PDA

View Full Version : Depth Chart observations

8timechamps
10/4/2012, 07:01 PM
I noticed that Chuka started the KSU game, but didn't know why. Just looked at the depth chart and noticed a couple of things:

1. Ndulue has moved ahead of Washington at DE.

and

2. We are still very young on offense. Only one senior on the O-line (Johnson) and one at WR (Brown). Of course LJ is a senior, but otherwise, we have a lot of guys that are going to be playing the next two or three years.

goingoneight
10/4/2012, 07:07 PM
This is the biggest reason the offense is so discombobulated still. Guys have plenty of talent and potential... but they're all learning on the fly. That happens when you have the long list of recruiting turnover the last five years.

usmc-sooner
10/4/2012, 07:09 PM
we have busted big time at recruiting O-lineman and D-lineman for the last few years.

goingoneight
10/4/2012, 07:21 PM
You could say that... but you could also make the case that we had a lot of "star" power that has either left the program or had careers cut short due to injury.

8timechamps
10/4/2012, 07:56 PM
we have busted big time at recruiting O-lineman and D-lineman for the last few years.

I'd agree with you about the D-line (specifically at DT), but DE has been a feeder position to the NFL. I'd say the O-Line has been pretty solid, but injuries forced a lot of young guys into action (as goingoneight said).

The one position I think we've underachieved at in recruiting is Linebacker. Hopefully Mike Stoops/Tim Kish will correct that.

goingoneight
10/4/2012, 08:58 PM
I looked over the 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 recruiting classes just now on Rivals and it's no surprise at all we're off to as shaky a start as we have been. Explains a lot. We don't want the flakes that didn't pan out... but imagining for a moment if even half of them would have lived up to their billing we'd be a LOT better now. Especially around Landry Jones. TONS of OL, WR, RB and TE talent that could be contributing right now. Again, these are highly-recruited guys... so it's not like we're just recruiting a bunch of WTF bums and it's no surprise. Also, had some of these guys been worthy of their star ratings, they'd have contributed elsewhere by now.

ELP Sooner
10/4/2012, 09:28 PM
With OU and Texas down the from 2008-2009 years it seems that maybe Texas HS football was weak. Could that explain OU getting into Cali? Maybe our coaches arent as dumb as everyone thinks and did the best they could knowing that Texas HS football was down? I'm not being a sunshine pumper...but the OP makes a point about how young the team is.

goingoneight
10/4/2012, 09:58 PM
Texas is littered with these spread offense guys right now. It's just all the craze. I'm sure that there are stud RBs, OLs, FBs, TEs, DLs, LBs down there... but it's not the same overall players they were putting out a few years back.

StoopTroup
10/4/2012, 10:51 PM
We need some guys that are chipped out of diamonds and polished with steroids and had their blood changed out.