PDA

View Full Version : Leach on that "empty corpse" quality.

MountainOkie
10/10/2012, 01:52 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8486774/washington-state-cougars-mike-leach-compares-seniors-empty-corpses-zombies

Mike Leach evidently is not impressed by the leadership qualities of Washington State's seniors.

Unhappy with the Cougars' 2-4 start, Leach ripped some of his seniors for their lack of veteran leadership during a recent news conference, comparing them to "empty corpses" and "zombies."

"Some of (the seniors) have been great, and some of them have been very poor," Leach said Monday. "Some of them have had kind of this zombielike, go through the motions, everything is like how it's always been, that's how it'll always be.

"Some of them quite honestly have an empty-corpse quality. That's not pleasant to say or pleasant to think about, but that's a fact."

Leach, known as an offensive guru during his 10-year tenure at Texas Tech, is in his first year at Washington State after inheriting a program that has not had a winning season since 2003. The Cougars went 9-40 over the past four years under Paul Wulff.

The Cougars have lost their past three games and generated just 227 yards of total offense in Saturday's 19-6 loss to Oregon State.

Leach questioned the focus of his team and said some players need to "embrace adversity."

"We just need focused people. Rather than have fragmented focus, right now we're a team that if we face any adversity, we get discouraged," he said. "If you don't embrace adversity, you're never going to improve.

"We've got to be a team that embraces adversity, and right now we're a team that if it's not easy, we want to flinch and flounder. We've got to change that. Part of it is changing the way we think and part of it is we haven't really had the strength from our senior class we should get there. So we turn to our younger guys to develop them, and they're a ways off."

Brings a smile to my day.

C&CDean
10/10/2012, 02:04 PM
Yeah, sometimes I wish Stoops & Co. would go this route.

MountainOkie
10/10/2012, 02:14 PM
An empty corpse would smell better than a "full" corpse (I would think).

So maybe that's a nice silver lining for the seniors. :)

rainiersooner
10/10/2012, 02:15 PM
apparently he inherited a stinking pile of poo in pullman. those of us who live in seattle are not surprised.

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2012, 02:44 PM
This is all part of the Pirates rebuilding plan.

badger
10/10/2012, 04:26 PM
apparently he inherited a stinking pile of poo in pullman. those of us who live in seattle are not surprised.

No doubt. About all Wazzu has going for them is the Gameday flag and whatever Pac 12 television money you're welfaring them :(

KantoSooner
10/11/2012, 11:24 AM
Relax, this is only stage one of Mike's Master Plan. Next, all players will be required to respond to any greeting with, 'Yarrh!' Following THAT, all training table meals will be accompanied by 'tots o' rum'.

Finally, there will be provision for 'Wenches'.

He'll make 'em all pirates!

Flagstaffsooner
10/11/2012, 12:22 PM
College Football is so much more fun with Mike Leach!:cheerful::topsy_turvy:

prrriiide
10/11/2012, 12:23 PM
Aye, me comely lass! Prepare to be boarded and see why me roger be so jolly!