PDA

View Full Version : I hate the BCS. Playoffs can't get here soon enough!

8timechamps
10/14/2012, 10:03 PM
I don't care that we're ranked #9, that's fine.

Here's what I have a problem with:

LSU @ 7, and South Carolina @ 8. Here we go again with the SEC bias.

West Virginia @ 13, Texas Tech @ 17. Wait, what?! Didn't they just play, and didn't Tech destroy WVU?!

The biggest joke of all:

Texas is ranked 25! WHY?!

sooner n houston
10/14/2012, 10:10 PM
1 Alabama 6-0
2 Florida 6-0
3 Oregon 6-0
4 Kansas State 6-0
5 Notre Dame 6-0
6 LSU 6-1
7 South Carolina 6-1
8 Oregon State 5-0
9 Oklahoma 4-1
10 USC 5-1
11 Georgia 5-1
12 Mississippi State 6-0
13 West Virginia 5-1
14 Florida State 6-1
15 Rutgers 6-0
16 Louisville 6-0
17 Texas Tech 5-1
18 Texas A&M 5-1
19 Clemson 5-1
20 Stanford 4-2
21 Cincinnati 5-0
22 Boise State 5-1
23 TCU 5-1
24 Iowa State 4-2
25 Texas 4-2

SoonerStormchaser
10/14/2012, 10:40 PM
7 Big XII teams in that poll...not too bad

BoulderSooner79
10/14/2012, 10:54 PM
The list looks fine to me - this is the 1st sample with lots of top teams still to play each other. Going from 2 to 4 teams is not going to make a huge difference - it will still be very BCS-like with all the controversy and maybe more.

SoonerInFortSmith
10/14/2012, 11:33 PM
I think Florida ahead of Oregon is ridiculous.

soonercastor
10/14/2012, 11:36 PM

West Virginia @ 13, Texas Tech @ 17. Wait, what?! Didn't they just play, and didn't Tech destroy WVU?!

The biggest joke of all:

I understand the issue with Tech being below WVU considering that game was not even close. But I don't see the problem with LSU and South Carolina being where they are. What does your top 10 look like?

MamaMia
10/14/2012, 11:37 PM
When they have a bye and we have a win that same weekend, we may jump them.

OUster
10/14/2012, 11:46 PM
Doesn't alot of this start dwindling to a point once the teams start playing one another and one team loses? It's the first bcs poll of the season. Nothing more. The championship isn't for another 3 months.

goingoneight
10/14/2012, 11:54 PM
We need to beat Kansas before any of this BS is rehashed. Remember Baylor last year? Remember how we were all worried about OSU staying undefeated and thinking how Tech was just a fluke? Remember OSU in 2001? How we'd win at aTm again in 2002? How the Oregon game was supposed to be a fluke in 2006? Colorado 2007? How we'd beat Mizzou in 2010 simply because OU doesn't lose to Mizzou?

Let the cards fall as they may. Gimme more Sooner wins before we go campaigning for the BCS.

SoonerKnight
10/15/2012, 12:18 AM
We didn't have Mike back then.

BoulderSooner79
10/15/2012, 12:24 AM

The gators beat LSU. That's a big deal and looks bigger after what LSU did to Spurrier's team. The Ducks have their big games later - ASU,Stanford,USC,Oregon St.

Sabanball
10/15/2012, 12:24 AM

The biggest joke of all:

Who exactly are you accusing of bias??? The AP voters? The computers? The computers don't have biases. I get the whole "SEC fatigue" thing around the country including where you guys are in the Midwest, but I'm telliing you until somebody knocks us(the SEC and six straight BCS C's) off we're not going anywhere. Man up and quit making excuses...

Sabanball
10/15/2012, 12:33 AM

I agree, .... will be settled more than likely next sat when USC E goes to Gainesville...

Eielson
10/15/2012, 12:43 AM
Who exactly are you accusing of bias??? 60 of 60 AP voters? The computers? The computers don't have biases. I get the whole "SEC fatigue" thing around the country including where you guys are in the Midwest, but I'm telliing you until somebody knocks us(the SEC and six straight BCS C's) off we're not going anywhere. Either do something about it on the field or stop whining.

The SEC lost the NC game last year. Of course, they also won it, so it was kinda hard to "do something about it on the field." Unless Oregon wins out, it looks like these polls are going to put two SEC teams in the championship again. SEC teams are good, but they are rated high based off of beating each other. Do you see the flaw?

Bama deserves to be #1, but the Florida/LSU/SC thing is ridiculous. If Texas A&M had been in the SEC for 10-15 years, they would be in the top 5 right now based off barely losing to Florida, but instead their #20 (which is probably about right, considering they had a losing record in the Big XII last year).

MamaMia
10/15/2012, 05:40 AM
Who exactly are you accusing of bias??? The AP voters? The computers? The computers don't have biases. I get the whole "SEC fatigue" thing around the country including where you guys are in the Midwest, but I'm telliing you until somebody knocks us(the SEC and six straight BCS C's) off we're not going anywhere. Man up and quit making excuses...

Oklahoma State fans seem to think there is a bias.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/15/2012, 05:59 AM
Damn ATM should have taken care of Florida in College Station. Oh so close.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/15/2012, 06:00 AM

We didn't ask you, racist.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/15/2012, 06:04 AM
We need to beat Kansas before any of this BS is rehashed. Remember Baylor last year? Remember how we were all worried about OSU staying undefeated and thinking how Tech was just a fluke? Remember OSU in 2001? How we'd win at aTm again in 2002? How the Oregon game was supposed to be a fluke in 2006? Colorado 2007? How we'd beat Mizzou in 2010 simply because OU doesn't lose to Mizzou?

Let the cards fall as they may. Gimme more Sooner wins before we go campaigning for the BCS.

You're going off of past experiences when Brent Venables was the defensive coordinator. Mike Stoops isn't perfect, but he sure as heck has his defenses playing with a level of intensity that was very rare from Brent Venables except some of the bigger games. There is just more consistency with Mike Stoops regardless of the foe.

goingoneight
10/15/2012, 09:47 AM
We didn't have Mike back then.

I'm pretty sure we did in 2001 and 2002. Don't fall victim to the "we're Oklahoma, so we'll win them all" mantra just yet.

IslandSooner
10/15/2012, 09:57 AM
It does seem odd that after TTech "Boat Raced" WVU, they are still ranked 4 spots below them. With identical records??

CowboyMRW
10/15/2012, 10:23 AM
Oklahoma State fans seem to think there is a bias.

The computers didn't have a bias against us. They had us rated higher than Bama. It was Stinkel and Saban voting us 4th in the coaches poll that ****ed us.

The coaches poll is the dumbest thing about the BCS. You allow coaches with obvious biases to vote how they please that can affect teams standings.

8timechamps
10/15/2012, 05:03 PM

Man up and quit making excuses? I don't play the game...and just a reminder, you don't either.

First, you make an argument that there is no SEC bias, then you go on to explain why there is one. Pick a side.

Just so you know, there is an SEC bias. Also, can you tell me how the computer formula's work? Nope, nobody can. They could just as easily be weighted in favor of the SEC (which I think they are).

Nobody's claiming Alabama doesn't belong at #1, but I've watched a lot of both LSU and South Carolina, and neither is a top ten squad.

8timechamps
10/15/2012, 05:08 PM
I understand the issue with Tech being below WVU considering that game was not even close. But I don't see the problem with LSU and South Carolina being where they are. What does your top 10 look like?

What about Texas being ranked? Do you understand that?

What exactly has either LSU or South Carolina done that is so good? I guess SC can at least claim a victory over an overrated Georgia. But LSU? I haven't really thought about my top 10, but it wouldn't include 4 SEC teams. There are four SEC teams in the top ten, because they are SEC teams.

Do you really think LSU is the #6 team in the country? Auburn doesn't. And Auburn sucks.

FaninAma
10/15/2012, 05:22 PM
I detest the BCS as much as anybody but our little meltdown against KSU really doesn't give us too much room to complain.

8timechamps
10/15/2012, 06:56 PM
I detest the BCS as much as anybody but our little meltdown against KSU really doesn't give us too much room to complain.

I agree. I'm not arguing OU's ranking at all. In fact, It wouldn't have bothered me if we weren't in the top 10. It's probably the Texas ranking that has irked me the most.

MamaMia
10/15/2012, 09:02 PM
The computers didn't have a bias against us. They had us rated higher than Bama. It was Stinkel and Saban voting us 4th in the coaches poll that ****ed us.

The coaches poll is the dumbest thing about the BCS. You allow coaches with obvious biases to vote how they please that can affect teams standings.

I absolutely agree. My integrity is stronger than my total disdain for oSu, so I have no problem in saying that you guys were robbed. Look at how Bobby Bowden voted in reference to OU on a continual basis. We were undefeated, No.1 in the country and he votes us 29th just because he still had a chip on his shoulder. It's a joke.

At the very least they should be made accountable in having ALL their votes posted right when they cast that ballot. There was an ESPN poll after some questionable votes were made by coaches. 94% of all football fans who voted, thought the coaches votes should be made public. But get this...right after that season. the COACHES themselves voted on that too, and as we all know, they voted to keep their votes secret.

MamaMia
10/15/2012, 09:13 PM

We lost to a team thats still undefeated by 5 points. It was at home, so that doesn't look good. As far as being ranked behind other one loss teams...if we win our next 2 games, I think we should be right up there on top of the one loss teams.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/15/2012, 09:51 PM
8X,

Just using the premise of your thread... You say that now, but wait until some year where we're a 1 loss number 4-ranked team at the end of the year, and the "Star Chamber" panel that picks the final 4 elevates a 1-loss Notre Dame or some SEC puke over us.

The howling will be worse than the BCS... for us and/or any other team that gets jobbed like that.

With the caveat that I don't think the howling will be nearly as bad once they get to an 8-team playoff. And I think that is inevitable because of the above.

BoulderSooner79
10/15/2012, 10:24 PM
8X,

Just using the premise of your thread... You say that now, but wait until some year where we're a 1 loss number 4-ranked team at the end of the year, and the "Star Chamber" panel that picks the final 4 elevates a 1-loss Notre Dame or some SEC puke over us.

The howling will be worse than the BCS... for us and/or any other team that gets jobbed like that.

With the caveat that I don't think the howling will be nearly as bad once they get to an 8-team playoff. And I think that is inevitable because of the above.

At least with the Star Chamber there will be a transparent process - the fans will just have to look for the white or black smoke.