PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas AD anxious for new coach....

BigJerm7
10/16/2012, 08:39 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8508991/arkansas-razorbacks-want-new-football-coach-place-december-says-ad

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long wants a football coach with "discipline and accountability." Someone with "honesty and integrity on and off the field."And he would like that coach in place within two weeks of the end of the regular season, which wraps up Nov. 23 when No. 6 LSU visits Fayetteville. Will that person be John L. Smith, the interim coach whose team is 3-4 and is getting headlines for his $40.7 million personal bankruptcy?

Long reiterated Monday that Smith, despite his 10-month contract, is a candidate for the job but said it would be apparent at the end of the season whether Smith is his choice for the future. And he said the program is in better shape than it might have been after the firing of coach Bobby Petrino in April and a 1-4 start that ruined any hopes for a run at an SEC or even national title.

"Not one player left our program," Long said. "I think they believe in the program that we're running."

Long hired Smith as interim coach for $850,000 to handle the team for the season, even though Smith is going through a $40.7 million personal bankruptcy over land deals that collapsed in Kentucky. Addressing the Touchdown Club in Little Rock, Long told an audience of Razorback fans that he wouldn't discuss coaching candidates but he did lay out some of the elements that will go into the search.

First, Long said he wants to quickly sift through any coaches who are trying to leverage for a raise at their existing schools and that he's looking for a leader who wants to build a national champion and not be intimidated by competing in the Southeastern Conference.

Long said the football program has facilities that will attract top coaches and top athletes, including plans to add a special academic facility for players. Practice and training facilities are being tied together to enable coaches to more efficiently use the practice time allowed by the NCAA.

The Razorbacks have put together a two-game winning streak, beating Auburn and Kentucky, not exactly SEC powers. But Long said the players have adapted to the change not only at head coach but to a new system of assistant coaches as well.

"I think we've seen in the last couple weeks a program that's starting to get better," Long said.

Speaking with reporters after his talk, Long said Smith's bankruptcy hasn't been a distraction to the players and that he's unconcerned that Smith has had to devote time to untangling his finances. Smith was in a hearing in U.S. Bankruptcy Court on Friday, the day before the Kentucky game.

He added that the university structured deferred payments to Smith as it has done with other coaches and that the salary terms had nothing to do with Smith's bankruptcy, which Long said Smith told him may be coming when he interviewed for the job. Petrino was fired after Long learned he had hired his former mistress as a recruiting coordinator and lied about her presence at a motorcycle accident.

Arkansas is off this weekend and next plays Ole Miss in Little Rock on Oct. 27.

Long said the next coach needs to be ready to lift Arkansas to elite status.

"We're going to stand our ground and then we're going to work to get back to where we all know we should be, and that's at the top," Long said.

He noted that expectations were high at the start of the season, when the Razorbacks were ranked No. 8.

"Maybe we weren't as good as we thought we were. But now we've kind of refocused ourselves. We're starting to play like we expected to play," Long said.

Long didn't mention it but the Razorbacks, were stung by injuries to key players early in the season, including a head injury suffered by starting quarterback Tyler Wilson, who was knocked out of the second half of an overtime loss to Louisiana-Monroe and missed the next week's drubbing by No. 1 Alabama.

"Certainly we're not where we expected to be when we started this season. But we're not folding up our tent," Long said. "We stood and we turned this negative into a positive."

goingoneight
10/16/2012, 09:39 AM
Water is wet.

BoulderSooner79
10/16/2012, 10:47 AM
All they really needed was a coach that could handle his motorcycle.

goingoneight
10/16/2012, 11:59 AM
I think Petrino should be hired back. His defensive coordinator (lawyer) failed him.

badger
10/16/2012, 12:01 PM
Houston Nutt

winout
10/17/2012, 03:58 PM
I think Petrino should be hired back. His defensive coordinator (lawyer) failed him.

Let me guess, you still refer to Barry as "The King."

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/17/2012, 04:15 PM
I think Petrino should be hired back. His defensive coordinator (lawyer) failed him.and, there was no woman with him when he crashed.

BTW, someone in Gaystin with yeller teef might be looking for a SEC gig.

Widescreen
10/17/2012, 04:27 PM

Who doesn't besides you I guess?

KantoSooner
10/17/2012, 04:49 PM
In all seriousness, this would be a fantastic place for a young coaching hotshot.

TanTanFeil
10/17/2012, 05:03 PM
So far the top candidates are probably Charlie Strong and Art Briles.

Seamus
10/17/2012, 05:27 PM

There may, in fact, be a point in this statement. Damned if I can decipher it, however.

Seamus
10/17/2012, 05:28 PM
So far the top candidates are probably Charlie Strong and Art Briles.

Probably not.

Strong has a brighter future than Arkansas, and Briles probably does too.

Sabanball
10/17/2012, 05:31 PM
Charlie Strong is probably the frontrunner, but I think Sonny Dykes will get an interview also.

8timechamps
10/17/2012, 05:31 PM
Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long wants a football coach with "discipline and accountability." Someone with "honesty and integrity on and off the field."

Whoops, they're in the wrong conference.

tycat947
10/17/2012, 05:58 PM
Looks like they would want to stay away from ex-Louisville coaches (Smith, Petrino, Strong)! :highly_amused:

Jacie
10/17/2012, 08:23 PM
Charlie Strong is better off at Louisville.

A much better job than Arkie is his if he continues to succeed there.

goingoneight
10/17/2012, 08:33 PM

Occasionally, I refer to Barry as "King," yes. I ask... what does that have to do with anything?

goingoneight
10/17/2012, 08:35 PM
Back on subject: I think it's funny how Arkansas fans think they're going to get Saban, Harbaugh, Gruden, Stoops or Pete Carroll while Texas fans think they *might* be able to get Art Briles or Paul Rhoades. :D

8timechamps
10/17/2012, 08:51 PM
Occasionally, I refer to Barry as "King," yes. I ask... what does that have to do with anything?

Wait, doesn't everybody still refer to Barry as the "King"?

birddog
10/17/2012, 08:58 PM
you guys figure it out and get back to us. cause i still don't know what winout's question "implies".

redkid
10/18/2012, 12:29 AM
I still refer to Elvis as the king and Jesus as the King of all kings!

10/18/2012, 12:45 AM
I still refer to Elvis as the king and Jesus as the King of all kings!James Brown is still "the Godfather" AND "The hardest working man in Show Business". Who will replace him, Justin Bieber?

Jacie
10/18/2012, 07:38 AM
James Brown is still "the Godfather" AND "The hardest working man in Show Business". Who will replace him, Justin Bieber?

The Beebs = Hardest Working Man . . . in POP, while Michael Jackson will always be The King of POP.

FirstandGoal
10/18/2012, 09:21 AM
Elvis is the king. Barry is The King.

Amazing that we even have to have this discussion.

BBQ Man
10/19/2012, 09:15 AM
Do you think Art Briles would go to Arkie? If he stays at Baylor and has a winning career record, they'll build a statue for him. But by the end of the year, he'll know if his protege (Sumlin) can run that offense against the best defenses in the SEC. I know he's a Texan, but he'd at least still be able to recruit down Texas from Arkansas.

tycat947
10/19/2012, 11:59 AM
Do you think Art Briles would go to Arkie? If he stays at Baylor and has a winning career record, they'll build a statue for him. But by the end of the year, he'll know if his protege (Sumlin) can run that offense against the best defenses in the SEC. I know he's a Texan, but he'd at least still be able to recruit down Texas from Arkansas.

I'm sure Briles has some behind the scenes deal (isn't everything from Hypocrite U behind the scenes or private???) with Drayton McLane (the T Bone Pickens of Hypocrite U!) and Ken Starr to ensure he's the coach when they open their new stadium!

10/19/2012, 12:00 PM
UT to the SEC,SEC,SEC,SEC,SEC etc!!!!!

deweydw
10/19/2012, 12:07 PM
Now that Mangino is ready to get back in the game. Think he would take the Arky job? If offered?

tycat947
10/19/2012, 12:28 PM
Now that Mangino is ready to get back in the game. Think he would take the Arky job? If offered?

I think he'd take it in a heartbeat! Just don't think Arky is that smart!

CowboyMRW
10/19/2012, 12:33 PM
Twitter has been blowing up with talk of Gundy and Tuberville, FWIW