PDA

View Full Version : Big games this weekend

IronHorseSooner
10/8/2012, 09:34 AM
Besides the RRR, here are some of the other big games that will impact the MNC and Big XII races:

Louisville @ Pitt
K State @ ISU
Syracuse @ Rutgers
WVU @ Tech
Stanford @ ND
Oregon St. @ BYU
USC @ U-Dub
South Cackilacky @ LSU
Tenn @ Miss St.

Along with our game, that makes ten key games this week. Pick any three for upsets and why? Here are mine:

1. ISU over K State. Every year ISU ruins the season of a highly ranked team. Last year it was OSU, this year it will be K State. I understand that ISU already has a good upset this year (TCU), but TCU might not end up being as good as advertised. ISU is essentially K-State Lite with a better (gasp) defense. They are built to beat K State, and are fundamentally sound. They had a few blown opportunities against Tech, or they would be undefeated. This game is at home, and they will be rockin1!:tears_of_joy:

2. BYU over Oregon St. BYU is very close to being undefeated. Their loss to Utah was flat out weird, and they pancaked Wazzu earlier this year. BYU seems to relish beating Pac-12 teams. BYU has a good defense, and even though the Beavers did beat Wisky up there, this will be their most difficult game. Look for this game to be low-scoring, but for BYU to pull out the game in the ball park of 14-7.:surprise:

3. LSU over South Cackilacky. Due to being in the SEC, a 1-loss team is never out of the MNC race. LSU at night is a recipe for a very hostile environment:drunk:. The Gamecocks looked like a MNC-level team against UGA last week; however, UGA had been tap dancing on a landmine for weeks, and looked even shakier than we did prior to last week. LSU is a much better defensive team, and are playing in the friendly confines. I really doubt LSU gets back-to-back losses; hence, I call for the Mad Hatter to pull this one out of his hat.

On a side note, I believe that USC v. U-Dub is a trap. U-Dub walked into a buzz saw last week, and their two losses are to the #2 and #8 ranked teams at their places. U-Dub has already beaten the team that beat the Trojans. Even though I am not calling it as one of my Big 3 Upsets, it would not shock me if the Huskies once again knock off USC up on Lake Washington. :applouse:

8timechamps
10/8/2012, 12:59 PM
Louisville @ Pitt - It's sad that this is considered a big game. The reality is that Louisville could go undefeated and not sniff the title game.
K State @ ISU - This will be interesting.
Syracuse @ Rutgers - The 'Cuse is better than I thought. Rutgers has yet to play a good team. This may be interesing.
WVU @ Tech - This one will be a good barometer for what kind of team OU is.
Stanford @ ND - The battle of the overrateds.
Oregon St. @ BYU - Quietly, Oregon State is this year's version of last year's Oklahoma State.
USC @ U-Dub - Washington wins this one.
South Cackilacky @ LSU - Wouldn't it be funny if USC gets all the hype this week, then loses to LSU? I'd just as soon see LSU lose though.
Tenn @ Miss St. - Offensively, Tennessee has the firepower, unfortunately they also have Baylor's defense.

My upsets are:

1. Syracuse over Rutgers: Rutgers has a good team, but Syracuse has played a tougher schedule (and competed in every game). The clock strikes midnight for the Scarlet Knights and they drop one to the Orange. SU has a solid defense, but a better running game. Rutgers will wear down in the 4th quarter and SU scores a late TD. SU 24 RU 21

2. Oregon State over BYU: BYU is Jeckyll and Hyde. Unfortunately, Oregon State is too consistent and BYU can't recover from early mistakes. Oregon State's defense stiffles the mormons. Oregon State 17 BYU 10

3. Washington over USC: UW comes into this one looking to get some respect back after getting clown stomped by Oregon. USCs offensive line is bad, and UW takes advantage by blitzing early and often. Steve Sarkasian is a better coach than Kiffen, and he figures out a way to beat the Trojans. It's going to be loud and hostile in Seattle for this one, and UW pulls of the upset: UW 24 USC 23

IronHorseSooner
10/8/2012, 06:28 PM
I am also an SU grad, and I do agree that they have played a better schedule than Rutgers, even though SUNJ beat an awful Arky team. SU should have beaten both Northwestern and USC.

BYU and Oregon State could go either way. If BYU had a decent kicker, they wold have beaten Utah, and would be a 1-loss team and ranked.

After my run today, I believe that U-Dub over USC should be a lock. They did it before, and U-Dub will do it again. This still will not change my future pick that USC will beat Oregon.

I don't know if Louisville will go undefeated, but if they do, there will be a ruckus coming from them to join the Big 12, probably along with Cincy if they get 10+ wins this year. Right now, the Big East will be treated like the MWC, and it would take the champs of the other 5 BCS conferences having 2 losses for them to get a title shot. That all being said, Louisville should throttle Pitt.

I will stand by my pick of ISU winning Farmageddon. They are equal to KSU at every position, except QB, but they are at home, and they would jump into the thick of the conference race with a win here. Paul Rhoads is the 3rd best coach in the conference behind Snyder and Stoops.

Tech will be really bummed after our loss, but WVU could be looking ahead to the K State game. WVU should win, but we shouldn't read much into the margin of victory.

ND should beat Stanford by 2+ TDs. It's at Touchdown Jesus, and ND has momentum. Stanford has been bumbling and stumbling since beating USC.

Cocky should crush LSU, and after second thoughts, I think that they will win. They look like a different team since that Vandy game.

Miss State is solid and well-coached. Tenn has came close against UGA and FLA. I do think that Tenn could pull it off, as they probably have better overall talent than Mullen's Bunch. I think that this will be another shootout, and I honestly have no idea who will win.

On a side note, whether USC wins or not, and no matter who wins the Cocky v LSU game, we should be #8 this week. After WVU crushes K State on the following week, as well as FLA beating Cocky in The Swamp, we will be #6 by the time we play ND. This is why I predict that we will be back in the top 5 by the end of the month with WVU still on the schedule, and with one of the SEC teams ahead of us having to lose. It all comes down to Oregon, folks, and we won't know anything until the second half of their schedule when they play @ASU, @USC, Stanford, @Oregon St., and the Pac 12 Title Game. If they can get through that, then they deserve to be in the MNC Title Game. I don't think that they will, as that offense is WAY too gimmicky, and with a new QB, they will falter somewhere.

This is about to get REAL interesting!

Flagstaffsooner
10/8/2012, 06:46 PM
Farmageddon, LMAO.

IronHorseSooner
10/9/2012, 06:53 AM
Farmageddon, LMAO.

Yep, that is exactly what it is called! With Mizzou and Nebraska gone, this has now become ISU's biggest game. They are going to throw the kitchen sink in this game.

Breadburner
10/9/2012, 07:20 AM
Only 1 big game this weekend.....

Bourbon St Sooner
10/9/2012, 08:32 AM
The cocks are gonna slap down lsu. lsu's offense is horrible and they don't have the honey badger to bail out their offense this year. They are basically the same team they were last year, but every time they got in trouble last year their defense or special teams stepped up and bailed them out, except of course the 2nd bammer game.