PDA

View Full Version : This Quote Sums Up Our Current Foreign Policy

FaninAma
10/10/2012, 04:28 PM
“We borrow from Europe to defend Europe. We borrow from the Gulf states to defend the Gulf states. We borrow from Japan to defend Japan. Is it not a symptom of senility to be borrowing from the world so we can defend the world?”

BTW, does anybody know the person who authored this gem?

OU_Sooners75
10/10/2012, 04:34 PM
Haha...who said it?

Biden or Obama?

pphilfran
10/10/2012, 05:06 PM
Pat Buchanan

OU_Sooners75
10/10/2012, 05:14 PM
So Buchanan said it?

Lol

I figured Obama or Biden did. I thought Obama first since he thought there was 57 states. And the OP saying we borrow from gulf states to protect gulf state....

What?

SoonerProphet
10/10/2012, 06:13 PM
and we borrrow from china to fund two wars that are going nowhere and solving nothing.

olevetonahill
10/10/2012, 06:15 PM
and we borrrow from china to fund two wars that are going nowhere and solving nothing.

You'd think Obammy would have stopped that **** by now.

cleller
10/10/2012, 06:31 PM

For sure. Plus the whole Big Bird thing. Gotta pick your pet projects.

SoonerProphet
10/10/2012, 08:29 PM

nah, i wouldn't think that. governments love to toss cash down rat holes.

FaninAma
10/11/2012, 11:16 AM
Pat Buchanan

Very Good. How did you know that? Have you read the book that quote was taken from?

My problem with the Progressives is that they absolutely refuse to address the economic issues facing this country seriously. They will never, ever, ever consider cutting entitlements in a manner that brings the deficit under control. Worse, they will demagogue the issue so much that it will be politically impossible for the GOP to do it.

And I don't disagree that the military budget should suffer the same fate as entitlements.

Both parties are going to kick this can down the road and the most optimistic outcome I can hope for is that the generations responsible for running up the deficit are the ones who feel most of the pain when the deficit is brought under control instead of future generations who never voted for the idiots who ran the country into the ground.

SoonerProphet
10/11/2012, 07:51 PM
My problem with the Republicans and Democrats is that they absolutely refuse to address the economic issues facing this country seriously. They will never, ever, ever consider cutting interventionism in a manner that brings the deficit under control. Worse, they will demagogue the issue so much that it will be politically impossible for the anyone to do it.

My question is what do you think sane people should do about it.

FaninAma
10/11/2012, 08:20 PM
My question is what do you think sane people should do about it.

I don't know. I am a Ron Paul supporter and I've been told we are all crackpots.

We should have never gotten ourselves as involved in the Middle East as we now find ourselves. I am of the opinion our involvement there actually fueled radical Islam and allowed corrupt dictators and royal families in the region to use us as a scapegoat for their own failed domestic policies. We have made the problem a lot worse than it would have been otherwise.

At this point I think we are honor bound to protect Israel but beyond that I think we should secure our energy needs from sources outside the Middle East by speeding up conversion to natural gas and developing renewable energy sources. We need to take a page out China's and Russia's playbook and support countries that are friendly toward us. We cannot engage in nation building or complete societal changes. That has to be done from within.

BTW, China will be our only competitor for influence in the region over the next couple of decades. Russia's demographic implosion will cause them to cease being a world player.

SoonerProphet
10/11/2012, 08:40 PM
I don't know. I am a Ron Paul supporter and I've been told we are all crackpots.

We should have never gotten ourselves as involvd in the Middle East as we now find ourselves. I am of the opinion outr involvement there actually fueled radical Islam and allowed corrupt dictators and royal families in the region to use us as a scapegoat for their own failed domestic policies. We have made the problem a lot worse than it would have been otherwise.

At this point I think we are honor bound to protect Israel but beyond that I think we should secure our energy needs from sources outside the Middle East by speeding up conversion to natural gas and developing renewable energy sources. we need to take a page out China's and Russia's playbook and support countries that are friendly toward us. We cannot engage in nation building or societal changes. That has to be done from within.

BTW, China will b our only competitor for influence in the region over the next couple of decades. Russia's demographic implosion will cause them to cease being a world player.

Yeah, you are not going to find an honest discussion of the perils of an activist foreign policy within the current two party atmosphere. You and I being crack pots aside, we need to force our current crop of politicians to address the realities on the ground rather than offer up bromides about exceptionalism and democracy.

Don't think we get all the credit, the Ottomans, French, and Brits did their fair share of meddling. Don't know how honorable our current relationship with Israel is.

China faces a demographic issue itself. One child policy has limited force readiness and the strength of the military. Many families only have one kid and a life in PLA doesn't pay real well. Lacks a powerful navy as well. Lastly, if they want the phuckin headache, have at it.

FaninAma
10/11/2012, 08:47 PM
Yeah, you are not going to find an honest discussion of the perils of an activist foreign policy within the current two party atmosphere. You and I being crack pots aside, we need to force our current crop of politicians to address the realities on the ground rather than offer up bromides about exceptionalism and democracy.

Don't think we get all the credit, the Ottomans, French, and Brits did their fair share of meddling. Don't know how honorable our current relationship with Israel is.

China faces a demographic issue itself. One child policy has limited force readiness and the strength of the military. Many families only have one kid and a life in PLA doesn't pay real well. Lacks a powerful navy as well. Lastly, if they want the phuckin headache, have at it.

I can find nothing with your post to disagree with. In fact, I wholeheartedly agree. :D It seems simple and logical but hey, that's why I work for a living instead of advising politicians.

SoonerProphet
10/12/2012, 07:59 AM
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/what-obama-romney-wont-talk-about/