PDA

View Full Version : Concerts list for 1984...

OUmillenium
10/6/2012, 11:04 PM
Van halen
Duran Duran
Kiss
Motley Crue

These are the groups I have seen this year. How good would that run have been 25+ years ago?

Have you seen any 70s/80s groups recently?

mojorisen2014
10/6/2012, 11:10 PM
I saw Huey Lewis and The News a couple months ago. They kicked ***.

Turd_Ferguson
10/6/2012, 11:31 PM
I went to the Van Halen concert at the Myriad in 84. DLR rocked out with his **** out.

mojorisen2014
10/7/2012, 12:21 AM
I went to the Van Halen concert at the Myriad in 84. DLR rocked out with his **** out.

Oh you mean he hanged out with his wang out?

bluedogok
10/7/2012, 01:51 PM
I sold my tickets for the second OKC Van Halen show (fifth row) after watching the poor performance the night before. I had seen most of their shows on previous tours and was disappointed, so I as going to get my money back. I haven't seen any of them this year but in 1984 I went to a bunch of them, of course I worked at Sound Warehouse at the time so good tickets were easy to get.

Jan 18 - Lionel Richie - Myriad
Jan 19 - Genesis - LNC
Jan 20 - ZZ Top - LNC
Feb 13 - Ozzy Osbourne/Motley Crue - LNC
Mar 14 - Yes - Myriad
Mar 31 - Adam Ant/The Romantics - LNC
Apr 15 - Scorpions - LNC
May 12 - Huey Lewis & The News/Stevie Ray Vaughn - Zoo Amphitheatre
May 24 - Hight Ranger/Ratt - LNC
Jun 15 - Van Halen/The Velcros - Myriad
Jul 18 - Judas Priest - LNC
Aug 19 - Rick Springfield/Corey Hart - LNC
Sep 14 - Thompson Twins/Berlin - Zoo
Sep 18 - Sammy Hagar - LNC
Nov 16 - Dio - LNC

There were a few others but I lost the stubs for them somewhere along the way, all the ones listed above but the Lionel Richie show I still have the stubs for. I remembered the date of Lionel Richie since it was three concerts in three nights. The funny thing about that is the Genesis stub says 1983 on it but the ZZ Top stub has 1984. It was on the Mama Tour which didn't come out until October 1983 and I went with a Sound Warehouse co-worker, I didn't start there until September 1983.

Another one that I was supposed to go to in 1984 was The Beach Boys, tickets went on sale around Thanksgiving 1983 and I got the two, front row center seats at the LNC. The show was cancelled after drummer Dennis Wilson drowned around Christmas. We did see The Beach Boys on the 50th Anniversary tour this year at Red Rocks Amphitheater, they were filming it and it is supposed to come out on DVD.

pphilfran
10/7/2012, 02:13 PM
Van halen
Duran Duran
Kiss
Motley Crue

These are the groups I have seen this year. How good would that run have been 25+ years ago?

Have you seen any 70s/80s groups recently?

AC/DC and Rush

GDC
10/7/2012, 06:47 PM
Cheap Trick (X2)
Paul Rodgers
Joe Walsh
Dwight Yoakum
Brett Michaels

will see Toadies/Helmet and Rush in November

pphilfran
10/7/2012, 06:51 PM
Rush was spectacular

pphilfran
10/7/2012, 06:53 PM
I saw Cheap Trick back in the day...does the nerdy guitar player still flick a million picks into the audience?

8timechamps
10/7/2012, 07:56 PM

That was my first concert! Were you the guy that puked in the isle next to me?

8timechamps
10/7/2012, 07:58 PM
I sold my tickets for the second OKC Van Halen show (fifth row) after watching the poor performance the night before. I had seen most of their shows on previous tours and was disappointed, so I as going to get my money back. I haven't seen any of them this year but in 1984 I went to a bunch of them, of course I worked at Sound Warehouse at the time so good tickets were easy to get.

Jan 19 - Genesis - LNC
Jan 20 - ZZ Top - LNC
Mar 14 - Yes - Myriad
Apr 15 - Scorpions - LNC
Nov 16 - Dio - LNC

There were a few others but I lost the stubs for them somewhere along the way, all the ones listed above but the Lionel Richie show I still have the stubs for. I remembered the date of Lionel Richie since it was three concerts in three nights. The funny thing about that is the Genesis stub says 1983 on it but the ZZ Top stub has 1984. It was on the Mama Tour which didn't come out until October 1983 and I went with a Sound Warehouse co-worker, I didn't start there until September 1983.

Another one that I was supposed to go to in 1984 was The Beach Boys, tickets went on sale around Thanksgiving 1983 and I got the two, front row center seats at the LNC. The show was cancelled after drummer Dennis Wilson drowned around Christmas. We did see The Beach Boys on the 50th Anniversary tour this year at Red Rocks Amphitheater, they were filming it and it is supposed to come out on DVD.

I'm not trying to sound like a homer, or hijack this thread, but I've have been spoiled by Red Rocks. I've seen concerts/shows at the Pepsi Center and Mile High, and I always go back to Red Rocks. Just a great venue.

GDC
10/7/2012, 08:59 PM
I saw Cheap Trick back in the day...does the nerdy guitar player still flick a million picks into the audience?

Yes, and he still throws a Kiss record to the audience during "Surrender".

bluedogok
10/7/2012, 09:39 PM
I'm not trying to sound like a homer, or hijack this thread, but I've have been spoiled by Red Rocks. I've seen concerts/shows at the Pepsi Center and Mile High, and I always go back to Red Rocks. Just a great venue.
The Beach Boys was the only show that I have been to there, the "hike" surprised us a bit. It is an impressive venue, the only show that I had been to before I moved was Live/Counting Crows at Fiddlers Green in 2000. It was drizzly and cold that night.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/7/2012, 10:06 PM
During the last year or 2, all here in PHX:
Bob Seeger
Foreigner
Greg Lake(ELO)
Blondie
Pat Benatar
Ian Anderson
Steely Dan
Basha
Eric Burdon and the Animals
Jack Bruce of Cream
Flo and Eddie(the Turtles)
Kansas
Moody Blues
REO Speedwagon

They were all good shows. Some were great, like Blondie and Steely Dan.

10/7/2012, 10:17 PM
Cheap Trick (X2)
Paul Rodgers
Joe Walsh
Dwight Yoakum
Brett Michaels

will see Toadies/Helmet and Rush in NovemberHow good were the Paul Rodgers and joe Walsh shows?

SoonerStormchaser
10/8/2012, 09:31 AM
Last year was Journey, Night Ranger and Duran Duran...this year was Duran Duran and Hall & Oates.

Turd_Ferguson
10/8/2012, 09:54 AM
Last year was Journey, Night Ranger and Duran Duran...this year was Duran Duran and Hall & Oates.
How was H&O?

Turd_Ferguson
10/8/2012, 10:01 AM
That was my first concert! Were you the guy that puked in the isle next to me?No, but my friends and I snuck in some Budweiser bottles. Before the lights came down, one of the guys with me through a full bottle at his ex girlfriend about 10 rows in front of us. It barely missed her head and shattered on the steps. It took about 8 seconds for him to be in handcuffs. Dumb basturd. :chuncky:

pphilfran
10/8/2012, 12:35 PM

I saw Journey with Def Lep at the Dallas Starplex (or whatever it is called) a few years back...Journey opened the show and used their back up back up singer and they sucked...Def rocked the house...

pphilfran
10/8/2012, 12:39 PM

Jan 19 - Genesis - LNC
Jan 20 - ZZ Top - LNC
Mar 14 - Yes - Myriad
Apr 15 - Scorpions - LNC
Nov 16 - Dio - LNC

I was at that Priest concert...two days out of knee surgery...aisle seat, thank God...I was on some good legal drugs...

This giant, drunk, drugged, slimy bitch with her pants undone came staggering up the aisle and nearly took my leg off...she fell into the row just above me...thank God, again....

8timechamps
10/8/2012, 01:13 PM
The Beach Boys was the only show that I have been to there, the "hike" surprised us a bit. It is an impressive venue, the only show that I had been to before I moved was Live/Counting Crows at Fiddlers Green in 2000. It was drizzly and cold that night.

If you get there early enough, you can park on the north side. You can access it by coming from I-70. It's much closer, but a little tougher to exit afterward. We always kinda tailgate after the shows/concerts and let the traffic die down.

Fiddlers Green used to be a great place for a show, but a couple of years ago the residents in the area adopted a noise ordnance, so now all their shows must end by 9:30 (or somewhere in that vicinity).

GDC
10/8/2012, 08:08 PM
How good were the Paul Rodgers and joe Walsh shows?

Both were at the Joint at the Hard Rock in Tulsa, which is a great venue. They both kicked ***, Walsh with his guitar and Rodgers with his amazing voice. They both have so many good songs in their catalogs neither had any low points.

picasso
10/8/2012, 09:17 PM
In '84 I saw Rush, Ratt and Bon Jovi. Sammy Hagar in '85. And Loverboy with Joan Jett.

They were passin' a bong around at the Hagar concert.

10/8/2012, 11:04 PM
Both were at the Joint at the Hard Rock in Tulsa, which is a great venue. They both kicked ***, Walsh with his guitar and Rodgers with his amazing voice. They both have so many good songs in their catalogs neither had any low points.I would love to see either one, esp Rodgers. His Bad Company repertoire in itself would have to be superb.

MamaMia
10/8/2012, 11:40 PM
In the last year or two, I've seen Fleetwood Mac, Jimmy Buffett, ZZ Top and Lynyrd Synyrd.

SoonerStormchaser
10/9/2012, 06:10 AM
How was H&O?

awesome

OUmillenium
10/9/2012, 11:06 PM
Couldnt get my wife to go to hall n oates

Saw duran duran at the joint

Have seen def leppard a number of times, first in 92, wish i could have seen the hysteria tour

The cult is one of my fave groups and they are coming to Miami OK oct 20

GDC
10/10/2012, 08:55 PM
I always thought The Cult should have been much bigger than they ever were.

OklaPony
10/13/2012, 10:47 AM
Saw Peter Gabriel at Planet Hollywood in Vegas last week. Awesome.

SoonerStormchaser
10/13/2012, 05:40 PM
Couldnt get my wife to go to hall n oates

Saw duran duran at the joint

Have seen def leppard a number of times, first in 92, wish i could have seen the hysteria tour

The cult is one of my fave groups and they are coming to Miami OK oct 20

We were at that DD concert at the joint!

10/13/2012, 05:48 PM
Saw Peter Gabriel at Planet Hollywood in Vegas last week. Awesome.I would like to have seen that. Dude has quite the voice, sounds a lot like Steve Winwood, and I'm not surprised his show was great.

10/13/2012, 11:00 PM
Men at Work FTW!

Stuff that in your RATT pipe and smoke it.

(Yeah, I went to all of them... I think I may be an honorary member of Dokken.)

OUmillenium
10/16/2012, 12:07 AM
Men At Work was one of my faves too.

Saw them about 10 years ago at the OKC Brewery. Their horn player died a few months back.

sooneron
10/16/2012, 10:36 AM
Jan 19 - Genesis - LNC
Jan 20 - ZZ Top - LNC

Apr 15 - Scorpions - LNC

Nov 16 - Dio - LNC

I saw these that were mentioned above back then. I had forgotten about that Adam Ant show, I almost didn't go b/c he sucked so much in 83 w/ INXS. INXS was new and they smoked him off the stage.
Was The Police in 84 or 85 at the myriad? I think it was 84. Saw them as well, as Duran Duran that year. DD show was stacked with chicks- awesome.
I know that I saw more than that, because my uncle was one of the stage mgrs at LNC. GREAT family member to have when you're in HS/College. I ended up working shows a little later as local crew. I also saw U2 in 84(?) in asstin, plus, 83 at LNC.

sooneron
10/16/2012, 10:38 AM
I just saw New Order the night before the texas game and they were flipping great.

bluedogok
10/16/2012, 11:56 PM
Was The Police in 84 or 85 at the myriad? I think it was 84.
84, I worked that night but had many co-workers who went and had a friend with a bootleg tape of the show.

GDC
10/17/2012, 06:20 PM
I forgot to mention I saw Steel Panther at the House of Blues in Las Vegas last year, very entertaining.

sooneron
10/17/2012, 09:09 PM
I saw BRUCE recently. Dude still puts on a show.

Wishboned
10/17/2012, 11:05 PM
The Police in 84 at the Myriad was probably the worst concert I've ever been to in my life.

They sang Home on the Range for an encore. UB40 opened up for them.

btk108
10/18/2012, 02:59 AM
I've made it my mission to see all the bands I didn't get to see in the early 80's because I was a broke kid. In the last three years I've seen Journey, Styx, Foreigner, 38 Special, Night Ranger, Eddie Money, REO Speedwagon, Meatloaf, Bob Seeger, Billy Joel, Huey Lewis, Elton John, Joe Walsh, Foghat just to mention a few. Next up on 11-8 is Aerosmith and Cheap Trick, then Lynrd Skynrd on 11-17. Great thing is, I never had to leave OK see any of them! My bucket list band is the Eagles before one dies or they just decide to quit playing but looks like I"m going to have to make a trip to Vegas for that one.

StoopTroup
10/18/2012, 02:42 PM
Did you see Eddie at the Travel Agency? :D

btk108
10/18/2012, 03:57 PM
LOL...no...but I did expect to see him at the nursing home sometime soon.

sooneron
10/18/2012, 09:17 PM
The Police in 84 at the Myriad was probably the worst concert I've ever been to in my life.

They sang Home on the Range for an encore. UB40 opened up for them.

Yeah, it was pretty bad. They had totally lost interest in performing with each other by that point. I saw them a few years back and they put on a great show. I also saw them on the Ghosts tour and they kicked ***. Of course, I was on the 6th row and 14 years old, so any concert would have kicked ***.

GDC
10/19/2012, 01:01 AM
One of the best shows I've ever seen was The Kinks, mid 80s at LNC.

sooneron
10/19/2012, 09:31 AM
One of the best shows I've ever seen was The Kinks, mid 80s at LNC.

I'm pretty sure I was at that show in 84. It was their Word Of Mouth tour. They played Bonanza theme upon noticing they were in OK, though. I heard that they were tools backstage. Not that it's a surprise...

OUmillenium
10/21/2012, 10:14 PM
I saw the Police in Dallas about 4 years ago. Great show, outside at the Metrolplex/Starplex thingy