PDA

View Full Version : Tech was outcoahed

8timechamps
10/7/2012, 07:28 PM
I know that's usually the case with any win, but yesterday it really showed up.

I'm speaking more to how Mike worked the defense. When Tech answered back in the first quarter, I thought we were in for a shoot out. Turns out Mike knew exactly what he was doing. I noticed that we were playing everything underneath between the 20's. Even the one long reception in the first quarter, that led to the TD, was on a perfect pass/route. I don't think we gave up another long ball the rest of the day.

Once Tech got in scoring range, it seemed like Mike tightened things up and Tech had to settle for FGs. After the half time adjustments, Tech did nothing until garbage time.

I'll also continue to think Stoops (both Bob & Mike) are among the best, if not THE best, in the country at making half-time adjustments.

yermom
10/7/2012, 07:38 PM
that was how we always beat Tech in the past. it was all about the FGs and turnovers

picasso
10/7/2012, 09:04 PM
I stated in another thread that on the radio broadcast Merv said we would make the needed adjustments after Tech scored the second time.
Usually he's a doom and gloom old coach but what he said made me feel good about the game.

goingoneight
10/7/2012, 10:38 PM
The gameplan for them was the same thing we have against all the shotgun spread teams. It's about assignments and keeping everything in front of you and we tighten things up if they get into the redzone. It's different looking when it actually works.

ashley
10/8/2012, 06:58 AM
We have better players than TT.

MamaMia
10/8/2012, 07:30 AM
I know that's usually the case with any win, but yesterday it really showed up.

I'm speaking more to how Mike worked the defense. When Tech answered back in the first quarter, I thought we were in for a shoot out. Turns out Mike knew exactly what he was doing. I noticed that we were playing everything underneath between the 20's. Even the one long reception in the first quarter, that led to the TD, was on a perfect pass/route. I don't think we gave up another long ball the rest of the day.

Once Tech got in scoring range, it seemed like Mike tightened things up and Tech had to settle for FGs. After the half time adjustments, Tech did nothing until garbage time.

I'll also continue to think Stoops (both Bob & Mike) are among the best, if not THE best, in the country at making half-time adjustments.

Mike was pulling out LBs for DBs and blitzing. It worked. That, and taking advantage of the turnovers gave us a lot of momentum and took the wind out of their sails.

Sooner91ATL
10/8/2012, 07:57 AM
It's trademark M stoops defense circa 2000-2004. Give up the dink and dunk and allow some yardage, then clamp down when the field shortens. Make other team settle for FG. Get a couple of TO and maybe even one defensive score per game on the big play. In most of the big games of that era, this is how we won. Except for the total defensive stonewalling we gave texas during those years. he he. No dink and dunk there.

If we play defense like this now, and we can complement it with some sustained offensive drives on our part, it could spell the same type of success we had in the early part of the last decade. We DID this against TTech - we ran fewer plays, controlled the ball, persisted in the run game, and made clutch first downs when needed. No coincidence we went up big and didn't have to sweat the 4th quarter. so we didn't run 90 plays - big deal! We won and did so without breathing too hard.

Widescreen
10/8/2012, 01:34 PM
Still havent figured out why Heupel passed as much as he did in the 4th quarter. I think that's largely why we got scored on late.

Sooner70
10/9/2012, 06:42 AM
Something must've happened. All I know is that guy Torres ate OU's lunch last 2 years & I only heard his name once this game; Think he caught one short pass for not much gain. I got so tired of seeing him run thru OU's defenses last coupla games, I was worried about that guy. Whatever MS & Co. did to stop him & his Red Raider buddies seemed to work this time.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/9/2012, 08:26 AM
Still havent figured out why Heupel passed as much as he did in the 4th quarter. I think that's largely why we got scored on late.

Personally, I think that was all for Landry.

Keep him working. Keep him throwing the football. Build confidence and get live snaps doing whatever it was they worked on last week to get his head screwed back on. The whole "get him back on the horse" thing. But that's just a guess.

cjames317
10/9/2012, 10:56 AM
It's trademark M stoops defense circa 2000-2004. Give up the dink and dunk and allow some yardage, then clamp down when the field shortens. Make other team settle for FG. Get a couple of TO and maybe even one defensive score per game on the big play. In most of the big games of that era, this is how we won. Except for the total defensive stonewalling we gave texas during those years. he he. No dink and dunk there.

If we play defense like this now, and we can complement it with some sustained offensive drives on our part, it could spell the same type of success we had in the early part of the last decade. We DID this against TTech - we ran fewer plays, controlled the ball, persisted in the run game, and made clutch first downs when needed. No coincidence we went up big and didn't have to sweat the 4th quarter. so we didn't run 90 plays - big deal! We won and did so without breathing too hard.

Good ole Tampa 2! Make the offense make a mistake.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/9/2012, 01:42 PM
We have better players than TT.we have better talent than anyone we play, except tx, domer and WVU. Coaching is vital in those games.(of course, it is in all games, since we can blow our talent superiority in the other games with inadequate coaching)

Salt City Sooner
10/9/2012, 01:44 PM
Personally, I think that was all for Landry.

Keep him working. Keep him throwing the football. Build confidence and get live snaps doing whatever it was they worked on last week to get his head screwed back on. The whole "get him back on the horse" thing. But that's just a guess.
x 2, plus by that time, Tech was in major run blitz mode. It was pretty much the only way we were going to hold onto the ball to any degree.

8timechamps
10/9/2012, 06:18 PM
we have better talent than anyone we play, except tx, domer and WVU. Coaching is vital in those games.(of course, it is in all games, since we can blow our talent superiority in the other games with inadequate coaching)

Top to bottom, we have better talent than WVU. They just have a ton of offensive talent that has come together this year. texas and Notre Dame probably out-talent us overall. But, it won't matter.