PDA

View Full Version : Shannon looks better than Wort...

Soonerus
10/6/2012, 06:20 PM
Who is he ??!

jk the sooner fan
10/6/2012, 06:26 PM
not sure but i tend to agree....he made plays. Liked seeing J. Wilson in the secondary as well

OUInformant
10/6/2012, 06:28 PM
He looked better than Wort. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays a lot from now on. Wort is pretty good, but makes mistakes. I don't like him at MLB. He's a pretty good OLB.

Soonerus
10/6/2012, 06:46 PM
Wort seems like a great kid but he keeps making the same mistakes over and over.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/6/2012, 06:51 PM
Wort seems like a great kid but he keeps making the same mistakes over and over.

He jogged on the 10 plays before he got yanked. How in the world do you classify "no effort" as a mistake?

Widescreen
10/6/2012, 06:53 PM
It was a mistake that he didn't try?

Collier11
10/6/2012, 06:53 PM
Every time Wort was in the game it seemed like our D messed up, also Wilson is gonna be a stud

8timechamps
10/6/2012, 08:31 PM
He jogged on the 10 plays before he got yanked. How in the world do you classify "no effort" as a mistake?

I didn't pay attention to him, and at some point in the first quarter realized I had only heard his name once or twice. By that time, he was out of the game. Was he sick? I know Tom is no Bozworth, but lack of effort is not his normal style. After his poor pass coverage last week, I figured he'd bounce back, but I'm wondering if something was wrong with him, or he just got yanked because of effort. Wort isn't typically a guy that slacks off, that's why I'm wondering if he was 'all there' today.

MamaMia
10/6/2012, 08:45 PM
I didn't pay attention to him, and at some point in the first quarter realized I had only heard his name once or twice. By that time, he was out of the game. Was he sick? I know Tom is no Bozworth, but lack of effort is not his normal style. After his poor pass coverage last week, I figured he'd bounce back, but I'm wondering if something was wrong with him, or he just got yanked because of effort. Wort isn't typically a guy that slacks off, that's why I'm wondering if he was 'all there' today.Stoops would not have allowed him to play if he was sick.

8timechamps
10/6/2012, 09:00 PM
Stoops would not have allowed him to play if he was sick.

Yeah, you're right Mama. It's probably just an effort thing. Maybe he'll be the kind of guy that learns from this, and steps up. If not, Shannon will step in.

BeaSooner
10/6/2012, 09:15 PM
Based on what I have seen from Wort, I would be surprised if it was just lack of effort. I simply haven't seen that from him. That said, that Shannon kid looked great today.

jk the sooner fan
10/6/2012, 09:37 PM
from the DOK

Oklahoma began Saturday's game in a dime package, with six defensive backs and just one linebacker.

It was a set the Sooners stayed in for much of the game, with sophomore Julian Wilson playing in the sixth defensive back spot and the linebacker frequently rotated between Tom Wort, Corey Nelson, Frank Shannon and Aaron Franklin.

Shannon and Wilson each finished with six tackles, which was tied with Nelson and Aaron Colvin for the team high.

Shannon also sacked Tech quarterback Seth Doege for a 10-yard loss.

“Frank had a heck of a game,” said coach Bob Stoops. “Julian Wilson played a ton. He did well.

“All of those guys came in and did a nice job. The guys up front I thought got excellent pressure overall.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-notebook-rb-damien-williams-gets-the-nod-more-carries/article/3716667#ixzz28ZprIZgE

8timechamps
10/6/2012, 09:47 PM
from the DOK

Interesting. From what I saw, all of the linebackers that played did pretty well, except Wort.

MamaMia
10/6/2012, 09:53 PM
I vaguely remember Wort making some comment about his play after the UTEP game in a DOK article. I cant remember, but I think it had something to do with what he thought of how he played or his game grade?

picasso
10/6/2012, 10:01 PM
Merv said after the first quarter that he really thought OU would make the right defensive adjustments. Normally Merv is in glass half full coach mode but he must have seen something.

OU_Sooners75
10/6/2012, 10:07 PM

Thats because he is expected to play a position that doesn't fit him at all.

IslandSooner
10/6/2012, 10:22 PM
Didn't get to watch the game, but listened to the better part of it on XM radio (red raider commentators) and they mentioned Shannon's efforts several times.... I never heard worts name called.... Just saying?

colleyvillesooner
10/7/2012, 04:29 AM
I vaguely remember Wort making some comment about his play after the UTEP game in a DOK article. I cant remember, but I think it had something to do with what he thought of how he played or his game grade?

http://m.newsok.com/oklahoma-football-tom-wort-responds-to-critics/article/3706991

“I graded out the highest I've graded out since I've been here,” Wort said. “I've seen what's been said about me, that I played terrible that game.

“I don't think people understand what gap defense is. If you have a gap, you have to maintain that gap. If you leave your gap and they run it in there, it's your fault. This whole game is about playing your gap and being right. The grades show me and Corey (Nelson) did the right thing. We hit our gaps inside.”

GameWarden
10/7/2012, 09:11 AM
From the Sooner Radio sideline crew:

During the KSU game: OU is not shedding blocks like they should.
During the Tech game: Shannon is the most active LB I've seen since Curtis Lofton.

I've liked Wort since he started but he hasn't developed like I thought he would. He lets a lot of plays go right past him.

I don't think we've seen the last of Wort. He is talented and I think he has great heart.

tulsaoilerfan
10/7/2012, 09:14 AM
Wort had 1 tackle total in the game; Shannon had 6 with 1 TFL and 1 Sack and probably played about 1/3 as much as Wort did; the long screen pass they busted in the 3rd quarter Wort was just jogging after the ball; i guess after that Mike had him jog his *** to the bench where he belonged.

boomermagic
10/7/2012, 10:15 AM
I wonder if Wort may have been punished by Bob for saying they weren't being physical in practice or something like that. I know Bob was ask about that by the media and it seemed to make him mad.

stoopified
10/7/2012, 10:59 AM
I get the impression that Wort is so concerned about playing technique sound that he is thinking too much and not making plays.

hawaii 5-0
10/7/2012, 11:04 AM
Time and time again I've watched plays run right up the gut and Wort simply doesn't shed the block to make the tackle.

I started noticing it since last year. and it hasn't changed.

5-0

Okie35
10/7/2012, 12:03 PM
Yea Shannon looked pretty good yesterday. I think Wort may take that as a challenge and step up.

I Am Right
10/7/2012, 12:09 PM
Agree Totally!

Curly Bill
10/7/2012, 01:05 PM
I've never liked Wort and Shannon looked much better. I hope Wort is permanently out of a job. I don't dislike the guy but he's just not very good, and if it's because he's playing out of position at Mike then move him, but I really think he's just not any good at shedding blocks and making plays.

Okie35
10/7/2012, 01:21 PM
I've never liked Wort and Shannon looked much better. I hope Wort is permanently out of a job. I don't dislike the guy but he's just not very good, and if it's because he's playing out of position at Mike then move him, but I really think he's just not any good at shedding blocks and making plays.

the only time I've seen him play to his potential was against Texas

SoonerObsession
10/7/2012, 01:30 PM
Did you guys see that play where Wort was approaching a receiver that was awaiting a floater screen that took all day to get there and he just threw a shoulder at him instead of wrapping up? The receiver should have been dropped for a loss, but ended up getting about 12 yards. Every peewee player has been taught to wrap up, but for some reason we still see Sooner defenders do this. Its like they can't raise their arms above their shoulders. Drives me insane!

goingoneight
10/7/2012, 02:57 PM
It's not hard to figure. Shannon's playing better than the veteran. It happens. Ask Allen Patrick.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/7/2012, 03:02 PM
I get the impression that Wort is so concerned about playing technique sound that he is thinking too much and not making plays.

The problem is sort of this, but not all of it. It really starts with Travis Lewis and Reynolds before him (since Wort is similar to Reynolds pre-injury). Lewis and Reynolds were the best linebackers I've seen at OU in terms of making plays when they were clean (meaning no one blocks them) up there with the 85-88 crew. The problem was that they were the absolute worst I've ever seen if they were blocked. It was fairly close to 100% clean and 0% if blocked.

This is workable if your DL is good enough that the OL can never send a blocker to the second level (meaning both DTs and one DE force a double team) OR if your DL forces the double team by occupying them and not rushing the QB. Well, as you can see, we have neither of those with the exception of the occasional DE (which can be blocked just as effectively by scheme and distance). Thus as our DT talent has nosedived from good to bad, our linebackers saw more and more blockers. The more blockers they saw, the less effective they were. The less effective they were, the more our secondary had to come up for run support. The more our secondary had to come up for run support, the more susceptible they were to getting beaten over the top.

goingoneight
10/7/2012, 03:03 PM
the only time I've seen him play to his potential was against Texas

He was outstanding against Florida State both years we played, too. Just depends on who you match up well with, I guess. I remember Brent starting TRRW at SLB when we played FSU and all the critics were thinking "WTF?"

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/7/2012, 03:06 PM
He was outstanding against Florida State both years we played, too. Just depends on who you match up well with, I guess. I remember Brent starting TRRW at SLB when we played FSU and all the critics were thinking "WTF?"

This had more to do with the suckage of their offensive staff than our players. As I stated above, if your main scheme is not to block our linebackers they will destroy you. If you send someone out to block them they will chicken fight with him until the play is over. About 1/2 the teams we play insist on doing THEIR schemes instead of tweaking them to attack OUR weaknesses.

StoopTroup
10/7/2012, 03:10 PM
I don't think I've given that much thought since Travis left. I was just glad to see his Cheer-leading self promoting self, graduate and go on to become the guy he thought he was.

I like Tom. I think he has more passion than Lewis did. I don't think we have had but 5 guys with the passion that guys like Boz did since Bob came to Norman.

Calmus, Lehman, Marshall, Reynolds and of course Austin Box.

You make some great points.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/7/2012, 03:15 PM
I don't think I've given that much thought since Travis left. I was just glad to see his Cheer-leading self promoting self, graduate and go on to become the guy he thought he was.

I like Tom. I think he has more passion than Lewis did. I don't think we have had but 5 guys with the passion that guys like Boz did since Bob came to Norman.

Calmus, Lehman, Marshall, Reynolds and of course Austin Box.

You make some great points.

I think you need to correct your statement a little bit. Up until this year, he had more passion. Guys with passion don't jog on the field. Just watching the guy, he plays like he doesn't want to be here anymore. Remember he'd been with BV for a lot of years. Having him "kicked out" by MS returning may have affected him more than we know.

StoopTroup
10/7/2012, 03:20 PM
I think you need to correct your statement a little bit. Up until this year, he had more passion. Guys with passion don't jog on the field. Just watching the guy, he plays like he doesn't want to be here anymore. Remember he'd been with BV for a lot of years. Having him "kicked out" by MS returning may have affected him more than we know.

Yeah....

I wonder what's going on? I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt as I don't think passion leaves you but not being healthy does seem to have an effect on guys. I wonder if he is about to lose his starting position?

I felt we kept Lewis in to long so he wouldn't get hurt in the draft. I'm not sure we are helping guys by keeping their health a secret and pulling them?

FirstandGoal
10/7/2012, 05:41 PM

Interesting observation, and something I haven't thought about until I read this.

My mother and I were in a discussion about Wort's lack of.... enthusiasm... for lack of a better term during the first quarter of the game yesterday. I knew there had been something off about his play this year and this just might be the explanation behind it.

Breadburner
10/7/2012, 05:42 PM
He might still be butt hurt about Venables leaving.......

StoopTroup
10/7/2012, 06:08 PM
He might still be butt hurt about Venables leaving.......

Or hurt. He spent a good part of last year injured and playing for Lewis.

StoopTroup
10/7/2012, 06:13 PM
Maybe The Warrior needs to have a chat with him....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UoqBh-1N5E

Breadburner
10/7/2012, 07:38 PM
Or hurt. He spent a good part of last year injured and playing for Lewis.

Which has nothing to with his play this year....

8timechamps
10/7/2012, 07:46 PM
Which has nothing to with his play this year....

Yeah, I'm not buying the injury thing. I asked earlier in the thread if anyone thought he might be sick, and someone (Mama Mia, I think) reminded me that Bob isn't going to let a sick (read: weakened) player play. After re-watching the game, and watching his slow motion play, I think he got yanked for lack of effort. I like Wort, and hope he sees it as a challenge this week and steps up his play. But, if he doesn't, Shannon will see more playing time.

8timechamps
10/7/2012, 07:48 PM
The problem is sort of this, but not all of it. It really starts with Travis Lewis and Reynolds before him (since Wort is similar to Reynolds pre-injury). Lewis and Reynolds were the best linebackers I've seen at OU in terms of making plays when they were clean (meaning no one blocks them) up there with the 85-88 crew. The problem was that they were the absolute worst I've ever seen if they were blocked. It was fairly close to 100% clean and 0% if blocked.

This is workable if your DL is good enough that the OL can never send a blocker to the second level (meaning both DTs and one DE force a double team) OR if your DL forces the double team by occupying them and not rushing the QB. Well, as you can see, we have neither of those with the exception of the occasional DE (which can be blocked just as effectively by scheme and distance). Thus as our DT talent has nosedived from good to bad, our linebackers saw more and more blockers. The more blockers they saw, the less effective they were. The less effective they were, the more our secondary had to come up for run support. The more our secondary had to come up for run support, the more susceptible they were to getting beaten over the top.

I'll give you credit, you've been calling out the LBs for a while now. I wasn't sure I agreed, but this year has proven your point. I really am anxious to see if Mike brings in different guys in the next couple of years. Shannon is a BV guy, but he may have the talent to be a player.

VA Sooner
10/7/2012, 09:00 PM
I too would like to see what Shannon can do over the rest of the season as well as some of the other guys. I just wish we wouldn't have had two bye weeks already before tweaking our defense some more before the RRR.

I think we got our "swagger" back for now... ride the momentum and make a good game of it. Looking forward to next Saturday.

8timechamps
10/7/2012, 09:03 PM
I too would like to see what Shannon can do over the rest of the season as well as some of the other guys. I just wish we wouldn't have had two bye weeks already before tweaking our defense some more before the RRR.

I think we got our "swagger" back for now... ride the momentum and make a good game of it. Looking forward to next Saturday.

Sometimes you have to lose a game to get the full attention of the team.

VA Sooner
10/7/2012, 09:18 PM
I think the team's attention is focused. The defense looked great yesterday. Watched the game again today to see the new faces... fierce yesterday.

hawaii 5-0
10/7/2012, 09:49 PM
I loved watching Aaron Franklin fly around the field.

Kinda reminded me of early Ronnell.

5-0

badger
10/8/2012, 01:51 PM
The Brits really don't know much about American football, do they?

vbNOGs8vEAE

I love Tom Wort, but

(a) Top NFL prospect?!
(b) They talk highly about him while he's getting flagged for unnecessary roughness

lol brits

Widescreen
10/8/2012, 01:56 PM
Razzmatazz!!!!!!

8timechamps
10/8/2012, 05:35 PM
Razzmatazz!!!!!!

Everyone knows American Football = Razzmatazz!

en4cer
10/8/2012, 06:03 PM
Very interesting and informative thread.

Well done.

picasso
10/8/2012, 09:14 PM
I quite fancy me some North American football.