PDA

View Full Version : Damien Williams

picasso
10/13/2012, 11:39 PM
Let us not forget that he's also a part of the reason we are playing on a different level right now.

Brother may be my newest favorite Sooner.

StoopTroup
10/13/2012, 11:47 PM
Let us not forget that he's also a part of the reason we are playing on a different level right now.

I was saying that last week. I feel sorry for Dom and Finch but he's "ON FIRE" right now. Clay got a TD today so he got some pats on the back but he too is having to watch as Damien and Trey Millard seem to be getting the calls from Josh. It's like either Josh had the light come on and had an epiphany or he was holding back trying to let everyone get the same PT to confuse the Teams in October. The latter being a huge mistake against KSU.

I think it's just that we are becoming the Team everyone wanted to see when we went to El Paso to play UTEP.

okiewaker
10/13/2012, 11:50 PM
Bout to see if he gets a helmet sticker.

BeaSooner
10/14/2012, 12:12 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img267/5296/2012gingerut.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/2012gingerut.jpg/)

Whorn reaction to his 95 yard tear...

StoopTroup
10/14/2012, 12:14 AM
So many to choose from this year. I almost got that one too.

Nice job.....funny as hell. I lost a bet too. I bet my Wife that Whornfan Women don't shave their armpits. ;)

soonercastor
10/14/2012, 12:18 AM
Trey Millard seem to be getting the calls from Josh. .

yeah they've been talking about getting him seriously involved. About time!

MyT Oklahoma
10/14/2012, 12:35 AM
Our boys are getting it together and so are our Coaches. Better late than never.

I am so proud of the Sooners the past two weeks. Great job.

picasso
10/14/2012, 11:44 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img267/5296/2012gingerut.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/2012gingerut.jpg/)

So we pissed off Ralph Mouth?

Eielson
10/14/2012, 11:56 PM
Outside of that one carry, our running attack with him didn't look that great. That's probably more of a complaint of our blocking than him, though.

Edit: But I guess we still had four different backs with 45 yards or more averaging over 7 yards a carry, so I'm probably being really picky.

Widescreen
10/14/2012, 11:58 PM
Outside of that one carry, our running attack with him didn't look that great. That's probably more of a complaint of our blocking than him, though.

You must not have watched the same game as me. He got a bunch of 7-15 yard runs.

MamaMia
10/15/2012, 12:05 AM
I am most happy that Landry is throwing and handing off that ball to so many players. We are UN-predictable. Thats what I like to see.

picasso
10/15/2012, 12:08 AM

Edit: But I guess we still had four different backs with 45 yards or more averaging over 7 yards a carry, so I'm probably being really picky.
What the hell? A quick look at the highlight shows him getting 7 and 12 yarders to keep drives going. mmk

BoulderSooner79
10/15/2012, 12:18 AM

Scratch the 1 sack on LJ and we had 353yds on 50 carries or 7yds/carry - those numbers would have the King smiling. Clay averaged 7.5 yds for gosh sakes. Averages for all backs include their longest runs, so "outside that one carry" isn't that telling. We did get stuffed for no gain a few times, but all teams do. Those are still valuable plays to defeat a good pass rush, which was a big strength for the horns (at least on paper). Bell also pulled down our average because they don't count the yards gained past the goal line. :)

Eielson
10/15/2012, 12:23 AM
You must not have watched the same game as me. He got a bunch of 7-15 yard runs.

11 of Williams' 22 carries were for 2 or less yards, and only three were for 10 or more yards.

Of Whaley's 6 carries, only one of them was less than 5 yards, and 3 were over 10 yards.

All three of Millard's carries were 10+ yards.

Clay was inconsistent, but also had 3 runs of 10+ yards on 8 carries.

EatLeadCommie
10/15/2012, 12:24 AM
Williams has incredible feet. Dude looks like a tank in there, but has extremely nimble feet. Reminds me of Lendale White (don't laugh) in that regard, only better and faster. He was turning busted plays that were losses into 3 yard gains all day yesterday. Deceptively explosive when he is in the open field.

I said it in another thread, but he ran that TD in 13 seconds and probably ran about 115 yards total.

BoulderSooner79
10/15/2012, 12:30 AM
11 of Williams' 22 carries were for 2 or less yards, and only three were for 10 or more yards.

Of Whaley's 6 carries, only one of them was less than 5 yards, and 3 were over 10 yards.

All three of Millard's carries were 10+ yards.

Clay was inconsistent, but also had 3 runs of 10+ yards on 8 carries.

You're concentrating on the trees and not seeing the forest. Williams was the starter and most his carries were when UT was still fighting and we used the run to keep the pass rush honest. He had 2-3yd runs that were big because they moved the chains. The announcers commented multiple times that the UT defense can't tackle Williams. The dude had a great game and he's been solid in all our games.

hawaii 5-0
10/15/2012, 12:34 AM
Damien's been great out there.

A lot of other players have accepted the challenge to step up their play,

Kudos also to Josh for mixing it up more. (When they line up in the I formation I still see a running play.)

Actually I'm for anything that's working and balanced. Keep 'em guessing and off balance.

5-0

BoulderSooner79
10/15/2012, 12:37 AM
Kudos also to Josh for mixing it up more. (When they line up in the I formation I still see a running play.)

Actually I'm for anything that's working and balanced. Keep 'em guessing and off balance.

5-0

We had 343yds rushing and only 334yds passing. Josh still needs to work on that balance thing.

picasso
10/15/2012, 12:38 AM
You're concentrating on the trees and not seeing the forest. Williams was the starter and most his carries were when UT was still fighting and we used the run to keep the pass rush honest. He had 2-3yd runs that were big because they moved the chains. The announcers commented multiple times that the UT defense can't tackle Williams. The dude had a great game and he's been solid in all our games.
That was kind of my point. I'm going to refrain from how blunt one would need be to not understand his impact.

Eielson
10/15/2012, 12:49 AM
Williams was the starter and most his carries were when UT was still fighting and we used the run to keep the pass rush honest.

I will give you that. Regardless, half of our carries shouldn't be between -5 and 2 yards.

Also, on the "still fighting" claim, with the exclusion of the big one, Williams had six carries for 1 yard in the first quarter. You guys can call me whatever names you want, but our running game struggled in the first quarter.

Widescreen
10/15/2012, 01:00 AM
Who called you a name?

Eielson
10/15/2012, 01:12 AM
Who called you a name?

According to Picasso, I'm incredibly stupid.

That was kind of my point. I'm going to refrain from how blunt one would need be to not understand his impact.

I only have issue with one person's responses, but knowing this board, I can feel that we're on the verge of this being a name calling thread that quickly loses any bit of legitimate discussion that was being had.

Therealsouthsider
10/15/2012, 01:22 AM
Thank God games aren't 1qtr long...that's all I'm saying :)

BoulderSooner79
10/15/2012, 07:33 AM
I will give you that. Regardless, half of our carries shouldn't be between -5 and 2 yards.

Also, on the "still fighting" claim, with the exclusion of the big one, Williams had six carries for 1 yard in the first quarter. You guys can call me whatever names you want, but our running game struggled in the first quarter.

Teams are fresh in the 1st quarter and the horns had the most talent on the D line of any team on our schedule outside ND. If you've read anything on our board over the years, a common complaint is we aren't patient with the run because the yards are hard to come by when the defense if fresh. The payoff is the second half when the D gets tired and can't get off blocks anymore. And as already mentioned those short runs are still valuable to keep the D from going into full pass rush mode. I feel like I'm talking football 101 here. Yes, it would be great if we could come out of the gate and start gashing teams with the run. But if we could, it would mean we are playing a team that can't challenge us anyway. The payoff will be against good teams in a close game - our up coming game with ND comes to mind.

olevetonahill
10/15/2012, 07:45 AM
We had 343yds rushing and only 334yds passing. Josh still needs to work on that balance thing.

Plum dayum embarrassing aint it

olevetonahill
10/15/2012, 07:46 AM
According to Picasso, I'm incredibly stupid.

I only have issue with one person's responses, but knowing this board, I can feel that we're on the verge of this being a name calling thread that quickly loses any bit of legitimate discussion that was being had.

Guess I should got in last night then
If ya dont wanta be called a Jackass, dont act like one

picasso
10/15/2012, 07:50 AM

Here's my original post. And we can look back to our other games this season where he's either made us look better on paper with a long run late in the game or completely changer our attack when he got his first start at Tech.
Then somebody comes in and says besides his one long run our offense didn't look that great with him?

Sorry I indirectly called you blunt. It was a long weekend.

Eielson
10/15/2012, 01:39 PM
He's played great, and he's helped. No doubt about that. I'm just saying I still want more from our run game. 50% is an awful high percentage of carries to be 2 yards or less.

BoulderSooner79
10/15/2012, 01:45 PM
He's played great, and he's helped. No doubt about that. I'm just saying I still want more from our run game. 50% is an awful high percentage of carries to be 2 yards or less.

Sigh. I guess I'll take those <=2yd carries that average out to 7 when the long ones are taken into account and be happy. Go back and watch OUr Duck game if you can stand it. You know, the one we won but the refs declared UO the winner anyway? They out played us for most of 3 quarters and owned the LOS on defense while keeping AD in check. Then they finally tired a bit and AD went wild for 150 yards IN THE 4TH QUARTER and we took over the game. An extreme example, but that the way it often works.

Howzit
10/15/2012, 02:03 PM
Who called you a name?

I thought about throwing out 'poopy head,' does that count?

birddog
10/15/2012, 02:04 PM
i hope our run game continues to struggle all year like that.

putting long drives together almost always means running the ball for short yardage. we were very rarely in 3rd down situations and we still "only" had close to 400 yards by halftime.

picasso
10/15/2012, 02:33 PM
Ever think about what his long runs do for defenses scheming against us?

Quick, name the last time we had a 95 yard TD run.

Sooner91ATL
10/15/2012, 03:07 PM
Williams is the spark that has lit our fire. He fights for every yard, falls forward, and makes something out of nothing. He is a brawler, not a finesse guy. Early against UT, we were having problems blocking up front and their tackles were getting penetration. Williams first 4 or 5 carries were for loss or no yardage I believe. He had the 95 yarder, and then in the second half started bursting for 7 and 10 yards a pop. I think given that our OL was totally outclassed as far as individual talent versus ut d line (those guys are all very good on that d line individually), to have 3 or 4 backs with about 50 yards each is phenomenal. I expected us to rush for under 100 yards against that D. 334 yards is orgasmic.

toast
10/15/2012, 05:08 PM
Often times it the small runs in the first quarter that set up the longer ones later on. It takes some time for the line and offense to adjust to the defensive scheme. Thought Saturday was very productive and hope to see it like that every game.

StoopTroup
10/15/2012, 05:08 PM
Ever think about what his long runs do for defenses scheming against us?

Quick, name the last time we had a 95 yard TD run.

Saturday? :D ;)

Eielson
10/15/2012, 05:21 PM
I don't think hitting Williams in the backfield is what wore down Texas. I feel confident in saying that it was all those 3 and outs.

Widescreen
10/15/2012, 05:38 PM
In 2004, we had a very good OL and AD in the backfield. We typically did not have a ton of success in the first half running the ball. However, by halfway through the 3rd quarter, the same plays that were going for 1 or 2 yards in the first half were now going for big chunks. Wearing down the defense via the running game is part of a successful offense. You can't say our running game struggles simply because we didn't have fantastic production in the first series or two.

Al Gore
10/15/2012, 07:16 PM

Is that his real hair?

birddog
10/15/2012, 08:04 PM
It looks more like a piece of shirt.

SoonerinSouthlake
10/15/2012, 08:44 PM
Is that his real hair?

its usually much longer. He'll go into full tilt "heat Miser" mode as soon as Halloween is over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yon2YuXssvo

radio
10/16/2012, 06:22 PM
DD = Double Dose...for a double dose of pimpin'!

StoopTroup
10/16/2012, 06:41 PM
enDzone to enDzone?

OU_Sooners75
10/16/2012, 06:51 PM

Are you seriously bitching and moaning about our rushing game against Texas? Seriously? It was the most yards rushing for an OU team since Adrian Peterson tore up OSU for 288 by himself.

Seriously, STFU and enjoy it!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/16/2012, 07:01 PM

I don't think anyone is going to argue that our pre-scripted set of plays were less than stellar. A lot of them had us doing some incredibly difficult blocking assignments just to see if we could. In the second quarter, we went to a modified zone blocking scheme where each player had a man but they basically just judo'd them out of the way (they let them go where they wanted and then sealed them off). This was the perfect variant for Texas (long thread explaining why -> http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/119955-How-did-we-get-here-on-defense ). This only really works if 2 conditions exist -> 1) Your OL is more talented than their DL and 2) their undertalented DL has no rush lane discipline. This is basically the same scheme that a lot of teams have used against us over the years to decent success.

picasso
10/16/2012, 08:50 PM
So we struggled running in the first quarter. How did we do after that?
Do we have a RB better than Damien right now? Has he not saved our asses on some long runs this season?
My God I started this thread to give the guy some props. I guess I should bitch at him for not getting 3 yards on some of his runs.

And we haven't even talked about his receiving skills. The guy has great hands and has become a problem for our opponents. I think we should keep him.

goingoneight
10/16/2012, 09:14 PM
If we struggled running the ball because of a handful of negative plays or plays that net less than 3 YPC, then the Wishbone struggled like crazy for years.

Eielson
10/28/2012, 12:30 AM
I know nobody will admit it, but l think I was justified in having concern for our running game.

picasso
10/28/2012, 10:53 PM
I know nobody will admit it, but l think I was justified in having concern for our running game.
Good for you brah. Let's go back and look at why this particular thread was started shall we? I wasn't exactly spankin' my wanky to our roughshod running attack. I was giving Damien Williams his due props. You know, the dude who made us look better than we really were at the beginning of the season?

VA Sooner
10/28/2012, 11:13 PM
I agree, Picasso... kid got us to this level. We need to figure out how to block better and bigger guys so our RBs can run through. We got manhandled on the line time and time again. They happen to be better than us in playing a mistake-free game...