PDA

View Full Version : Hunnicut

Widescreen
10/8/2012, 02:01 PM
I don't know about you but I'm really liking having a kicker that doesn't make you gasp every time the ball leaves his foot.

This kid is good.

badger
10/8/2012, 02:02 PM
He convinced you to stand on the rug so that he can pull it from out underneath you. :(

BoulderSooner79
10/8/2012, 02:18 PM
I don't know about you but I'm really liking having a kicker that doesn't make you gasp every time the ball leaves his foot.

This kid is good.

You have no sense of drama.

Boomer.....
10/8/2012, 02:29 PM
How about getting 3 points instead of going for it on 4th down unless we were inside the 15.

hawaii 5-0
10/8/2012, 02:34 PM
Bless Jimmy Stevens's heart. He didn't belong on the field.

His low, short line drives drove me crazy.

5-0

kevpks
10/8/2012, 02:43 PM
His low, short line drives drove me crazy.

5-0

You weren't the only one.

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/2963/stoopsface1e13163165724.jpg

Widescreen
10/8/2012, 02:52 PM
You have no sense of drama.

You got that right. I also like blowout wins better than 1 point wins. Drama should be restricted to TNT.

Breadburner
10/8/2012, 03:07 PM
Kicking it out of the End-Zone is nice too.....!!

OU_Sooners75
10/8/2012, 04:25 PM
Kicking it out of the End-Zone is nice too.....!!

You do realize Hunnicut doesn't handle kick off duties, right?

Patty O'Hara handles the kick off duties.

O'Hara has a very strong leg, just not accurate for FGs or PATs.

Wishboned
10/8/2012, 04:30 PM
I do feel better about when they line up to try a field goal from around the 36 and I'm not yelling at the television, "He's never going to make that!!! Just go for it!!!"

EatLeadCommie
10/8/2012, 04:34 PM
Amen to the OP. In defending JS, fans would point to his FG%, neglecting to acknowledge that so many of those were from 30 yards in and closer. If we were at 40 or thereabouts, we would rarely even attempt a FG with JS. As I have told numerous friends this season, it is nice to have a kicker than can boot it higher than his height.

BoulderSooner79
10/8/2012, 04:41 PM
I had no problem with Steven's - I figure he was a college kid doing his best. My complaint was why OU couldn't find someone better to beat him out (Hunnicutt actually did mid-season last year). What I found funny was all the fans out there that just couldn't take the uncertainty when we lined up to kick. Are you a bunch of sedentary wusses that think your hearts will stop if you get too excited? Man up! It's just a game.

VA Sooner
10/8/2012, 05:11 PM
I too am happy that I don't have to hold my breath every time we go for a field goal. It's like having Hartley back...

OU_Sooners75
10/8/2012, 05:13 PM
I had no problem with Steven's - I figure he was a college kid doing his best. My complaint was why OU couldn't find someone better to beat him out (Hunnicutt actually did mid-season last year). What I found funny was all the fans out there that just couldn't take the uncertainty when we lined up to kick. Are you a bunch of sedentary wusses that think your hearts will stop if you get too excited? Man up! It's just a game.

Stop being splenetic.

BoulderSooner79
10/8/2012, 06:28 PM
Stop being splenetic.

Splenetic? No way - I had a blast baiting the Stevens bashers for 4 years!!

;)

MamaMia
10/8/2012, 08:08 PM
You weren't the only one.

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/2963/stoopsface1e13163165724.jpg

I remember Stoops making lots of faces when Jimmy kicked. He would make these low low kicks that would barely make it over the crossbar.

MamaMia
10/8/2012, 08:10 PM
I had no problem with Steven's - I figure he was a college kid doing his best. My complaint was why OU couldn't find someone better to beat him out (Hunnicutt actually did mid-season last year). What I found funny was all the fans out there that just couldn't take the uncertainty when we lined up to kick. Are you a bunch of sedentary wusses that think your hearts will stop if you get too excited? Man up! It's just a game.Monopoly is just a game. Football is NOT just a game.

papawlambert
10/8/2012, 09:48 PM
Have known Hunnicut for a few years. He did football camps with my Grandson. My Grandson is a freshman at West Virginia. Hunnicut is a fine young man and you guys will really like him more and more.

hawaii 5-0
10/8/2012, 11:23 PM
I for one, am not ready to settle for complacency.

Jimmy was marginal at best and shoulda been on some JC team, not a Top 10 team like the Sooners.

I'm sure if Jimmy was the strong safety he woulda tried just as hard. And failed just as bad.

5-0

Seamus
10/8/2012, 11:52 PM
It's just a game.

Bolshevik nonsense.

BoulderSooner79
10/9/2012, 09:21 AM

Jimmy was marginal at best and shoulda been on some JC team, not a Top 10 team like the Sooners.

I'm sure if Jimmy was the strong safety he woulda tried just as hard. And failed just as bad.

5-0

And I'm still baiting you with Stevens after he graduated. You guys are too easy!!

:playful::playful:

(And you can't read)

hawaii 5-0
10/9/2012, 03:56 PM
I'm liking Frank Shannon more and more.

5-0

OU_Sooners75
10/9/2012, 04:04 PM

5-0

I think you're being to hard on the young man. He tried. That's all you can ask for for any player. He wasn't good, but he tried.

That said, I'm glad Hunnicut is our place kicker now. By the time he is finished at OU, he will be right up there with Hartley and the the other good kickers under Stoops.

OU_Sooners75
10/9/2012, 04:06 PM
I'm liking Frank Shannon more and more.

5-0

Can he play OL?

opksooner
10/9/2012, 08:05 PM
................Man up! It's just a game.

It's not just a game, it's a matter of life or death.

No.......wait.......it's more important than that.

BoulderSooner79
10/9/2012, 10:30 PM
It's not just a game, it's a matter of life or death.

No.......wait.......it's more important than that.

Even more reason to man up!

BTW, I really like Hunnicut as well.

prrriiide
10/10/2012, 07:04 AM
I don't know what it was about Jimmy that he never seemed to get it together, but you can't argue his stats.

- He is tied with Trey DiCarlo for 8th highest-scoring player ever at OU
- He is #2 all-time in extra points at OU
- He is #6 all-time in FGs at OU.

- His career stats are very close to Garrett Hartley's:
----GH: ExpM/ExpA/% = 169/176/96% ... FGA/FGM/% = 47/58/81%
----JS: ExpM/ExpA/% = 180/188/95.7% ... FGA/FGM/% = 42/52/80.8%

Statistically (percentage-wise), he was better on field goals than von Schmann, either of the Lashar brothers, Duncan, or Blanton, and Hartley beats him by a slim .2%.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/
(http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/)http://www.soonerstats.com/football/recordbook/player/scoring_career.cfm

QBs throw incompletions and interceptions.
RBs fumble.
WRs drop passes.
DL and LBs miss tackles.
DBs get burned.

Kickers miss. It's part of the game. Not one has ever been perfect his entire career. And every single one of them miss more from 40+ than they do from under 40. Have you all forgotten Hartley's Soph season now that he's in the NFL? 14/22 63.6% on FGs.

I cursed many a blue streak at JS when he missed, just like anyone else, but if you think that missed FGs and Exps are going to evaporate like a fart in the wind because we have a new kicker, you're just not being realistic. All of the past great OU kickers have had struggles at one point or another, and they've all missed extra points and long FGs when the eyes of the Sooner Nation were all watching. WHEN (not if - WHEN) Hunnicut hits a slump (because all kickers do), are you going to throw him under the bus after singing his praises in this thread?

One last thought - nobody ever says "DAMN THAT HOLDER!!! HE GOT THE LACES THE WRONG WAY!!" Or "WHY DIDN'T THE POS SNAPPER GET THE BALL BACK TO THE HOLDER ON TARGET??" A couple of inches right or left on the part of the deep snapper will make the holder will miss the placement or the timing, and then everyone is cussing the kicker, even though he was perfect. There are three components to a successful kick, and the kicker is only one of them.

Widescreen
10/10/2012, 09:56 AM
A better stat breakdown would be where the field goal attempts came from. I think JS would be overwhelmingly less than 30 yards because Stoops didn't trust him further away than that.

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2012, 10:21 AM
I don't know what it was about Jimmy that he never seemed to get it together, but you can't argue his stats.

Stevens stats were good because it's pretty easy to coach around a weak kicker - just don't try FGs outside his range. It's no different than coaching around any other weakness, it's just more obvious to the fans. If you have an OT that can't handle the DT across from him, you are forced to double team the DT. That kind of issue may cut your playbook in half and the fans may get all up in arms that the OC called a bad game or was too predictable. But they don't tend to blame the OT. OUr fans misdirected their displeasure with the place kicking game at JS instead of where it really belongs: a highly paid coaching staff at an elite program that failed to bring in a better kicker in over 3 season. Jimmy contributed what he could and the stats prove he was an asset within his capabilities. I'm sure coaches have much bigger worries in most games than having a 40 yard max FG limit vs. a 50 yarder.

But the main reason OUr fans were such JS bashers is that the kicks he did make were often ugly. Low or barely inside the upright and it made them nervous. And they are a bunch of whiny babies that can't take the uncertainty, wah wah wah.

Widescreen
10/10/2012, 11:50 AM
But the main reason OUr fans were such JS bashers is that the kicks he did make were often ugly. Low or barely inside the upright and it made them nervous. And they are a bunch of whiny babies that can't take the uncertainty, wah wah wah.
I guess Stoops is a whiny baby too because he seemed to have the same reaction as much of the fanbase.

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/files/2011/09/Stoopsface1-e1316316572452.jpg

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2012, 12:53 PM
I guess Stoops is a whiny baby too because he seemed to have the same reaction as much of the fanbase.

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/files/2011/09/Stoopsface1-e1316316572452.jpg

He hung in for over 3 years, unlike our fanbase. And JS was hurt with a groin pull when he finally got replaced. Doesn't change the point - JS did what he was capable of doing and it on the coaches to find someone better. Constantly ragging on the kid was just dooshbaggery.