PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Landry

Stooper
10/14/2012, 10:37 AM
How fitting that in the RRS Landry becomes the winningest quarterback in OU history and 1 of only 3 OU quarterbacks to win 3 games against Texas. Congrats!!!

Boomer Sooner!

MamaMia
10/14/2012, 10:50 AM
He did well. :)

The Landry Jones we saw in Dallas yesterday, is the Landry Jones I would like to see on the field the rest of the way.

MojoRisen
10/14/2012, 10:54 AM
That is a big accomplishment! Perfect to do it against SUCK...

jk the sooner fan
10/14/2012, 10:58 AM
he takes a beating from fans - gets very little love - but he's at the top of quite a few career records

he's beaten texas 3 times.......not many can say that

BoulderSooner79
10/14/2012, 11:04 AM
And 2.5 of those games were blowouts. If we don't somehow go to sleep in the 2nd half of the '10 game, we probably put 40-50 points on them in that one too.

VA Sooner
10/14/2012, 11:14 AM
Yep... a record to be proud of. Congrats, Landry.

FaninAma
10/14/2012, 11:39 AM
he takes a beating from fans - gets very little love - but he's at the top of quite a few career records

he's beaten texas 3 times.......not many can say that

On the bright side he can finish his career in a way that would place him on the level of Sam Bradford in the eyes of the fans. Landry is a good kid and, even though I haven't been a huge fan of his play on the field, I was not ever in the camp that wanted Bell to start over him...even after the KSU game. But he is not the difference in this team. The defense is the major difference in this team's performance compared to the last 8 years.

BTW, I think we can put an end to the Venables v. Mike Stoops debate.

Breadburner
10/14/2012, 11:44 AM
He did what he should do....!!!

StoopTroup
10/14/2012, 12:32 PM
BTW, I think we can put an end to the Venables v. Mike Stoops debate.

We can? I guess. I'm not in the Camp that thinks Mike is a better DC than BV. I think they are a lot alike. I'm very glad the D showed what they are capable of but let's face it....fexas and Ash aren't very good. Pull yesterday off against ND at Home and I will begin to think Mike is really a bit better at getting players to commit and get a little something more than BV could. These players have played for both and coming in...I was worried that pushing BV out would hurt attitudes of players who BV recruited. So far it seems that they are playing very well for Mike but I think a lot of them did for Brent too. I think we all expected Jefferson to become a leader on D and that's exactly what we are seeing. I don't think that would be much different if Brent had still been here.

What I really think is there never should have been a debate. This came down to there wasn't room for two DCs. We are paying 1.5 million to not just get Mike but to keep him happy here so that he will do what BV wasn't most likely going to do.....stay at OU. It was pretty obvious that it was time for Brent to move on. We as fans don't have to burn every damn Coach at the stake that leaves here. Brent was a part of one MNC and Coaching 3 other Teams that made it to the Big Game. When Mike turns that stat around and we are sitting on 4 MNCs instead of a 1-3 Record in the Big Game....then I'll say he was difference.

FaninAma
10/14/2012, 01:10 PM
We can? I guess. I'm not in the Camp that thinks Mike is a better DC than BV. I think they are a lot alike. I'm very glad the D showed what they are capable of but let's face it....fexas and Ash aren't very good. Pull yesterday off against ND at Home and I will begin to think Mike is really a bit better at getting players to commit and get a little something more than BV could. These players have played for both and coming in...I was worried that pushing BV out would hurt attitudes of players who BV recruited. So far it seems that they are playing very well for Mike but I think a lot of them did for Brent too. I think we all expected Jefferson to become a leader on D and that's exactly what we are seeing. I don't think that would be much different if Brent had still been here.

What I really think is there never should have been a debate. This came down to there wasn't room for two DCs. We are paying 1.5 million to not just get Mike but to keep him happy here so that he will do what BV wasn't most likely going to do.....stay at OU. It was pretty obvious that it was time for Brent to move on. We as fans don't have to burn every damn Coach at the stake that leaves here. Brent was a part of one MNC and Coaching 3 other Teams that made it to the Big Game. When Mike turns that stat around and we are sitting on 4 MNCs instead of a 1-3 Record in the Big Game....then I'll say he was difference.

The 2nd NC game against LSU was essentially Mike's defense. Now, lets talk about the USC debacle and the meltdown in the 4th quarter against Florida. And this is just title games. I'm not even going to get into the debacles against WVU and Boise State in BCS bowls.

And if anyone really doubts the difference feel free to research the Sooner's defensive team statistics under M. Stoops and under Brent Venables. There is no comparison unless you are just trying to be argumentative.

StoopTroup
10/14/2012, 01:39 PM
The 2nd NC game against LSU was essentially Mike's defense. Now, lets talk about the USC debacle and the meltdown in the 4th quarter against Florida. And this is just title games. I'm not even going to get into the debacles against WVU and Boise State in BCS bowls.

And if anyone really doubts the difference feel free to research the Sooner's defensive team statistics under M. Stoops and under Brent Venables. There is no comparison unless you are just trying to be argumentative.

Your post is argumentative. And you continue to try and act like Brent wasn't ever at OU from 1999 to 2004. It's just not true. You can't even make it true.

FaninAma
10/14/2012, 03:40 PM
Your post is argumentative. And you continue to try and act like Brent wasn't ever at OU from 1999 to 2004. It's just not true. You can't even make it true.

Mike Stoops' defenses were always rated better than Venables. And it is silly to give eqaul credit to Venables for the defenses Mike put out on the field before he left. everybody knew who was calling the shots.

Here's what you need to do. Ask any Sooner fan who actually keeps up with the progam if they would like to have Venables come back and take over the defense.

You have got to be the last Venables apologist willing to stand up for Brent.

FirstandGoal
10/14/2012, 03:42 PM
Here's what you need to do. Ask any Sooner fan who actually keeps up with the progam if they would like to have Venables come back and take over the defense.

No

FaninAma
10/14/2012, 03:44 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1042/p1

You will have to scroll through a bit before you find Brent's current team's defensive ranking.

okiewaker
10/14/2012, 04:39 PM
Congrats to Landry. Happy for him.

StoopTroup
10/14/2012, 04:41 PM
Mike Stoops' defenses were always rated better than Venables. And it is silly to give eqaul credit to Venables for the defenses Mike put out on the field before he left. everybody knew who was calling the shots.

You have got to be the last Venables apologist willing to stand up for Brent.

Mike didn't call the shots from the MNC Game against LSU until we played UTEP this year. There is a bunch of Big XII Championship Trophies in the Switzer Center that Mike didn't have a thing to do with. I know you want to dismiss 2008 like 2005 but they weren't the same games. Everyone knows Brent didn't lose that game. Not punching it into the EZ and putting scores we had right in our hands allowed Tebow and the Gators to steal that Game away from us.

Keep on blaming Brent for everything if you want. I like the guy. He was good for OU and if I had to choose between Brent and anybody else in America....I think there are very few with his credentials that are better. You might have a short list but when it comes to being stuck with a nobody.....you would be crazy not to bring him back.

Don't let your dislike for Brent shuffle you onto the bus to Crazy Town.

MyT Oklahoma
10/14/2012, 05:24 PM
Congratulations LJ. Great game yesterday and glad that your a Sooner.

StoopTroup
10/14/2012, 05:26 PM
This ^.

ouleaf
10/15/2012, 10:25 AM
He managed the game well. Made some nice throws, but for the most part just let his guys make plays. Kudos to the offensive line, because he didn't really get pressured a whole lot.

Just glad they got out to the early lead.

yermom
10/15/2012, 10:41 AM
Landry also won us our first BCS game since the Rose Bowl

olevetonahill
10/15/2012, 10:47 AM

Yup, Ive got NO complaints about LJ.

BoulderSooner79
10/15/2012, 11:22 AM

For the love of all that is holy, why did you say that? You'll awaken the "yeah, but it was only Uconn" zombies and they overrun us and eat our flesh.

(Walking Dead fan here ;) )

BigTip
10/15/2012, 11:26 AM
He managed the game well. Made some nice throws, but for the most part just let his guys make plays. Kudos to the offensive line, because he didn't really get pressured a whole lot.

Just glad they got out to the early lead.

Yup. He never really had to step up it seemed. The ground game was going so well, the O line was doing great, he didn't have to show any heroics. And I'm not saying he couldn't of. I am a fan. It was great.

And what is up with our offensive line? These are the guys that were suspect early on? Have they gotten that much better in this short time? Or have that not been tested the last two games?

And is anyone else freaked a bit by tech and the hillbillies? Now I don't know what to think about our game with tech. Are we good? We just might have caught the awesome train.

Stooper
10/15/2012, 11:34 AM
I don't know if we have caught the train yet, but we sure just bought a ticket to get on it...

yermom
10/15/2012, 11:40 AM
Yup. He never really had to step up it seemed. The ground game was going so well, the O line was doing great, he didn't have to show any heroics. And I'm not saying he couldn't of. I am a fan. It was great.

And what is up with our offensive line? These are the guys that were suspect early on? Have they gotten that much better in this short time? Or have that not been tested the last two games?

And is anyone else freaked a bit by tech and the hillbillies? Now I don't know what to think about our game with tech. Are we good? We just might have caught the awesome train.

some of the throws to the receivers where they weren't ready for them were a little troubling, but when the timing was right, those plays looked awesome. the offense looks very different than it did just a few weeks ago

BoulderSooner79
10/15/2012, 11:45 AM
some of the throws to the receivers where they weren't ready for them were a little troubling, but when the timing was right, those plays looked awesome. the offense looks very different than it did just a few weeks ago

The entire team has improved with each game. Yes, even the KSU game showed improvement in many areas over the UTEP game if you stopped crying in your beer long enough to notice. TT was better and UT was better still. *But*, UT made us look better than we probably are because they were not ready to play and they are worse than anyone imagined. We still need to keep taking those steps to get better.

Soonerjeepman
10/15/2012, 11:52 AM
congrats to LJ as well... I do think JH called a good game, the other 21 guys...plus sp teams stepped up as well. I wasn't suggesting LJ get benched and Bell start on my thread after ksu..merely asking if stoops would ever switch them...his play from the ksu game to the last 2 is 180.

Hopefully the rest of the season the whole team can play like they did....

maybe we can pat ourselves (fans) on the back for pissin the team off and complaining! LOL

cjames317
10/15/2012, 01:08 PM
Congratulations Landry!

birddog
10/15/2012, 01:31 PM
Landry will be on the U here in a minute or 2 for those who care.

JiminyChristmas
10/15/2012, 01:37 PM
Congrats to Landry. I've been quick to criticize him at times, but there is no doubt he is a fine young man and good QB.

Here's to hoping he finishes with 41!

FaninAma
10/15/2012, 04:28 PM
Mike didn't call the shots from the MNC Game against LSU until we played UTEP this year. There is a bunch of Big XII Championship Trophies in the Switzer Center that Mike didn't have a thing to do with. I know you want to dismiss 2008 like 2005 but they weren't the same games. Everyone knows Brent didn't lose that game. Not punching it into the EZ and putting scores we had right in our hands allowed Tebow and the Gators to steal that Game away from us.

Keep on blaming Brent for everything if you want. I like the guy. He was good for OU and if I had to choose between Brent and anybody else in America....I think there are very few with his credentials that are better. You might have a short list but when it comes to being stuck with a nobody.....you would be crazy not to bring him back.

Don't let your dislike for Brent shuffle you onto the bus to Crazy Town.

There's no other crystal footballs in the trophy room and OU's has had offense's to be able to win at least one more. You can engage in ad hominem insults and play the denial game all you want but this year's NCAA defensive statistics are all the proof you need to determine which DC should be at the helm in Norman.

I doubt it would take a very large room to hold a meeting of those who would be clamoring for Brent's return should Mike once gain get the head coaching bug.

OUmillenium
10/15/2012, 11:42 PM
Congrats to LJ! 3 wins and two absolute blowouts of Uterus.

Mike Stoops winning attitude and toughness permeates the whole team, not just the defense. Thanks for your efforts Brent and good luck in Clemson but Mike is the man. And it is strikingly obvious.