PDA

View Full Version : Red River Rivalry

Boomer!!
10/9/2012, 12:21 PM
This will be my first year attending the game. Give me some pointers please on travel, do's and dont's, gameday, etc.... Thanks

badger
10/9/2012, 12:29 PM
1- Don't make your vehicle too obvious that it's driven by an OU fan. If we win by too much, UT fans might take their football frustration out on your car.

2- Don't leave too late. The game is at 11, traffic in the area will be hell. Take off mega-early.

3- Don't scalp. It's illegal down there.

4- Texas State Fair food uses that d@mn ticket system. Don't over-buy. If you do, give your spares to fellow OU fans. I've been the recipient of gift tickets in the past and have always appreciated it :)

5- Travel with other OU fans on fairgrounds, or at least don't travel alone. UT fans tend to be a lot less dickish when they have to take on more than one Sooner at once. Even if you don't know who the other OU fans are, pretend like you're buddies with them. This is true whether you are a guy or a girl. I've seen Red River catfights break out after games. Arguing over who is the slut. No joke

That's about all I have. Enjoy the hell out of it, win or lose. It is OK to traverse the fair in Sooner gear post-loss, but like I said, travel (or pretend to) in groups.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/9/2012, 12:36 PM
This will be my first year attending the game. Give me some pointers please on travel, do's and dont's, gameday, etc.... Thanks

http://img2-2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080425/office-space-12_l.jpg

Watch out fer yer cornhole, bud.

MamaMia
10/9/2012, 12:50 PM
Allow for traffic jams. You need to be parked and ready to roll before 9:00.

Come in facing the main gate and the fair parking lot because the police direct that lane of traffic through, and everyone on the side streets running adjacent to the fairgrounds get stuck waiting.

Park in the fair parking lot. Valet is inexpensive and worth the small price.

Even if you aren't particularly fond of corn dogs, you have to have a Fletcher's.

Drop by the Food Court before the game. Its a hoot. :D

When they yell "Texas", you say "Sucks" loud enough to drown out the word "Fight."

Don't buy a t-shirt until after we win.

This year we are the home team, so the money for a program goes to OU.

Get there early because its fun to greet the bus.

Get to your seat in plenty of time because you don't want to miss anything, like the fight some horn player started just because one of our guys was instructed not to make eye contact. The horn crossed the 50 during warm ups wanting to shake some OU players hand. When the Sooner didn't, the horn pushed him and a fight broke out. After that lots of policemen had to stand on the 50 to keep the horns on their side.

Another year before the game started, one of our Ruff Neks accidentally shot a hole in the Texas Longhorn flag. That was funny. :D (We did offer to pay for he flag)
Humperdinks is owned by a Sooner. Its on N.W.Expressway and lots of fun after the game.

Jacie
10/9/2012, 01:03 PM
If you ride the bumper cars, make sure there are several people in OU gear and while standing in line, make plans to gang up on anyone in burnt orange.

My favorite fair food is Helmut's Apple Strudel.

Favorite things to do at the fair include taking in the pig races and for 75 cents, playing tic-tac-toe with a chicken . . .

LiveLaughLove
10/9/2012, 01:09 PM
Go to Commerce Street Friday night and kick some horn butt!

Oh, wait, they dumbed it down didn't they?

Carry on.

DrZaius
10/9/2012, 01:27 PM
Here is a cool video from years back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIh9xrggqqQ

DrZaius
10/9/2012, 01:29 PM
I sure would like to see that re-mastered in HD. It would even be better.

EatLeadCommie
10/9/2012, 01:44 PM
Humperdinks is owned by a Sooner. Its on N.W.Expressway and lots of fun after the game.

Northwest HIGHWAY...it's Dallas, not OKC, Mama. :)

Wishboned
10/9/2012, 01:59 PM
When they yell "Texas", you say "Sucks" loud enough to drown out the word "Fight."

I'm taking my grandson. My daughter hates for him to use the word "sucks" but I have been given special dispensation for him to use that word just for this occasion.

I'm so excited. It's my first OU>Texas game, and his first OU game period. He really has no idea what he's in for. I'm can't wait to see his eyes when he sees the Cotton Bowl for the first time.

revelladee
10/9/2012, 02:41 PM
It's our first time too.....our son is a senior in the Pride....my sil and daughter bought our tickets and are avid Texas fans...so our foursome will be half and half...but dang, our car is bright crimson with OU stuff all over it....and it's new....should I really take another vehicle???

MamaMia
10/9/2012, 03:29 PM
Northwest HIGHWAY...it's Dallas, not OKC, Mama. :)

Thats right; its N.W. HIGHWAY. :D
Sorry.

It's our first time too.....our son is a senior in the Pride....my sil and daughter bought our tickets and are avid Texas fans...so our foursome will be half and half...but dang, our car is bright crimson with OU stuff all over it....and it's new....should I really take another vehicle???Park valet in the fairgrounds parking lot. Thats the only place your OU Mobile will be safe. The horns WILL trash OU cars at random. In all the years I have been to that game, and there have been gazillions, I have NEVER seen a TU car that was vandalized. Not once.

hawaii 5-0
10/9/2012, 03:37 PM
[QUOTE=badger;3525803]

4- Texas State Fair food uses that d@mn ticket system. Don't over-buy. If you do, give your spares to fellow OU fans. I've been the recipient of gift tickets in the past and have always appreciated it :)
QUOTE]

Maybe it was me. I've given away extra coupons. More than once. I was the one wearing Red.

5-0

pweitkem
10/9/2012, 03:42 PM
Get out of the fairground area well before dark. There's a reason the game is in the morning. Because the stadium is in the middle of the hood.

MamaMia
10/9/2012, 03:50 PM
I've always given my spare tickets to my children to give away, telling them to look for single mothers who are there with small children.

If it gets hot, the car show is a cool air conditioned place to cool off, plus they have large bathrooms.

revelladee
10/9/2012, 04:16 PM
Thats right; its N.W. HIGHWAY. :D
Sorry.

Park valet in the fairgrounds parking lot. Thats the only place your OU Mobile will be safe. The horns WILL trash OU cars at random. In all the years I have been to that game, and there have been gazillions, I have NEVER seen a TU car that was vandalized. Not once.

How early should we get there for valet parking?

cjames317
10/9/2012, 04:21 PM
The people over at the Dodge trucks display give away red beads to the OU fans.

Soonerjeepman
10/9/2012, 04:23 PM
The people over at the Dodge trucks display give away red beads to the OU fans.

do ya have to show your goods? ;-) not that anyone wants to see MY goods...lol but ya get my drift...

SoonerLaw09
10/9/2012, 04:46 PM
I will echo a few things already said. Do go to the car show, it's always teh allsome. Looks like it might rain so some post-game indoor activity is just the thing. And unless you're a diabetic, deep fried snickers bar. Trust me on this. And yes they *do* go with beer.

And get teh hell outta dodge by 5pm. You do *not* want to have to get out of there after dark. I did a few of the 2:30 kickoff games back in the day, and made sure my tire iron was handy whilst leaving Fair Park. Jus' sayin.

picasso
10/9/2012, 04:58 PM
Get out of the fairground area well before dark. There's a reason the game is in the morning. Because the stadium is in the middle of the hood.
Yeah but it's not bad if you make sure to go straight to the interstate when you leave. I've done art exhibits at fair park when I had to leave in the late hours. Just be aware of your surroundings.

And, make sure if you encounter a horn fan to rip his nutsack.

SOONERnTx
10/10/2012, 03:57 PM
It's also my first RRS. Just got my ticket in the mail. I am pumped!!! I'm in sec 131. Anyone know how the view is up there? Thanks for all the other advice on this thread. I plan on being there really early!

MountainOkie
10/10/2012, 04:17 PM
If you don't have a killer appetite--pace yourself. There is good food all throughout the fair and you'll be kicking yourself if you fill up on the wrong thing and--whoops--now you tell me there are deep fried snickers, and oh If forgot about the Jimmy Dean Sausage tent, or the char-burgers, the corndogs or the turkeylegs...I could go on for a long while.

8timechamps
10/10/2012, 04:43 PM
It's also my first RRS. Just got my ticket in the mail. I am pumped!!! I'm in sec 131. Anyone know how the view is up there? Thanks for all the other advice on this thread. I plan on being there really early!

I've sat all over the Cotton Bowl, and have never had a bad seat. You'll be fine.

On a personal experience note, make sure you don't need to stop for gas anywhere near the fairgrounds. Especially if you're wearing your OU gear and OU just got beat.

MamaMia
10/10/2012, 04:53 PM
How early should we get there for valet parking?They open at 7:00 on game days when the game starts at 11:00. I would get there at least a little before 9:00. Its 30.00, only 15.00 more than regular parking. Its worth the extra 15.00 to know your car is safe and not to have to walk all that way or wait for the trolley. The valet booth is right by the gate. Be sure to tip the attendants who park and retrieve your car about 5 to 7 bucks each.

You can get there by going down Robert B Cullum Blvd. If you go down Haskell, you could get stuck trying to cut across to the parking entrance because there is usually a traffic jam on Fitzhugh. The police stop that Fitzhugh traffic to let the stream coming off Robert B. Cullum through.

MamaMia
10/10/2012, 05:03 PM
8timeschamps is correct in that you should gas up before arriving at the fairgrounds. There is only one gas station in that area and its in a bad neighborhood and usually swarming with people and have long lines of cars at the pump. Unfortunately ethanol is mandated by law in Dallas so personally I only get enough gas there to last until I'm back in Oklahoma, plus I would rather spend my gas money here at home. :)

colleyvillesooner
10/10/2012, 05:05 PM

gonna look like this just reversed. that stupid Texas will be rightfully upside down.

http://aviewfrommyseat.com/photo/1083/Cotton+Bowl/section-108/row-32/seat-21/

http://aviewfrommyseat.com/wallpaper/ProcheinAmy-20101002162134.jpg

revelladee
10/10/2012, 05:18 PM
Thank you so much for the tip...sure will do that since my new town and country is bright crimson!!

yukonsooner
10/10/2012, 05:19 PM
Be prepared to stand the entire game. Not a problem for me, but it was for my husband on the last trip. He had just had knee surgery and could only stand for short periods. Everyone was standing on the seats, which made it even more difficult for him. He couldn't see the big screen when he was sitting down, so he found group of saxat fans across the way he could see. If they went crazy he knew iit was a good play for them, if they threw their hands up and sat down he knew it was OU

StoopTroup
10/10/2012, 05:25 PM
Tire irons are so Brokeback Mountain. Take a ball bat.
Also the slut is always wearing burnt orange...no matter what.

Phil
10/10/2012, 05:27 PM
Do not go to the Fairgrounds on I-30 like all the other sheeple. Go I-45, get off at MLK, and it will take you straight to the Fairgrounds. Take a right at the T when the Fairgrounds are right in front of you, then take the first (I think it's the first) left and go down a ways, and you can turn left into Fair parking. Simple.

SOONERnTx
10/10/2012, 05:42 PM

gonna look like this just reversed. that stupid Texas will be rightfully upside down.

http://aviewfrommyseat.com/photo/1083/Cotton+Bowl/section-108/row-32/seat-21/

http://aviewfrommyseat.com/wallpaper/ProcheinAmy-20101002162134.jpg

Thanks man. That looks great!!! Is it Saturday yet???

Jacie
10/10/2012, 06:06 PM
I've sat all over the Cotton Bowl, and have never had a bad seat.

Apparently, you never sat up under the overhang with a pole between you and the field . . .

Jeopardude
10/10/2012, 06:09 PM
Apparently, you never sat up under the overhang with a pole between you and the field . . .

Was it Lech Walesa?

StoopTroup
10/10/2012, 06:15 PM
You are right but how do so many folks get to experience those seats? I've been lucky enough to find other seats when I got them a couple of times. It's bizzare as to how many folks I've talked with that have gotten those seats.

Phil
10/10/2012, 06:38 PM
You are right but how do so many folks get to experience those seats? I've been lucky enough to find other seats when I got them a couple of times. It's bizzare as to how many folks I've talked with that have gotten those seats.

I've had those seats, too. Blocked off a full 10 yards of the field.

OU_Sooners75
10/10/2012, 06:44 PM
Leave your hotel about 430 AM to get to the fairgrounds is driving.

Trust me, the traffic is hell!

/sarcasm

MamaMia
10/10/2012, 07:14 PM
I hope its clear skies because when its raining, the traffic is slower. I've learned through the years that if its rainy, everything moves at a slower pace.

Howzit
10/10/2012, 07:50 PM
Do not look Mack in the eye. He will take it as a sign you wish to fornicate.

5noubus
10/10/2012, 09:37 PM
"4- Texas State Fair food uses that d@mn ticket system. Don't over-buy. If you do, give your spares to fellow OU fans. I've been the recipient of gift tickets in the past and have always appreciated it "

I learned last year that the tickets for food and games are good year to year. But who is really going to keep up with them that long?
If I remember right- they take tickets or money inside the stadium.

We tailgate on the fairgrounds in OUr RV and leave there at 9 am.earlier if its espn game day Really need to be early!( keep that in mind Friday night:)

AP_Hoss
10/10/2012, 10:08 PM
Random. But never knew the Red River Rivalry had 4 trophies tied to it- Golden Hat, a Governor's Cup, a trophy between the student bodies, and a trophy between the ROTC of each school

Taxman71
10/11/2012, 01:47 PM
If you need to meet up with anyone inside the fair, just tell them to meet you at BigTex. You will be the only one there.

MamaMia
10/11/2012, 02:41 PM
Somebody try to get a picture to share of the OU player planting the flag in the middle of the field. I love that part. :)

8timechamps
10/11/2012, 02:48 PM

True. I haven't sat there. In fact, I avoid "obstructed view" seats at all costs.

texas bandman
10/11/2012, 04:54 PM
To me it will always be the Red River Shootout. The Rivalry is part of the wussification of America.