PDA

View Full Version : Tackling: Catching vs. Attacking

Fraggle145
10/7/2012, 12:02 PM
As I was watching the game last night I noticed that when they were running the ball our defense (and especially our LBs) seems to wait for the ball carrier to reach us rather than striking the blow. This seems to be especially true when they were running it up the gut. Is this a scheme thing or just how our players are playing. Is it just that our DT's arent able to keep the blockers off our our LBs? I was watching some other games later like SS/UGA, UF/LSU, and their LBs seemed to meet the ball carrier in the hole. Not bitching, just an observation. Hell I could be wrong. Thoughts?

Okie35
10/7/2012, 12:11 PM
It's how they're playing not a scheme. If you miss a few tackles you tend to get like that in fear of missing more. They get worried about getting burnt by a cutback or anything in that nature. Box used to hit at the point of attack :upset:

goingoneight
10/7/2012, 03:11 PM
Attacking I think sometimes is our issue. You must disrupt a guys lower body and footwork and we always seem to do one of the following:
1. Go for the Sportscenter highlight reel hit (whiff)
2. "Coach is riding me; so I better bring him down this time" (let the ball carrier bowl you over to assure he goes down.

Great tackling is an art and takes constant, game-on-the-line effort.

StoopTroup
10/7/2012, 03:32 PM
Attacking I think sometimes is our issue. You must disrupt a guys lower body and footwork and we always seem to do one of the following:
1. Go for the Sportscenter highlight reel hit (whiff)
2. "Coach is riding me; so I better bring him down this time" (let the ball carrier bowl you over to assure he goes down.

Great tackling is an art and takes constant, game-on-the-line effort.

Yeah they seem to be quite away from the "Hit him in the numbers and wrap him up" stuff. It seems we hit without committing just in case they are needed to gang tackle or get an assist tackle.

OU_Sooners75
10/7/2012, 04:18 PM
I don't think its scheme. IMO it is the player.

Take for example the difference we saw when Wort was in and when Shannon was in. Wort seemed to be allowing the ball carrier come to him. When Shannon came in and he was attacking the ball carrier and even the QB when he got his sack.

I'm not trying to dog on Wort. The main reason is because IMHO he is not a Mike backer. He should be on the outside.

Now, I'm not questioning Mike Stoops either. Our LB corps seems to be lacking size for the middle. But if it was me, I would have Nelson as a Will, Wort as a Sam. And from what I saw of Shannon, Shannon at the Mike. In the 4-2-5 I would put a DB in place of Nelson or Wort, depending on which of those two are weaker against the pass.

I know some here may not see it the way I do, but that's what I would do.

SoonerOX
10/7/2012, 09:18 PM

Take for example the difference we saw when Wort was in and when Shannon was in. Wort seemed to be allowing the ball carrier come to him. When Shannon came in and he was attacking the ball carrier and even the QB when he got his sack.

I'm not trying to dog on Wort. The main reason is because IMHO he is not a Mike backer. He should be on the outside.

Now, I'm not questioning Mike Stoops either. Our LB corps seems to be lacking size for the middle. But if it was me, I would have Nelson as a Will, Wort as a Sam. And from what I saw of Shannon, Shannon at the Mike. In the 4-2-5 I would put a DB in place of Nelson or Wort, depending on which of those two are weaker against the pass.

Spot on. I like your 4-2-5 idea, too.

SoonerOX
10/7/2012, 09:19 PM

Spot on. I like your 4-2-5 idea, too.