PDA

View Full Version : Who in the Big 12 beats WV?

achiro
10/10/2012, 12:12 PM
I know their D sucks but they can score. Is there a D strong enough in the Big 12 to stop them? I like how OU matches up as long as the D continues to improve along the way.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/10/2012, 12:19 PM
Oh! I know the answer to this one!

OU!

Boomer.....
10/10/2012, 12:20 PM
They may struggle with Tech this week. I think their long distance travel will catch up to them at some point.

achiro
10/10/2012, 12:30 PM
I don't think Tech will but who knows about that team in Lubbock. KState can slow the game down enough that they may give them fits. I thought them playing UT might give us some answers but it's hard to tell if Texas run D is that bad or if WV is that good???
Like I said, OU could if Landry has a good game and the D can get a couple of stops.

Curly Bill
10/10/2012, 12:41 PM
I don't think anyone in the Big 12 beats them.

..though we have a better shot than anyone else.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/10/2012, 01:00 PM
Texas Tech could very well surprise and defend quite well a very familiar offense that they see every day in practice. Of course, Geno Smith is the x factor there, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Texas Tech won this game. And as mentioned, the back to back long road trips could come into play. And Texas Tech should be able to score on that cheese wiz West Virginia defense.

LA.SoonerFan
10/10/2012, 01:00 PM
I think there are only two teams (defenses) in the conference that may be able to slow them down just enough to outscore them. That wouild be OU and K-State.

IronHorseSooner
10/10/2012, 01:01 PM
We have the best shot. KState cannot get in a scoring match with them, and I think WVU gets enough stops to beat them. On a side note, we need them to beat KState. If we continue to improve, we have the only offense that can outscore them. We also have the only defense that can stop them.

badger
10/10/2012, 01:15 PM
Aside from us (even if the game is in Couch Burn, WV), West Virginia may be the victim of a letdown game, much like we have been under Stoops a few times.

As such, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that WVU will lose at Iowa State (the week after they play us)

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2012, 01:17 PM
I'd say OU as well. We'll know a lot more about our D once we've faced Baylor and OSU and even UT this week. WVU defense seems better against the run than the pass, so I think that makes it really tough for KSU to stay with them.

MamaMia
10/10/2012, 01:47 PM
Our secondary has improved enough that I believe we have a chance. I am concerned about our pass rush.

BermudaSooner
10/10/2012, 01:53 PM
We will have to score in the 40s to beat them, but I think we can. K-State game will be interesting.

kevpks
10/10/2012, 02:14 PM
West Virginia loses three games: OU, OSU, and someone else.

rainiersooner
10/10/2012, 02:16 PM
Kansas State.

I think we could at home, not sure about going to WVU...

MountainOkie
10/10/2012, 02:18 PM
Kansas State.

I think we could at home, not sure about going to WVU...

The place is supposed to be crazy, or full of crazies I can't remember which...or was it both?

I think it was both, plus alcohol. So we'll see.

cvsooner
10/10/2012, 02:19 PM
WVU will have a problem on the day the offense isn't clicking. Or two fumbles by your Heisman candidate QB work out badly. UT doesn't make a bad snap to Ash and we just might be knotted up and going to overtime last weekend. The wind in Lubbock might play a role in the success of WVU's offense. KSU's defense is reasonably formidable. Heck, so is Iowa State's, when they're playing up to snuff. OSU can probably shoot out with them (I mean, Baylor did...so Baylor just might be better than we think).

Our D can, I think, match up pretty well, but we'll see. Hopefully our road woes are behind us.

rock on sooner
10/10/2012, 02:42 PM
After we put a hurt on the Horns with a strong defense, AND get by a
much improved Domer bunch then WVU will be in the bag.

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2012, 02:49 PM
West Virginia loses three games: OU, OSU, and someone else.

OSU is an interesting choice - I hadn't thought about them. They have all the tools to take advantage of the WVU defense like Baylor with more capability to play ball control. Their D is weak, but they do some crazy, high risk pressure stuff that could pay off in any given game.

OU_Sooners75
10/10/2012, 03:00 PM
Who in the Big 12 as the defense that can beat them?

Well....hmmmm.

KSU has the defense that can beat them, along with the ball control offense.

OSU has the offensive fire power to win in a shoot out. But not really the defense.

TCU has the defense that can slow them down. Just don't see them having an offense to do the job.

KU? Haha, no!

ISU? I highly doubt it, but they have been surprising people at least once a year the last few years.

Tech? Idk. They certainly have the offense. And if their defense is legit, they could.
And last but certainly not least...OU. yes OU has the defense that can shut them down, or at least make enough stops to win the game. Problem we will have by that time is will we have an injury problem like normal that time of year. And will the offense continue to improve and play to their potential? Yes, OU could beat them, but so can just about any team left on their schedule.

That said, we have seen this crapshoot offense before. In fact Mike Leach is the king of it. And Dana H. Doesn't do a damn thing different. Our key to winning that game will rest with our offense. Because I think our defense will be in very good shape by the time we play WVU.

Salt City Sooner
10/10/2012, 04:02 PM
Who in the Big 12 as the defense that can beat them?

Well....hmmmm.

KSU has the defense that can beat them, along with the ball control offense.

OSU has the offensive fire power to win in a shoot out. But not really the defense.

TCU has the defense that can slow them down. Just don't see them having an offense to do the job.

KU? Haha, no!

ISU? I highly doubt it, but they have been surprising people at least once a year the last few years.

Tech? Idk. They certainly have the offense. And if their defense is legit, they could.
And last but certainly not least...OU. yes OU has the defense that can shut them down, or at least make enough stops to win the game. Problem we will have by that time is will we have an injury problem like normal that time of year. And will the offense continue to improve and play to their potential? Yes, OU could beat them, but so can just about any team left on their schedule.

That said, we have seen this crapshoot offense before. In fact Mike Leach is the king of it. And Dana H. Doesn't do a damn thing different. Our key to winning that game will rest with our offense. Because I think our defense will be in very good shape by the time we play WVU.
Schematically maybe, but there's one thing that DH does that's different in a big way from what Leach has done, & IMO, it's what makes his O much more difficult to defend; he's not adverse to running the ball when he sees that it's what the D is giving him. From a YPG standpoint, DH's worst year running the ball (last year @ WVU) has been better than Leach's BEST year @ TTU (2008). I'd be willing to bet every dollar I own that WVU doesn't gouge UT on the ground the way they did last week had it been Leach calling the plays.

Jacie
10/10/2012, 04:30 PM
Prior to the season, I believed the hype about WV. Having seen what happens against fair to mediocre Big XII teams, I have to suspect that they are overrated, unbeaten yes, but overrated. I can see two or three conference losses to this team. The Sooners and Pokes could both beat em.

JLEW1818
10/10/2012, 06:56 PM
WV is only a 4 point fav at tech. Fishy, Vegas.

OU_Sooners75
10/10/2012, 07:31 PM
Salt City....

I would have to say, Leach used the pass as his running plays. He was the master of the spread.

Yes Holg does better at giving what the defense gives you. But Texas just sucks on defense this year.

OU_Sooners75
10/10/2012, 07:34 PM

Sounds about right to start. Got to generate interest in the game with the gamblers.

By week end it will likely be aroun 10.5 points.

But then again, I can see Tech pulling an upset in this game. They have the fire power to have a shootout with WVU and they will have the best defense they have faced to date this year.

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2012, 09:38 PM
I don't see the TT fire power. Both ISU and OU made their O look pedestrian.

8timechamps
10/10/2012, 09:45 PM
I'm still not sold on WVU.

Their marquee win was last weekend, and lets face it, texas hasn't beaten a ranked team since...when? 2009 or something. Before that, their big win was Baylor. They won by 7, at home, while giving up 63 points. Now, I think WVU is a good team with a great offense, but I'm not going to crown them champions until they earn it.

Would anyone be too surprised if they lost to Tech this weekend? I wouldn't be. I also wouldn't be surprised if they lost to OSU, KSU and OU. If they run the table, I'll be the first say I was wrong. I just don't think they're as good as everyone want to claim. After we beat texas this weekend, their win will be even less impressive.

sooneron
10/10/2012, 10:35 PM
My guess would be us & OSewe.

King Crimson
10/10/2012, 10:51 PM
My guess would be us & OSewe.

not sold us ever much against a good run/pass QB. those guys have given us fits under Stoops. and on the road we are no magic number of late. Gundy has seen Holgerson up close...so maybe. sure, why not?

Tuberville could pull a D thing out of his wazzou...possible.

winning in Austin is a good win.

edit: more than i know WVU is beatable at home, we look like the 3 (maybe 4) loss team we probably are.

King Crimson
10/10/2012, 11:01 PM

seriously. i took WVU in my pickem right away. who knows who wins? who knows who covers...but, for a team that just got waxed at home....only+4?

out of 10 picks is a good bet. might not be what happens, but it's a good bet. there's a diff.

picasso
10/10/2012, 11:18 PM
Does the WV QB like to run? I haven't seen it. Plus, he apparently talks a lot of ****.

BoulderSooner79
10/11/2012, 03:05 AM
I don't know if Geno Smith likes to run, but he is pretty good at it when does. Their offense does not use the QB as a runner by design in any games I've seen; but Smith can scrabble.

Jacie
10/11/2012, 06:04 AM
winning in Austin is a good win.

Sure is. Just ask Baylor, KSU, OSU, ISU . . .

SoonerMarkVA
10/11/2012, 11:13 AM
KSU, OU, and TCU all have a shot. Chances of WV beating all 3 seem pretty slim.

BoulderSooner79
10/11/2012, 11:18 AM
If OU doesn't win the conference, I don't care if it's WVU that does. That's better than a team clad in orange.

Okie35
10/11/2012, 12:36 PM

Well they haven't had a taste of Lubbock yet. It's a hard place to play. Also, this could end up being their Syracuse game from last year.

Okie35
10/11/2012, 12:37 PM
I'm still not sold on WVU.

Their marquee win was last weekend, and lets face it, texas hasn't beaten a ranked team since...when? 2009 or something. Before that, their big win was Baylor. They won by 7, at home, while giving up 63 points. Now, I think WVU is a good team with a great offense, but I'm not going to crown them champions until they earn it.

Would anyone be too surprised if they lost to Tech this weekend? I wouldn't be. I also wouldn't be surprised if they lost to OSU, KSU and OU. If they run the table, I'll be the first say I was wrong. I just don't think they're as good as everyone want to claim. After we beat texas this weekend, their win will be even less impressive.

I wouldn't be but I don't want it to happen. I want us to beat them.

Soonerjeepman
10/11/2012, 01:35 PM
If OU doesn't win the conference, I don't care if it's WVU that does. That's better than a team clad in orange.

I'd rather see ksu...at least an old Big 8 team...

8timechamps
10/11/2012, 02:54 PM
Does the WV QB like to run? I haven't seen it. Plus, he apparently talks a lot of ****.

There is a common misconception about Geno, and it's that he's a running QB. He is about as much a running QB as Landry is. He has a cannon for an arm, and lot of talented receivers. Texas had success getting pressure on him (and sacking him 4 or 5 times), but the guy just wouldn't get rattled. He kept getting back up and making the throws.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/11/2012, 03:03 PM
I don't see the TT fire power. Both ISU and OU made their O look pedestrian.

True, but OU and ISU (coaching and 2 good linebackers) also have the two best defenses in the Big 12. There is a big drop-off after that.

BoulderSooner79
10/11/2012, 03:10 PM
True, but OU and ISU (coaching and 2 good linebackers) also have the two best defenses in the Big 12. There is a big drop-off after that.

True, but that is the only 2 real teams they have played so far so not much data to go on. I certainly think TT will score more points against WVU than they did against us, but I also see WVU scoring way more points than we did against TT.

BoulderSooner79
10/11/2012, 03:24 PM
I'd rather see ksu...at least an old Big 8 team...

And there is the fact KSU has already beaten us and we can't un-ring that bell :) But I'd rather keep my silly hopes for a conference title alive and see KSU drop a couple of games while we keep winning. If WVU does take the conference, it's the team least likely to compete against us in recruiting.

Salt City Sooner
10/11/2012, 04:09 PM
I don't know if Geno Smith likes to run, but he is pretty good at it when does. Their offense does not use the QB as a runner by design in any games I've seen; but Smith can scrabble.
Well, he HAS had enough time in the pocket this year to be playing board games.....:D

BoulderSooner79
10/11/2012, 04:16 PM
Well, he HAS had enough time in the pocket this year to be playing board games.....:D

Yep. He's also been playing a little Monopoly with the Heisman hype and already has Park Place and the railroads. ;)

SoonerorLater
10/11/2012, 05:41 PM
Nobody, they run the table. The schedule falls in place for them. If they had to play either KSU or OU on the road instead of getting both at home then I think they may drop one. If they do lose I see it possibly ISU on the road but ISU isn't sneaking up on anybody. Just don't see anybody to stop them.

Boomer.....
10/13/2012, 10:10 PM
:pop:

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2012, 10:21 PM
If the WVU game had been the first game today, I would have been shocked by what TT did to them. But after OUr guys showed what the horns are really made of and the fact WVU almost lost to UT, I was just slightly surprised. I guess the WVU/Maryland game was no fluke where they had an unimpressive win against a very weak team.