10/14/2012, 08:13 AM
Classic Mack. I couldn't have said it any better myself. :tears_of_joy:

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/174065221.html

Brice Cherry: Get used to it, Horns: Stoops is just better

BRICE CHERRY
Tribune-Herald
sports editor

Sunday October 14, 2012

DALLAS — If it were a heavyweight fight, the Texas trainer would have thrown in the towel in the first round.

If it were a horse race, they’d have pulled out a gun and gunned the poor, limping burnt orange palomino out of its misery.

If it were a presidential election, CNN would’ve called the race by noon for the red state to the north — and would’ve been right.

Oklahoma’s Tom Wort (21) and Tony Jefferson (1) sack Texas QB David Ash. Ash left late in the game with a wrist injury on his nonthrowing hand.
Michael Mulvey / Associated Press

But it was a football game — the football game on the schedule that matters most, to both Texas and Oklahoma. It was the Red River Rivalry at the Great State Fair of Texas.

Wait, check that. Make it the Red-Jerseyed Revelry at the Great State of Unfairness.

This wasn’t the 13th-ranked Sooners thoroughly shellacking the No. 15-but-not-for-Longhorns, 63-21. It was Bob Stoops reminding Mack Brown yet again that, hey, I’m better than you.

That’s not to suggest Mack isn’t good. He’s won 78 percent of his games at Texas, including three BCS bowl games and a national championship.

He’s just not Stoop-id good. With Saturday’s bloodletting, the Sooners improved to 9-5 against Texas under Stoops. That’s a ridiculous .642 winning percentage in a series that’s supposed to be a toss-up most years — including this one.

Instead, the Sooners absolutely manhandled the Longhorns from start to finish. As contests go, this one was more one-sided than those rigged carnival games on the midway outside the stadium.

And Stoops the carnie suckered Mack’s Horns again. You could almost hear the OU coach barking, “Step right up! There’s a winner every time! (Just don’t expect it to be you, Mack).”

Texas’ tackling was atrocious. The Longhorns played whiffle ball all day long, squeezing more air than a clown balloon artist.

Whenever OU’s Blake Bell — aptly nicknamed the Belldozer — lined up at quarterback, everyone on the field, everyone in the stands, everyone watching on TV, knew his intentions. He might as well have yelled the play call to the UT defense: “No. 10 run up the middle on two!”

Yet even knowing what was coming, the Longhorns were powerless to stop it.

Not that the offense brought home any blue ribbons from the State Fair, either. David Ash and his backfield mates moved with all the inertia of a stationary bike. They went nowhere. In fact, in the first half, Bell produced twice as many touchdowns (four) as the Longhorns had first downs (two).

By the time OU’s Kenny Stills leveled Quandre Diggs with a nasal cavity-clearing block to spring Damien Williams on a 95-yard touchdown run late in the first quarter, it was evident it was going to be a long, painful day for Texas.

Yeah, the Horns were hurting, all right. After the game, in the team’s post-mortem with the press, they still looked plenty wounded. Mack Brown called the effort “unacceptable” but looked stumped when asked if the team’s deficiencies related more to attitude or execution.

“It is what it is,” Brown said.

Generally, that’s a meaningless throwaway quote, but this time Mack was right. The Red River Rivalry is what it is.

It’s an unfair fight.

Bob’s just better.

Widescreen
10/14/2012, 08:25 AM
A few interesting points in there but it seems to me the writer is trying too hard to be pithy. Maybe he's trying to get out of Waco.

Sooner Eclipse
10/14/2012, 09:21 AM
Can they fit that on a t-shirt? That's a great team slogan for the rest of their year. Maybe wrist bands too.

Judge Smails
10/14/2012, 09:30 AM
God, I hope they don't fire Mack..