PDA

View Full Version : OU/Texas... something to think about.

goingoneight
10/10/2012, 07:56 PM
The winner every year has been the team that wins the turnover battle and runs the ball most effectively. I know this is generally true for all games, but especially the Stoops/Brown series. This is where I wonder what kind of advantage or disadvantage we truly have?

Thoughts?

MountainOkie
10/10/2012, 07:59 PM
With our patchwork OL and their very good DL Landry's going to get a lot of pressure. Landry + Pressure= Turnover Trouble.

sooneron
10/10/2012, 08:01 PM
With our patchwork OL and their very good DL Landry's going to get a lot of pressure. Landry + Pressure= Turnover Trouble.

Our OL doesn't worry me nearly as much as our interior DL. THAT would be more of an equalizer.

MountainOkie
10/10/2012, 08:06 PM
Our OL doesn't worry me nearly as much as our interior DL. THAT would be more of an equalizer.

Why?

sooneron
10/10/2012, 08:08 PM
Why?

Our DTs are somewhere between average and inadequate (pointed out constantly on here), our LBs can't shed blocks and our DBs are making the most tackles. THAT is not a good system for stopping the run.

OUmillenium
10/10/2012, 08:22 PM
Mike Stoops = Sooner win/Uterus fail

MountainOkie
10/10/2012, 08:23 PM
Our DTs are somewhere between average and inadequate (pointed out constantly on here), our LBs can't shed blocks and our DBs are making the most tackles. THAT is not a good system for stopping the run.

Well, I'd say it depends on whether Malcolm Brown is at 100%. Their last two games without him they haven't had a gamebreaker at the position. Also, I'd mention that our D did a passable job (even if it required DB help) stopping the run against KSU. Might be nice to see how Shannon helps out there too.

But regardless, unless we can find a way to alleviate the pressure on Landry (WV couldn't do it against Texas with a veteran line. Smith got sacked 4 times and turned the ball over twice) THAT will be the nail in the coffin. This kid does not play the same when he's rattled. It worked for KSU against us and Texas is going to try to do the same thing with better personnel.

SoonerinSouthlake
10/10/2012, 08:35 PM
Landry throws the ball well and keeps the D-Line off balance to set up the run....we win

Landry throws like he did in the Kansas St game, giving up the ball, missing easy scores, going 3 and out....then our defense will be spent by 10 minutes in the 3rd.....we lose

in all other phases of the game we equal out...some they are better in, some we are

bottom line, we live and die by Landry Jones, especially this Saturday.

JLEW1818
10/10/2012, 08:52 PM
The winner every year has been the team that wins the turnover battle and runs the ball most effectively. I know this is generally true for all games, but especially the Stoops/Brown series. This is where I wonder what kind of advantage or disadvantage we truly have?

Thoughts?

Why not just look at the team with the most rushing yards? Won everytime under Bob-Plaque

sooneron
10/10/2012, 09:10 PM
Well, I'd say it depends on whether Malcolm Brown is at 100%. Their last two games without him they haven't had a gamebreaker at the position. Also, I'd mention that our D did a passable job (even if it required DB help) stopping the run against KSU.

Passable...Really?
They out gained us 223-92 on the ground. Their heralded rb (never heard of him before the game) out gained us and had 5.9 ypc. I would not call that "stopping the run". JMO tho...

goingoneight
10/10/2012, 09:12 PM
Until we played the skinny, fading shadow of an attempt at Mike Leach's Texas Tech, we were a turnin' over machine and had one... yes, ONE takeaway in the three previous games. The Tceh game looked like a lot more polished effort by OU. That kind of effort destroys UTEP and probably gives us a better chance against KSU. Remember... as much as we helped KSU, they made every play they needed to win that game. We've GOT to corral and disrupt Ash. If there's one reason why people are high on him, it's because he doesn't turn the ball over a lot. He also doesn't see a lot of pressure and works off of effective play-action.

1. OU versus the run = nothing to write home about so far. Texas offense = works for the run and feeds off of it.
Here, I see an opportunity to make them extremely one-dimensional and beat them or a major problem.
2. OU protecting the football is CRITICAL. Blame Landry all you want to, but OUr backs and receivers have had FAR worse times holding onto the ball. We've been fortunate to not have more turnovers than we've had. Reminds me of the 2006 RRS. Iglesias had a fumble that swung that game Texas' way. Paul Thompson caught a lot of heat for his turnovers, but it wasn't just him. I would say, honestly a gameplan like KSU had against OU would be adequate to get the win in Dallas. Play close to the vest and let the defense get after Texas's QB. Play it out until they cough up the rock.

8timechamps
10/10/2012, 09:30 PM
Nobody should be surprised by our average (or below) play along the D-line. We didn't really have a stud coming back at DT, and we lost our best DEs to the NFL. I do, however, think this line is slowly making progress. Stoops said Casey Walker was a player of the game on defense. He must have done something right. Walker is the closest thing we have to a good DT. King is a solid end, and Washington showed some signs of life against Tech.

Texas' run defense has been gashed for big yards, and they have two of the best d-linemen in the country. They suck at linebacker, and as bad as Gideon was for them at Safety, they probably wish he was still there. Of course OU always gets the best of whomever they play, so I fully expect Texas to play better this week. And there is rumor that Hicks will be back from injury, and that would really sure up their linebackers.

I just don't think Texas can beat Oklahoma if we don't turn the ball over, or beat ourselves.

8timechamps
10/10/2012, 09:33 PM
Until we played the skinny, fading shadow of an attempt at Mike Leach's Texas Tech, we were a turnin' over machine and had one... yes, ONE takeaway in the three previous games. The Tceh game looked like a lot more polished effort by OU. That kind of effort destroys UTEP and probably gives us a better chance against KSU. Remember... as much as we helped KSU, they made every play they needed to win that game. We've GOT to corral and disrupt Ash. If there's one reason why people are high on him, it's because he doesn't turn the ball over a lot. He also doesn't see a lot of pressure and works off of effective play-action.

1. OU versus the run = nothing to write home about so far. Texas offense = works for the run and feeds off of it.
Here, I see an opportunity to make them extremely one-dimensional and beat them or a major problem.
2. OU protecting the football is CRITICAL. Blame Landry all you want to, but OUr backs and receivers have had FAR worse times holding onto the ball. We've been fortunate to not have more turnovers than we've had. Reminds me of the 2006 RRS. Iglesias had a fumble that swung that game Texas' way. Paul Thompson caught a lot of heat for his turnovers, but it wasn't just him. I would say, honestly a gameplan like KSU had against OU would be adequate to get the win in Dallas. Play close to the vest and let the defense get after Texas's QB. Play it out until they cough up the rock.

KSU played a near perfect game. OU played about as far from perfect as you can play. And it still took KSU picking up a big 1st down late in the fourth to put the game away. I think the Tech gameplan would be perfect against texas. Force long drives, and make Ash be perfect.

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2012, 09:52 PM
I did notice Walker being active in the TT game which was great to see - he was almost invisible in his first game back against KSU. I hope that he was just getting warmed-up because he was disruptive at times last season.

8timechamps
10/10/2012, 10:04 PM
I did notice Walker being active in the TT game which was great to see - he was almost invisible in his first game back against KSU. I hope that he was just getting warmed-up because he was disruptive at times last season.

He was getting more push than anyone, and having an O-lineman pushed back into your space isn't as good as a sack, but it's probably the next best thing.

AP_Hoss
10/10/2012, 10:06 PM
For what it's worth, PickSix has us winning. We were they're National Champion pick...
Besides that, been pretty spot on this season
http://picksixpreviews.com/index.html

FirstandGoal
10/11/2012, 08:53 AM
Right now the only team capable of beating us on the field Saturday will be the only one wearing red. Texas might not be capable of doing it, but I'm not sure about ourselves.
Plain and simple, we have have one less TO and we win that game against KSU. Yes, they made all the plays when they needed to, but I feel like the 2 glaringly obvious TO's were self-inflicted.

Soonerjeepman
10/11/2012, 09:04 AM
there is one saving grace...after watching the highlites from the other thread....I noticed some big D plays by guys that are starters this yr...soooo, they do have experience in the game. HOPEFULLY that will help..

F/G...agree, I hope out offense can have long drives, if we go 3/out a few times in a row the D will be spent...

MountainOkie
10/11/2012, 10:54 AM
Passable...Really?
They out gained us 223-92 on the ground. Their heralded rb (never heard of him before the game) out gained us and had 5.9 ypc. I would not call that "stopping the run". JMO tho...

Okay, that's fine. I concede I can't make that passable from the eye test watching the game they looked better than that to me. Even though its fewer rushing yards than Kansas, Miami or Miss. State gave up to them. That's still not passable.

What I won't concede is that it is more important that they keep the pressure off of Landry. If its by play calling or bringing in an extra blocker he is the key to this game, just as he was the key to the K-State loss and not the play of our D.

Sooner in Tampa
10/11/2012, 11:32 AM
My biggest concern is that Landry goes all stupid lost in space on us again and starts throwing to lord only knows.

goingoneight
10/11/2012, 05:39 PM
It takes a collective effort usually to lose this game. By that, I mean I've never really been able to point to one single guy who was the negative difference maker. Even when Hybl went all lame duck in 2002 (a turnover-plagued game we managed to win), we still looked very iffy all around. Tejas just stunk it up more. :D

thecrimsoncrusader
10/11/2012, 05:59 PM
By that, I mean I've never really been able to point to one single guy who was the negative difference maker.

You must of missed the 2012 OU/KSU game.

BoulderSooner79
10/11/2012, 06:26 PM
You must of missed the 2012 OU/KSU game.

You should cut the QB some slack -- Bell came in cold off the bench and the snap was a little low.

8timechamps
10/11/2012, 07:33 PM
You should cut the QB some slack -- Bell came in cold off the bench and the snap was a little low.

Wrong. He's CLEARLY talking about Tress Way!