PDA

View Full Version : Republicans on health care - they're right

landrun
10/8/2012, 08:14 PM
Paul Ryan, we don't need the government to take over health care to fix it.
He points out that the government would have to ration care (which members of the Obama administration have now openly confessed to in the NY Times)
He says the current system is unsustainable
Says Republican proposals insure the uninsured, cover pre-existing conditions
Says we can do all of it without government taking over the industry by attacking COSTS, the root cause.

And in the last debate, Obama openly confessed that prices are still going up in spite of the fact that they said Obamacare would cut cost. I think he said $2300 per family a year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz8fq23HwyY&feature=related

FaninAma
10/8/2012, 09:22 PM
Paul Ryan, we don't need the government to take over health care to fix it.
He points out that the government would have to ration care (which members of the Obama administration have now openly confessed to in the NY Times)
He says the current system is unsustainable
Says Republican proposals insure the uninsured, cover pre-existing conditions
Says we can do all of it without government taking over the industry by attacking COSTS, the root cause.

And in the last debate, Obama openly confessed that prices are still going up in spite of the fact that they said Obamacare would cut cost. I think he said $2300 per family a year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz8fq23HwyY&feature=related

The elephant in the room is the fact that there will have to either be price controls or limitations to benefits paid for by the government. There are no other ways to control costs.

The problem with Medicare was that it was created without any limits on benefits and as longevity goes up so do health costs. We should have a balanced budget amendment and all spending programs(including the military) should have a defined perecentage of the budget. It should take a a super majority of Congress to change the budget appropriations for a specific program even in times of national emergencies.

SCOUT
10/8/2012, 09:39 PM
The elephant in the room is the fact that there will have to either be price controls or limitations to benefits paid for by the government. There are no other ways to control costs.

The problem with Medicare was that it was created without any limits on benefits and as longevity goes up so do health costs. We should have a balanced budget amendment and all spending programs(including the military) should have a defined perecentage of the budget. It should take a a super majority of Congress to change the budget appropriations for a specific program even in times of national emergencies.
I am Scout and I support this message.

There is, of course, a problem. In order to balance a budget, there actually has to BE a budget.

BigTip
10/8/2012, 10:08 PM

Some serious tort reform would cure a lot of it.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/9/2012, 08:48 AM
Price reductions in materials/physical resources would HUGELY impact the cost of healthcare.

Thousands upon thousands of dollars are spent by the various aspects of the system just in simple things like tubing. And because these items are either on patent or specifically designed for the provision of healthcare, the costs are exorbitantly high. That cost in turn is obviously passed on to the end user. There is no reason why a vinyl non-rebreather mask which can be bought retail for $2.50 needs to be charted to a patient for 20 bucks or more. Just itemization of your healthcare bill alone would go MILES in revealing a lot of these ridiculous costs passed on to care recipients.

badger
10/9/2012, 09:52 AM
I wish that we had a health care solution, but have costs ever gone down when the government gets involved in anything?

Government: Let's give unending loans to college students!
Colleges: Let's unendingly raise our tuition way beyond inflation!

Government: Let's give unending funds for senior medical care!
Drug companies: Our costs just went up again. And they went up while we were uttering that sentence. And that one too. And that one. Just... give me more money now, please.

Soonerjeepman
10/9/2012, 10:21 AM
Gov - EVERYONE deserves a home...so open up the loans
banks - sure...oops, they can't pay for them...ugh~

badger
10/9/2012, 10:39 AM
Gov - EVERYONE deserves a home...so open up the loans
banks - sure...oops, they can't pay for them...ugh~

Everyone does deserve a "home," but just living quarters, not a McMansion.