PDA

View Full Version : In almost 40 years of watching Sooner Football........

cortezsooner
10/6/2012, 03:22 PM
.....there have been era's that I can't wait till they end.

The Gibbs era, John Blake era, the 90's era in general, ect. For me the Landry Jones era rates right up there with the rest. :)

Nice kid I'm sure, but a VERY AVERAGE player. Probably below average if pressured at all.

I'm sure I'm going to get flamed all to heck for this one, but it's just how I've felt for probably 3 years now.

Petro-Sooner
10/6/2012, 03:33 PM
I pretty much agree. Big ***** can't run the ball for a few yards. I guess they have to put that other yahoo in.

StoopTroup
10/6/2012, 03:34 PM
Everyone has a meltdown sooner or later....

Your's came after 17 posts.

Nice job. Now you can get your sh*t together and bOUnce back.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/6/2012, 03:34 PM
There have been more national championships won by "average" QBs than excellent ones. What you are really blaming Landry for is the lack of talent at almost every other position and at a couple of coaching spots.

StoopTroup
10/6/2012, 03:36 PM
There have been more national championships won by "average" QBs than excellent ones. What you are really blaming Landry for is the lack of talent at almost every other position and at a couple of coaching spots.

Exactly. I'm sure it was Landry's fault for Metoyer and Brown both not holding onto the ball....

cortezsooner
10/6/2012, 03:38 PM
Everyone has a meltdown sooner or later....

Your's came after 17 posts.

Nice job. Now you can get your sh*t together and bOUnce back.

Lol.....Relax stud. Like I said, just my feelings.

I'm 100% Stoops knows what's good for his team, I don't. I'll just be glad to see someone else taking snaps again.

I've said for 3 years now that OU would not compete for a National Championship until that happened....was I correct on that? Yes I was.....

And yes this team is lacking in a lot of spots, but it's been lacking at the QB spot since Sam Bradford's shoulder hit the ground in the BYU game.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/6/2012, 03:44 PM

I'm 100% Stoops knows what's good for his team, I don't. I'll just be glad to see someone else taking snaps again.

I've said for 3 years now that OU would not compete for a National Championship until that happened....was I correct on that? Yes I was.....

And yes this team is lacking in a lot of spots, but it's been lacking at the QB spot since Sam Bradford's shoulder hit the ground in the BYU game.

Wow, what a prediction. Next you are going to say that Pepperdine isn't going to compete for a National Title for the next 10 years.

cortezsooner
10/6/2012, 04:07 PM
Wow, what a prediction. Next you are going to say that Pepperdine isn't going to compete for a National Title for the next 10 years.

Actually not true. Each of the past 3 three years some of the college expert picked the Sooners to be in the hunt for the Championship. I'm quite certain Pepperdine wasn't picked by anyone.

goingoneight
10/6/2012, 04:14 PM
Cortez, I'm pretty sure 2010 was two horrid defensive ans special teams performances away from playing for a National Championship.

And you know what? I could say something like "OU will never play for a National Championship with Blake Bell at QB" and odds are I'd be right three years from now-- even if BB ends up being better than Landry and Sam. It's a team sport and this program has had just as many meltdowns by players not named Landry as it has Landry if not WAY more. The names Brandon Crow, Javon Harris and Gabe Lynn immediately come to mind.

StoopTroup
10/6/2012, 04:20 PM

It's cool to see you go out on a limb.....The only Team anyone has thought would compete for a MNC is Alabama or a SEC Team.

As far as things you have said on this board in the last 3 years...I see this...

I know I'll hear it for this one, but I've been a fan for most of 45 years, so I have an opinion.

I feel like the Sooners have a good enough team to make a run at the BCS Title this year, but I...

Your Christmas List that didn't get completely filled....

1) Landry Jones declare for NFL Draft
2) Brent Venables fired
3) Mike Stoops (See #2)

Did I miss anything?

This that wasn't posted until February...

Actually, that's one of the main reasons we probably won't be in the hunt next year........

And the BS you posted today.

Again...you got your meltdown in today.

normanx
10/6/2012, 04:23 PM
With you Cortez. He just doesn't have "IT". Any one that says he does is kidding themselves.

cortezsooner
10/6/2012, 04:25 PM
Again, been waiting for this era to end. My personal feelings, not everyone will agree. I promise you, a lot will.

cortezsooner
10/6/2012, 04:30 PM
It's cool to see you go out on a limb.....The only Team anyone has thought would compete for a MNC is Alabama or a SEC Team.

As far as things you have said on this board in the last 3 years...I see this...

Your Christmas List that didn't get completely filled....

This that wasn't posted until February...

And the BS you posted today.

Again...you got your meltdown in today.

And by the way, In a roundabout way I got everything on that Christmas list except #1! Which was #1 for a reason!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/6/2012, 04:31 PM
With you Cortez. He just doesn't have "IT". Any one that says he does is kidding themselves.

holy crap, 90% of the team doesn't have "It". Outside of Colvin, DD Williams, and a bunch of freshman, name one player that you see that has been making play after play. (Sadly Jefferson isn't on this list because he's been beaten into a pulp stopping the run in the first 3 games).

StoopTroup
10/6/2012, 04:34 PM
And by the way, In a roundabout way I got everything on that Christmas list except #1! Which was #1 for a reason!

Be careful what you wish for....

Mike is sucking balls this year and Landry had a pretty decent half.

If you want to come back after the Season....We will all be here. Maybe you can even get more involved after the Era is over and get 17 posts in next Season...

Stud.

cortezsooner
10/6/2012, 04:37 PM
Be careful what you wish for....

Mike is sucking balls this year and Lndry had a pretty decent half.

If you want to come back after the Season....We will all be here. Maybe you can even get more involved after the Era is over and get 17 posts in next Season...

Stud.

True that! Got #2 and #3 on the list and that's not looking so good! Lol..

StoopTroup
10/6/2012, 04:37 PM
BTW....Jones to Williams...

Almost a TD.

Beautiful

missann
10/6/2012, 04:40 PM
Agree with OP; even got banned last year for it. But seriously, I couldn't even get excited about the season b/c I knew we'd be anemic again. Here's to next year.

StoopTroup
10/6/2012, 04:42 PM
Agree with OP; even got banned last year for it. But seriously, I couldn't even get excited about the season b/c I knew we'd be anemic again. Here's to next year.

31-13 OU

SanJoaquinSooner
10/6/2012, 04:50 PM

He has the arm, but too often doesn't show decision making skills under pressure. If we had had an Alabama-stout defense, he'd be good enough.

StoopTroup
10/6/2012, 04:50 PM

missann....

38-13....against the number one defense in fantasyland. You know....where you live.

missann
10/6/2012, 05:34 PM
missann....

38-13....against the number one defense in fantasyland. You know....where you live.

Really? It's TTech. And you updated the score on a defensive TD.

As a Sooner, I know you're not pounding your chest over a win against an unranked opponent. We're supposed to win and win consistently - even dominate. We're OU; it shouldn't be this hard.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/6/2012, 06:01 PM
Really? It's TTech. And you updated the score on a defensive TD.

As a Sooner, I know you're not pounding your chest over a win against an unranked opponent. We're supposed to win and win consistently - even dominate. We're OU; it shouldn't be this hard.

The problem here is that you are laying blame on one player for not overcoming the weaknesses of his team. You sound like all of the people in 2001 who blasted Nate Hybl when the OL was a sieve and we needed 3 guys to block 1 opposing player. Landry is what he is, but no other QB is going to magically overcome our soft as Charmin defensive middle. Any GOOD team we face is just going to gouge us defensively and put more pressure on Landry to get it done.

You then trot out examples of OU QBs who COULDN'T GET IT DONE. Newsflash: Sam Bradford has ZERO national championships.

OU_Sooners75
10/6/2012, 06:09 PM
He isn't bad. But he does seem to panic to easily. Today though we saw the good landry jones! He stepped into the pocket better and didn't flush the pocket when pressured.

Today is the type of game he needs to have every day, every game!

cleller
10/6/2012, 06:31 PM
He was good today. I'll admit he's prone to bug-outs, but I think right now he gives us our best chance to win. At least that must be the case, because I'm confident Bob is on top of the situation.

StoopTroup
10/6/2012, 06:38 PM
People love to focus on the things a guy does wrong but today and IMO the K-State Game....it wasn't panic. He fumbled once and threw one INT. That shouldn't have cost us the game. Today our WRs dropped a bunch of his passes that hit them in the hands. If anything and I'll keep on saying this. You can't keep a guy like Landry comfortable in the pocket bringing back one WR he has trust in. Stills is still no Broyles. This year we lost Miller and Jaz Reynolds.

It's amazing today to see Brown, Shepard and Metoyer take the heat off of Stills. I think things will get better and I really hope we kick that crap out of bevo Saturday.

I'm really happy to see the Defense not only do better but when one guy is having a bad day....there was someone to step up.

I'm encOUraged by this win.

Jacie
10/6/2012, 06:42 PM
After 7 years on soonerfans.com . . . i am ready for the cortez era to be over.

StoopTroup
10/6/2012, 06:44 PM
ROTFLMFAO!

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/clapping/riker.gif

missann
10/6/2012, 08:10 PM
The problem here is that you are laying blame on one player for not overcoming the weaknesses of his team. You sound like all of the people in 2001 who blasted Nate Hybl when the OL was a sieve and we needed 3 guys to block 1 opposing player. Landry is what he is, but no other QB is going to magically overcome our soft as Charmin defensive middle. Any GOOD team we face is just going to gouge us defensively and put more pressure on Landry to get it done.

You then trot out examples of OU QBs who COULDN'T GET IT DONE. Newsflash: Sam Bradford has ZERO national championships.

No, I'm saying Landry is inconsistent, and a relatively weak link given OU's goals. I know other positions need work, but the QB can't be blameless - especially for 4 years (Did Sam even get to start for 4 years?). If you're pressured, get rid of the ball in less than 4 seconds, roll out of the pocket, tuck the ball and run. Yes, you'll be sacked sometimes, fumble, throw INTs, but be aggressive.

I also know Sam has no titles; neither does JW. Vince Young was a few seconds from not having one. Doesn't matter. They had "it" and you always knew the team had a chance, even with scattered deficiencies.

SOONER44EVER
10/6/2012, 08:29 PM
So I guess our "average" qb will hold nearly every passing record at OU.

StoopTroup
10/6/2012, 08:32 PM
So I guess our "average" qb will hold nearly every passing record at OU.

As long as they don't read the Stats they don't have to accept it exists....

8timechamps
10/6/2012, 08:41 PM
Landry looked good today. Not "average". Anyone that can't admit that is kidding themselves.

Seriously, Landry played his best game since Broyles ACL got blown apart. He looked sharp today. Looked in-sync with his receivers. Didn't seem to depend on one guy (Stills). Stayed patient and took what the defense gave him until the deep ball opened. And most important, he didn't try to force anything and he didn't panic. Today, LJ looked like a 5th year senior.

I can understand the criticism LJ has taken (to a degree), but if you're going to rip on him for his poor play, at least acknowledge the things he does good. Besides, like him or not, he's not going anywhere until after the season.

RahOkU
10/6/2012, 08:43 PM
Playmakers can come from ANY position. QB doesn't always have to be the playmaker as long as you get the ball in the hands of the playmakers.

LJ does fine doing this......

SOONER44EVER
10/6/2012, 08:47 PM
I'll bet there will be a lot of people missing our "average" qb next year. IMO we don't have a qb on campus that's anywhere near as good as Landry. Apparently the coaching staff agrees with me. :)

SoonerorLater
10/6/2012, 08:48 PM
People love to focus on the things a guy does wrong but today and IMO the K-State Game....it wasn't panic. He fumbled once and threw one INT. That shouldn't have cost us the game. Today our WRs dropped a bunch of his passes that hit them in the hands. If anything and I'll keep on saying this. You can't keep a guy like Landry comfortable in the pocket bringing back one WR he has trust in. Stills is still no Broyles. This year we lost Miller and Jaz Reynolds.

It's amazing today to see Brown, Shepard and Metoyer take the heat off of Stills. I think things will get better and I really hope we kick that crap out of bevo Saturday.

I'm really happy to see the Defense not only do better but when one guy is having a bad day....there was someone to step up.

I'm encOUraged by this win.

I've been a Landry critic by in large. No doubt about it today was the "good Landry Jones" showing up. Maybe somebody can tell me what the difference was between today and the KSU game. Even when Landry was pressured today he stepped up or bought time and made fundamentally sound plays. Made solid throws. Under similar pressure against KSU the wheels came off. Sometimes I'm not sure if Landry Jones needs a great coach or a great sports psychologist.

StoopTroup
10/6/2012, 08:53 PM
Field position

A week off for our team with tape to watch of us playing a very good team....

Everyone knows the K-State loss was a Team loss.

I think today showed that a loss like KSU might have been what we need to wake up the Team and pull it together.

I think he needs people to get off his ***.

RahOkU
10/6/2012, 08:53 PM
I've been a Landry critic by in large. No doubt about it today was the "good Landry Jones" showing up. Maybe somebody can tell me what the difference was between today and the KSU game. Even when Landry was pressured today he stepped up or bought time and made fundamentally sound plays. Made solid throws. Under similar pressure against KSU the wheels came off. Sometimes I'm not sure if Landry Jones needs a great coach or a great sports psychologist.
Mistakes were the difference.

Most didn't see the positive drives vs. KSU. When you drive the length of the field, then give up a fumble at the 1. And you give KSU and easy TD based on a fumble, then its hard to come back and win.

There were a couple of plays that made the difference between win and loss.

We didn't see that today, and quite frankly is a rare occurrence over the career of LJ.....

King Crimson
10/6/2012, 08:55 PM
i'll just sort of predict 365 days from now, Landry is going to look a lot better tomorrow than now to some....

week before Texas.

Landry has some head-scratching moments for sure but he's a very good college QB. he's not josh heupel or jason white or sam....maybe....but those guys won the heisman and if josh didn't he deserved it more than JW and SB...and that balding clown that did win it in 2000.

8timechamps
10/6/2012, 08:58 PM

There's really something to this. I've thought for a while that Landry beats Landry. For Landry, his struggles are mental. I think losing Broyles really did a number on him, and I'm hoping that he's finally able to feel comfortable with several guys around him. He also looked like a leader today. I saw him getting into the faces of a couple of guys and it seemed like he had more to say on the sidelines. Maybe that's normal, and they just showed it more on TV today, but I liked it.

RahOkU
10/6/2012, 08:59 PM
i'll just sort of predict 365 days from now, Landry is going to look a lot better then than now to some....

week before Texas.

Landry has some head-scratching moments but he's a very good college QB. he's not josh heupel or jason white or sam....maybe....
Gray matter is the difference between LJ and the 2 QBs you mentioned.

Landry has as good, if not better in some cases, skills than the other 2 QB, but his decision making isn't always the best. I think he is actually trying to force plays too often. Even today, he through into a lot of coverage and was lucky to not get picked off a time or two....

King Crimson
10/6/2012, 09:01 PM
There's really something to this. I've thought for a while that Landry beats Landry. For Landry, his struggles are mental. I think losing Broyles really did a number on him, and I'm hoping that he's finally able to feel comfortable with several guys around him. He also looked like a leader today. I saw him getting into the faces of a couple of guys and it seemed like he had more to say on the sidelines. Maybe that's normal, and they just showed it more on TV today, but I liked it.

i've always joked with a CU buddy of mine there's a good landry/bad landry thing. npt really a joke and not really funny.

8timechamps
10/6/2012, 09:05 PM
i've always joked with a CU buddy of mine there's a good landry/bad landry thing. npt really a joke and not really funny.

I have a similar (non)joke with one of my sons, we say that there's going to be a "Landry moment" in every game. Not today though.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
10/6/2012, 09:31 PM
Again, been waiting for this era to end. My personal feelings, not everyone will agree. I promise you, a lot will.

Hey Dork, the Sooners just won by 3 td's on the road where no one said we could. Get a grip.

StoopTroup
10/6/2012, 10:11 PM
i'll just sort of predict 365 days from now, Landry is going to look a lot better tomorrow than now to some....

week before Texas.

Landry has some head-scratching moments for sure but he's a very good college QB. he's not josh heupel or jason white or sam....maybe....but those guys won the heisman and if josh didn't he deserved it more than JW and SB...and that balding clown that did win it in 2000.

You know....Folks have said awful things about Landry and they toss it out like his stats don't count. Sam Bradford was my personal favorite QB ever at OU. He didn't play nearly as long as Landry and his injury forced Landry to play before he was ready. Josh Huepel was a JUCO Transfer that was just the perfect guy for us. He was Coach-able and could do nearly everything the Coaches asked of him. He has become a really great Coach due to his Father's tutelage and his short stint at Miami before getting injured in pre-season as well as his Coaching TE's at Arizona in 2005. Jason White is a guy that never quit and even when he had bad games or performances....he continued to push to get the #1 QB Spot. Then he had two of the most horrible injuries of all of three QBS. He even tried to over come them and even tried out at the KC Chiefs before retiring.

Landry got stuck in very early in 2009 and did what I think was an admirable job. He's never lost a Bowl Game and is 33-11 as our QB in his 4th year as a starter. Nobody that has started at OU has the stats he has. 2009 he led the Sooners to a 8-5 record, 2010 is was 12-2, 2011 it was 10-3. This year he's already 3-1.

I know he hasn't brought us a MNC but he has played nearly as well as White and Bradford. Neither of them won a MNC either and their Stats aren't even close to Landry's. You can go tear it all down about how one did better than the other at this and that but the bottom line is that people don't like Landry because he hasn't gotten us a shot at a MNC or won a Heisman. His INT/Turnovers have hurt his stats and I think his legacy with many fans. Even though 2009 was a bust of a Season, Landry was sent in to win games and become our starting QB. 2010 was a great Year but freak losses at Missouri and TAMU really blew any chance at a MNC. 2011....We had Team losses that just couldn't be explained. Just like KSU this year....Since 2008, Oklahoma seems to have one or two games that ruin any shot at a 2000 like Season.

It's easy to put the blame on Landry since he's QB but some OU Fans act like he's been the Death of our program. IMO it has mostly been due to us Changing out a Offensive or Defensive Coordinator every time we have a decent Team or losing key players.

Landry will be in the OU Record Books for a very very long time no matter what some fans think. He just wasn't fortunate enough to be able to have all the right Coaches and Lead the Team to Seasons like we did in 2000, 2004, 2005 and 2008.

I do hope to see us go undefeated the rest of the way but I'm not sure this Team can do that even if Landry suddenly becomes the best QB Oklahoma has ever scene after losing to KSU. I surely hope Landry can keep away from INTs and Fumbles the rest of the way but unless our WRs begin to pull in every ball that he puts in their hands....I'm not sure he can over come the KSU loss and leave OU with a Legacy like Josh, Jason and Sam. IMO he deserves more than someone posting they are glad his tenure as our Starter is over. Those are feelings some folks ought to cram up their ***. I say this as I know Landry is probably to nice to tell them this himself.

picasso
10/6/2012, 10:12 PM
Yeah, **** off OP. Come and bitch after we played some pretty good ball today....

weak.

OUmillenium
10/6/2012, 10:16 PM
I'm not a big LJ fan either but I know he was abnormally bad last game and knew it wouldnt last. I was excited to see him play so well today. Also loved seeing Williams get so many touches. Defense getting better and WILL continue to improve game by game and year to year with Mike Stoops ruuning the show. Got the excitement for the Texass game back today.