head Coachwise I think they would target Dan Mullen from MSU.

OUinFLA
10/16/2012, 01:40 PM
I cant imagine they would take/get anyone out of the BigXII.
Possibly one of the also-rans/can't competes in the SEC.
But I am certain it will be someone with a squeeky clean past, who will present a good image for the university.
Charley Strong would be my choice, Dan Mullen would be just as good a choice.
Spurrier would be a winner IMO, but I suspect he's at his last stop, and he is really all SEC. But, with the kinda money ut can toss out there, you never know..........

But, hopefully, it will continue to be MB for as many more years as I can work the remote.

KantoSooner
10/16/2012, 01:53 PM
Oh My God! It just struck me...............

PETRINO!

MountainOkie
10/16/2012, 01:59 PM
NM

agoo758
10/16/2012, 02:03 PM
Saban is a much stronger possibility than most people think.

Texas can afford to buy out Mack's contract, as well as pay Saban more than Alabama is.

Also, I don't see many coaches hanging around an SEC school for more than ten years these days.

StoopTroup
10/16/2012, 02:04 PM
I'm just asking about pursuit - and once again, you can vote for more than one.

My guy is Mack Brown. It's hard for me to vote. Seems tu has it's own huge *** burnt orange Monster. I don't like playing Musical Chairs with their HC. They picked the last one....I'm sure they will pick another winner.....LOL

SoonerinSouthlake
10/16/2012, 02:10 PM
Thinking they would go coordinator route. The best out there are probably Chavis, Smart, or Mark Stoops (wouldnt that be less than awesome, not likely though). Head Coachwise I think they would target Dan Mullen from MSU.

NO WAY Mark Stoops would go to Texas

BoulderSooner79
10/16/2012, 02:10 PM
Snyder does have more experience than Mack. :adoration:

Patterson usually fields an excellent defense and gets a lot from his talent. UT could just buy TCU if they had to.

Breadburner
10/16/2012, 02:12 PM
Holgerson.....

SoonerinSouthlake
10/16/2012, 02:12 PM

Texas can afford to buy out Mack's contract, as well as pay Saban more than Alabama is.

Also, I don't see many coaches hanging around an SEC school for more than ten years these days.

nobody knows what that dude will do...but as much as the whorns want to insist that their job is THE best job in the country without questions, even if they were right (which they aint) Alabama is in the same category. Id doubt he's ready to stop playing with the toy he has created in Tuscaloosa

Statalyzer
10/16/2012, 04:20 PM
I'd love a look at Paul Rhodes but I don't think it's very likely.

IslandSooner
10/16/2012, 04:29 PM
I agree with Kanto..... Why not Petrino? Someone is going to give him a shot??? Might as well be Tejas :-)

Mississippi Sooner
10/16/2012, 04:34 PM
I don't think it's likely he'll wind up at Texas, but I do expect Dan Mullen to get a good offer very soon. If you can turn Mississippi State into a consistent winner, you get people's attention.

8timechamps
10/16/2012, 04:43 PM

This crossed my mind for a second, then I thought "why would Saban leave Bama?", and I can't think of a single reason. Bama would match anything UT would offer, and I don't see any reason why Saban would leave.

Dan Mullen wouldn't surprise me at all, nor would Charlie Strong. Both are overachieving at places they shouldn't and could do a lot with better facilities and recruits.

cherokeebrewer
10/16/2012, 04:48 PM
There is no way Texas would even talk to Petrino or Holgorsen. They don't fit the mold. Highly unlikely Saban would leave Bama. Sumlin is an aggie and Mack Brown in the NFL makes me laugh...Petersen, Patterson, Strong & Mullen would be good bets for interviews

BetterSoonerThanLater
10/16/2012, 04:52 PM
Ahem...i didn't see Smellsofbourbon on the list...

agoo758
10/16/2012, 04:53 PM
This crossed my mind for a second, then I thought "why would Saban leave Bama?", and I can't think of a single reason. Bama would match anything UT would offer, and I don't see any reason why Saban would leave.

Dan Mullen wouldn't surprise me at all, nor would Charlie Strong. Both are overachieving at places they shouldn't and could do a lot with better facilities and recruits.

Why did Spurrier and Meyer jump ship all of a sudden? Not the best places to live, players are generally more trouble, and the fanbases are just downright unpleasant.

I see UT as a (relatively) less stress place to finish out your coaching career.

cleller
10/16/2012, 04:54 PM
I voted for Briles, but only because I'd seen his named dropped by some angry whorns. Isn't he supposed to be a great recruiter in state? Liked by players?

KantoSooner
10/16/2012, 04:58 PM
And I wasn't really serious about Petrino.

If it should happen to take place, however, I will lead the laughter.

And they've got lots of money and tall, blond skank in Texas, so you never know... You'd have Petrino's two main food groups covered.

kbsooner21
10/16/2012, 05:05 PM
Mack ain't going anywhere yet.

cherokeebrewer
10/16/2012, 05:10 PM
I figured Petrino was a joke. I should have added Briles to the interview list...

sooneron
10/16/2012, 05:53 PM
Where is Fitzgerald from Northwestern? Big omission. If Bob were leaving, I'd want OU to take a long look at him.

StoopTroup
10/16/2012, 05:58 PM
;)

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_250/MI0002/060/MI0002060990.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

We aren't really trying to give them any ideas....it's why I'm so ready for them to go with Eastern Michigan.

sendbaht
10/16/2012, 06:07 PM
Who ever they get they will wish Mack is back.....they will be down for years to come...it's just the mo joe there now...

stoopified
10/16/2012, 06:10 PM
The names I've seen badied about most by HornFans posters are Barnett,Muschamp,Briles. In general the Ornge Throng seems to think all they have to do is flash their wad and they can get anyone they want.

stoopified
10/16/2012, 06:12 PM
Mack ain't going anywhere yet.From your lips to God's ear.

Tear Down This Wall
10/16/2012, 06:19 PM
None. I'll bet they make a go at Kirby Smart, Alabama's defensive coordinator.

cherokeebrewer
10/16/2012, 06:27 PM
I think they're too arrogant to take an assistant coach with no head coaching experience...

StoopTroup
10/16/2012, 06:39 PM
How much do they have to pay Mack to leave? Or will they do a Tech and get him for taking TP out of the Lockeroom to his office to do origami?

http://www.xanderfolds.com/_Model%20Images/Brahma%20Bull/Brahma%20Bull%20xf2.jpg

StoopTroup
10/16/2012, 06:44 PM
http://www.giladorigami.com/P_Bull_Giunta.JPG

8timechamps
10/16/2012, 06:45 PM
Why did Spurrier and Meyer jump ship all of a sudden? Not the best places to live, players are generally more trouble, and the fanbases are just downright unpleasant.

I see UT as a (relatively) less stress place to finish out your coaching career.

Texas is probably a top 5 job, but so it Alabama. Florida isn't. I think the two (Spurrier & Meyer) left for completely different reasons; Spurrier to try his hand in the NFL, and Meyer to focus on his "health" (I think the departure of Tebow had a ton to do with that).

It would be a lateral move for Saban to go from Alabama to Texas (maybe even a slight step down).

StoopTroup
10/16/2012, 06:55 PM
If you are about money....right now they might be THE Top Job. I think you could name your price if you have won a MNC. Can Pete Carrol fly under the Radar yet? :D ;)

PLaw
10/16/2012, 07:33 PM
Tough pick, but if I were down on the Brazos or around College Station, I would certainly be showing my HC some love.

Boomer

swardboy
10/16/2012, 07:43 PM
With all he's been able to produce at Oregon, I'd think Chip Kelly would seriously consider any overtures from Bevo land. I know I wouldn't enjoy facing him every year.

10/16/2012, 07:44 PM
Wouldn't that be something? I don't think Sumlin will be near the pick in four weeks, though.^^

goingoneight
10/16/2012, 07:55 PM
As much as I don't like the idea of it, Kirby Smart is the best assistant coach in the country right now and you know Dodds is adjusting his scope eyeballing him. As for quality choices of up-and-comers, there's your guy.

soonerinabilene
10/16/2012, 08:27 PM
Jon Gruden would be a great fit, and I hope Deloss is too stupid to figure that out.

CowboyMRW
10/16/2012, 08:37 PM
Saban could be offered 7 million/year by them easily.

But mostly, think about his ego. He could win a MNC at 3 different schools and be the first person ever to do that.

sooneron
10/16/2012, 08:45 PM
I just don't see Gruden, he hasn't had anything to do with college football since 1989.

Jacie
10/16/2012, 08:57 PM
Mack's buyout at the end of 2012 is $2,750,000, a lot but sa*et can afford it (in four easy payments!).

Now the poll should have included Mike Price and Rick Neuheisel . . .

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
10/16/2012, 09:03 PM
What would they have to give Saban to get him? $7 million? $10? More? A private estate on the Mexican border and free rights to import all the cocaine he wished, tax free? A private army? Rights d'Seigneur over the entire state of Texas?
I mean, seriously, what would he have in Texas that he doesn't have in Alabama?

Please let it be Saban. I would predict the craziest zoo imaginable for UT and the Press to deny that Nick just took a step down.

bluedogok
10/16/2012, 11:39 PM
I think they're too arrogant to take an assistant coach with no head coaching experience...
Texas typically doesn't hire assistant coaches to be a head coach, David McWilliams was an assistant at UT and was pretty much told that. He was offered at Tech and accepted and UT fired Akers and hired him after one year as HC of Tech. So they have no issue with hiring another coach in conference. They have had coaches with ties to both OU and A&M, Dana X. Bible, DKR and Mack that I know off the top of my head.

Holgerson.....
No way, he isn't smooth enough or political enough for the UT administration. Too much "party on" baggage from OSU, if that was the case in Stillwater could you imagine what he would be like in Austin?

I voted for Briles, but only because I'd seen his named dropped by some angry whorns. Isn't he supposed to be a great recruiter in state? Liked by players?
I think they go after Briles, highly respected by Texas HS coaches since when he was doing well at Stephenville he didn't **** off all the other HS coaches in the state like former UT QB and current Marble Falls HS coach Todd Dodge did at Southlake Carroll. In fact I bet Dodge took the North Texas job in the hope of replacing Mack. I really don't know if Briles would move to UT, I think more than likely he would but I don't know if he wants to deal with the circus at UT.

Saban only uses UT to get a raise at Bama.

I would love to see them hire Dodge and flame out in a brilliant orange light......

goingoneight
10/16/2012, 11:41 PM
Who could forget Gene Chizik? The whorns all seemed to LOVE him!

badger
10/17/2012, 08:21 AM
Once again, to everyone suggesting different head coaches or assistants, I did not omit them, I simply took the top-rated coaches on Coaches Hot Seat and a few additional Big 12 ones and there was my 25-nominee list (while omitting Bob Stoops and Bill Snyder, because nobody expects them to go anywhere except eventual retirement).

If you want to do your own poll with assistants and NFL coaches and ex-coaches and whoever else, be my guest. MY POLL is just the top coaches on Coaches Hot Seat. OK???? :D

sooneron
10/17/2012, 09:15 AM
meh

goingoneight
10/17/2012, 09:38 AM
I hear Turner Gill did some good things at Buffalo. Whatever a Buffalo is.

badger
10/17/2012, 09:40 AM
Whatever a Buffalo is.
It's a Bill. :P

swardboy
10/17/2012, 11:27 AM
It's a chicken

Mississippi Sooner
10/17/2012, 11:32 AM
I didn't know buffaloes had wings.

sooneron
10/17/2012, 11:34 AM
They do and they're Wiiiiiiiiild!

jkjsooner
10/17/2012, 11:48 AM
Gotta disagree with the statement that Texas hasn't made good coaching hires. Mack Brown was a very good hire back in '98. He hasn't had the success against OU that they would like and he has had a few lean years recently and he very likely may get fired over those things but Mack Brown has raised the expectation of the UT program much farther than it was 15 years ago.

Now the common perception is that if Texas is always top 3 or so in recruiting and a good coach would contend for titles yearly. For the 20 or so years before Mack Brown arrived that wasn't the perception. Texas wasn't winning recruiting titles. They weren't at best the second best program in the state behind A&M and that goes for on-the-field success and recruiting.

Other than Bob Stoops pretty much owning him, Brown has done a lot for UT's football program. Had we had a mediocre or merely good coach (think Gibbs) Texas would be owning us yearly. Unfortunately for Mack OU got a damn good coach.

Sabanball
10/17/2012, 12:23 PM

Ain't gonna happen. They already tried to get him after the BCSCG back in January--most people just don't know about it...

sooneron
10/17/2012, 12:25 PM
I would think that Nick would like to cement his legacy as high or near as high as Bear's, rather than bail for the $.

Sabanball
10/17/2012, 12:41 PM
I would think that Nick would like to cement his legacy as high or near as high as Bear's, rather than bail for the $.

That and Ms. Terry isn't moving again--except maybe to the lake house in Georgia.

badger
10/17/2012, 12:49 PM
Ain't gonna happen. They already tried to get him after the BCSCG back in January--most people just don't know about it...

do tell...

Jacie
10/17/2012, 02:56 PM
I know I wouldn't enjoy facing him every year.

I wouldn't want to face Larry, Moe, or Curly Joe coaching a team with the resources of sa*et. Yet somehow, old Mack keeps making em smell worse than one of Bevo's patties.

And for all you whorn lurkers turning rocks over looking for a conspiracy, chew on this: maybe the "Big Money" keeping Mack on the job isn't from your boosters, but from OUrs . . .

cherokeebrewer
10/17/2012, 04:46 PM
And for all you whorn lurkers turning rocks over looking for a conspiracy, chew on this: maybe the "Big Money" keeping Mack on the job isn't from your boosters, but from OUrs . . .

Those guys are already paranoid about Mack being a mole because he coached a year for Bob Stoops at OU. They seem to forget Mack was here in 1984...it's actully funny...

badger
10/17/2012, 04:54 PM
Those guys are already paranoid about Mack being a mole because he coached a year for Bob Stoops at OU. They seem to forget Mack was here in 1984...it's actully funny...

They have to be paranoid. Every guy who tries to paint Texas practice facilities was sent by Barry Switzer to spy on practices Hook em

TanTanFeil
10/17/2012, 05:07 PM
It'll probably be Bobby Petrino

Sabanball
10/17/2012, 05:45 PM
do tell...

As you may or may not know, Saban has no buyout clause in his contract--and has never had one anywhere he has been.

The short/sweet version of what happened--Back channel overtures were made to the Sabans back in January after the title game by several programs-- Texas was one of them and my source tells me that they offered him $8mil/yr-- after considering them Nick signed an extension that keeps him in Tuscaloosa through the 2019 season. They jointly issued a statement back in feb/ march saying that after they had politely considered some other opportunities that they both had decided to end Nick's coaching career at the Capstone and announced the signing of the contract extension. His contract with us is backloaded and he is guaranteed to make well over $5mil/yr the rest of his career.

I still think the Texas job is the best one in college football, but Bama is right up behind them and among the very elite programs and Nick has more control and influence here than he would have at Texas. Example, he says he thinks we need a new weight room for all our athletes--he snaps his fingers, and within a week the AD and BoT approves the construction a couple of months ago. They were moving dirt within a month and it's set to be complete before the end of the year. This all after our existing weight room was just built back in 2003/2004 and is considered state of the art in and of itself.

soonergirlNeugene
10/17/2012, 07:19 PM
No Paul Rhodes as an option? I think he's a lot more likely than someone like Lane Kiffin or Brady Hoke.

cobrapilot
10/17/2012, 08:10 PM
I dont think Texas goes after another BigXII coach. Dont think Muschimp will come back. Dont think Saban will leave Alabama

FirstandGoal
10/17/2012, 08:12 PM
Thank God the pirate isn't on that list. :encouragement:

bluedogok
10/17/2012, 11:51 PM
Thank God the pirate isn't on that list. :encouragement:
Leach isn't someone who will recite the party line like Mack, that is what the administration at Bellmont ultimately wants.

soonergirlNeugene
10/18/2012, 12:16 AM
One thing about the Texas job for Leach is that he has some unfinished business to take care of. Don't tell me he wouldn't love to play Tech every year w/ recruits like he'd have at UT. Think it's a highly unlikely possibility though, the hire will be 100% conservative - someone established, as little risk as possible. Over on the Bama boards they say Texas had some supersecret meetings w/ Saban a couple of years ago. Wouldn't be surprised if they try him but no idea how mercenary the guy is - he's followed his wallet everywhere else. Still think he's a longshot. I'd expect them to go after a pro coach next. Maybe someone like Gruden. I've heard Pete Carroll's name mentioned a couple of times, and that would be a bizarre turn of events.

Sabanball
10/18/2012, 12:29 AM
One thing about the Texas job for Leach is that he has some unfinished business to take care of. Don't tell me he wouldn't love to play Tech every year w/ recruits like he'd have at UT. Think it's a highly unlikely possibility though, the hire will be 100% conservative - someone established, as little risk as possible. Over on the Bama boards they say Texas had some supersecret meetings w/ Saban a couple of years ago. Wouldn't be surprised if they try him but no idea how mercenary the guy is - he's followed his wallet everywhere else. Still think he's a longshot. I'd expect them to go after a pro coach next. Maybe someone like Gruden. I've heard Pete Carroll's name mentioned a couple of times, and that would be a bizarre turn of events.

Like I said earlier, Nick Saban is not going anywhere and no way they take Mike Leach. Given what Pete Carroll left in his wake at USC, I don't see any way they even give him a look.

What would you guys say if I threw out the name Mike Gundy?

Sabanball
10/18/2012, 12:30 AM

Like I said earlier, Nick Saban is not going anywhere and no way they take Mike Leach. Given what Pete Carroll left in his wake at USC, I don't see any way they even give him a look.

badger
10/18/2012, 08:42 AM

I'd say that this season is proving that he hasn't built a constantly winning program and that like Mack himself, it takes a few gems in recruiting to get them to be competitive. In other words, they'd be replacing old mack :mack: with a younger, hari-gellier mack. [hairGel]

Thanks for the Nick Satan story. Could you please embarrass the rest of your conference opponents for us so that we can stop hearing about the S-E-C! S-E-C! and just ROLL TIDE and sh!t please?

Breadburner
10/18/2012, 09:03 AM

The curb stomping will continue.....!!!

XingTheRubicon
10/18/2012, 09:04 AM

Nick Saban is not going anywhere... - Michigan State

Nick Saban is not going anywhere... - LSU

Nick Saban is not going anywhere... - Miami

Nick Saban is not going anywhere... - Alabama

badger
10/18/2012, 09:16 AM
Nick Saban is not going anywhere... - Michigan State

Nick Saban is not going anywhere... - LSU

Nick Saban is not going anywhere... - Miami

Nick Saban is not going anywhere... - Alabama

Very true... and I'm sure the Bammers thought, especially after that sappy letter he wrote to players, that Dennis Fran Face Franny Fran Fran wasn't going anywhere. :rcmad:

goingoneight
10/18/2012, 09:51 AM
I'd say that this season is proving that he hasn't built a constantly winning program and that like Mack himself, it takes a few gems in recruiting to get them to be competitive. In other words, they'd be replacing old mack :mack: with a younger, hari-gellier mack. [hairGel]

Thanks for the Nick Satan story. Could you please embarrass the rest of your conference opponents for us so that we can stop hearing about the S-E-C! S-E-C! and just ROLL TIDE and sh!t please?

Would he be guaranteed to play 40-year old QBs in a college kids' game every year? If so, this idea would work. As well as Old Man Weinke did for Bowden. That said, Gundy wants to stay at OSU. IMO, this is less likely than Darrell Royal or Bear Bryant taking over.