PDA

View Full Version : Some of you older people's....

JLEW1818
10/15/2012, 02:45 PM
Help the youngins with the Notre Dame hate.... Yes we can read all about the history.

Please provide personal stories and events/games!!

BoulderSooner79
10/15/2012, 02:51 PM
I'm duty bound to take my hate one game at a time. So, Charlie Weis used to coach ND but now coaches KU who I hate this week.

Wishboned
10/15/2012, 02:57 PM
Way back in 19 and 99 OU was coming out of a dark period. We had suffered through a drought of epic proportions brought on by the evils of Schnelleberger and Boo Blake.

But hope was on the horizon. A young buck by the name of Bob Stoops had taken the reins of this storied program, and had promised a return to greatness.

With that promise we traveled to the far off land of South Bend. It was the first time we had faced the Irish since 19 and 68.

The Sooners were using what was called a "spread" offense back then under the guidance of junior quarterback Josh Heupel. You might remember him from the time he was the offensive coordinator for the Sooners. Back then he was fresh out of junior college. At the beginning of the season he wasn't even a blip on the radar.

So these upstart Sooners marched into South Bend and went toe to toe with the hated Irish. At one point Oklahoma had a 16 point lead 30-14 after their first possession of the third quarter. But our heroes failed to score again, and the Irish rallied to take the game 34-30.

MamaMia
10/15/2012, 03:03 PM
Wait...that last game wasn't that long ago.

MyT Oklahoma
10/15/2012, 03:06 PM
Bud Wilkinson had a losing record against Notre Dame (1 and 5) .

OU has a losing record against Notre Dame (1 and 8).

Notre Dame ended the 47 game winning streak and did it on the 50th anniversary of Oklahoma statehood.

It is time to start setting this series right.

But first, KU is going to die.

SoonerInFortSmith
10/15/2012, 03:20 PM
Here's all you need to know. Notre Dame sucks. Yet they still have their own huge TV contract. And they think they are too good to be affiliated with a conference. So they are basically the texass of the north. Any questions?

rock on sooner
10/15/2012, 03:33 PM
Didja know that ND was the last to beat OU before the 47 game streak started.
Dick Lynch scored the only TD in the game, on an outside sweep. And, the
streak was over. I was twelve years old and was firmly convinced that the world
had come to an end!

En_Fuego
10/15/2012, 03:34 PM
Well, as you all know me...;) ...I hit the bottle a time or two at night................But according to the Catholic Church..........(Aint got time to look it up) .........That Jesus Christ is like the 6th one on their list according to prayers.............

I Say..........Well read for yourself......I'm derinking now

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/notre-dame-ends-oklahoma-record-winning-streak

It's a good read for all "Old" people.........lol

olevetonahill
10/15/2012, 03:48 PM
had come to an end!

Daayum yer an OLD fugger.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/15/2012, 03:48 PM
I was a lad of 12 yrs of age, during football season 1957. living in OKC with my folks. I had gone to the afternoon matinee movie at the local neighborhood theater on May Avenue(Lakeside Theater) From time to time I, and other young Soonerfans would go to the lobby of the theater, where I would listen to the game on the radio for a while, and get updated on the score. The game and the movie both went on, and I believe ended at roughly the same time. I came to the lobby again, and heard the awful news. The hated domer had beaten the beloved Sooners 7-0, and ENDED OUR 47 GAME WINNING STREAK.

We had beaten the domer in domertown the year before 40-0. They were the team that beat us before we began the winning streak, as well. I don't think we played them again until 1966, and I was a senior at OU. I saw us get shut out by them again. 38-0.

I don't believe Bud Wilkinson relished any win more than the 40-0 pounding OU gave them in South Bend, nor any game he wanted to forget more than the 0-7 loss to those pr*cks in 1957. They were then, and they remain #1 on my despised team list. lOSUr orange aggy 2nd, and those wonderful cows are 3rd, as if you didn't already know. FWIW

KantoSooner
10/15/2012, 04:38 PM
To call the game that ended the streak merely another game or even merely about ND and OU would be wrong. ND stood then and stands today for the old, the East, the corrupt, the establishment, the smoky rooms, the secret old boys meetings, the rigged game. OU was then and is today the West, the new, the clean, the honest, the self-made, the fair.
ND is like Standard Oil, OU Apple
ND is grappa, OU New World Champagne
ND is haggis, OU grilled ribeyes
ND is an aging Mother Superior, OU, next years SI bikini models
ND is an Oldmobile Electra, OU a Corvette Sledgehammer
ND is halitosis from rotting teeth, OU sore thighs from snow boarding too long
ND is smoking a wet cigar, OU, a purple bat the size of my forearm
ND is slow, painful death, OU is sex

The battle is Manichean. Darkness vs. Light. Evil vs. Good. Twas ever thus and thus it shall remain until Notre Dame is thrown down and destroyed utterly!

I think that should pretty well bring you young 'uns up to speed. Know you this: If you awaken in darkness and all around you is chaos and nothing is clear, just draw on your deepest reserves of strength, focus yourself on hatred of ND and all will be well.

...but beat the crap out of Kansas first.

XingTheRubicon
10/15/2012, 04:42 PM
greatness^^^^^^^^^^^^

8timechamps
10/15/2012, 04:43 PM
All you need to know is that the college football world is MUCH better without Notre Dame fans having something to brag about. If they end up in a BCS game, or worse, the national title game, you will think the SEC hype was minor compared to the **** you'll hear.

MI Sooner
10/15/2012, 04:44 PM
You always hear that ND was the last team to beat us before the 47 game winning streak, which is true, but you rarely hear that we tied Pitt in the next game, so the ND loss wasn't the last game before the streak started, just the last loss. It also means our unbeaten streak was 48, not 47.

Also, that ND team that beat us in '99 sucked. I think they were 1-3 coming into that game, and we weren't a known quantity. I remember being offered tickets for $5 as I headed into the game (I got mine for $45, I think). Think I'll be able to find any tickets for $5 in two weeks?

rock on sooner
10/15/2012, 04:53 PM
Daayum yer an OLD fugger.

Yeh, an don ewe fergit it, neither...:biggrin:

BigTip
10/15/2012, 05:01 PM
I've read that when the streak was ended, it was a huge deal. People remember where they were when they heard, like when Kennedy was shot, or when the twin towers came down. I'm not kidding about that.

But what has always irked me about them is how the ratings/media regarded them. Fortunately, you have to go way back now, to a time when they figured in the national rankings, to know what I am talking about. They would always have to get beaten TWICE to fall out of the ratings. They would always be the highest ranked one loss team. The media bias was ridiculous. Probably will be again.
And also because those little green trollmen are like this guy:
http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/David-Caruso-cm01.jpg

They/he think they are cool, but they are actually douchbags.

ouwasp
10/15/2012, 05:05 PM
My Dad was in the Army back in '57, stationed at Ft. Sam in San Antonio. Dad is an Oklahoma A&M alum, but a lifelong Sooner fan. His yankee fish-eater buds all knew he was from OK...

On the infamous day that ND snapped the streak, Dad was off base, taking a day of leave. When he returned to his barracks room, the Catholics had written this in soap upon his mirror:

45...46...47...*POOF*!!!

I've been raised to hate the bass turds. :mad:

BajaOklahoma
10/15/2012, 05:35 PM
had come to an end!

This! ND stopped our streak - and we need to beat them and start it over again!

ouduckhunter
10/15/2012, 05:50 PM
My parents went to OU in the 50's. The ND hatred began then! They indoctrinated their 4 kids from an early age on, that we could go to school anywhere in the country except ND! Later, they found out how expensive out of state tuition is, and they told us we could go to school anywhere in the country as long as it was OU!! Hate early, and hate often!

10/15/2012, 05:52 PM
All you need to know is that the college football world is MUCH better without Notre Dame fans having something to brag about. If they end up in a BCS game, or worse, the national title game, you will think the SEC hype was minor compared to the **** you'll hear.lotta good/great comments here, but the above is fair warning. You will deeply regret it if they ever are a top-notch team again.

10/15/2012, 05:55 PM
My Dad was in the Army back in '57, stationed at Ft. Sam in San Antonio. Dad is an Oklahoma A&M alum, but a lifelong Sooner fan. His yankee fish-eater buds all knew he was from OK...

On the infamous day that ND snapped the streak, Dad was off base, taking a day of leave. When he returned to his barracks room, the Catholics had written this in soap upon his mirror:

45...46...47...*POOF*!!!

I've been raised to hate the bass turds. :mad:We HAVE TO beat them mizrabl ph*kkers, and the bigger the better.

opksooner
10/15/2012, 06:26 PM
had come to an end!

Hang on, Grasshopper (s). In '52, Notre Dame beat us, 27-21, at Southbend. This was the game in prime time on tv where Billy Vessels ran wild and cemented his Heisman. The following year, without Crowder, Vessels, or Macphail, three All Americans, they beat us at Norman by the almost identical score, 28 -21.
This was my senior year at OU.

Flash forward:

I graduate, January '54. Army. Korea. Come home. Take my fiancee to Norman to see the '57 game.

We sat in the north endzone.

I can still see Lynch around his right end, running right toward us. Damn him.

When the game was over, the crowd just sat there for a couple minutes. Stunned silence.

What provokes my hatred of the domers, in addition to the pain listed above, is the poster attached to their bus into Norman:

GOD MADE NOTRE DAME #1.

I hate them for that. All of that.

F$#@ Notre Dame and F$#@# the horse they rode in on.

mhackl
10/15/2012, 06:31 PM
http://youtu.be/M_QiD2Kr5fE

MamaMia
10/15/2012, 07:32 PM
You guys are forgetting the part about how it was later discovered that Notre Dame had sent a spy to Norman to watch the practices and report back to the Fighting Irish the week before the game that ended our winning streak. It was later confirmed when some Notre Dame guy wrote about it in his book. They may have won without the spying but still...

After that, the University of Oklahoma frowned upon anyone affiliated with the school attending another teams practice field. A dental student, obviously oblivious to this being taboo, was actually kicked out of school at OU because he thought it would be fun to go watch the horns practice one sunny afternoon.

Monster Zero
10/15/2012, 08:04 PM
They only won that game because they had gotten a copy of Bud's playbook from a spy. There was this dude from Indiana who walked on at OU, acted really excited to be part of the program.

Disappeared the day before the game with the domers and was never seen or heard from again. Took his playbook with him.

Everyone knows about it, all you have to do is ax around a little bit.

Bud Wilkinson had a losing record against Notre Dame (1 and 5) .

OU has a losing record against Notre Dame (1 and 8).

Notre Dame ended the 47 game winning streak and did it on the 50th anniversary of Oklahoma statehood.

It is time to start setting this series right.

But first, KU is going to die.

cleller
10/15/2012, 08:19 PM
In the 1950s, Notre Dame boosters would buy up the mortgages of some OU players parents' homes, then foreclose on them, just for sport.

MamaMia
10/15/2012, 08:29 PM
They only won that game because they had gotten a copy of Bud's playbook from a spy. There was this dude from Indiana who walked on at OU, acted really excited to be part of the program.

Disappeared the day before the game with the domers and was never seen or heard from again. Took his playbook with him.

They were bound and determined to do whatever was needed to end that streak.

Plexis22
10/15/2012, 08:54 PM
As someone in his mid 20's I have no real hate for ND. Yeah I know they broke our streak, and have a winning record against us, but we just haven't played enough and they haven't been very good since the early 90's. Plus they have Rudy, one of the greatest sports movies of all time. I want OU to beat them because they are undefeated, ranked #5 ahead of us, and because they are historically a great program with the most national titles (13), 7 Heisman winners and the most All-Americans of any team. I save my hate for Texas and OSU.

PLaw
10/15/2012, 09:33 PM
I was born two and half years after the streak ended. But, if I had a dollar for everytime my Dad told me about the game and the domer coach's arrogance after the game, then I wouldn't be working today. Dad says he was sitting under the North endzone goldposts and, like other posters here, vividly remembers the TD that ended the streak. What really sticks under his skin, though, is the domer's coach braggadociously, proclaiming that ND won the game for all of the Catholics in Oklahoma. Dad still has a burning in his belly over that. As he would say, "I wouldn't give you two red cents for that bunch of fish eaters".

BOOMER

Soonerfan88
10/15/2012, 09:47 PM

This is the story I was always told except he was seen again - on the ND sideline during the game!!

Also, much of the dramatic ending of that stupid Rudy movie was pure Hollywood BS. The players never threw their jerseys on the desk demanding Rudy play and the crowd didn't start chanting for him until after he played. Also, both the groundskeeper and Rudy's older brother are completely fictitious.

10/15/2012, 09:58 PM
I was born two and half years after the streak ended. But, if I had a dollar for everytime my Dad told me about the game and the domer coach's arrogance after the game, then I wouldn't be working today. Dad says he was sitting under the North endzone goldposts and, like other posters here, vividly remembers the TD that ended the streak. What really sticks under his skin, though, is the domer's coach braggadociously, proclaiming that ND won the game for all of the Catholics in Oklahoma. Dad still has a burning in his belly over that. As he would say, "I wouldn't give you two red cents for that bunch of fish eaters".

BOOMERI know that I was raised Catholic, and I can only speak for myself, but I vaguely remember that the above religious comment was made, and it was certainly not the desire of any Catholics I knew in OK that domers beat OU anytime, ever. My second favorite team is not another college team.

SoonerInFortSmith
10/15/2012, 10:26 PM
Also, much of the dramatic ending of that stupid Rudy movie was pure Hollywood BS. The players never threw their jerseys on the desk demanding Rudy play and the crowd didn't start chanting for him until after he played. Also, both the groundskeeper and Rudy's older brother are completely fictitious.

Not to mention that by all accounts the real Rudy is a complete ******nozzle.

KantoSooner
10/16/2012, 09:27 AM
As someone in his mid 20's I have no real hate for ND. Yeah I know they broke our streak, and have a winning record against us, but we just haven't played enough and they haven't been very good since the early 90's. Plus they have Rudy, one of the greatest sports movies of all time. I want OU to beat them because they are undefeated, ranked #5 ahead of us, and because they are historically a great program with the most national titles (13), 7 Heisman winners and the most All-Americans of any team. I save my hate for Texas and OSU.

Ah, the primordial optimistic good nature of youth! If the words on this thread have not swayed your well intentioned even-handedness, I suggest a trip to anywhere along an axis between Southbend and Boston. Walk into any bar during football season wearing an OU shirt or hat. If you are served a refreshment, you will also be served a ration of **** (more typically, you'll simply be given the ration of ****). You will also be treated to delusional accounts of college football including, in no special order:
1. Why Boston College could kick the daylights out of OU at any time. Notre Dame, by extension being too good to sully their uniforms with our likes.
2. Why real men play football only North of the Ohio River.
3. Why all conferences outside of the Big 10 and Boston College are all cheaters and basically owned and operated by shadowy drug cartels.
4. Why real chili is served on spaghetti, and contains cinnamon but not red pepper.
5. Why W/L records from the 1800's should be considered when evaluating teams for the current year's rankings.
6. Why the forward pass might just catch on; but it's going to have to prove itself and we shouldn't let that rule change stand without discussion.
7. Why any of a number of gauzy sports operas enshrining Notre Dame should be automatic candidates for 'greatest movie of all time'.

And on, and on, and on. It's enough to make a sane man want their heads on spikes in front of his home.

Hate Notre Dame early and hard!

MamaMia
10/16/2012, 10:19 AM

BOOMER

Not only am I a Catholic and a loyal OU fan, but the priest at our rival volley ball teams parish was also a huge OU fan. That coach was making a big assumption in painting us all with the same broad brush.

ouflak
10/16/2012, 10:39 AM
I remember a game that Notre Dame was playing against Miami. One of the fans was being interviewed and he stated that felt that God was on Notre Dame's side and that that game represented good versus evil. I wanted them to lose a lot of games for a long time after that and that was one of the few times I repugnantly rooted for Miami.

StoopTroup
10/16/2012, 10:51 AM
To call the game that ended the streak merely another game or even merely about ND and OU would be wrong. ND stood then and stands today for the old, the East, the corrupt, the establishment, the smoky rooms, the secret old boys meetings, the rigged game. OU was then and is today the West, the new, the clean, the honest, the self-made, the fair.
ND is like Standard Oil, OU Apple
ND is grappa, OU New World Champagne
ND is haggis, OU grilled ribeyes
ND is an aging Mother Superior, OU, next years SI bikini models
ND is an Oldmobile Electra, OU a Corvette Sledgehammer
ND is halitosis from rotting teeth, OU sore thighs from snow boarding too long
ND is smoking a wet cigar, OU, a purple bat the size of my forearm
ND is slow, painful death, OU is sex

The battle is Manichean. Darkness vs. Light. Evil vs. Good. Twas ever thus and thus it shall remain until Notre Dame is thrown down and destroyed utterly!

I think that should pretty well bring you young 'uns up to speed. Know you this: If you awaken in darkness and all around you is chaos and nothing is clear, just draw on your deepest reserves of strength, focus yourself on hatred of ND and all will be well.

...but beat the crap out of Kansas first.

that is the best post you have ever done. Great read.

KantoSooner
10/16/2012, 10:56 AM
During the game that ended the streak, ND was using priests to run plays into the huddle.

They probably still would except that there are certain operational risks run when you expose a priest to eleven athletic young men, sweaty, bent over at the waist.

KantoSooner
10/16/2012, 10:58 AM
that is the best post you have ever done. Great read.

Well dayum! I'm all choked up. Thank you. Really nothing other than boiling down what my grandfathers, father and uncles have been telling me lo! these fifty odd years.

StoopTroup
10/16/2012, 11:03 AM
^hey now.... You were doing so well. Easy on the Priests.

Quite a few years ago we had a fish fry at a TG over in the Goddard Parking lot. There was an older OU Gentleman, cigar in hand, and we got to talking about ND for some reason. He was a senior at OU the year ND broke the streak and admitted he was stunned as he had attended every OU Football Game while he was at OU and OU had never lost a game until then.

That said...you could tell he has no problem with us playing ND again and righting that wrong until the end of time.

BoomerJack
10/16/2012, 11:21 AM
Besides the streak ending narratives above, here's another thing that fuels my anti-Notre Dame passion.

In 1966, I believe, ND goes to East Lansing, MI late in the year ranked #1 to play Mich St. ranked very high. ND's starting QB was out with an injury and ND head coach, Ara Parseghian goes into "play not to lose mode" with game tied 6-6, thinking that with a #1 ranking, a tie would not jeopardize ND poll standings. He was right. The game ended in a tie and Domers kept top ranking the next week.
Fast forward 5-6 years. ND goes to Orange Bowl to play Nebraska. This was after the 1971 OU/Neb. game of the century. Nebraska and Johnnie Rodgers run circles around Parseghian's guys for a rout. After the game, Parsegian claims it was not surprising because "ND isn't a football factory".

There are two football teams I wouldn't root for even if they were playing Al Queda State: Texas and Notre Dame.

KantoSooner
10/16/2012, 11:33 AM
Say what you will about AQ State, the baba ganoush in their cafeteria is awesome.

goingoneight
10/16/2012, 11:49 AM
If you hated the love fest for USC, Texas, Tim Tebow and the SEC, wait til Notre Dame beats OU. It will be all that together times 12 or more.

StoopTroup
10/16/2012, 12:28 PM
Al Queda St loses a player every time they celebrate in the EZ.

stoopified
10/16/2012, 05:56 PM
had come to an end!That was three years before I was born but is still largely the basis for my hatred of the Cryin Irish.

Soonerfan88
10/16/2012, 09:33 PM
Another reason to hate ND is their theft, via Lou Holtz, of our traditional sign. Holtz claims to have read a book (which he can't name or produce) showing the "Play Like A Champion Today" sign at Notre Dame. He then had it remade and hung in the stairway and conned modern sports media into believing ND originated it. To add insult to injury, a ND fan was allowed to copyright the phrase and now sells logo-ed items for profit(so don't buy anything with the logo, even if it's crimson). With a little help from Photoshop, OU fans have taken it back.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/stevilew/ousig.jpg

GDC
10/17/2012, 06:28 PM
Because my dad told me that as a boy ND broke his heart when they broke the streak.

JLEW1818
10/17/2012, 07:32 PM
i think we drop a 2008 Taco Tech on them.

i can see them coming in cocky.

OU-7 is my prediction for the opening line.

We win by at least 4 TD's though.

rock on sooner
10/17/2012, 07:54 PM
Hang on, Grasshopper (s). In '52, Notre Dame beat us, 27-21, at Southbend. This was the game in prime time on tv where Billy Vessels ran wild and cemented his Heisman. The following year, without Crowder, Vessels, or Macphail, three All Americans, they beat us at Norman by the almost identical score, 28 -21.
This was my senior year at OU.

Flash forward:

I graduate, January '54. Army. Korea. Come home. Take my fiancee to Norman to see the '57 game.

We sat in the north endzone.

I can still see Lynch around his right end, running right toward us. Damn him.

When the game was over, the crowd just sat there for a couple minutes. Stunned silence.

What provokes my hatred of the domers, in addition to the pain listed above, is the poster attached to their bus into Norman:

GOD MADE NOTRE DAME #1.

I hate them for that. All of that.

F$#@ Notre Dame and F$#@# the horse they rode in on.

There was a fourth AA...Catlin..that was lost in 52. In '53, after the
Domers beat us 28-21, we went to Pitt and tied 7-7 then dint lose
for the next 47 games. Just a small thing but to lose FOUR All Americans
from '52 created a huge hole that even Bud couldn't fill right away.
Obviously, he figured it out and history was written. Isn't a football
weekend goes by that I don't root for the Irish to lose!

JLEW1818
10/23/2012, 07:07 PM
Bump. Lets hear some more stories. Very enjoyable.

StoopTroup
10/23/2012, 07:44 PM
i think we drop a 2008 Taco Tech on them.

i can see them coming in cocky.

OU-7 is my prediction for the opening line.

We win by at least 4 TD's though.

You keep talking all sexy like that and this thread will be 25 pages by Saturday.

JLEW1818
10/23/2012, 07:49 PM
Where u tailgate now days?

StoopTroup
10/23/2012, 07:52 PM
I have been moving around. I had a feast at the Greek House Saturday. OMG. I should have gotten the child plate. There had to be 2 pounds of lamb on the Dinner Plate.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3273/2993414489_6890c510b4.jpg

It was a lot bigger than this ^.