PDA

View Full Version : Does a QB need to be a "vocal" leader?

8timechamps
10/4/2012, 12:52 PM
One thing that has always bothered me about LJ is he seems to lack any vocal leadership. I know leaders can lead in ways other than vocally, but I've always thought in a game like football, if the QB wants to be viewed as a leader, he has to be vocal. I'm not saying he needs to be Tim Tebow in-your-face with a vein popping out of his forehead, but a guy that everyone knows will chew your *** if you mess up, and pump you up when your down. I saw a tiny bit of that in the bowl game last year, but it's been nowhere to be seen this year.

Curly Bill
10/4/2012, 12:58 PM
I don't think a QB necessarily has to be a vocal leader, but he damn sure can't have that empty-eyed stare that LJ has either!

8timechamps
10/4/2012, 12:59 PM
I don't think a QB necessarily has to be a vocal leader, but he damn sure can't have that empty-eyed stare that LJ has either!

The joke at my house is that LJ has narcolepsy. And anytime he makes a mistake, it was the narcolepsy. He's been in and out of sleep a lot this year.

FirstandGoal
10/4/2012, 01:02 PM
To answer the original question. No

However, I agree with both of you guys that there barely seems to be any kind of spark in LJ at times and it sure would be nice to see him get fired up every so often.

8timechamps
10/4/2012, 01:11 PM
Really, you're both wrong. I already knew the answer, I just want to see how much smarter I am than the dummies that post here. As always, I'm the smartest guy in the room. :)

StoopTroup
10/4/2012, 01:12 PM
I have seen Stills suddenly stop running his route. Now....is that because LJ didn't give him the news that he's supposed to be his go to guy now or that LJ didn't get him the ball earlier?

It's easy to always blame the QB and ultimately it's always been that way. Does LJ need to lower his INT rate and quit fumbling? I don't think anyone disagrees.

When do the WRs get any blame in this? My guess in in private and as far as fans and Sports Boards go....LJ is going to get the bulk of the blame. I think he's handled it well but after the two mistakes he made in the K-State Game, I get the feeking (and it's just a feeling, not some sort of fact or stat) that he is beginning to expect other players to do their job where in the past he was doing the deer in the headlights thing and hoping the Coaches put it on the WR Corp when they are responsible. I think that happened after the oSu game last year and we won the Iowa Game after that. Thing is...you can't wait until mid or post season to be a leader or get the help you need if you are the kind of soft spoken guy LJ seems to be. I surely hope he matured a bit more this year. I thought I saw a bit more emotion from him when he made mistakes in the K-State game. I've always just kept on supporting him rather than bag on him. I surely hope he stands up and takes complete control as the Season goes on.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/4/2012, 01:15 PM
No to the question and Landry just needs to have his mental capability match up more closely to his physical capability. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen this late in his career. Regardless, there are two versions of Landry, the one with Broyles, which was a very good QB and the without Broyles, which is not a very good QB.

The only hope here is to bench Metoyer, keep Brown in and move Stills outside again and put Shepard at the starting slot position and hope to high heavens that Landry is convinced he is throwing to Broyles again with Shepard. Maybe even have Shepard put a Broyles jersy on if necessary. My goodness just do something!

FirstandGoal
10/4/2012, 01:16 PM
Really, you're both wrong. I already knew the answer, I just want to see how much smarter I am than the dummies that post here. As always, I'm the smartest guy in the room. :)

Ha! Notice you said "guy"

Which means I'm still smarter! :highly_amused:

StoopTroup
10/4/2012, 01:22 PM
No to the question and Landry just needs to have his mental capability match up more closely to his physical capability. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen this late in his career. Regardless, there are two versions of Landry, the one with Broyles, which was a very good QB and the without Broyles, which is not a very good QB.

The only hope here is to bench Metoyer, keep Brown in and move Stills outside again and put Shepard at the starting slot position and hope to high heavens that Landry is convinced he is throwing to Broyles again with Shepard. Maybe even have Shepard put a Broyles jersy on if necessary. My goodness just do something!

It's the only hope?

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2009/5/4/128859444460048876.jpg

JiminyChristmas
10/4/2012, 01:32 PM
Doesn't necessarily have to be vocal, but some more fire would be nice. Remember the sideline shot of Sam after he got his concussion at Texas Tech? Mouth hanging open, not looking real sure of where he was. Unfortunately, Landry's presence seems perpetually stuck like that.

StoopTroup
10/4/2012, 01:45 PM
Doesn't necessarily have to be vocal, but some more fire would be nice. Remember the sideline shot of Sam after he got his concussion at Texas Tech? Mouth hanging open, not looking real sure of where he was. Unfortunately, Landry's presence seems perpetually stuck like that.

Sometimes I think folks just like painting with their fingers. You went from a little more fire to him being stuck in a concussive coma like state?

http://sportsofboston.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/a-landry-jones-pic.jpg

MamaMia
10/4/2012, 02:12 PM
Ha! Notice you said "guy"

Which means I'm still smarter! :highly_amused: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/smilies/giggle.gif

It wouldn't hurt if Landry had a few words to say to his offense in between plays, and cheer for the defense when they're out there. Sam was a quite guy, however you would always see him gently interacting with his teammates during the game.

StoopTroup
10/4/2012, 02:17 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/smilies/giggle.gif

It wouldn't hurt if Landry had a few words to say to his offense in between plays, and cheer for the defense when they're out there. Sam was a quite guy, however you would always see him gently interacting with his teammates during the game.

Next Season I think we will see a lot of folks quit paying for their Season Tickets and the whole waiting list thing will nearly disappear if not completely disappear. I'm surprised that so many folks haven't just quit going to games like they did back in the 90's.

SoonerInFortSmith
10/4/2012, 03:27 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/smilies/giggle.gif

Next Season I think we will see a lot of folks quit paying for their Season Tickets and the whole waiting list thing will nearly disappear if not completely disappear. I'm surprised that so many folks haven't just quit going to games like they did back in the 90's.

You forgot to use the sarcasm font.

OU_Sooners75
10/4/2012, 03:52 PM
To be a leader you have got to be vocal. However, some vocal people try to be leaders and fail.

Its a fine line. Being vocal doesn't mean in-your-face.

Get off the field and talk to the guys. Go over mistakes, be encouraging. Talk about running the right routes, making the proper blocking assignments. Ask the guys what they see the defense doing in different situations.

That is being a leader. You can't lead when you aren't. Saying anything and you stick to yourself. You can't lead from behind!

MamaMia
10/4/2012, 03:57 PM
You forgot to use the sarcasm font.He also forgot to use deductive reasoning, since nothing I said, which is the quote he used in his post, actually has anything at all to do with what he said.

Boomer.....
10/4/2012, 04:04 PM
I think it helps, but isn't necessary to succeed. If we were undefeated, we probably wouldn't be talking about this.

Scott D
10/4/2012, 04:53 PM
To be a leader you have got to be vocal. However, some vocal people try to be leaders and fail.

Its a fine line. Being vocal doesn't mean in-your-face.

Get off the field and talk to the guys. Go over mistakes, be encouraging. Talk about running the right routes, making the proper blocking assignments. Ask the guys what they see the defense doing in different situations.

That is being a leader. You can't lead when you aren't. Saying anything and you stick to yourself. You can't lead from behind!

an easier way of saying this would be to carry yourself on the sideline more like Peyton Manning and not at all like Jay Cutler. :D

8timechamps
10/4/2012, 05:08 PM

LOL, How can they ever tell if LJ has a concussion?!

8timechamps
10/4/2012, 05:11 PM
I have seen Stills suddenly stop running his route. Now....is that because LJ didn't give him the news that he's supposed to be his go to guy now or that LJ didn't get him the ball earlier?

It's easy to always blame the QB and ultimately it's always been that way. Does LJ need to lower his INT rate and quit fumbling? I don't think anyone disagrees.

When do the WRs get any blame in this? My guess in in private and as far as fans and Sports Boards go....LJ is going to get the bulk of the blame. I think he's handled it well but after the two mistakes he made in the K-State Game, I get the feeking (and it's just a feeling, not some sort of fact or stat) that he is beginning to expect other players to do their job where in the past he was doing the deer in the headlights thing and hoping the Coaches put it on the WR Corp when they are responsible. I think that happened after the oSu game last year and we won the Iowa Game after that. Thing is...you can't wait until mid or post season to be a leader or get the help you need if you are the kind of soft spoken guy LJ seems to be. I surely hope he matured a bit more this year. I thought I saw a bit more emotion from him when he made mistakes in the K-State game. I've always just kept on supporting him rather than bag on him. I surely hope he stands up and takes complete control as the Season goes on.

I don't think anyone is getting a pass right now. However, LJ is the face of Sooner football, and he knows it. I have and will continue to support Landry, but my faith in his ability has definitely diminished. He's handled himself as well as anyone could have asked, and I'm sure he's as frustrated as anyone. All of that said, I just don't see any fire in the guy...of course that's nothing new, we knew that going into this season.

goingoneight
10/4/2012, 07:20 PM
Landry is just like Sam and Jason White. They're all low-key guys. Sam and Landry get a little more excitable whenever things are going well, though. Make no mistake... Sam and Jason weren't exactly all Rah-Rah when LSU and Florida were knocking them around. Josh Heupel I would've thought would prefer to be a sideline OC because he has always been good with player interaction. That dates all the way back to his playing days.

I'll take the Stoops route and say there's 100 guys on the team and you don't have to rely on any one guy to help motivate you. Just putting on the crimson and cream ought to be plenty a shot in the arm. As much as we lauded Heupel's leadership... the most vocal leaders of our National Title team in 2000 were the rarely-used fullback, the starting Mike linebacker and Rocky Calmus.

8timechamps
10/4/2012, 07:59 PM
Landry is just like Sam and Jason White. They're all low-key guys. Sam and Landry get a little more excitable whenever things are going well, though. Make no mistake... Sam and Jason weren't exactly all Rah-Rah when LSU and Florida were knocking them around. Josh Heupel I would've thought would prefer to be a sideline OC because he has always been good with player interaction. That dates all the way back to his playing days.

I'll take the Stoops route and say there's 100 guys on the team and you don't have to rely on any one guy to help motivate you. Just putting on the crimson and cream ought to be plenty a shot in the arm. As much as we lauded Heupel's leadership... the most vocal leaders of our National Title team in 2000 were the rarely-used fullback, the starting Mike linebacker and Rocky Calmus.

Sam was a pretty laid back guy, but I thought he always had that look about him...the look of confidence. I saw that in Landry at the end of 2010, and thought I saw a glimpse of it against Iowa in the bowl game. I hope it comes back.

StoopTroup
10/4/2012, 08:21 PM
I don't think anyone is getting a pass right now. However, LJ is the face of Sooner football, and he knows it. I have and will continue to support Landry, but my faith in his ability has definitely diminished. He's handled himself as well as anyone could have asked, and I'm sure he's as frustrated as anyone. All of that said, I just don't see any fire in the guy...of course that's nothing new, we knew that going into this season.

I think it's probably hard to have much fire if you know you are tossing a coin every time you drop back into the pocket. I'm surprised he's continued to stay in the pocket and just take off running but if he believes he's going to the NFL...he has no reason to do anything except protect himself and get through a year that he shouldn't have come back to. Now....if the WRs start running their routes and getting the timing down and make it easy on him....I think he'll pad his stats and improve his position in the draft. If they don't....I see him pulling something and then just hiring Sam's guy to get him ready for the combines.

goingoneight
10/4/2012, 08:32 PM
Surrounding talent is 90% of it. Look no further than OU vs Baylor is 2008 and OU vs. Baylor is 2009. Sam was still threading the needle... but there was a major noticeable difference between how it all looked the year before. Look at how bad Rhett Bomar was until the middle of 2005 when he started looking like he might end up being a decent QB. I still say OUr OL and TE situation is hurting Landry. He doesn't trust the protection at all. Couple that with inconsistent WR play and no QB is going to fare well.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/5/2012, 01:05 PM
Landry is just like Sam and Jason White. They're all low-key guys. Sam and Landry get a little more excitable whenever things are going well, though. Make no mistake... Sam and Jason weren't exactly all Rah-Rah when LSU and Florida were knocking them around.

My thoughts exactly.

And where it the Torrence Marshall on D ready to rip your ****ing head off, etc?

StoopTroup
10/5/2012, 01:27 PM
Surrounding talent is 90% of it. Look no further than OU vs Baylor is 2008 and OU vs. Baylor is 2009. Sam was still threading the needle... but there was a major noticeable difference between how it all looked the year before. Look at how bad Rhett Bomar was until the middle of 2005 when he started looking like he might end up being a decent QB. I still say OUr OL and TE situation is hurting Landry. He doesn't trust the protection at all. Couple that with inconsistent WR play and no QB is going to fare well.

I think the TE situation is just that they lack experience. I don't think it's talent. Bob and Mike have always been able to get more out of the talent they have. I expect that to be the case as the year progresses. The O-line is a different matter. Also the backs they put in need to pick up on the guys LJ points at that worry the crap out of him. The play he fumbled, they had us backed up against our goal line and he at all costs avoided the EZ. Field position is important and being able to find distance between the goal line and the ball is crucial until we get the O-line and backs protecting him better in those situations. I thought he was being pretty cool and then when we snapped the ball, K-State threw everything at him and blocks were missed and he had to make a play on his feet or toss the ball out of bounds. It happened really fast. We should have been doing more to draw them offsides. A whole bunch of things happened really quick. He just had no chance.

I was sitting right there in front of him. It was hard to watch. For those that think he has no emotion...it's not what I saw on his face. He was pissed. When he's right there in front of you...you get to see emotions that the TV and really a whole lot of fans that night even that can't be seen when a guy has what happened to him happened. I don't think I'll ever forget just how bad he wanted to beat them.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/stooptroup/BA8F3581-742A-4C17-9D45-D5179D6F64AD-357-0000003B990F330F.jpg

Breadburner
10/5/2012, 01:35 PM
You lead by example....

StoopTroup
10/5/2012, 01:36 PM
My thoughts exactly.

And where it the Torrence Marshall on D ready to rip your ****ing head off, etc?

Yeah, that's a great point. I have to give Mike a break though as he really didn't have the time or jump on finding guys for his Defense. Hopefully he can get the most out of what Brent left him and that next year we will see some different faces at LBer and maybe even another Tommy Harris.

8timechamps
10/5/2012, 01:41 PM
I think the TE situation is just that they lack experience. I don't think it's talent. Bob and Mike have always been able to get more out of the talent they have. I expect that to be the case as the year progresses. The O-line is a different matter. Also the backs they put in need to pick up on the guys LJ points at that worry the crap out of him. The play he fumbled, they had us backed up against our goal line and he at all costs avoided the EZ. Field position is important and being able to find distance between the goal line and the ball is crucial until we get the O-line and backs protecting him better in those situations. I thought he was being pretty cool and then when we snapped the ball, K-State threw everything at him and blocks were missed and he had to make a play on his feet or toss the ball out of bounds. It happened really fast. We should have been doing more to draw them offsides. A whole bunch of things happened really quick. He just had no chance.

I was sitting right there in front of him. It was hard to watch. For those that think he has no emotion...it's not what I saw on his face. He was pissed. When he's right there in front of you...you get to see emotions that the TV and really a whole lot of fans that night even that can't be seen when a guy has what happened to him happened. I don't think I'll ever forget just how bad he wanted to beat them.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/stooptroup/BA8F3581-742A-4C17-9D45-D5179D6F64AD-357-0000003B990F330F.jpg

I agree ST. There is no question we have talent at TE, it's just young and inexperienced.

I've been hard on Landry the past couple of weeks, but I know it's a team effort. After looking over the depth chart, and realizing just how young we really are, I am going to try to take a more patient approach at being a fan this season. We could develop into a really good team, and I'm sure that's what Stoops is expecting.

BeaSooner
10/5/2012, 01:59 PM
Does a bear **** in the woods?

thecrimsoncrusader
10/5/2012, 02:02 PM
I think it's probably hard to have much fire if you know you are tossing a coin every time you drop back into the pocket.

So what was his excuse last season and in 2010 in the Missouri and ATM games? Yeah, exactly. Landry reached a pinnacle in late 2010 with his two big time passes in the OU/OSU game and then again in the 2010 Big 12 title game against Nebraska, but has regressed since then and got really bad from the departure of Ryan Broyles and on, which had nothing to do with the play of the Sooner offensive line. He had an average of 2.3 seconds per pass play against UTEP this season yet still almost got picked off twice and was largely unimpressive.