PDA

View Full Version : So Kstate has to lose two games?

JLEW1818
10/13/2012, 07:46 PM
And we have to win out?

StoopTroup
10/13/2012, 07:47 PM
Everyone else in the top 10 could drop a few games and we could have a Bama/LSU 2011 matchup. :D

JLEW1818
10/13/2012, 07:53 PM
Yes!!!

ObiKaTony
10/13/2012, 07:56 PM
And we have to win out?

If we win out we will go to a BCS game, our schedule would all but guarantee that. There are several things that has to happen for us to go the big game, but like 08-03 anything can happen, but were a long way from even thinking about that, plenty of football left. As Bobby Bowden said, "If you are going to lose, lose early." and we did exactly that...

8timechamps
10/13/2012, 07:59 PM
KSU will have to drop two games and we will have to win out. But, it's possible.

ObiKaTony
10/13/2012, 08:05 PM
KSU will have to drop two games and we will have to win out. But, it's possible.

I could be wrong, but I think we would jump k-state if we both had 1 loss (think 08 texas) we have a tougher schedule...

SoonerorLater
10/13/2012, 08:05 PM
No not necessarily. WV could beat KSU and if we beat WV then we could have a three way tie. Shades of 2008.

8timechamps
10/13/2012, 08:08 PM
I could be wrong, but I think we would jump k-state if we both had 1 loss (think 08 texas) we have a tougher schedule...

It used to be that way, but they changed it in 2008. Remember, texas whined so much, they finally made a change.

Here's the current tie-breaker methods:

LINK (http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=1546006)

budbarrybob
No not necessarily. WV could beat KSU and if we beat WV then we could have a three way tie. Shades of 2008.
No. WV will have 2 losses and KSU will have the head-to-head vs us. KSU needs to lose x 2 in the B12

8timechamps

I hope it happens this way, because I'm not sure KSU will drop two games.

ObiKaTony
10/13/2012, 08:09 PM

We WILL go to a bcs game if we win out. Whether we win a big 12 title or Nat'l title is waaaay to early to tell...

FirstandGoal

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

Seriously, a small part of me hopes this will happen.

8timechamps
No. WV will have 2 losses and KSU will have the head-to-head vs us. KSU needs to lose x 2 in the B12

Yep, you're right. How could I forget that WV got stomped today.

FirstandGoal
10/13/2012, 08:10 PM
Yep, you're right. How could I forget that WV got stomped today.

****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot that as well......

8timechamps
We WILL go to a bcs game if we win out. Whether we win a big 12 title or Nat'l title is waaaay to early to tell...

Yep.

StoopTroup
[SabanBait]Missouri gave bama a close game today. Bama is lucky they pulled that win off. Mizzou shut em out in the 3rd qtr. :D [/SB]

JLEW1818
10/13/2012, 08:54 PM
I'd love to win the big12, but wouldn't mind not going to the fiesta bowl.

ObiKaTony
10/13/2012, 08:59 PM
I'd love to win the big12, but wouldn't mind not going to the fiesta bowl.

Couldn't agree more. I think a 1 loss season going to the rose/sugar/orange bowl would be far better. Wouldn't mind seeing a 1-loss OU team going to the national title. :) Once again, waay to early, long season so I'm going to just sit back and enjoy...

DrZaius
10/13/2012, 09:12 PM

After watching the defense-less mountainqueers I am not sure if there is anyone that they play that can do it.

DrZaius
10/13/2012, 09:12 PM
If we had a champ game then we could settle our own fate.

FirstandGoal
10/13/2012, 09:16 PM

You know, I've been thinking about this. With no conference champ game, it makes it a bit harder, but we also know that it is also entirely possible to get into a MNC game without actually winning your conference. How funny would it be if KSU wins the Big XII-2-1-1+1+1 and goes to the Fiesta Bowl while we go to Miami?

DrZaius
10/13/2012, 09:20 PM
You know, I've been thinking about this. With no conference champ game, it makes it a bit harder, but we also know that it is also entirely possible to get into a MNC game without actually winning your conference. How funny would it be if KSU wins the Big XII-2-1-1+1+1 and goes to the Fiesta Bowl while we go to Miami?

That could be EPIC!

kevpks
10/13/2012, 09:26 PM

We need a little help to get back in the NC race, but I think that we will definitely be ahead of KSU in the BCS if we both have one loss. Our schedule is tougher and we lost early.

Salt City Sooner
10/13/2012, 09:29 PM
Thanks to the refs giving UT that bogus TD in Stilly last week, pretty much the only scenario of a 3 way tie occurring is OU-KSU-Tech, & much as I'd like to see it, Tech's WAAAY too schizo for it to happen IMO.

IronHorseSooner
10/13/2012, 09:41 PM
I think the teams that played in Lubbock today could do it, and I see WVU playing inspired at home next week. The problem today was that ISU's defense was decent, but their offense was horrible. I really believe that our win over Tech will continue to look better and better every week. Tech is much better than they were last year, and they could be this year's KSTATE (in 2011).

As for outside of the Big XII, the biggest issue will be (collectively) the State of Oregon. Oregon will start to actually play decent competition next week. I can see USC beating Oregon, and Oregon beating Oregon State.

Our hope now is to be the highest-ranked 1-loss team. We just crushed the #15 team in the country, and we should be ahead of FSU, USC, and any 1-loss SEC team. I think that the Coaches' Poll will reflect that, whether or not the Harris Poll will is a different story. We should be behind 'Bama, Oregon, SCAR (if they win), KState, FLA, ND, Oregon State, and Miss St. if they keep their lead.

8timechamps
10/13/2012, 09:45 PM
I think the teams that played in Lubbock today could do it, and I see WVU playing inspired at home next week. The problem today was that ISU's defense was decent, but their offense was horrible. I really believe that our win over Tech will continue to look better and better every week. Tech is much better than they were last year, and they could be this year's KSTATE (in 2011).

As for outside of the Big XII, the biggest issue will be (collectively) the State of Oregon. Oregon will start to actually play decent competition next week. I can see USC beating Oregon, and Oregon beating Oregon State.

Our hope now is to be the highest-ranked 1-loss team. We just crushed the #15 team in the country, and we should be ahead of FSU, USC, and any 1-loss SEC team. I think that the Coaches' Poll will reflect that, whether or not the Harris Poll will is a different story. We should be behind 'Bama, Oregon, SCAR (if they win), KState, FLA, ND, Oregon State, and Miss St. if they keep their lead.

Well, WVU should come back next week with a strong showing...but, their defense is terrible. Tech could beat KSU, if they play like they did today. It's still possible. Maybe someone will help us out, like OSU or even Baylor, I just don't count on it.

IronHorseSooner
10/13/2012, 09:49 PM
Watching KState is like watching 2002 Ohio State or 2007 LSU. You see that there are teams that SHOULD beat them, but they luck and ugly their way wins. It is extremely frustrating to watch. I wish that the fat cats in the conference would have found a way to get two more teams this past year to get back to 12. If so, we would have another shot at those lucky SOBs. For those who were too arrogant to think about Louisville or Cincy in the Big 12 to round us out, I would like to remind them that both of those teams are undefeated and ranked.

soonercastor
10/13/2012, 09:57 PM
Yup I pointed this out in the T Tech game thread. WVU losing wasn't a good thing for us. Can K state lose twice? Of course. But it would have been better if they only had to use to WVU.

By the way this refers to the Big 12 only.

badger
10/13/2012, 09:59 PM
If and only if Kansas State loses two conference games and OU wins out will OU be able to play for the Big 12 title at the Big 12 Championship game, as K-State has the tiebreaker over us in the North Division.

http://www.badhaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Troll_face.png

jkjsooner
10/13/2012, 10:07 PM

Only if we remained in a different division than KSU.

Just pointing out that it's a two edged sword having a championship game wrt tiebreakers. If KSU happened to be in our division their chances of not losing twice is greater due to one fewer conference game.

Sabanball
10/13/2012, 10:25 PM
Without a Big 12 CG this season, I see no scenario where a one-loss Big 12 team goes to the BCS CG.

That being said, I see you guys moving way up in the polls this week....

Blue
10/13/2012, 10:28 PM
Without a Big 12 CG this season, I see no scenario where a one-loss Big 12 team goes to the BCS CG.

And your opinion means nothing. Many teams already have one loss. Bama will have 2 by the end of the year. If we win the Big 12 our SOS trumps Oregon, SC, N Dame, and especially Alabama!

When are yall gonna play somebody?

Sabanball
10/13/2012, 10:30 PM
If and only if Kansas State loses two conference games and OU wins out will OU be able to play for the Big 12 title at the Big 12 Championship game, as K-State has the tiebreaker over us in the North Division.

The Big 12 will not be having a CCG this season.

Sabanball
10/13/2012, 10:36 PM
And your opinion means nothing. Many teams already have one loss. Bama will have 2 by the end of the year. If we win the Big 12 our SOS trumps Oregon, SC, N Dame, and especially Alabama!

My opinion is worth the same as yours or anybody elses. We may very well lose a game or two this yr, but we are in a very good position and I would not trade it with anybody else.

Blue
10/13/2012, 10:39 PM
Seriously, when is Alabama going to play somebody worth a crap?

soonercastor
10/13/2012, 10:40 PM

No.

Blue
10/13/2012, 10:42 PM
No.

Uh yes. Especially when we beat them. Duh.

JLEW1818
10/13/2012, 10:47 PM

The Big 12 will not be having a CCG this season.

It was a joke nick

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2012, 11:07 PM
It was a joke nick

Should have made the troll face larger. :P

Yes, KSU has to lose 2 while we win out to get the conference title. That's the way it goes - win your games or don't whine. A CCG can go both ways, and we don't have one, so that's irrelevant. If we win out (a tough task), we will go to a BCS bowl, so there is plenty on the table. Plus, we just stomped our biggest rival with a large group of potential recruits watching - time to enjoy this week.

soonercastor
10/14/2012, 12:12 AM
Uh yes. Especially when we beat them. Duh.

I don't know if that was sarcastic. But the fact that we beat them won't make our SOS stronger.
If we both finish with one loss, we will be ranked higher than them of course but they will have a better SOS.

VA Sooner
10/14/2012, 12:20 AM
Yep... K-State would have to lose two for us to jump them for the Big 12 Title.

So the big question now... who will beat K-State at this point.

soonercastor
10/14/2012, 12:24 AM
Yep... K-State would have to lose two for us to jump them for the Big 12 Title.

So the big question now... who will beat K-State at this point.

We really, really need WVU to beat them first after that hope they slip somewhere else. It will be nex tot impossible for them to lose twice if WVU doesn't beat them next week.

Anyway lots of football left, didn't look like Texas would lose twice in '06 and they did.

MamaMia
10/14/2012, 12:36 AM
Here's K-States schedule for those interested.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-12/big-12/2012-kansas-state-wildcats-football-schedule.php

SoonerKnight
10/14/2012, 12:42 AM
This is where I think you guys are wrong. I think OSU could beat KSU, WV, and TT. I don't think they go away this year without a loss or three. I saw when we played them our timing ( LJ timing was off but we still moved the ball effectively.) KSU D is not that good. They looked good because we played so poorly. It looks like we really fixed that. We are playing like a team that is focused. I actually say some similarities in our D and LSU's D tonight. We will be in that champ game. Domer will lose to us. MARK IT!!

Blue
10/14/2012, 12:55 AM
I don't know if that was sarcastic. But the fact that we beat them won't make our SOS stronger.
If we both finish with one loss, we will be ranked higher than them of course but they will have a better SOS.

Whaaaaa? Lets talk bowl teams...

ND played Stanford, USC, and us which we have beaten them. Mich? Mich st.?

OU played Kstate, Tech, Texas, ND, WVU, Ok state, Iowa state, Baylor/TCU

Blue
10/14/2012, 12:56 AM
Don't but the pre season hype that ND is playing a gauntlet of a schedule. Bama too.

Our strength of schedule will once again put us ahead of most if not all 1-loss teams in the BCS.

SoonerFanInAustin
10/14/2012, 05:16 PM
BCS projections:
1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida
4. Notre Dame
5. Kansas St.
6. LSU
7. South Carolina
8. OU
9. Oregon St
10. Georgia
11. USC
12. West Virginia
13. Mississippi St
14. Florida St
15. Rutgers

We should pass Kansas St by winnig out. We are not sitting in a bad spot, it this in fact is where we end up.

JLEW1818
10/14/2012, 05:26 PM
Hang 50 on Domer

ocugolfsooner
10/14/2012, 09:38 PM
BCS projections:
1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida
4. Notre Dame
5. Kansas St.
6. LSU
7. South Carolina
8. OU
9. Oregon St
10. Georgia
11. USC
12. West Virginia
13. Mississippi St
14. Florida St
15. Rutgers

We should pass Kansas St by winnig out. We are not sitting in a bad spot, it this in fact is where we end up.

OU will almost assuredly finish ahead of Kansas st if both teams finish with one loss due to our strength of schedule and timing of loss. Would be the 2nd time Kansas st would have won the big 12 but watched the sooners go to the nc game. Would be fun to here all the whining from manhattan and Espn if that scenario plays out.

VA Sooner
10/14/2012, 09:43 PM
Hang 50 on Domer

Exactly right. Hang 50 on Domer and the rest of the schedule and wait...

VA Sooner
10/14/2012, 09:44 PM
I'm thinking West Virginia could do it with their pass offense... Kansas State's d-line is good and their linebackers are excellent but the secondary was a little off.

8timechamps
10/14/2012, 09:48 PM
I'm thinking West Virginia could do it with their pass offense... Kansas State's d-line is good and their linebackers are excellent but the secondary was a little off.

The problem with WVU is that their defense is so bad, KSU could very easily control the clock. We need for WVU to find some kind of defense this week.

StoopTroup
10/14/2012, 09:50 PM
Heh. West Virginia did it in the Ballroom with the Rope.

http://unionofyouth.org/wp-content/uploads/clue-weapon-cards11.jpg

yermom
10/14/2012, 09:56 PM
a couple of things here

SOS basically means very little.

what really matters is style. the humans outweigh the computers so much

next, if we win out, and KSU loses once, we both win the Big 12. they have head-to-head for the the Fiesta.

that means nothing for the BCS title game. we don't need a 3-way tie, we just need be he higher in the polls. and if it's close, we would have an edge in the computers

lots of football to be played before then. this weekend combined with the last one looks really good though. i was trying to find auto Ws after how awful we looked at home and all i saw was Kansas. now i think we should be a strong favorite from here on out. ND looks tough, and @Iowa State could be a trap. Morgantown isn't quite so scary now.

FirstandGoal
10/14/2012, 11:06 PM
How funny would it be if Domer helped us on our way to a title game?

ouwasp
10/14/2012, 11:07 PM
Hang 50 on Domer

and 60 on ever'body else!

BoulderSooner79
10/14/2012, 11:15 PM
If we could win out and K-state drops 1, I just don't see us in the title game. The rules were changed after '03 just because the computers put us in the title game and the voters hated the fact they couldn't over-ride the computers. Voters have the power now and it would take weird circumstances for it to work out that way. We would be a lock for a BCS at-large bid though, and would be a coveted choice while K-state would be bound for the Fiesta.

mojorisen2014
10/14/2012, 11:58 PM
Doesnt Tech have only 1 loss? Tech could win out and we could have 3 way tie if Kstate only loses to Tech.

Eielson
10/15/2012, 12:02 AM
Doesnt Tech have only 1 loss? Tech could win out and we could have 3 way tie if Kstate only loses to Tech.

Tech is #7 in the country in the computers and has the best (now 4th I guess) defense in the country!

It's amazing how much less ridiculous this sounds than it did at the start of Saturday.

yermom
10/15/2012, 12:20 AM
If we could win out and K-state drops 1, I just don't see us in the title game. The rules were changed after '03 just because the computers put us in the title game and the voters hated the fact they couldn't over-ride the computers. Voters have the power now and it would take weird circumstances for it to work out that way. We would be a lock for a BCS at-large bid though, and would be a coveted choice while K-state would be bound for the Fiesta.

like i said, it's about style, and losing later hurts more. they didn't change enough that Bama didn't get in last year even though they didn't win the SEC. it's all about who looks better to the voters at the end of the year

thecrimsoncrusader
10/15/2012, 06:27 AM

And don't count that out. Texas Tech's defense wasn't a fluke against WVU, Oklahoma just played well against Texas Tech. Also, Texas Tech can/should/will score on the remaining Big 12 teams and they have already played the two toughest defenses (Oklahoma and Iowa St.) in the conference. The whole key is for Texas Tech to beat KSU, they do that and Oklahoma takes care of business, three-way tie, here we come!

mojorisen2014
10/15/2012, 03:09 PM
Definately stranger things has happened

And don't count that out. Texas Tech's defense wasn't a fluke against WVU, Oklahoma just played well against Texas Tech. Also, Texas Tech can/should/will score on the remaining Big 12 teams and they have already played the two toughest defenses (Oklahoma and Iowa St.) in the conference. The whole key is for Texas Tech to beat KSU, they do that and Oklahoma takes care of business, three-way tie, here we come!