PDA

View Full Version : Mike Stoops

StoopTroup
10/13/2012, 07:18 PM
Great Defense today.

A few things though. We need more Broken up passes, hurries and sacks. We had 12 guys that had 2-4 Tackles today. Tony Jefferson was the Tackle Leader with 7. Just a great Defensive Effort today. Glad to see you are getting these guys to play together.

AWESOME!

picasso
10/13/2012, 07:21 PM
Did you hear that? Let's get him!

ourichie
10/13/2012, 07:27 PM
Did you hear that? Let's get him!

*picks up his 1911*
:)

StoopTroup
10/13/2012, 07:28 PM
:D

Checkout the Defensive Stats Table. What we saw on TV was great. fexas couldn't run or pass but it would be nice to see us getting to the QB much more. If we did....I think we win out.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2012-2013/05_texas.html#GAME.DEF

Therealsouthsider
10/13/2012, 07:32 PM
We had a ton of hurries, don't see a problem there

StoopTroup
10/13/2012, 07:37 PM
We had a ton of hurries, don't see a problem there

We flushed Ash out of the pocket a few times and should have had sacks. If you count those as hurries....we were lucky he can't throw on the run. If he could have...He had guys wide open.

PalmBeachSooner
10/13/2012, 07:51 PM
I was a little disappointed that we didn't wrap up Ash when we had the chance, but give credit to Ash for escaping. However, he took some serious hits. If nothing else that's going to send a message to future QB opponents.

StoopTroup
10/13/2012, 07:54 PM
I was a little disappointed that we didn't wrap up Ash when we had the chance, but give credit to Ash for escaping. However, he took some serious hits. If nothing else that's going to send a message to future QB opponents.

Agreed. We really took it to them. Mike seems to be doing what he did in 2000 and the D is getting better every game. It's why we hired him so it's cool to see him doing it again.

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2012, 07:57 PM
What a change of heart!

I thought we were better with BV?

EatLeadCommie
10/13/2012, 07:59 PM
What Mike has done with this defense this year is nothing short of miraculous given that it has the same personnel and is-- on paper-- worst than last year's D. I will be curious to see how it performs against the rest of the high powered offenses, but there is no question now that Venables was an enormous liability.

StoopTroup
10/13/2012, 08:02 PM
What a change of heart!

I thought we were better with BV?

There you go thinking again.

I have always said that I thought we were fine with Brent and that bringing back Mike would result in about the same as a BV Defense. They both were here in 2000. Now....if we win the MNC this year....I will be impressed that Mike has improved as a DC to the point that he could do it without BV at his side. I wanted to see Mike and BV working together with this Team Brent Recruited as it was LJ's last year as starting QB. Had BV been on the sidelines for the KSU Game.....maybe we are undefeated right now.

Go pick a fight with Vet. He seems to be looking for one from someone.

8timechamps
10/13/2012, 08:03 PM
What Mike has done with this defense this year is nothing short of miraculous given that it has the same personnel and is-- on paper-- worst than last year's D. I will be curious to see how it performs against the rest of the high powered offenses, but there is no question now that Venables was an enormous liability.

No question that Mike is the better of the two, and he has worked miracles this year with the defense. But, I'm pretty sure I remember BV being the DC on a couple of occasions when we embarrassed texas.

StoopTroup
10/13/2012, 08:04 PM

I continue to question this but you are welcome to your opinion of Mike after 5 games. Right now I think he's doing a great job Coaching a Team he didn't recruit.

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2012, 08:09 PM
There you go thinking again.

I have always said that I thought we were fine with Brent and that bringing back Mike would result in about the same as a BV Defense. They both were here in 2000. Now....if we win the MNC this year....I will be impressed that Mike has improved as a DC to the point that he could do it without BV at his side. I wanted to see Mike and BV working together with this Team Brent Recruited as it was LJ's last year as starting QB. Had BV been on the sidelines for the KSU Game.....maybe we are undefeated right now.

Go pick a fight with Vet. He seems to be looking for one from someone.

Actually you have said more than once Stoops wouldn't be better. And you even pointed at his Arizona record as proof.

So far this year, we are a lot better than at anytime with BV running the show.

Now, I will agree with you one on thing. I would have also liked seeing BV stay, but only as a position coach. But his ego obviously got the better of him and he left for Clemson.

That all said, why don't you go pop some more pills. At least when you are popping the pills like candy you're more entertaining with you drivel.

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2012, 08:14 PM
I continue to question this but you are welcome to your opinion of Mike after 5 games. Right now I think he's doing a great job Coaching a Team he didn't recruit.

Having a coach being a lousy recruiter but an exceptional coach is much better than a great recruiter that can't coach!

You opinion is uneducated at best, splenetic at worst!

StoopTroup
10/13/2012, 08:17 PM
Who was the DC for The Sooners 9-22-12?

Just so you know....The Sooners lost. I don't want to come off as uneducated. :onthego:

In 2000....Mike had BV by his side. Coincidence? I think not.

You can keep on believing he wasn't there though Mr. Well Educated.

okiewaker
10/13/2012, 08:24 PM
4 for 13 on 3rd down made me smile.

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2012, 08:50 PM
Who was the DC for The Sooners 9-22-12?

Just so you know....The Sooners lost. I don't want to come off as uneducated. :onthego:

In 2000....Mike had BV by his side. Coincidence? I think not.

You can keep on believing he wasn't there though Mr. Well Educated.

SO you put the loss of the KSU game on the shoulders of the defense?

You're about as stupid as I thought you were.

The democrat liberal bull**** is coming out on top of your slow acting pain meds!

What does the loss to KSU have to do with Mike being better than BV?

Who was the DC that allowed 55 points in a national championship game?
Who was the DC that allowed 41 points to UCLA. 45 to Texas (twice), 43 to Boise State, 48 to WVU, 41 to Tech (twice), 41 to Okie Lite, 44 to OSU, and 45 to Baylor?
Oh, BV? Did you say Brent Venables?

Lets compare, how many times has OU given up 40+ with Mike Stoops as the DC:

Yep, you see that? not once!!!!!

BTW, everytime OU allowed 40+ under Bob Stoops was when Mike Stoops wasnt here!!!

Coincidence?

Pop another pill greg. Your brain needs one!

StoopTroup
10/13/2012, 08:52 PM
I think the OP was complementing Mike, but your here to save the Day with your IQ and Expertise.

olevetonahill
10/13/2012, 08:53 PM
Actually you have said more than once Stoops wouldn't be better. And you even pointed at his Arizona record as proof.

So far this year, we are a lot better than at anytime with BV running the show.

Now, I will agree with you one on thing. I would have also liked seeing BV stay, but only as a position coach. But his ego obviously got the better of him and he left for Clemson.

That all said, why don't you go pop some more pills. At least when you are popping the pills like candy you're more entertaining with you drivel.

Heh, I have SpongeBob Pillpants on Iggy How in hell am I trying to "Pick a Fight" ?

hawaii 5-0
10/13/2012, 08:55 PM
I think Mike will be a better recruiter than Brent and get us some of those choice players coming to OU.

5-0

agoo758
10/13/2012, 08:55 PM
Defene was unreal. I think they had one first down the entire first half..... receivers could get absolutely no seperation and it was great to finally see some pressure!

Blue
10/13/2012, 08:57 PM
I loved seeing the cornerbacks and safeties communicating. Also seeing us press at the line of scrimmage.

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2012, 09:04 PM
I think the OP was complementing Mike, but your here to save the Day with your IQ and Expertise.

Congrats on complimenting the very coach you were basically saying sucked by himself after BV left.

Face it tool, you are being proven wrong by Mike Stoops!

Like I said, go pop another pain pill!

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2012, 09:05 PM
Heh, I have SpongeBob Pillpants on Iggy How in hell am I trying to "Pick a Fight" ?

Its the medication talking. Forgive him.

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2012, 09:05 PM
I loved seeing the cornerbacks and safeties communicating. Also seeing us press at the line of scrimmage.

Yes it was. But BV must have taught that to Mike Stoops.

olevetonahill
10/13/2012, 09:06 PM
Its the medication talking. Forgive him.

I dont get mad at the idiot anymore, I just put his ignorantass on Iggy4 Makes life better that way

Blue
10/13/2012, 09:07 PM

The defense is night and day, dude. I don't see how anyone could think BV could even carry Mikes jock.

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2012, 09:11 PM
I dont get mad at the idiot anymore, I just put his ignorantass on Iggy4 Makes life better that way

True, but sometimes its fun to smack around the village idiot (with medicated dementia) a bit.

Its like that one pron in your life that you find disgusting, but fascinating at the same time....LOL

olevetonahill
10/13/2012, 09:11 PM

If Yall wouldnt "Quote " his ignorant PillPoppin *** , Id never see his crazy shat.

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2012, 09:12 PM
The defense is night and day, dude. I don't see how anyone could think BV could even carry Mikes jock.

No, what he has always said is that Mike Sucks without Brent. And he would always point at his record at UofA as proof!

And as you can see, when you actually bring substance, err facts, he shuts down and stops!

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2012, 09:13 PM
If Yall wouldnt "Quote " his ignorant PillPoppin *** , Id never see his crazy shat.

LOL, deal with it. At least its like a third hand comment.

StoopTroup
10/13/2012, 09:22 PM

If he could have done that....I'd still be posting on his board. I know he's upset and very ill. It's OK...I don't take his attacks personal....just think he ought to have some time off. Maybe a couple of years would do the trick.

olevetonahill
10/13/2012, 09:25 PM

Naw. I can put him on Iggy here , Just like Most folk at the Hideout wanted to do but Couldnt till I took him off being the Vbookie Mod. Which turned him into a Older version of CK

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2012, 09:30 PM
If he could have done that....I'd still be posting on his board. I know he's upset and very ill. It's OK...I don't take his attacks personal....just think he ought to have some time off. Maybe a couple of years would do the trick.

Dude, maybe you should stop thinking it was someone other than yourself?

Seriously. Howard defended you more than he should have in the past. It was you that went off the deep end in the grand scheme of things when talking about the boards.

We have all met more than once. We were all cool with each other. And then one day, something happened, and you changed.

You may think it was everyone else around you. But those of us that have known you for quite awhile are all in agreement. Something had changed!

It doesnt mean we don't pray for you daily (even though you may not want them). Its doesnt mean we don't think you are a great father. It means something has changed. And you pissed on those that had your back for almost anything.

You and I have always hd heated arguments back and forth. But Howard always tried to stay neutral in it all and even stuck up for you. Like he did others, until they went too far.

So instead of blaming others. Look in the mirror first Greg!

StoopTroup
10/13/2012, 09:30 PM
Naw. I can put him on Iggy here , Just like Most folk at the Hideout wanted to do but Couldnt till I took him off being the Vbookie Mod. Which turned him into a Older version of CK

That much better Leriod. Who says old dogs can't learn new tricks? Good Job Boy!

http://maddogenglishwoman.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/dog-biscuit.jpg

olevetonahill
10/13/2012, 09:36 PM
Dude, maybe you should stop thinking it was someone other than yourself?

Seriously. Howard defended you more than he should have in the past. It was you that went off the deep end in the grand scheme of things when talking about the boards.

We have all met more than once. We were all cool with each other. And then one day, something happened, and you changed.

You may think it was everyone else around you. But those of us that have known you for quite awhile are all in agreement. Something had changed!

It doesnt mean we don't pray for you daily (even though you may not want them). Its doesnt mean we don't think you are a great father. It means something has changed. And you pissed on those that had your back for almost anything.

You and I have always hd heated arguments back and forth. But Howard always tried to stay neutral in it all and even stuck up for you. Like he did others, until they went too far.

So instead of blaming others. Look in the mirror first Greg!

Bro, I put him on Iggy so I dont have to see his slow spiral into dementia.
If hes not acting like an older version of CK . Ill kiss yer grits

cleller
10/13/2012, 09:39 PM
Anyway, its great to be talking about how good the defense is again. The consistency has been calming.

StoopTroup
10/13/2012, 09:40 PM
Bro, I put him on Iggy so I dont have to see his slow spiral into dementia.
If hes not acting like an older version of CK . Ill kiss yer grits

You are the one that taught that kid everything you know and gave him 20 chances.

StoopTroup
10/13/2012, 09:42 PM
Anyway, its great to be talking about how good the defense is again. The consistency has been calming.

Sorry. I have groupies. They like to bitch a lot. Go figure.

http://spatcave.com/dc03/tony/spatgroupies.JPG

StoopTroup
10/13/2012, 09:44 PM
You are the one that taught that kid everything you know and gave him 20 chances.

Hey Vet.... ^

Opps....I think it was 2000 chances.

cleller
10/13/2012, 09:48 PM
Sorry. I have groupies. They like to bitch a lot. Go figure.

http://spatcave.com/dc03/tony/spatgroupies.JPG

?What did I miss?

Would it be possible for Dr. Frankenstein to create one woman from various parts of these? Mostly the redhead.

StoopTroup
10/13/2012, 09:51 PM
?What did I miss?

Would it be possible for Dr. Frankenstein to create one woman from various parts of these? Mostly the redhead.

There is an up front deposit that is quite large. I always suggest a Real Doll unless you have tried that and one of your dogs chewed her ears or something off. :D ;)

8timechamps
10/13/2012, 09:59 PM
I was a supporter of BV. I still hope the guy goes on to be successful at Clemson (and beyond). He has a different approach than Mike, and as of right now, Mike is the better DC. The more I watch what Mike is doing, the more I think Mike may be the best DC in the country. He was really good when he left, but maybe taking the time to get some head coach experience taught Mike what to do/not do as a DC. Whatever happened, he appears to be even better than his last go around in Norman.

It's early, and I'm not going to say a guy is a King after 5 games, but in those 5 games, I've seen a defense that lost it's best players to the NFL, and couldn't cover a receiver with a blanket last year, turn in to a pretty hard hitting, sure tackling, suffocating defense. No matter how you view it, Mike is doing some amazing things.

cleller
10/13/2012, 10:01 PM
It seems (to me) like Mike is much more focused on preparing for each specific team. Something new every time. New faces show up on the field much more often.

8timechamps
10/13/2012, 10:03 PM
It seems (to me) like Mike is much more focused on preparing for each specific team. Something new every time.

I also think he communicates with the players better. He's been able to get the most out of his guys.

Blue
10/13/2012, 10:10 PM
I was a supporter of BV. I still hope the guy goes on to be successful at Clemson (and beyond). He has a different approach than Mike, and as of right now, Mike is the better DC. The more I watch what Mike is doing, the more I think Mike may be the best DC in the country. He was really good when he left, but maybe taking the time to get some head coach experience taught Mike what to do/not do as a DC. Whatever happened, he appears to be even better than his last go around in Norman.

It's early, and I'm not going to say a guy is a King after 5 games, but in those 5 games, I've seen a defense that lost it's best players to the NFL, and couldn't cover a receiver with a blanket last year, turn in to a pretty hard hitting, sure tackling, suffocating defense. No matter how you view it, Mike is doing some amazing things.

YES!

Blue
10/13/2012, 10:11 PM
And I would be down for Mike taking over for Bob if Bob ever gets tired of the game.

It seems these two are better together though.

Sooners78
10/13/2012, 10:14 PM
This game reminded me so much of the 2000 game. Attack on defense and keep attacking. I never had that feeling with bv. His teams did have a few great performances, but never with the attitude we saw today. We never knew what defense would show up, and many games, they looked like they didnt care. If one of these players half a$$es, ms will be on him like yellow on mack's dentures.

VA Sooner
10/13/2012, 10:26 PM
Great defensive showing... really gelling as a team.

cleller
10/14/2012, 07:59 AM
Here's Aaron Colvin in the Oklahoman:

“We're comfortable with Mike Stoops and we're putting our trust in him,” he said. “Sometimes last year, some stuff was hard for us and I didn't feel like guys were really as comfortable out there as we should've been. I feel like guys are very comfortable out there this year and that's why we're making plays.”

And David King:

“He stays on edge,” defensive lineman David King said of Stoops. “He'll get in your face if you mess up. He's not afraid of doing it. All you can do is respect a guy like that. He's going to tell you what you're doing wrong as opposed to always loving you up when you do things right. That the kind of (coach) he is.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-sooners-defense-dominant-in-mike-stoops-return-to-the-cotton-bowl/article/3718838#ixzz29HIY2prb

Collier11
10/14/2012, 02:36 PM
Through 5 games there are no doubts that Mikey is superior to BV, and this is coming from a long time BV lover and defender...our D has given us the chance to win every game, our D dominated 3 games and dominated 3 quarters of the other game

MamaMia
10/14/2012, 02:43 PM
When are some of you people going to get it in your heads that you just can not fairly compare the two coaches? Like I said before...there are just way too many variables.

StoopTroup
10/14/2012, 02:44 PM
Through 5 games there are no doubts that Mikey is superior to BV, and this is coming from a long time BV lover and defender...our D has given us the chance to win every game, our D dominated 3 games and dominated 3 quarters of the other game

I know where you are coming from but really....the whorns really suck. Really really suck and Bob without Mike has taken them down numerous times. I will continue to think that one is as capable as the other until I see that Crystal Ball #8 sitting in the Switzer Center.

StoopTroup
10/14/2012, 02:45 PM
When are some of you people going to get it in your heads that you just can not compare the two coaches? Like I said before...there are just way too many variables.

I agree with that too. One thing Mike has over the others is he's Bob's Brother. I bet they argue until their ears bleed where other guys finally give in to the fact that Bob is Head Coach.

Piware
10/14/2012, 02:47 PM
I liked BV but the defense often didn't seem to be a complete package. The arm tackling and missed assignments were difficult to watch. Since Mike has come home, the D seems to be wrapping folks up, finishing the stop and playing better fundamentals. We are lucky to have him back.

StoopTroup
10/14/2012, 02:51 PM
We are lucky to have him back.

This is one thing I definitely agree on. Let's say BV was leaving and had landed the Head Coaching job he's obviously worked his rear off to get. It is awesome that Mike was available during a time where Brent obviously had reached a point where he needed a new path. I surely hope Mike feels this is the place he wants to stay and is happier than he's ever been. He has always been loved by us all.

Collier11
10/14/2012, 03:41 PM
When are some of you people going to get it in your heads that you just can not fairly compare the two coaches? Like I said before...there are just way too many variables.

Wrong

I know where you are coming from but really....the whorns really suck. Really really suck and Bob without Mike has taken them down numerous times. I will continue to think that one is as capable as the other until I see that Crystal Ball #8 sitting in the Switzer Center.

The Horns also lit up the scoreboard thru most of the season, all we can judge Mike on is how our D plays against good offenses and up until this point texas's offense has been pretty good. Also look what we are getting from our D line the last two weeks after most thought are Dline was not that good thru the 1st 3 games

MamaMia
10/14/2012, 03:45 PM
Mike simplified the defense and its working this team. The D has been more comfortable, especially in the last couple of games. They've gelled, so to speak. Having a new coach takes some adjusting but they've gotten the hang of it now. Like my mother always said..."Sometimes, less is more."

FaninAma
10/14/2012, 03:47 PM
Like what?

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1042/p1

Lets leave M. Stoops out of the equation. If Mike left again for a head coaching gig how many of you would LOVE to have Brent back as our defensive coordinator?

Collier11
10/14/2012, 03:48 PM
and the myth of simplifying the D has been discounted by Mike and the players

StoopTroup
10/14/2012, 03:54 PM
Also look what we are getting from our D line the last two weeks after most thought are Dline was not that good thru the 1st 3 games

I agree.....King is becoming a really great player. He got a sack yesterday. Still Ash slipped out a few times when we should have had him for a loss. It's the same problem we had last year with RGIII and this year with Klein. Jefferson is becoming the guy we all know he can be and Colvin is scary good at times. We indeed had the whorns number and the DLine are all getting their share of 1 to 2 tackles a game but the Secondary is who is really making the stops.

It was cool to see Senior Jesse Paulsen get in there and make 2 tackles and an assist. I bet that really has him feeling pretty good today.

StoopTroup
10/14/2012, 03:56 PM
Like what?

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1042/p1

Lets leave M. Stoops out of the equation. If Mike left again for a head coaching gig how many of you would LOVE to have Brent back as our defensive coordinator?

Depends on who is available. Like I said...It was time for him to move on and also when did what we like come into play? Bob is a loyal guy. If you don't like seeing guys return....you better start looking for a new HC and not a DC.

Also...this thread was created to give Mike props for Coaching a good game yesterday, not a who's better? Mike or Brent? Thread.

I think there is plenty of room for improvement but really am glad Mike seems to be really happy as our DC and I'm sure that yesterdays Beat Down made him feel like he made the right choice coming back as our DC.

It's all good as far as I can see. Some folks want to live in the past....I'm ready to see some new crystal in the Switzer Center and at the very least another Big XII Championship Trophy. We have a very nice collection of those. If you haven't ever taken the time to see them....you should. Brent was responsible for a bunch of them.

MamaMia
10/14/2012, 04:22 PM
and the myth of simplifying the D has been discounted by Mike and the players Stoops exact words were "We have somewhat simplified the defense" and "We'll simplify some things."

They're playing man to man. Thats a lot more simplified than all the previous exotic schemes we were seeing before leading to missed tackles. As a result there were receivers wide open all over the field.

goingoneight
10/14/2012, 04:35 PM
I'm not reluctant to give praise at all. We've been outstanding so far defensively and we're getting better each game. That said, we still have OSU, WVU and a couple tricky road games left. I would be pleased to see it continue to improve, but not at all shocked to see us implode again like last year.

StoopTroup
10/14/2012, 04:50 PM
I'm not reluctant to give praise at all. We've been outstanding so far defensively and we're getting better each game. That said, we still have OSU, WVU and a couple tricky road games left. I would be pleased to see it continue to improve, but not at all shocked to see us implode again like last year.

I think the ND game is turning out to be the biggest game on our schedule right now. I think they have a better team than texas and maybe we will dismantle them like we did texas yesterday but I have a feeling that a win against ND not only helps us tremendously in the polls but also that OU did have a misstep against KSU and is one of the best Teams in the Nation this year. Are we better than Bama? I'd love to see us matched up again. I'm sure they have tried to forget the Home and away Series we thumped them for and are riding high on this wave of invincibility that every Sports Writer and Coach believes to be an eventual back to back MNC....but we have faced Teams like that before and in 2000....we walked away with the goods. I like the way things are going but I think the 27th is the key at the moment and we also need to not forget that we play KU this week.

C&CDean
10/14/2012, 06:42 PM
The interior d-line destroyed the whorn interior o-line. D-stroyed. The interior o-line destroyed the whorn interior d-line. D-stroyed.

That is the difference in this ball game. If McGee/Walker & co can stuff up the middle like they have been the rest of the way we will be very hard to beat. If our o-line can keep getting a 5-yard push we'll be damned hard to beat.

I like this team right now. Nobody crowing like a ****ing rooster or acting like some sort of skeletonless deep sea predator. Guys following their assignments. Pretty simple.

FaninAma
10/14/2012, 06:49 PM
Depends on who is available. Like I said...It was time for him to move on and also when did what we like come into play? Bob is a loyal guy. If you don't like seeing guys return....you better start looking for a new HC and not a DC.

Also...this thread was created to give Mike props for Coaching a good game yesterday, not a who's better? Mike or Brent? Thread.

I think there is plenty of room for improvement but really am glad Mike seems to be really happy as our DC and I'm sure that yesterdays Beat Down made him feel like he made the right choice coming back as our DC.

It's all good as far as I can see. Some folks want to live in the past....I'm ready to see some new crystal in the Switzer Center and at the very least another Big XII Championship Trophy. We have a very nice collection of those. If you haven't ever taken the time to see them....you should. Brent was responsible for a bunch of them.

I guess I didn't see the specific list of what was allowed and not allowed in the thread discussion. My bad. I will say that I was just following the line of discussion that had been started earlier in the thread regarding the improvement of the defense since Mike arrived back on campus.