PDA

View Full Version : Since I wont be going to the OU/Tech game this year

MamaMia
10/4/2012, 06:24 PM
I will also miss Spankys cheese sticks, so in honor of OU/TT weekend...This is what I'm making to go along with plain ole grilled burgers, potato salad and baked beans.

You can double or quadruple this recipe depending on how large of a crowd you have

MamaMias Cheese Sticks

16 pieces string cheese, removed from wrappers and cut in half
or cut your own sticks from your favorite mozzarella. I'm also slicing up a ball of Galbani Mozzarella Fresca for variety. You can do 8 each, or double the recipe and make 16 each (32 sticks)

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 whole large eggs
3 tablespoons milk
2 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon dried or 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley flakes
Canola or Peanut oil, for frying (I like the peanut, but some people have nut allergies)

Serve with Marinara sauce, for dipping, along with some ranch dressing, and make a sauce from a mixture of grape jelly with mustard (I use 4 to 5 parts jelly to 1 part table mustard) That way you have Bold, Smooth and Sweet

Place flour in small bowl.
In another bowl, whisk eggs and milk.
In a separate bowl, combine panko with parsley.

One by one, roll mozzarella sticks in the flour, then dunk them in the egg/milk mixture, then place in panko crumbs. Use your hand to sweep crumbs all over the mozzarella stick. Gently remove and place on sheet. I cover my cooking sheet in Parchment paper for easy cleanup. Repeat until all are covered. Place covered mozzarella sticks in freezer for 20-30 minutes to flash freeze.

To cook: Heat enough oil to go half way up the sticks, in large cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, add mozzarella sticks 8 at a time. Watch closely and using tongs, gently turn them over to evenly brown, cooking less than 2 minutes. Do not allow the cheese to bubble and leak.

Remove to a paper lined plate. Serve immediately with warm marinara, chilled ranch and room temp grape/mustard sauce.

MamaMia
10/4/2012, 06:30 PM
What are y'all having? :)

8timechamps
10/4/2012, 06:34 PM
If I lived close, I'd be having Mama's MamaMia cheese sticks!!!

MamaMia
10/4/2012, 06:44 PM
If I lived close, I'd be having Mama's MamaMia cheese sticks!!!

Yes, you would. :)

I'm not even a big cheese stick lover. I never order them with pizza, nor do I buy them. Ever since someone told us we just HAD to try Spankys cheese sticks and did, and loved them, we just have to have cheese sticks every time we play TTech. I love the lightness of panko crumbs and peanut oil.

So if you're going to have cheese sticks, and cant have Spankys, why not have MamaMias :D

olevetonahill
10/4/2012, 07:21 PM
Gonna be grillin Burgers an Brats 3 different dips . More dayum beer than folks can drank , Bet they gonna be some Whiskey involved
Bonded an Other wise :chuncky:

MamaMia
10/4/2012, 07:53 PM
Gonna be grillin Burgers an Brats 3 different dips . More dayum beer than folks can drank , Bet they gonna be some Whiskey involved
Bonded an Other wise :chuncky:

My father use to put his brats in an aluminum pan in beer on top of the grill before he actually grilled them. Have you ever seen anyone do that?

8timechamps
10/4/2012, 08:01 PM
My father use to put his brats in an aluminum pan in beer on top of the grill before he actually grilled them. Have you ever seen anyone do that?

That's how I make 'em. Boil them in beer and onions, then put them on the grill. Now I'm just hungry!

FirstandGoal
10/4/2012, 08:32 PM
You guys are making me hungry and I've already eaten dinner, dammit!