PDA

View Full Version : Strange peas

Chuck Bao
10/3/2012, 02:08 AM
I gathered the first mess of (purple hull? blackeyed? unknown species?) peas from my mom’s fall garden over the weekend. They’re twice the size of normal peas and…okay just look at the pic...they’re not anything like what we’ve previously grown.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy301/ghuebsch62/mutantpeasresized640x467.jpg

We shelled them (yeah, they were very easy to shell, like popping bubble wrap) and plan to cook them tomorrow. My mom was all “never seen such pretty peas”. But, would you eat them or not?

I decided to wait to see if they’d put out another mess of strange peas. There are mistakes in nature, obviously, so don’t want to over-react. When I gathered them this morning, we’re still getting giant peas on steroids.

I’m going to go back to the nursery in Kingston that sold me the seed and ask if they’re supposed to look like this. They supposedly sold me purple hull back in July. If they don’t know, I may be bold enough to go the Noble Foundation’s ag research center in Ardmore and ask them what happened. Anyone know before I make a complete fool of myself and let my food paranoia get the best of me?

MamaMia
10/3/2012, 03:10 AM
You might want to see if there is a pea growing contest with a cash prize before you eat them all.

olevetonahill
10/3/2012, 04:25 AM
Moren likely a Hybrid Pea of somekind. I thot the Hulls were Purple on the Purple hull Pea?
Id eat em

olevetonahill
10/3/2012, 04:29 AM
Oh and next year Ima look at that Hybrid Okra, Stuff posed to get twice the size of regular Okra and not get tuff

Chuck Bao
10/3/2012, 04:31 AM
You might want to see if there is a pea growing contest with a cash prize before you eat them all.

The problem with that is that nobody would believe that they're purple hull. Do you see much purple in them?

Admittedly, we've never planted fall peas. We've had volunteer purple hull and blackeyed come up in the fall and none of they have looked like that.

It's probable some GMO thing. Either that or these peas got busy cross fraternatizing outside their species with maybe the butter beans. Are peas that way?

Chuck Bao
10/3/2012, 04:38 AM
Moren likely a Hybrid Pea of somekind. I thot the Hulls were Purple on the Purple hull Pea?
Id eat em

Didn't see your post before I posted. My mom was just saying that it is probably some hybid California pea. My brother was blaming it on some Thailand beans. I'm not so sure, but I'll probably eat them. Scratch that...home-grown peas are something that I would never turn down, even the gnarly, mutant on steroids ones.

olevetonahill
10/3/2012, 04:41 AM
Didn't see your post before I posted. My mom was just saying that it is probably some hybid California pea. My brother was blaming it on some Thailand beans. I'm not so sure, but I'll probably eat them. Scratch that...home-grown peas are something that I would never turn down, even the gnarly, mutant on steroids ones.

Heh, I looked thru some Pea adds and dint see anything like that, Course I dint look very hard either.

I got to get me a Decent Garden spot built up here , Or ****in Move to where I got good soil.

MamaMia
10/3/2012, 10:31 AM
They look like purple hulls to me, just about 50% bigger. You can even see the purple on the tips of the pods. Thats what I bought at the Farmers Market here.

C&CDean
10/3/2012, 10:46 AM
I'm about 90% sure they're purple hulled peas, and I'd eat the hell outta them.