PDA

View Full Version : Good News, Bad News from Zeppelin

cleller
10/10/2012, 08:55 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/jimmy-page-says-no-led-zeppelin-reunion-052803527.html

Yes the O2 concert on dvd now, no-still no reunion.

After the concert I was hopeful, but it may have been a letdown. Robert Plant is probably right.

yermom
10/10/2012, 09:18 AM
Robert Plant has been pretty vocal about it, from what i remember. He was tired of playing the same stuff over and over.

a lot of their early stuff wasn't really original and he kinda moved on. they really did seem crushed by the loss of John Bonham as well.

i saw him in 2005 at Cain's and wasn't 70's Robert Plant anymore, but he still was amazing to see.

I'm anxious to see this show, but there is no way it can live up to back in the day. if you haven't checked out How the West Was Won, DO IT!

i did listen to a bootleg from the show in question, but the quality was pretty bad. i'm glad they are releasing this. i can't believe it took this long, they really must not be hurting for cash :)

StoopTroup
10/10/2012, 02:28 PM
If they could all stand each other long enough to put out a new album...I think they would only have to do 50 to 150 shows around the World but for guys that old....I doubt they are even able to commit to 20-30. I would imagine they would get paid enough money to buy their own Country but once they sign off on a deal like that....well....Elvis and Micheal Jackson didn't survive the pressure that was put on them as young men.

Plant is 64
Page is 68
Jones is 66

I think it would be cool but they all would have to want to do it again. I went to the Page/Plant "Walking into Clarksdale" Tour and it was really awesome to see them together again but to get Zep back and want to play all the old stuff....I'm not sure it will ever happen unless they all feel that they should leave a DVD'd Totally High Def Recorded Tour that would leave a work of art for Music Fans to enjoy long after they are gone. Whatever happens it would surely be a historical last Tour....one that the Beatles avoided. They are all legends and to me geniuses. I have all their albums up to "In through the Out Door" on my playlist and every time I think about which album is my favorite...it changes to the one I'm listening to at the moment every time. From 1969 to 1979 they made Albums that people could listen to all the way through. Each one IMO is a Masterpiece.

cleller
10/10/2012, 04:11 PM
Robert Plant has been pretty vocal about it, from what i remember. He was tired of playing the same stuff over and over.

a lot of their early stuff wasn't really original and he kinda moved on. they really did seem crushed by the loss of John Bonham as well.

i saw him in 2005 at Cain's and wasn't 70's Robert Plant anymore, but he still was amazing to see.

I'm anxious to see this show, but there is no way it can live up to back in the day. if you haven't checked out How the West Was Won, DO IT!

i did listen to a bootleg from the show in question, but the quality was pretty bad. i'm glad they are releasing this. i can't believe it took this long, they really must not be hurting for cash :)

There's lots of vids of the O2 concert on Youtube. Some pretty decent quality. They were really on top of things, and had superb audio. They wisely made sure that if this was the last time, they'd go out with a bang. Shortly afterward Page said they did film the show, but weren't sure they'd release it. He wanted it put together just right, or not at all.
I guess since Plant put the nix on a reunion, Page settled down and put his energy into the concert footage.

StoopTroup
10/10/2012, 04:54 PM
I hope to get a copy. My Wife loves RnR DVDs. I once sold our DVDs and just about got killed. I have since replaced many of them. Getting her this one wont probably get me out of the doghouse but at least she'll know I'm still trying. :D

hellogoodbye
10/12/2012, 09:12 AM
P&P toured for a few years. My thought is that was Plant's way of doing a Zep reunion without it being a Zep reunion. Thats the kind of head fake Zep reunion that he wanted, IMO. Kind of screwed JPJ, but oh well....

After the concert I was hopeful, but it may have been a letdown. Robert Plant is probably right.

StoopTroup
10/12/2012, 10:40 AM
I agree that the Plant Page Tour just wasn't the same. I think bringing in Jason after they lost John was the only way to come close to being able to reproduce the original Zeppelin.

Jason seemed to fit right in.

That must have been hard for Jason at first. It's amazing how he can play like his Dad. I would think his Father is really proud of him.

hellogoodbye
10/12/2012, 11:05 AM
Them agreeing that it had to be Jason was a good thing. Looking forward to this dvd.

From the press conference, it does sound like they touched it up a little. Page seems to be an obsessed perfectionist when it comes to Zep products.

There definitely was feedback issues in the first few songs of the set. Musically, the only real screw up was the last part of D&C. I wonder how that could be "fixed"....

TenkillerSooner
10/17/2012, 09:02 PM

I was there that night myself. I remember that the first thing he said was "it's good to be back at the historic Cain's Ball Room".
I had a great time.

Damn it doesn't feel like it's been nearly eight years ago...

StoopTroup
10/17/2012, 09:22 PM
Saw the Foo Fighters at the Cains in the month of July in 1997. No A/C. Best Cains show I've ever been to. I really wanted to see Plant but was working. I sold the tickets.