PDA

View Full Version : Landry had a great game...

Soonerus
10/6/2012, 10:22 PM
He deserves credit...

OUmillenium
10/6/2012, 10:26 PM
Yes, he played awesome!

Keep it up LJ!

Mazeppa
10/6/2012, 10:33 PM
Sooners brighten their outlook and ruin Texas Tech's blackout in rout
Updated: October 6, 2012, 10:48 PM ET
By Jake Trotter

LUBBOCK, Texas -- By the third quarter, Texas Tech's "blackout" had become a "bleacher-out."
Saturday on the road, Oklahoma hammered Texas Tech 41-20 to jump back into the Big 12 title conversation while also recapturing some of its long lost swagger heading into next week's showdown with Red River rival Texas.
"This was a must-win for us," said cornerback Aaron Colvin, who picked off one pass and tipped another that led to Harris' interception.
"Before the game, we were in the locker room, saying, 'Let's go out there and play with a swagger. We wanted to come out here & and play that way."
After the game, coach Bob Stoops downplayed the need for generating momentum, confidence or even swagger. But to anyone paying attention, the Sooners were in desperate need of all three coming off a disappointing defeat at home to Kansas State two weeks ago, and a discouraging finish to the 2011 season.
In Lubbock, the Sooners got just what they needed, starting with quarterback Landry Jones, who played his best game by far since losing receiver Ryan Broyles to a knee injury last November.
Jones completed 25-of-40 passes for 259 yards and tossed a pair of third-down touchdowns. He could have had a third touchdown, but wide receiver Justin Brown couldn't hang on to a 38-yard pass in the end zone. Jones also spread the ball around to seven receivers and, perhaps most critically, didn't turn the ball over.
"Landry made some fantastic throws where you had to stop and stay, 'Wow, that was a beautiful throw,'" said center Gabe Ikard. "He showed what kind of guy he is, battling through the bye week while he was getting killed by the media and played strong."
Against the Red Raiders, Jones was strong throughout and played like the quarterback that led OU to the 2010 Big 12 championship. On third-and-10 on the Sooners' opening possession, Jones stepped into the pocket and delivered a pass between the cornerback and safety to Brown for a 13-yard touchdown.
He came right back in the second quarter and led the Sooners on a 75-yard scoring drive, completing all six of his pass attempts, capped with a 13-yard strike on third down to Kenny Stills in the corner of the end zone.
"It was critical to play this," said Stills, who finished with seven receptions. "It was exciting to get back, to having fun and winning again  the way that Oklahoma is used to playing football."
It wasn't just Stills carrying the offense this time. The Sooners received production up and down the lineup from freshman slot receiver Sterling Shepard to fullback Trey Millard to running back Damien Williams, who generated 130 yards of total offense in first career start. All told, 10 Sooners touched the ball as Jones gashed a Red Raiders defense that was ranked first in the country.
"This gives us good confidence, realizing what we can do," Jones said. "You can hear what people think about you, but when you go out there and play the way you're capable of playing, then you really start to believe you can do some good things on offense, and some good things on defense and realize what kind of team you are."
The Sooners seemed to finally find their offensive identity in the post-Broyles era. But also, played defense like the Mike Stoops days of old.
Going into the weekend, OU was tied for last in the country in tackles for loss and forced turnovers, despite having played reasonably well. Against Tech, the Sooners didn't play just reasonably well. They were dominant.
They forced five tackles for loss and three turnovers, had one defensive touchdown and came close to another, buttackle Jamarkus McFarland fumbled a first-quarter interception as he was barreling toward the end zone.
"This was a big win for us and I feel like it's going to bring a lot of confidence to the whole team," Colvin said. "But it's all over after this weekend.

MamaMia
10/6/2012, 11:23 PM
Going into the weekend, OU was tied for last in the country in tackles for loss and forced turnovers, despite having played reasonably well. Against Tech, the Sooners didn't play just reasonably well. They were dominant

Big improvement. Lets hope it continues.

picasso
10/6/2012, 11:29 PM
Good article by Trotter but McFarland isn't lined up at buttackle this season.

hvhurricane
10/6/2012, 11:35 PM
I thought LJ played great considering our OC was trying to for the horizontal game the whole day. LJ is a pocket passer who performs much better when throwing the ball upfield. If Holgerson was LJ's OC, I gaurantee you he would be a Top 10 pick and POY in the Big 12.

JLEW1818
10/6/2012, 11:57 PM
Please keep going forward Landry.

picasso
10/7/2012, 12:18 AM
Great ball he threw to D Williams down the sideline in the 3rd.

SCOUT
10/7/2012, 12:44 AM
Landry played great today. My concern with Landry isn't if he can play well, it is if he will play well today.

Dean's use of the moniker Sybil was confirmed today. I am just happy it was on the positive side.

PLaw
10/7/2012, 08:06 AM
Amazing what a little protection and strong ground game does for your passing game.

I think Heup has been trolling.

BOOMER

BeaSooner
10/7/2012, 08:42 AM
Landry did have a good game. When Landry plays with confidence, the whole team plays with confidence. After two weeks of some serious criticism, he showed he can man up and play to his potential.

OU_Sooners75
10/7/2012, 08:49 AM
I really like what I saw from Landry Jones yesterday. Was on the sidelines talking with his team, being a leader, though not an in-your-face type.

He had a solid performance. Stepped up into the pocket instead of fleeing it. Was able to get through his progressions better.

And then my biggest props to Josh Heupel. He really had a very good game plan. We saw more outs if the primary WR wasn't open. We saw the swing passes and bubble screens back. We saw the flares to the WRs back in the play calling. We saw some very good designed running plays. We also saw the deep ball being thrown.

To say something about the deep ball. You may not complete a heck of a lot of those, but they make the defense stay honest. When you can get a good mixture of run, short, intermediate, and deep passes in your play book, the defense has to play honest. They cannot cheat one way or the other.

It sucks that it took a loss to see a very well designed game plan offensively. But I hope it continues, because the season just gets tougher and tougher.

GameWarden
10/7/2012, 08:54 AM
I thought LJ played great considering our OC was trying to for the horizontal game the whole day. LJ is a pocket passer who performs much better when throwing the ball upfield. If Holgerson was LJ's OC, I gaurantee you he would be a Top 10 pick and POY in the Big 12.

You say this after Landry and his stand-in basically spotted KSU 21 points in the last game. Really?? Its Josh Heupel's fault? For giving Landry too many horizontal (easy) passes??? That's some funny logic right there.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/7/2012, 09:24 AM
Let's be consistent. Landry sucks. He plays scared. He panics. He has a stupid look on his face. He pees his leg. His wife is tougher than he is. He is gutless. He doesn't play with fire. He isn't a leader. Did I miss anything?

CatfishSooner
10/7/2012, 09:41 AM
Great ball he threw to D Williams down the sideline in the 3rd.

That was a GREAT pass!!!

Man and D.D. can really catch and get some YAC!!!

BigTip
10/7/2012, 09:55 AM
Dean's use of the moniker Sybil was confirmed today. .

Yes. Another one could be Dr. Landry and Mr. Jones
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/83/JekyllHyde1931.jpg/220px-JekyllHyde1931.jpg

I'm hoping dangerous and deadly Mr. Jones shows up for the rest of our games.

BigTip
10/7/2012, 09:57 AM
Let's be consistent. Landry sucks. He plays scared. He panics. He has a stupid look on his face. He pees his leg. His wife is tougher than he is. He is gutless. He doesn't play with fire. He isn't a leader. Did I miss anything?
Don't forget this:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mvdxUi6R_K8/TqOGC9jKU1I/AAAAAAAAAUM/40dGxm4R3Ao/s1600/Deer-in-headlights.jpg

OUTrumpet
10/7/2012, 10:09 AM
You say this after Landry and his stand-in basically spotted KSU 21 points in the last game. Really?? Its Josh Heupel's fault? For giving Landry too many horizontal (easy) passes??? That's some funny logic right there.

Did you watch the same KSU game I did? Heupal favored calling 15-20 yard plays at a cover 4 defense that whole night. Heupal could be patient for 1-2 first downs on long drives, but then would call 3 straight intermediate to deep passes. Made no adjustments, just assumed our wideouts were more talented than KSU's secondary even against double coverage. Heupal was so confused he couldn't get a call in half the time until there were about 5 seconds on the playclock. Forced the offense to rush and make mistakes across the board - oline missing slide protection, receivers running routes to the same spot on the field, hardly using the rushing game at all.

Against Tech, yes we did favor the horizontal pass a lot more. Plays came in with about 20 seconds left on the playclock. We didn't abandon the running game (would still like to see more). Called more short plays to get our guys into space.

Okie35
10/7/2012, 12:05 PM
I wish people would understand that whenever the game is completely on his shoulders aka we get away from being balanced (running and passing) ... it puts Landry in bad positions. He can't make plays all game by himself. If the defense knows we're going to pass all game its too easy. Landry is a stud whenever we can run the ball to set up the pass. Hopefully the rest of the year we get back to it. I enjoyed how we actually decided to run swing passes too. Get the ball to the playmakers and watch them go.

GameWarden
10/7/2012, 02:23 PM
Did you watch the same KSU game I did? Heupal favored calling 15-20 yard plays at a cover 4 defense that whole night. Heupal could be patient for 1-2 first downs on long drives, but then would call 3 straight intermediate to deep passes. Made no adjustments, just assumed our wideouts were more talented than KSU's secondary even against double coverage. Heupal was so confused he couldn't get a call in half the time until there were about 5 seconds on the playclock. Forced the offense to rush and make mistakes across the board - oline missing slide protection, receivers running routes to the same spot on the field, hardly using the rushing game at all.

Against Tech, yes we did favor the horizontal pass a lot more. Plays came in with about 20 seconds left on the playclock. We didn't abandon the running game (would still like to see more). Called more short plays to get our guys into space.

Well see there's the problem, you obviously know a lot more about football than I do. I couldn't tell you cover 2 from a martian invasion. I didn't even know there was a cover 4?

On Saturday I saw Heupel give Landry a healthy dose of the short easy passes that are his bread and butter. After about a dozen of those he was able to start hitting some vertical passes. I thought OU's receivers had trouble getting open against Tech. I tend to blame the receiver for that, but I guess it could be the co-ordinators fault. If Heupel would call more plays where the receivers weren't covered I'm sure it would help them get open. Of course that's the whole idea of the hurry up -- to get the defense at a disadvantage. That could be another reason Landry does so well with it.

I know Landry has times when he just can't seem to miss and other times when he just makes dumb mistakes. If that's the co-ordinators fault, I'll give it up to you, but I usually figure that's on the player. For instance when Landry fumbled on our goal line, he could have avoided that mistake if he had simply stepped up in the pocket. That wasn't Heupels fault. Whether the receivers were open or not, that's on Landry. And I believe the pick he threw against KSU was off his back foot. Once again, not Heupel's fault.

StoopTroup
10/7/2012, 02:33 PM
he could have avoided that mistake if he had simply stepped up in the pocket. That wasn't Heupels fault. Whether the receivers were open or not, that's on Landry. And I believe the pick he threw against KSU was off his back foot. Once again, not Heupel's fault.

He could have run into the EZ and given himself more room and time too. Wonder why he avoided the EZ?

The pick? He should have thrown that away. It was a mistake on his part. KSU has decent players and they made the play.