PDA

View Full Version : Belldozer

BigJerm7
10/6/2012, 04:52 PM
So the two starting RB's grind the ball downfield all game only for our backup QB to clean up the 1 yard runs. What a slap in the face and complete lack of confidence in your RB's. Have they not proven themselves? I know it "works", but reward the guys doing the work, not the guy that comes in for 2 plays.

ObiKaTony
10/6/2012, 05:04 PM
Couldn’t' disagree more with you when the Belldozer produces nothing but td's. Ask yourself, "Why was the belldozer introduced" answer: we couldn't get into the endzone from 5 yards out. Ask yourself, "Are we getting in endzone now." The answer: Yes.

These are good reps for Blake Bell, and he is the future. No one was complaining when Tebow was doing the same thing when UF won their title in 06. The point of the game is to score td's, and Bell is doing it.

Petro-Sooner
10/6/2012, 05:09 PM
If he is so damn good why isn't he at running back. I say blah to all of it.

ObiKaTony
10/6/2012, 05:15 PM

Why wasn't tebow made into a colllege full back? Perhaps Bell shouldn't score any tds, that would make it all better...

StoopTroup
10/6/2012, 05:17 PM
It's good way to keep him around. He's a good back-up and I'm betting we have a QB next year that hasn't ever taken a snap in a game for OU.

One4OU
10/6/2012, 05:19 PM
It looks pretty silly to me. Trot another qb out there to basically run a play that the rb should be doing. Either let Landry hand it off or put Bell at running back. Another "cute" little scheme we have over used.

StoopTroup
10/6/2012, 05:19 PM

I've never understood it but it works sometimes. He better figure out the playbook and use that rifle arm of his by next year.

BigJerm7
10/6/2012, 05:24 PM
It was developed last year. Pretty sure Williams or Whaley can get in from the 1.

jk the sooner fan
10/6/2012, 05:27 PM
he's really close to breaking the all time TD record at OU

he has to be

goingoneight
10/6/2012, 05:28 PM
I know this... the game is won already. It's time the backup QB gets some reps.

StoopTroup
10/6/2012, 05:29 PM

Yep

ObiKaTony
10/6/2012, 05:30 PM
We TRIED the wildcat w/ dm7 years back with little success, and we couldn’t' get in the damn endzone last year which is why Bell came in, and magically we started to score. Whaley aint barreling his way in the end like that, Bell is huge. I encourage you guys to watch the tape on this kid in highschool. He has a rifle for an arm, but needs snaps like every qb, he will be the starter next year...

ObiKaTony
10/6/2012, 05:31 PM
Yep

Yes! Bell needs some snaps!

Aries
10/6/2012, 06:16 PM
So the two starting RB's grind the ball downfield all game only for our backup QB to clean up the 1 yard runs. What a slap in the face and complete lack of confidence in your RB's. Have they not proven themselves? I know it "works", but reward the guys doing the work, not the guy that comes in for 2 plays.

Screw that, do what works.

I can only remember about 4 plays where Bell didn't get the first down/touchdown. I keep thinking they HAVE to know what's coming and will stop it. Then they don't.

It's a team. I don't care who got the ball to the one yard line. I don't care who gets it in for that matter, as long as he's in crimson and cream.

cleller
10/6/2012, 06:28 PM
Whoever the coaches want to score is fine by me.

jk the sooner fan
10/6/2012, 06:28 PM
i get the sentiment that we ought to be able to pound the ball in with our RB's

frankly i remember hearing the same complaint when we had Kejuan Jones

i wish we had a bruising back that could pound the goal line like everybody wants - but as long as Blake Bell is scoring touchdowns and defenses dont know how to stop it - i say KEEP DOING IT

it works....there's an old saying "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

dont worry about style points - they dont show up on any stat sheet

nighttrain12
10/6/2012, 06:40 PM

Landry needed the snaps though, we've had 2 recent bye weeks.

Tiptonsooner
10/6/2012, 07:22 PM
Belldozer gives you an extra blocker, helps with a weak o-line

StoopTroup
10/6/2012, 07:28 PM

He keeps him in his pocket and lets him out when the pile closes in around him.....lol

So far the refs have never caught him.

kevpks
10/6/2012, 09:35 PM
I can't believe we are still having this conversation. The formation works. First downs. TDs. It works. Find something else to complain about.

soonerloyal
10/6/2012, 09:36 PM
Screw that, do what works..

It's a team. I don't care who got the ball to the one yard line. I don't care who gets it in for that matter, as long as he's in crimson and cream.

That's it in a nutshell.

OUmillenium
10/6/2012, 10:30 PM
Belldozer is awesome

No more

MamaMia
10/6/2012, 11:12 PM
He solved a very big problem we had; a problem that costs us wins. It was very frustrating watching us drive all the way down the field only to be stopped at the goal line, over and over again.

5noubus
10/7/2012, 08:19 AM
We have a huge guy that is smart, usually takes care of the football that can punch it in. USE IT!
Our red zone problems have been going since Sammy. This fixed it.

OU_Sooners75
10/7/2012, 08:24 AM

LMFAO

What slap in the face? If they had attitudes like yours, our team would be in shambles with a bunch of entitlement players. Stoops got rid of those guys already.

Ultimately the goal is to win the game. I can bet you right now, that those guys would much rather help the team win, then worry about personal stats.

I bet you are one of those parents that sees your own child as a great athlete when in reality he isn't. So you bitch and complain when he doesn't play, though he would hamper the team.

jkjsooner
10/7/2012, 08:25 AM

Maybe because the Belldozer formation gives you an extra blocker? Ever thought about that?

Edit: Tipton beat me to it. The point is if Bell were put at RB we'd have Jones handing off and not blocking anybody. That extra blocker helps a lot.

OU_Sooners75
10/7/2012, 08:30 AM
I've never understood it but it works sometimes. He better figure out the playbook and use that rifle arm of his by next year.

I wonder if you seen him play against FAMU. The guy was accurate, physical, and had touch. He was 4 of 5 for 61 yards (12.2 yard/attempt).

I wont say he will be the starter next year. But I wouldn't be surprised if he was.

I can say this much, Allen wont be the starter.

OU_Sooners75
10/7/2012, 08:32 AM
It looks pretty silly to me. Trot another qb out there to basically run a play that the rb should be doing. Either let Landry hand it off or put Bell at running back. Another "cute" little scheme we have over used.

The only damn thing that has been consistent in our offense since Wilson left, and some people are bitching about it!

Maybe you guys should be bitching about our regular offense not being about to score touchdowns from inside the 10 yard line?

Jason White's Third Knee
10/7/2012, 09:42 AM
Face it. Our oline has been hit or miss. We have had defections and injuries. People love to blame LJ but the offense goes as the o line goes. Dont wan to see LJ panic? (scramble would be the appropriate term but people love saying that he panics) Get the line to do the job it is asked to do. Cant run? Get the line to do the job it is asked to do. Troy Aikman sucked when his line was weak.

I don't like watching the Belldozer, but run it until they stop it. The plan is to score more point than the other guy.

CatfishSooner
10/7/2012, 09:48 AM
BELLDOZER!!!!!!!!!!!!! KEEP IT COMIN'!!!

boomermagic
10/7/2012, 10:08 AM

I'd like to see that happen.

BigJerm7
10/7/2012, 10:16 AM
Funny how a post turns in to a personal attack and name calling. Your "bet" is wrong sooner 75, maybe you should find something else to bitch about.

You guys are right. Our backup QB is the only one that deserves to score inside the 10. Screw the RB's that put in the yards, and weren't even part of the problem last year. I like how everyone is so sure we can't score, like every other team in college football.

One4OU
10/7/2012, 10:34 AM
So how do we know our RB cant score? We havent even tried. This was the answer to a problem we did have.

This play is one injury away from a becoming a major setback.

kevpks
10/7/2012, 10:42 AM
Funny how a post turns in to a personal attack and name calling. Your "bet" is wrong sooner 75, maybe you should find something else to bitch about.

You guys are right. Our backup QB is the only one that deserves to score inside the 10. Screw the RB's that put in the yards, and weren't even part of the problem last year. I like how everyone is so sure we can't score, like every other team in college football.

Why complain about something that works? That is my issue. This is a team. The team works hard and deserves to win. Do you think K-State players get their feelings hurt when Klein scores TDs? Did Florida's running backs get their feelings hurt when Tebow was scoring all those TDs? The Belldozer is a huge part of why this team wins and I'm sure we'll still use it if Blake is the starter next year. I'm glad our running backs don't seem to have your mentality, and I'm glad our coaches don't make play calling and personel decisions based on who might get their feelings hurt.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/7/2012, 10:45 AM
It's a good sign when all you have to complain about is the way by which we are successful.

kevpks
10/7/2012, 10:47 AM
We should stop throwing fade routes to Kenny Stills for touchdowns. It is hurting the feelings of our other players.

PS. Is there a board policy to shut down threads with the premise, "I don't like how we score our touchdowns" after a blowout win on the road? In not, I would like to make a motion.

Boomer Mooner
10/7/2012, 10:51 AM
Man, I've seen some whiney *** crybaby fans on here, but whining about who get's to score the TD's on the short and goal has to take the cake. Of all the things you could choose to make a thread about you chose to whine about Bell running in TD's on short and goal?
Losing a NC to Florida because we couldn't punch it in on short yardage was something to bitch about. Getting beat by freakin' Aggie because we couldn't punch it in on short yardage was something to bitch about. Now that short and goal is pretty much a gimme we need to change it up so we don't want to appear unfair?

Taxman71
10/7/2012, 10:54 AM
Do our defensive players whine when they come out on goal line defense after allowing a long drive? Same principle.

BigJerm7
10/7/2012, 10:57 AM
Whiney *** crybaby? I guess I don't have the right to voice my opinion unless I have 25,000 posts without people resorting to name calling or calling me a crappy parent. I guess I should've cleared my thoughts with you guys before I voice my opinion on a free public forum.

kevpks
10/7/2012, 11:05 AM
The premise of this whole thread is so asinine that I am struggling to believe it's real.

hawaii 5-0
10/7/2012, 11:08 AM
I'm for anything that will give us those 1 or 2 yards when needed.

For a long time it was never a given that we could convert.

Now the percentage is probably up in the 80's.

5-0

agoo758
10/7/2012, 11:57 AM
Whiney *** crybaby? I guess I don't have the right to voice my opinion unless I have 25,000 posts without people resorting to name calling or calling me a crappy parent. I guess I should've cleared my thoughts with you guys before I voice my opinion on a free public forum.

You have the right to voice your opinions, but you will be called for them if they are dumb like this, just like the intelligent posters on this board will call out anyone who suggests that Wilson and venables arn't below average coordinators.

OU_Sooners75
10/7/2012, 01:41 PM

Your "concerns" with the belldozer are about as stupid as your first post.

You want to reward a player...great. But the win is the highest reward you can give any player(s).

Why do you think they put that package into their offensive system to begin with?

Maybe because the redzone, in particular inside the 10 yard line, the offense was not scoring touchdowns consistently enough?

I mean, we passed the ball all the way down the field, then give the ball to our backs and they couldnt punch it in.

You go ask any of these guys that you think are getting their feelings hurt about the belldozer package, I bet you would be pleasantly (well in your case unpleasantly) surprised about how they feel. I would bet my house that they say they would rather the offense score and get a win, instead of them getting 5 touchdowns per game.

OU_Sooners75
10/7/2012, 01:52 PM

1. no one called you a crappy parent. Someone (me) said with the attitude you brought to this thread, you are probably one of those parents that whine and cry if your child doesnt get the playing time or even on the team.

2. since this is a message board, try growing some thicker skin.

3. this board might be free, but it is in no way just a "piblic" forum like you think it is. Its a free forum, but privately owned.

4. You have every right to state your opinion, just make sure you have something to back up your opinion, other than thinking some players may be getting screwed because they worked hard to get inside the 10 only not to score.

yermom
10/7/2012, 02:01 PM
i get the sentiment that we ought to be able to pound the ball in with our RB's

frankly i remember hearing the same complaint when we had Kejuan Jones

i wish we had a bruising back that could pound the goal line like everybody wants - but as long as Blake Bell is scoring touchdowns and defenses dont know how to stop it - i say KEEP DOING IT

it works....there's an old saying "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

dont worry about style points - they dont show up on any stat sheet

Q would drive us down the field and all Kejuan had to do was score from the 2. meh.

there was a little bitching then too. :D

we seem to have incorporated more formations with 2 FBs though as well. and giving the ball to Millard on occasion makes that work even better... really, our offense, has seemed to change a lot in the last 2 weeks, but the Belldozer doesn't seem like it's quite the given in short and goal line situations that it was at the end of last year.

i wasn't sure why he was running to end the game last night though. that seemed a bit much.

SoonerObsession
10/7/2012, 02:21 PM
It would be nice if we didn't have to resort to different personnel, but if our running backs want to score the td's then maybe they should do it from the 5-10 yard line. Maybe that's some motivation for them to get it in the endzone when they have a chance. I love to see Blake Bell come in looking like Steve Owens running the ball. I can't wait to see when he draws everyone up to the line only to pass it to a wide open tight end though!

BigJerm7
10/8/2012, 03:44 PM
Why do you think they put that package into their offensive system to begin with?

Maybe because the redzone, in particular inside the 10 yard line, the offense was not scoring touchdowns consistently enough?

My bad. I thought that was last year. Didn't know the problem automatically carried over to this year. How is everyone so sure we can't score without anyone other than our backup QB?

This wishbone worked too. Maybe we should bring that back.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/8/2012, 04:17 PM
Point being, WHY when you know what you did last year works, it's ran by the guy that's gonna take the reins, and puts points on the board?

If we could guarantee six from every red zone drive by Bob Stoops giving Switzer a handski on the 50 yard line, then by God, shield your child's eyes because Bob needs to lube 'er up.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/8/2012, 04:20 PM
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/114994/thread-is-gay_medium.jpg

kevpks
10/8/2012, 04:37 PM
My bad. I thought that was last year. Didn't know the problem automatically carried over to this year. How is everyone so sure we can't score without anyone other than our backup QB?

I have not resorted to the name calling you have been complaining about. However, why does it matter how we score? Did you even enjoy that victory over Tech for a minute before finding this non-issue to complain about? I don't know that the running backs can't score. Maybe they could. What I do know is that the Belldozer works.

On 3rd and goal at the two this week, would you rather run a play that has been proven successful with this personnel grouping or would you rather use an unproven formation and play? Your answer seems to be the latter because you want to play team psychologist and make sure all the running backs are feeling good about our play calling. You've expressed your view and unless you're up for more ridicule, just let it go dude.

OU_Sooners75
10/8/2012, 04:49 PM

Okay, now this is down right the dumbest post I have read about this subject. Sorry.

If memory serves correctly (I would look it up if I wasn't on my phone), OU struggled inside the redzone vs. UTEP. The offense also struggled in the redzone vs. KSU.

That said, why stop doing something if it works?

Would you go fix something (anything) if it was working?

I can only recall 4-5 times that the belldozer didn't work. Two of them were passes. One was a fumble. And two was for first downs that we failed one the first try.

Pretty damn successful if you ask me.

Let me ask you this...

If OU ran their regular offense everytime in side the 10 yard line, or one short yardage downs, and they didn't get it, would you be pissing and moaning about not using the belldozer?

I'm sure you would be!

SoonerLaw09
10/8/2012, 05:01 PM
I'm so flummoxed that this thread even exists I can't think of any witty repartee.

You're complaining...about the team...scoring touchdowns. Process that for a while before you post again.

Breadburner
10/8/2012, 05:30 PM
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/114994/thread-is-gay_medium.jpg

Butt Dozer....????

StoopTroup
10/8/2012, 05:34 PM
I wonder if you seen him play against FAMU. The guy was accurate, physical, and had touch. He was 4 of 5 for 61 yards (12.2 yard/attempt).

I wont say he will be the starter next year. But I wouldn't be surprised if he was.

I can say this much, Allen wont be the starter.

I saw him. I guess you forgot that I actually go to the games and rarely leave until the clock reads 0:00.

It was the 4th against FAMU's 3rd string and was very impressive. :rolls eyes:
I also DVR the games and/or watch replays.

C&CDean
10/8/2012, 05:36 PM
Let's see, we score every ****ing time he touches the ball and you bitch? In my own infamous words "I bet you bitch when you cum."

StoopTroup
10/8/2012, 05:37 PM
How crude....lol. ;)

OU_Sooners75
10/8/2012, 08:19 PM
I saw him. I guess you forgot that I actually go to the games and rarely leave until the clock reads 0:00.

It was the 4th against FAMU's 3rd string and was very impressive. :rolls eyes:
I also DVR the games and/or watch replays.

Well then, I guess being pretty precise is just a thing you can do against scrubs....oh wait. Throwing accurately can be done against anyone if you can throw accurately.

Gee....no one said he had all world stats. It was pointed out that he was accurate in his passes.

But don't let ignorance get in your way.

IslandSooner
10/8/2012, 09:29 PM
If the Belldozer (our guarenteed touchdown) doesn't FUMBLE against KSU, we win that game..... But before you guys beat the sh@t out of me, I enjoy watching us score touchdowns with this formation...... It would be nice to be able to score from inside the 10 with a few other formations other than the Belldozer..... but appearently we can't so the Belldozer ROCKS :-)

kevpks
10/8/2012, 09:57 PM
If the Belldozer (our guarenteed touchdown) doesn't FUMBLE against KSU, we win that game..... But before you guys beat the sh@t out of me, I enjoy watching us score touchdowns with this formation...... It would be nice to be able to score from inside the 10 with a few other formations other than the Belldozer..... but appearently we can't so the Belldozer ROCKS :-)

I didn't see a lot of people saying it was guaranteed. Running backs fumble too sometimes. That's an execution error, and a rare one at that. Our red zone problems were much more severe than an isolated fumble, as you seem to acknowledge.

IslandSooner
10/8/2012, 10:03 PM
Sorry, I was referring to Dean stating that we score EVERY time HE touches the ball??? Not Dean, the Belldozer...:-) lol

SCOUT
10/8/2012, 10:27 PM
This thread...wow...I don't know where to start. Most of the obvious points have been made. Success is success. Why would you change something that is wildly successful?

One additional point to add to this monstrosity. How many of our backs are 6' 6" and 260?

IslandSooner
10/8/2012, 10:29 PM
Great point...

Blue
10/8/2012, 11:01 PM
Me likey the Belldozer. So...

StoopTroup
10/9/2012, 02:18 AM
Well then, I guess being pretty precise is just a thing you can do against scrubs....oh wait. Throwing accurately can be done against anyone if you can throw accurately.

Gee....no one said he had all world stats. It was pointed out that he was accurate in his passes.

But don't let ignorance get in your way.

OK Tim, I understand your need to be right, but Blake wasn't under any pressure. It's not like we were playing KSU, fexas or even Tech and he was having to come in and win the game because LJ had gotten hurt. He's getting some snaps like he had in a few other games and isn't having to use his legs. He got the blessing to run the offense instead of go in and take a knee. He was recruited to be a QB, so it shouldn't be to much of a surprise that he made a few plays with his arm. It's why he's our back up.

Ignorance only lies in the brain that thinks he's ready to start. I've seen him in warm ups, the R&W games and taking a few snap in games. I've seen him when he's not precise and obviously we aren't looking for QBs who are worse than Landry, we are looking for a QB that can really be a threat every time he touches the ball. If you think he's ready...great. I think he's got a long way to go before he's ready to be our Starting QB. Should LJ get hurt, we will more than likely get to see just how accurate he is. Till then...the only ignorance is thinking he can when there's really not much proof that he really can.

WA. Sooner
10/9/2012, 03:25 AM
Put him in as one of the backs in the diamond formation. Hand off with a pass run option.

sendbaht
10/9/2012, 05:22 AM
I like the Belldozer...I hope we use it 10 times for ten TD VS texas this weekend!!!

jk the sooner fan
10/9/2012, 06:15 AM
I understand your need to be right

irony be thy name?

do you know people that have a need to be wrong?

Sooner70
10/9/2012, 06:29 AM
Whatever it takes to get first downs in third/fourth & short and/or win the game. Belldozer seems to work in the great percentage of time, so-so be it. I'm not going to second guess Stoops' coaching/strategy on this. The proof is in the pudding, and generally it's a pretty sure thing, so why not stick with it? The extra blocker & the ability to minimize fumble chances with one less exchange at a critical point would seem to be factors. Even when everybody in the stadium knows it's going to be a run thru the line, he seems to get the needed yardage most of the time.

What I'm wondering on his plays.....wonder if they give him latitude on which way to go, or it's predetermined? Seems like when he gets the ball, he sorta looks around & picks & chooses the holes, where ever they materialize.

Ruf/Nek7
10/9/2012, 06:39 AM
The reason we can lineup in the Belldozer and be successfule despite defenses knowing what's coming is because of all the variations of the scheme. My particular favorite is when they have two fullbacks who eventually shift to the strong side making it look as though we are going to muscle it in yet on the snap the two FBs pull weak side kicking out first person and Bell jab steps strong and follows his blocks into the endzone weak side. Defenses also have to respect the pass. The only way the Belldozer pass works is if Bell rolls out wide to attract the corners and Backers. Advantage WR on a safety in open field.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/9/2012, 08:21 AM
What I'm wondering on his plays.....wonder if they give him latitude on which way to go, or it's predetermined? Seems like when he gets the ball, he sorta looks around & picks & chooses the holes, where ever they materialize.

Both. It's set up a lot like a zone read. I guess technically it IS a zone read. When they sent him on the sweep, that was predetermined with blocking to set it up. In the usual B gap lead they do, the pause is for timing and for blocks to set, and then go find daylight. But I've seen him hit it without the pause, which makes me believe they have at least eight different variations of the same play where they hit it strong and weak lead, weak trap, strong zone, the sweep look we saw against Tech where they could go lead and load, and the same B gap looks but C gap off-tackle.

FirstandGoal
10/9/2012, 09:19 AM
I'm so flummoxed that this thread even exists I can't think of any witty repartee.

You're complaining...about the team...scoring touchdowns. Process that for a while before you post again.

This is pretty much my opinion of this thread.

Oh, and welcome back, Dean.

BoulderSooner79
10/9/2012, 09:32 AM
The only issue I had with Bell's TD (I think the first one) is that LJ got screwed. That pass to Brown was a TD that was ruled incomplete. He hit the ground with full possession in bounds, and the DB raked the ball out afterwards. It was a quick event, but I was surprised that Stoops didn't use his challenge. Since the booth is supposed to review every play, Stoops probably figured (rightly) he would lose his challenge. It turned out for the better since we scored on that drive as we got to pound their defense for more plays, but LJ should have had 3 TDs for the game.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/9/2012, 11:24 AM
Wait, you're surprised Stoops didn't challenge because it was clearly a touchdown but didn't because he "rightly" figured he wouldn't get the touchdown?

I don't get it.

BoulderSooner79
10/9/2012, 11:29 AM
Wait, you're surprised Stoops didn't challenge because it was clearly a touchdown but didn't because he "rightly" figured he wouldn't get the touchdown?

I don't get it.

Yeah, definitely unclear - it was a second thought as I typed. The booth has plenty of time to look at a long pass like that, especially if it's a score. IF they didn't buzz down, they probably rule against a challenge and we were burning time outs as it was. I still think it was the wrong call, but not a terrible one. It was a nice throw by LJ.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/9/2012, 11:43 AM
I gotcha now.

Yeah, bad call. No brainer bad call. In my opinion, had it been challenged there'd be no other choice excepting an Oregonian caliber screwin' but to overturn the call. It's all hindsight, but time outs or no, that's 6 on the board. You challenge that call. Not for Landry's sake, not to prove a point, but to put 6 on the board. The rest of the drive wasn't a given at that point.

Maybe they were feeling a groove. Knew they had something on the field they could take advantage of. Maybe they just didn't give a rip. I don't know. Had it been me, were the play challenge-able (I would assume it is), yeah, I do just that.

BoulderSooner79
10/9/2012, 11:57 AM
I gotcha now.

Yeah, bad call. No brainer bad call. In my opinion, had it been challenged there'd be no other choice excepting an Oregonian caliber screwin' but to overturn the call. It's all hindsight, but time outs or no, that's 6 on the board. You challenge that call. Not for Landry's sake, not to prove a point, but to put 6 on the board. The rest of the drive wasn't a given at that point.

Maybe they were feeling a groove. Knew they had something on the field they could take advantage of. Maybe they just didn't give a rip. I don't know. Had it been me, were the play challenge-able (I would assume it is), yeah, I do just that.

Could be the coaches upstairs just didn't get a good look in time - it was definitely challengable. I would have challenged given the view we got on TV.

OU_Sooners75
10/9/2012, 04:15 PM
OK Tim, I understand your need to be right, but Blake wasn't under any pressure. It's not like we were playing KSU, fexas or even Tech and he was having to come in and win the game because LJ had gotten hurt. He's getting some snaps like he had in a few other games and isn't having to use his legs. He got the blessing to run the offense instead of go in and take a knee. He was recruited to be a QB, so it shouldn't be to much of a surprise that he made a few plays with his arm. It's why he's our back up.

Ignorance only lies in the brain that thinks he's ready to start. I've seen him in warm ups, the R&W games and taking a few snap in games. I've seen him when he's not precise and obviously we aren't looking for QBs who are worse than Landry, we are looking for a QB that can really be a threat every time he touches the ball. If you think he's ready...great. I think he's got a long way to go before he's ready to be our Starting QB. Should LJ get hurt, we will more than likely get to see just how accurate he is. Till then...the only ignorance is thinking he can when there's really not much proof that he really can.

Again, where does pressure fit into the conversation?

You are trying to discredit a kids performance that goes against your opinion. I don't give a **** if I'm right or wrong. The point is he was very accurate in his first game getting mop up duty running the regular offense against a scrub team.

I got to see him play vs. McPhserson, KS in the playoffs his Junior year of HS. The kid not only has a cannon, but he also is pretty damn accurate.

When he went to the Nike 11 camp (a camp strictly for the top 11 QBs senior recruits), he did very well. Wasn't the greatest of camps for him, but he wasn't terrible either.

Yes he threw a coupke of duds from the belldozer package. But in spring games and his only true mop up game, he has done very well. There is a reason the coaching staff has put him ahead of Drew Allen and the others not named Landry Jones.

Does this mean he will start next year? IDK. But it does mean the coaches obviously have enough faith in him to get the job done if something happens to LJ this year.

So keep discrediting him. But the kid is a damn good QB!

Statalyzer
10/9/2012, 04:35 PM
So how do we know our RB cant score?

All I know is that as Texas fan I'd rather see Williams, Whaley, Clay, or Finch carrying the ball on 3rd and goal from the 2 than I would Bell. Not that I'd have feel assured in stopping any of those guys either, but if they were in the game in that situation I'd be thinking "whew, glad it's not Bell back there".

SoonerinSouthlake
10/9/2012, 09:27 PM
SERIOUSLY!?!!?? why is this even a question. This, apparently annoying and insulting, formation is almost unstoppable for 3-5 yards. Someone may be able to dispute that if you have percentages that say otherwise, but I doubt it.

OUmillenium
10/9/2012, 10:58 PM
What if we had the Belldozer in 08 v Florida?

thecrimsoncrusader
10/10/2012, 06:14 AM
What if we had the Belldozer in 08 v Florida?

We all know the answer to that and it isn't speculative, it's a matter of physics and Oklahoma wins. It also really sucked not to have Murray on offense and Reynolds (or Box) on defense in that game.

BigJerm7
1/7/2013, 01:34 PM
Is this formation still working? Are we allowed to have this conversation now? Or should I just blame Stoops?

OkieThunderLion
1/7/2013, 01:37 PM
It's not that he's so good, it's that you have 10 blockers when the QB is carrying the ball.

OkieThunderLion
1/7/2013, 01:38 PM
Is this formation still working? Are we allowed to have this conversation now? Or should I just blame Stoops?
I believe it's still very effective. It's too bad it didn't work on those two plays by the goalline, but that hasn't been the norm.

jk the sooner fan
1/7/2013, 02:33 PM

if you had to guesstimate the success rate of that formation/play - what do you think it would be? anytime Bell came out - be it 3d and 1 from the 40, or 4th and 1 from the 2

my second question would be - is there any play in football that is 100% successful?

i'll take your answers off the air.....

BigJerm7
1/7/2013, 03:08 PM
The gig is up. Teams are figuring out how to stop it. Especially when you say "Hey, we are gonna run this play".

No play is 100% successful, but when you take away the element of surprise, you'll be 99% not successful.

And prior to Belldozer coming in on the goalline, Damian Williams was 7 yards successful to the 1. If you line up in a normal formation, I'm guessing he could've scored from the 1, because the other team would've had to guess what play they were going to run.

jkjsooner
1/7/2013, 03:15 PM
Edit. Just responded to an old post with a response similar to one I posted two months ago.

BigJerm7
1/7/2013, 03:17 PM
We are the only team in the Nation that does this. All the other ones have seemed to figure it out how to get a yard here and there.

OkieThunderLion
1/7/2013, 03:23 PM
No play is 100% successful, but when you take away the element of surprise, you'll be 99% not successful.
Your grasp on percentages is awful.

OkieThunderLion
1/7/2013, 03:29 PM
We are the only team in the Nation that does this. All the other ones have seemed to figure it out how to get a yard here and there.
Are you paying much attention? That in-state school to the north did it also.

OU was 11th in the nation in redzone offense.

I'm sorry it didn't work out on those two plays that failed on Friday, certainly sucked, but this topic is so far from being a primary concern, it's ridiculous.

prrriiide
1/8/2013, 06:44 AM
All the other ones have seemed to figure it out how to get a yard here and there.

It';s called recruiting good OL players, coaching them adequately, and not running them off in the weight room. A concept that seems to have escaped this staff for half a decade or so.

BigJerm7
1/8/2013, 11:18 AM
Are you paying much attention? That in-state school to the north did it also.

OU was 11th in the nation in redzone offense.

I'm sorry it didn't work out on those two plays that failed on Friday, certainly sucked, but this topic is so far from being a primary concern, it's ridiculous.

The school to the north did it a handful of times.

It failed more than two times this season, are you paying much attention? I'm trying to find where I said it was my primary concern, can you help me?

The main point I'm trying to make is the coaching staff needs to get to the root of the problem. The Belldozer is just a temporary solution in my opinion.

basel90
1/8/2013, 11:24 AM
Stoops offensive philosophy is not to have his starting qb scrambling or running with the ball, so as not to get hurt.. That's why the lack of our qb mobility

SouthFortySooner
1/8/2013, 12:59 PM
No whine or boohaha from me. I'm excited to see them play with Bell or whoever.

BigJerm7
11/8/2013, 09:37 AM
bump. still sticking to my original post.

3rd and goal from the 1, belldozer fail.

4th and goal from the 1, next play, belldozer fail.

embarrassing.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/8/2013, 09:49 AM
bump. still sticking to my original post.

3rd and goal from the 1, belldozer fail.

4th and goal from the 1, next play, belldozer fail.

embarrassing.

You're not getting the fact that there is a HUGE difference between the 2013 offensive line and the 2008 offensive line.

Aries
11/8/2013, 09:52 AM

In all fairness, that wasn't the point of your original post.

Then, the point was it's not fair, which is ridiculous.

Your point now seems to be that it's not working so well, which is valid.

Not the same argument, at all.

dennis580
11/8/2013, 10:49 AM
I miss the days when the belldozer was almost unstoppable. Those days seem so far away.

BigJerm7
11/8/2013, 11:22 AM
Internet = serious literal business.

I'm glad there are people who can tell me what my point was and is.

Aries
11/8/2013, 11:34 AM
All I have to go by is what you said.

ddub0224
11/8/2013, 01:37 PM
I miss the days when the belldozer was almost unstoppable. Those days seem so far away.
Crazy to think that after 2 years teams might figure out how to defend it.