PDA

View Full Version : ATLAS SHRUGGED the movie is coming friday

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/9/2012, 02:00 PM
Just heard the first ad on it that I have heard. Starts friday at the theaters. I don't know how true it is to the book, or how well done the movie is, but it's just in time for lots of folks to see it before the erection.

Wishboned
10/9/2012, 02:06 PM
This is the second film in what is planned as a trilogy. So if you plan on going and you haven't seen the first part then it's available on DVD.

10/9/2012, 02:44 PM
This is the second film in what is planned as a trilogy. So if you plan on going and you haven't seen the first part then it's available on DVD.Some time ago I heard that there was going to be a movie Atlas Shrugged. Now is the first time I heard it actually promoted. The ad I just heard didn't mention trilogy, or anything like that.(I'm not disagreeing with you. Just telling what I heard) Please elaborate on the first one if you saw it.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/9/2012, 02:47 PM
This is the second film in what is planned as a trilogy. So if you plan on going and you haven't seen the first part then it's available on DVD.

What was the first movie?

SicEmBaylor
10/9/2012, 02:49 PM
Some time ago I heard that there was going to be a movie Atlas Shrugged. Now is the first time I heard it actually promoted. The ad I just heard didn't mention trilogy, or anything like that.(I'm not disagreeing with you. Just telling what I heard) Please elaborate on the first one if you saw it.
The first part has been out for some time. This must be the second part. The first part didn't do the book justice, sadly.

Rush, I got a question for you...what do you suppose John Galt would say about voting for the lesser of two evils?

10/9/2012, 03:05 PM
The first part has been out for some time. This must be the second part. The first part didn't do the book justice, sadly.

Rush, I got a question for you...what do you suppose John Galt would say about voting for the lesser of two evils?Don't know in this case, since I expect Romney to be VASTLY superior at running the country compared to Obumblephukc. Due to reasonably good expectations, and undeliably better than any D expectations, I would think most reasonable people would vote for Romney.

Pls. tell us about the first AS movie, anyone.

Wishboned
10/9/2012, 03:10 PM
What was the first movie?

It was just titled Atlas Shrugged Part 1. It came out in April of 2011.

I'm pretty sure the reviews were split among political ideologies.

OUinFLA
10/9/2012, 06:59 PM
Part I is available on Netflix
I watched it on Roku last summer.
Enjoyed it. Heard part II would be out before November.
There are supposed to be 3 parts.

Ive also read the book and disagree with Sic. I think it follows the book as well as any movie is able to.
Especially a book as monumentally wordy as this one is.

diverdog
10/9/2012, 07:47 PM
It was just titled Atlas Shrugged Part 1. It came out in April of 2011.

I'm pretty sure the reviews were split among political ideologies.

And it got horrible ratings across the board. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a one star.

Sooner5030
10/9/2012, 07:53 PM
I lean pub (just hate dems more) and I thought part 1 sucked donkey balls. I liked the book. There was no reason to try and change the story to a current/future setting. They should have stuck to the time setting in the book. The actors sucked too. Basically, someone had to make an effort to f-up such a good book. It's like cooking mexican food....only idiots can screw it up.

diverdog
10/9/2012, 07:56 PM
I lean pub (just hate dems more) and I thought part 1 sucked donkey balls. I liked the book. There was no reason to try and change the story to a current/future setting. They should have stuck to the time setting in the book. The actors sucked too. Basically, someone had to make an effort to f-up such a good book. It's like cooking mexican food....only idiots can screw it up.

Agreed.

10/9/2012, 10:35 PM
I lean pub (just hate dems more) and I thought part 1 sucked donkey balls. I liked the book. There was no reason to try and change the story to a current/future setting. They should have stuck to the time setting in the book. The actors sucked too. Basically, someone had to make an effort to f-up such a good book. It's like cooking mexican food....only idiots can screw it up.Sorry to hear that. I wonder why /how it got messed up so badly? This doesn't shock, since I never heard or read ANYONE talk about the part 1 movie. I would hope that the part 2 movie that is in theaters friday has some background about part 1 before they proceed with the story.

hawaii 5-0
10/10/2012, 01:44 AM
Atlas Shrugged should be required reading for all Repubs, according to Paul Ryan.

At least before he was tapped for VP.

He worshipped Ayn Rand.

5-0

LiveLaughLove
10/10/2012, 04:13 AM
Atlas Shrugged should be required reading for all Repubs, according to Paul Ryan.

At least before he was tapped for VP.

He worshipped Ayn Rand.

5-0
I would say that's better than reading and worshipping Saul Alinsky.

OUinFLA
10/10/2012, 08:03 AM
For all your film critics,

Here's some background from what I have read.

The guy who produced this movie couldn't get any financial backing (perhaps due to the underlying theme of the book?) so he pretty much financed it himself.
Thus, no big name stars, no fancy graphics, no money for TV advertising.
No big draw to today's generation from a 50 year old book set in the 1950's, although without advertising, you didn't know it was updated to the 21st century.

Consequenty, the acting, editing, directing, filming is not going to be "Oscar" quality. On the other hand, Hollywood is not going to give a film with this underlying theme a chance of that kind of notariety. IMO it would have been a great "Made for TV" movie. However, none of Mainstream TV would have dared to air it. It doesn't fit their agenda.

The film made it to the theaters without much fanfare, and from what I read, was only there from 3 days to a week at the most. Most people seemed to discover it when it was picked up by Netflix last year. That's where I watched it.

Granted the movie is not a top quality movie. It's not Harry Potter, It's not Taken, It's not Gone with the Wind. It is a very condensed version of a 50 year of book that was originally titled "On Strike". In 1950's, imagine a world, where labor demanded so much that owners could not make a profit and just....................went on strike.

Now, put that into a 1000+ page book in Ayn Rand's writting style and decide if you can struggle through the book ( took me 6 weeks and I usually read a book a week), then decide if you can sit through a grade B movie with no top name actors and still get the same sense of what she was trying to project 50+ years ago.

Try looking at the movie for what it is trying to say rather than how it is produced. The man producing it still has no big dollar help. Doing it on his own, doubt he's making any money. Managed to get Part II out before November.

You can watch Part I on Netflix. If you haven't got Netflix, you can get it for $8 and watch it on your computer. Watch Part II this weekend at the theater. It may not be there long.

Or buy the book. Tough to read. Facinating to say the least.

10/10/2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks, OUinFLA.

StoopTroup
10/10/2012, 01:48 PM
I'm waiting for my share of 9 Million from Netflix. I might sign up again after I'm paid. ;)

My Dad says he has a 1st Edition of some of her books. He's an old dude. If I can find this one....I think I'll slot it in my to read file. Sounds like the movie is rental worthy.

diverdog
10/10/2012, 07:40 PM
For all your film critics,

Here's some background from what I have read.

The guy who produced this movie couldn't get any financial backing (perhaps due to the underlying theme of the book?) so he pretty much financed it himself.
Thus, no big name stars, no fancy graphics, no money for TV advertising.
No big draw to today's generation from a 50 year old book set in the 1950's, although without advertising, you didn't know it was updated to the 21st century.

Consequenty, the acting, editing, directing, filming is not going to be "Oscar" quality. On the other hand, Hollywood is not going to give a film with this underlying theme a chance of that kind of notariety. IMO it would have been a great "Made for TV" movie. However, none of Mainstream TV would have dared to air it. It doesn't fit their agenda.

The film made it to the theaters without much fanfare, and from what I read, was only there from 3 days to a week at the most. Most people seemed to discover it when it was picked up by Netflix last year. That's where I watched it.

Granted the movie is not a top quality movie. It's not Harry Potter, It's not Taken, It's not Gone with the Wind. It is a very condensed version of a 50 year of book that was originally titled "On Strike". In 1950's, imagine a world, where labor demanded so much that owners could not make a profit and just....................went on strike.

Now, put that into a 1000+ page book in Ayn Rand's writting style and decide if you can struggle through the book ( took me 6 weeks and I usually read a book a week), then decide if you can sit through a grade B movie with no top name actors and still get the same sense of what she was trying to project 50+ years ago.

Try looking at the movie for what it is trying to say rather than how it is produced. The man producing it still has no big dollar help. Doing it on his own, doubt he's making any money. Managed to get Part II out before November.

You can watch Part I on Netflix. If you haven't got Netflix, you can get it for $8 and watch it on your computer. Watch Part II this weekend at the theater. It may not be there long.

Or buy the book. Tough to read. Facinating to say the least.

Not buying it. You got billionaire tea baggers who would have funded the movie. My guess is the man who did this movie was out of his league and ruined it.

OUinFLA
10/10/2012, 08:09 PM
you don't have to buy it, just rent it
or get the book at a used book store, I saw one for six bucks there. With over 7 million copies sold, Im sure you can find one.
It's still a tough read.

besides, I didnt claim to be a friend of the producer, just repeating some of what I read about the film and expressing my opinion. I really don't care if you watch it.

Sooner5030
10/10/2012, 08:11 PM
while I really enjoyed the book I hope they find a way to compact John Galt's speech for the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=U1muMkbMypA

Sooner5030
10/10/2012, 08:21 PM
Also, some may find this video interesting....only 27 minutes compared to the +3 hour galt speech. I'm not sure if it's because she is the first person to write from a contrarian viewpoint and do so very cleverly....but I've always been interested in her writings. I'm also amazed that she had the courage to make some of the statements she did about religion. Not a recipe for success in those times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1ooKsv_SX4Y

OUinFLA
10/10/2012, 08:21 PM
while I really enjoyed the book I hope they find a way to compact John Galt's speech for the movie.

I was reading some info on the book and they estimate that speech would take 3 hours to give. I found myself skimming a lot of it when I read it.

diverdog
10/10/2012, 08:27 PM
Also, some may find this video interesting....only 27 minutes compared to the +3 hour galt speech. I'm not sure if it's because she is the first person to write from a contrarian viewpoint and do so very cleverly....but I've always been interested in her writings. I'm also amazed that she had the courage to make some of the statements she did about religion. Not a recipe for success in those times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1ooKsv_SX4Y

Wow she is one arrogant bit**.

Sooner5030
10/10/2012, 08:52 PM
I was reading some info on the book and they estimate that speech would take 3 hours to give. I found myself skimming a lot of it when I read it.

I have a full time job so I only read about 30 minutes before going to sleep.....admittedly it took me more than one night just to get through the speech.

10/10/2012, 08:56 PM
Hannity on his tv show on FOXNEWS is about to have some sort of review of the film right now, after commercials end.

diverdog
10/10/2012, 09:01 PM
Hannity on his tv show on FOXNEWS is about to have some sort of review of the film right now, after commercials end.

Oh this is going to be good.

10/11/2012, 01:24 AM
Oh this is going to be good.Well, what did you think of the preview?...you DID watch it didn't you? haha You guys CAN watch it, since it's a night program now.

hawaii 5-0
10/11/2012, 02:20 AM
I don't understand why Paul Ryan passed out copies of Atlas Shrugged to his office staff at Christmas encouraging them to read her.

One staffer said Ryan bought handfulls of the book.

Could someone explain his fascination with Rand. Supposedly it goes back to when he was in high school.

5-0

Turd_Ferguson
10/11/2012, 02:54 AM
Wow she is one arrogant bit**.

Funny you would say that, since you've always come across as one arrogant di**.

diverdog
10/11/2012, 04:30 AM
Well, what did you think of the preview?...you DID watch it didn't you? haha You guys CAN watch it, since it's a night program now.

Actually the preview did not look so bad this go round.

You guys do know this is a work of fiction....right?

diverdog
10/11/2012, 04:36 AM
Funny you would say that, since you've always come across as one arrogant di**.

Thanks I'll take it under advisement.

SicEmBaylor
10/11/2012, 05:25 AM
You guys do know this is a work of fiction....right?

I adore and love Atlas Shrugged. I'm not an objectivist though -- just can't go all in with Ayn Rand. However, I find it amusing when I hear people gush over Atlas Shrugged and then support a guy like Romney who, fundamentally, subscribes to the same belief in a state-directed economy that Obama does. The difference between Romney and Obama is on the policy detail level not on the philosophical level.

Ayn Rand would be as horrified by Romney as she would be Obama. Who is John Galt? It sure as hell isn't Romney.

OUinFLA
10/11/2012, 05:30 AM
"1984" is also a work of fiction.
But, it did bring about the concept of "Big Brother is watching" which many believe is happening today.
Or, perhaps, just listening and tapeing so far.

OUinFLA
10/11/2012, 05:36 AM
Who is John Galt? It sure as hell isn't Romney.

I have to agree with Baylor Boy on this one.

btw, I don't gush, if you mistakenly thought I was, then I appoligize for that misconception. I enjoyed the movie for what it was, not for it's cinematic acheviement (or lack of).

Im too old to gush.

SicEmBaylor
10/11/2012, 05:48 AM
I have to agree with Baylor Boy on this one.

btw, I don't gush, if you mistakenly thought I was, then I appoligize for that misconception. I enjoyed the movie for what it was, not for it's cinematic acheviement (or lack of).

Im too old to gush.
Nah, wasn't referring to you. Gush or not all you want. :D

The thing is, I might not completely agree with all of Ayn Rand's objectivism but in almost every case I'd rather people err on her side of thinking as opposed to the alternative.

diverdog
10/11/2012, 09:06 AM
"1984" is also a work of fiction.
But, it did bring about the concept of "Big Brother is watching" which many believe is happening today.
Or, perhaps, just listening and tapeing so far.

I do not think there was ever a time big brother wasn't watching us. You can go all the way back to the Salem Witch Trials.

OUinFLA
10/11/2012, 09:38 AM
I do not think there was ever a time big brother wasn't watching us. You can go all the way back to the Salem Witch Trials.
which is why we should probably be having this conversation here

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcTsho1ESxjHl5BPS6MD1EjV9RXGfc7 qE8Y8CsMpc5nZH8R8dw

diverdog
10/11/2012, 10:01 AM
I adore and love Atlas Shrugged. I'm not an objectivist though -- just can't go all in with Ayn Rand. However, I find it amusing when I hear people gush over Atlas Shrugged and then support a guy like Romney who, fundamentally, subscribes to the same belief in a state-directed economy that Obama does. The difference between Romney and Obama is on the policy detail level not on the philosophical level.

Ayn Rand would be as horrified by Romney as she would be Obama. Who is John Galt? It sure as hell isn't Romney.

I read your comment to me and I am sorry you did not like it. Rand was not a nice person. She was arrogant, an adultress, and felt she had a god like quality. I watched the interview with her and it stunned me. Her social skills are minimal and she was not a bit engaging. That is not to say that she is not smart or a capable writer. I would describe Hemming much the same way and I love EH.

I make no bones about it that I do not care for her philosophy. You could never run a military based on her ideas. Being a soldier is the ultimate in giving yourself to the greater good. I view Objectivist movement to be a cult.

Midtowner
10/11/2012, 10:52 AM
You could never run a military based on her ideas. Being a soldier is the ultimate in giving yourself to the greater good. I view Objectivist movement to be a cult.

Oh you certainly could. If the military is the soldiers' means to achieving happiness in that either a) they enjoy killing people and breaking things; or b) they don't have a viable path to the same sort financial security a military retirement provides or whatever other reason. I think you'd be right about 40-50 years ago when we had pretty high casualty figures as compared to today, but these days, being a soldier probably is about as dangerous as being a lumberjack or deep sea fisherman. Objectivism merely rejects the notion that man is motivated for philanthropic unselfish reasons.

diverdog
10/11/2012, 11:31 AM
Oh you certainly could. If the military is the soldiers' means to achieving happiness in that either a) they enjoy killing people and breaking things; or b) they don't have a viable path to the same sort financial security a military retirement provides or whatever other reason. I think you'd be right about 40-50 years ago when we had pretty high casualty figures as compared to today, but these days, being a soldier probably is about as dangerous as being a lumberjack or deep sea fisherman. Objectivism merely rejects the notion that man is motivated for philanthropic unselfish reasons.

Mid:

I disagree. In combat units there is no room for individualism. It is always about the man next to you.

Rand does not understand that the freedom she had was due to the many selfless acts that have made our nation great. I have always believed in duty, god, country and family. None of that fits her philosophy.

PLAYBOY: According to your philosophy, work and achievement are the highest goals of life. Do you regard as immoral those who find greater fulfillment in the warmth of friendship and family ties?

RAND: If they place such things as friendship and family ties above their own productive work, yes, then they are immoral. Friendship, family life and human relationships are not primary in a man's life. A man who places others first, above his own creative work, is an emotional parasite; whereas, if he places his work first, there is no conflict between his work and his enjoyment of human relationships.

Wishboned
10/11/2012, 12:31 PM
I read your comment to me and I am sorry you did not like it. Rand was not a nice person. She was arrogant, an adultress, and felt she had a god like quality. I watched the interview with her and it stunned me. Her social skills are minimal and she was not a bit engaging. That is not to say that she is not smart or a capable writer. I would describe Hemming much the same way and I love EH.

I make no bones about it that I do not care for her philosophy. You could never run a military based on her ideas. Being a soldier is the ultimate in giving yourself to the greater good. I view Objectivist movement to be a cult.

She found someone to have sex with her? More than one?

diverdog
10/11/2012, 12:37 PM
She found someone to have sex with her? More than one?

Nathaniel Branden

Probably others.

yermom
10/11/2012, 01:44 PM
maybe this will be a double feature with the Innocence of Islam or whatever it was called.

diverdog
10/11/2012, 04:50 PM
Gulp, I think I will try watching part one again and wait for part two to come out on video. The reviews are saying part two is much better but does stray from Ayn Rands teachings. They said she would not like it.

LiveLaughLove
10/11/2012, 05:24 PM
Nathaniel Branden

Probably others.

Branden had some interesting insights on her. I know more about her through him than I know about her book.

10/11/2012, 10:07 PM

Ayn Rand would be as horrified by Romney as she would be Obama. Who is John Galt? It sure as hell isn't Romney.Nobody the Republicans have is anywhere near as bad as Obama, nor anyone who has run for president on the democrat ticket since JFK. Deep down, you have to know that. But you will persist in claiming I'm wrong, and that republicans are authoritarian statists a la the democreats, when they clearly are not. We can sit here and condemn each other all we want. you will vote for X 3rd party candidate and effectively give Obear a half vote, while I will vote to remove him from office. Nothing's changed there, I guess.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/12/2012, 05:26 PM
OK Cowgirls and ladies,

The reviews of this fine film are beginning to roll in....

New York Post
Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
Oct 11, 201225 Even if you overlooked the production values from a 1986 porno and special effects like something your nephew cooked up on his Mac, the movie's "Yay, money!" zingers are just a big bag of sad.

Washington Post
Reviewed by: Mark Jenkins
Oct 12, 201238 Everything about it screams mid-20th century. Rather than refresh the cast with new actors, the producers would have done better to just digitally reanimate Patricia Neal and Gary Cooper, the stars of the 1949 adaptation of Rand's "The Fountainhead."

The A.V. Club
Reviewed by: Scott Tobias
Oct 12, 20120 The specific problem with Part II is that a second act of huffery and puffery don't get it anywhere.

MegWhiteley Worse than the first movie.

Go see ARGO instead. It's getting very good reviews.

OUinFLA
10/12/2012, 05:44 PM
well that doesnt bode well with todays theater price structure

10/12/2012, 06:26 PM
OK Cowgirls and ladies,

The reviews of this fine film are beginning to roll in....

Go see ARGO instead. It's getting very good reviews.What's the story with Argo, and who's giving it good reviews. IOW, you're the first person one should look to for a critique of Atlas shrugged, I'm sure. haha

SanJoaquinSooner
10/12/2012, 09:57 PM
What's the story with Argo, and who's giving it good reviews. IOW, you're the first person one should look to for a critique of Atlas shrugged, I'm sure. haha

Metacritic:

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/argo/critic-reviews

And then compare to altus shrugged's metacritic:

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/atlas-shrugged-part-2/critic-reviews

OUinFLA
10/13/2012, 10:35 PM
We went tonight. It was better than part I. Still a low budget movie.
it helps to have read the book.
I suspect only the die-hards will anxiously await part III.
The rest will be ........... oh, yeah, I remember that show........wonder how it turns out.

I'm begining to see how some of the seeming lesser parts of the book are being cut from the movie, but as I am explaining to my wife about what is happening and what is going to happen, those lessor parts are not so insignificant.

10/14/2012, 12:19 AM
We went tonight. It was better than part I. Still a low budget movie.
it helps to have read the book.
I suspect only the die-hards will anxiously await part III.
The rest will be ........... oh, yeah, I remember that show........wonder how it turns out.

I'm begining to see how some of the seeming lesser parts of the book are being cut from the movie, but as I am explaining to my wife about what is happening and what is going to happen, those lessor parts are not so insignificant.Thanks again. Those who haven't yet seen the Dinesh D'Souza movie shiould see it(2016 is the name) It's instructive as to the motivations of our president.

hawaii 5-0
10/14/2012, 03:54 AM
Saw Argo today and liked it.

Much more detail than from the news story when it came out in the 70's.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
10/14/2012, 03:56 AM
Thanks again. Those who haven't yet seen the Dinesh D'Souza movie shiould see it(2016 is the name) It's instructive as to the motivations of our president.

According to D'Souza, that is.

I haven't heard anyone in the 'know' say it's accurate.

5-0

SoonerorLater
10/14/2012, 04:58 PM
I will just wait for this one on Netflix. Part I was disappointing, certainly from a production value standpoint. I appreciate some of the sentiment of the movie but Objectivism at the core is just selfishness and hedonism

jkjsooner
10/16/2012, 03:42 PM
Nathaniel Branden

Probably others.

Maybe even Greenspan.

jkjsooner
10/16/2012, 04:24 PM
I will just wait for this one on Netflix. Part I was disappointing, certainly from a production value standpoint. I appreciate some of the sentiment of the movie but Objectivism at the core is just selfishness and hedonism

To the point that things such as outright fraud (not to mention insider trading, etc.) should not be illegal. The idea is that if you are able to defraud someone then congrats for being smarter than them and power to you. Shame on you if you allow yourself to be defrauded.

The conservatives who have moved toward Ayn Rand are nothing short of dangerous zealots. They do not represent most Americans.

SicEmBaylor
10/16/2012, 05:01 PM
Ill watch it once a torrent is posted. /irony

FaninAma
10/16/2012, 05:06 PM
To the point that things such as outright fraud (not to mention insider trading, etc.) should not be illegal. The idea is that if you are able to defraud someone then congrats for being smarter than them and power to you. Shame on you if you allow yourself to be defrauded.

The conservatives who have moved toward Ayn Rand are nothing short of dangerous zealots. They do not represent most Americans.

So what do you think Ayn Rand's central themes were in her books? I never took her message to be one that supported the upperclass stealing from the middle and lower classes through manipulation of the government and its regulatory agencies. In fact, that seemed to be one of the things she felt was destroying the country.

StoopTroup
11/6/2012, 08:59 PM
Saw Argo today and liked it.

Much more detail than from the news story when it came out in the 70's.

5-0

Was looking at the Movie Schedules for tomorrow as I think I might go see either Argo,Atlas, Cloud Atlas or 7 Psychopaths. I am a huge Christopher Walken Fan and Rockwell and Farrell make it even more of a movie I'd like to see before DVD release.

Sometimes certain Movies are just better on the big screen.

I bought The Book of Eli DVD even though I saw it at the theater. Also I forgot about Flight. Even though most movies about Planes are always unrealistic to me...I think Denzel and Cheadle are a good pair on screen together too.