PDA

View Full Version : Interesting reading

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/13/2012, 11:31 PM
http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/119385-A-few-snapshots-of-how-we-stunt-ourselves-out-of-position-vs-the-run.

P does a lot of the things that I did with diagnosing our defense. One point that drew my attention was this:

We’ve done a terrible job teaching our LBs fundamentals. This isn’t just about inexperience. It’s about degradation of skill and/or schooling our linebackers on “run fits” (essentially – make sure to run here when you see this) against a myriad of offensive looks cross referenced with our defensive call instead of a focus on how to read blocks, flow, keep guys off of your legs, which shoulder to use etc. Football is dynamic. And the back isn’t required to dutifully run to the B gap.

I hate to say it, but it’s very Charlie Weis. Treating a college team as if they’re skilled, finished products, railing against their advanced calculus performance when you never taught them algebra. Diaz had a chance to consolidate last season’s gains. Instead, he pushed forward as if Acho and Robinson were still here and Adrian Phillips was a grizzled veteran. "- Scipio Tex

I just have to wonder if this wasn't the same trap we fell into on D (in both the secondary and with the linebackers). I mean it has to be tough on a coach to have 5 years worth of spread in the knowledge at a position. Based on the videos from last year, Martinez was talking way over most of the DBs heads and they played like it throughout the year. I wonder if what Mike did was bring them back down to some simple baseline and then build them up from there. Basically, making them sound fundamentally is about as good as you can expect out of a college player, anything else they learn is just gravy.

StoopTroup
10/13/2012, 11:39 PM
Check with 75. He's the expert around here.

I'm supposed to make sure the Trainers keep the Bad Landry in the equipment trailer. I need to go check to see which one we used today. :D

VA Sooner
10/14/2012, 12:14 AM
"Simplifying the defense" was Mike's goal this year. He re-arranged some guys to tweak the secondary and that seemed to have shored up the big plays. What I noticed also is all of the substitutions going on during the game and I was having a hard time keeping up with the linebackers and who was in and who wasn't.

And it's a great thing... putting in your best backers for whatever situation and watching them perform at a high level today. I was impressed with them all and I was happy that Wort had that huge tackle/forced fumble on Ash.

But I think you're exactly right, JKM... getting your guys to understand what you want them to do and get out there for coverage is key. Jefferson seems to have some kind of innate knowledge of where to be and help out with knocking down the big play.

And our guys have great coverage skills as well as fundamentals down in how to tackle... something I noticed was a big problem with the Texas defense. Especially their backup linebacker, Edmonds (sp?)

On to the next game.

MyT Oklahoma
10/14/2012, 12:45 AM
Whatever Mike is doing I sure hope that he doesn't stop.

What time is the KU game next week?

StoopTroup
10/14/2012, 12:54 AM
I think Mike has improved the D too. I still wonder if he could put a stop to a guy like Klein who if you do take away the pass.....can you also take away the run from an agile QB?

KSU was the best Team we have played so far but I think after seeing us dismantle the whorns today and seeing tech take apart WVU after we stomped them in their own backyard.....We are on our way to proving that the KSU loss was a fluke and that OU is still the best Team in the Big XII.

MamaMia
10/14/2012, 12:55 AM
http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/119385-A-few-snapshots-of-how-we-stunt-ourselves-out-of-position-vs-the-run.

P does a lot of the things that I did with diagnosing our defense. One point that drew my attention was this:

I just have to wonder if this wasn't the same trap we fell into on D (in both the secondary and with the linebackers). I mean it has to be tough on a coach to have 5 years worth of spread in the knowledge at a position. Based on the videos from last year, Martinez was talking way over most of the DBs heads and they played like it throughout the year. I wonder if what Mike did was bring them back down to some simple baseline and then build them up from there. Basically, making them sound fundamentally is about as good as you can expect out of a college player, anything else they learn is just gravy.Thats a good way to put it and the impression I've been getting the last couple of games.