PDA

View Full Version : Can there be any doubt ...

Seamus
10/7/2012, 12:40 AM
... that Mike Stoops does make a difference?

cleller
10/7/2012, 08:15 AM
I believe folks are making a heroic effort at not getting into a mudslinger on the topic. As I pointed out in another thread, the last time we beat Tech in Lubbock was 2003 when Mike was also still on staff.

At any rate, I wish both guys were still here. That was a good dynamic.

DrZaius
10/7/2012, 08:27 AM
It definitely a better start. Still some big running lanes left open and the turnovers seem to be short. I am concerned with RB tandem during the TX-WVU they could be a handful next week if they don't plug up that middle.

But all signs are pointing to a good future if he sticks around.

OU_Sooners75
10/7/2012, 08:38 AM
It definitely a better start. Still some big running lanes left open and the turnovers seem to be short. I am concerned with RB tandem during the TX-WVU they could be a handful next week if they don't plug up that middle.

But all signs are pointing to a good future if he sticks around.

I would be very surprised if Mike doesn't go to a traditional 4-3 next week.

Have Wort and Nelson on the outside and Shannon or Bird on the inside.

GameWarden
10/7/2012, 08:58 AM
I'm a believer -- now.

HolaKyle
10/7/2012, 09:39 AM
I'm a believer -- for now.

Fixed!:D

CatfishSooner
10/7/2012, 09:43 AM
It was great seeing Mike still getting red-faced and yelling at everybody late in the game!

basel90
10/7/2012, 09:43 AM
Certainly the defense is much much better... Sad to know stoops kept vendables too long

boomermagic
10/7/2012, 09:56 AM
Mike knows !

Stooper
10/7/2012, 10:55 AM
It was great seeing Mike still getting red-faced and yelling at everybody late in the game!

I agree, brought back some good memories. Seems like Bob got a bit of swagger back as well. Boomer!!!!!

hawaii 5-0
10/7/2012, 11:10 AM
Things look more rosey when you're winning.

5-0

OU_Sooners75
10/7/2012, 11:20 AM
God I love how 5-0 points out the obvious.

Things are rosey when winning, but OU still has a lot of work to do. The finish product won't be this year, sadly.

I will say this much. There was never any doubt about Mike from me. But there has been plenty about Heupel. He did have a good game plan yesterday. Now can he have one every game? He can't expect to have the same one every game.

Since he shows he can do it this game, now he needs to show he can do it every game!

hawaii 5-0
10/7/2012, 11:26 AM
OK, I'll be a little more detailed.......

I think Mike will be a better recruiter than Brent.

He'll get those tackles that can push back the pocket and disrupt the offense, something that's been missing since Gerald McCoy left.

5-0

SoonerOX
10/7/2012, 09:39 PM
OK, I'll be a little more detailed.......

I think Mike will be a better recruiter than Brent.

He'll get those tackles that can push back the pocket and disrupt the offense, something that's been missing since Gerald McCoy left.

5-0

Agree. I hope this comes to pass. To help point out the obvious, our defensive line is, well....iffy to be nice.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/8/2012, 09:50 AM
To be more blunt, this is the worst front four from a talent standpoint in decades at Oklahoma. The Gibbs, Schnelly and Blake era had more talented front fours than this.

PrideMom
10/8/2012, 10:18 AM
Finally the WHOLE team showed up to play! OU will always have the talent, it is the effort that gets questioned....

MamaMia
10/8/2012, 10:24 AM
Our defensive players don't seem as big to me this year. Did we recruit smaller guys the last couple of years?

BoulderSooner79
10/8/2012, 10:43 AM
Our defensive players don't seem as big to me this year. Did we recruit smaller guys the last couple of years?

No. They all just got caught up in those "weight watchers for men" commercials.

starclassic tama
10/8/2012, 10:46 AM
there has been a trend in this direction since about 2007 i think. i would imagine it is due to the passing explosion the conference has seen since then

Seamus
10/8/2012, 10:51 AM
It's a bad trend. Look at the defensive lines for Bama, LSU and South Carolina.

That's what we need to be putting together.

AzianSooner
10/8/2012, 11:03 AM
The guy, Mike, has a proven record of his experience and success with his defense. Give him good players, he make it tough on anyone.

On the side note, I notice that OU defense give up (seemingly) 1 long ball for touchdown. It happened at TT and New Mexico. I did not recall there was any long ball by KSU or not.

Sooners78
10/8/2012, 01:48 PM
It's a bad trend. Look at the defensive lines for Bama, LSU and South Carolina.

That's what we need to be putting together.

Exactly. During the Tommie Harris years, 2001-03, we had a dominant DL. Against Tech's high powered offenses we won 30-13, 60-15, 56-25. Tech had 7, 10, and 8 win seasons during that stretch. Two of those games were in Lubbock. Except for 2003, those were balanced but not high-powered OU offenses. We won big with great defenses, especially on the line.

We should do everything possible to find at least one dominant DT, preferably two. With dominant DT play, the rest of the defense will fall into place even if it's just good and not great. After QB, it's the most important single position on the team.