PDA

View Full Version : What's it gonna take?

8timechamps
10/2/2012, 09:12 PM
To beat Taco Tech?

Right now, Tech has the best defense in the league (statistically). In reality, they have played as easy a schedule as anyone in the country. Their marquee win was last weekend against Iowa State. I didn't watch the game, but the final score was 24-13. It appears that they have improved on defense, but how much? We know first-hand that they can move the ball on offense, but they'll be facing a different scheme this year.

If there is a weakness in Tech's defense, I think it would be stopping the run. If we can pound the ball (and not get away from it), that would take pressure off of Landry (which I think we all can agree would be a good thing). We have the backs to run the ball, and I even think the offensive line is showing some ability to run block. It sure would be nice to have a couple of our guys go for 100 yards rushing.

Defensively, we just need to keep doing what we've been doing minus the late game letdown. I'm looking for our secondary to get a turnover or two this week. I hope our boys come out fired up and looking for revenge.

ouwasp
10/2/2012, 09:20 PM
Well I hope the Sooners avoid the "First Quarter Blues"; playing like crap right off the bat, especially on the road.

It would be refreshing to see the Sooner D have a 3-n-out and the Sooner O NOT have a 3-n-out... and then when a punting situation comes along, to boom a routine ball way deep...

VA Sooner
10/2/2012, 10:38 PM
The secondary is much better this year than last. The corners are holding their receivers down and the safeties are communicating much better this year. The weakness I see is not having a dominating guy up front on the line except for King. Hoping McFarland or Walker steps up and starts making chaos on the line to disrupt Doege.

I agree... have the backs tote the rock in the beginning until the defense backs away and then let Landry have his time to wail that ball around with less pressure. Rotate the backs, get Millard involved (did you hear me, Heupel???), and then open the receivers up down field.

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 11:48 PM
Coaches and players included, need to be better at every single aspect of the game and from start to finish. It sounds rather basic, but I cant think of any area that doesn't need improvement.

BoulderSooner79
10/3/2012, 12:11 AM
I saw part of the TT/ISU game and they seemed pretty evenly matched. ISU doesn't have a lot of talent at skill position, so it's hard to gauge how the TT defense will do against, say WVU. Our offense has gotten in it's own way as much as it has been defeated by the defense, so it hasn't taken a great D for us to stall out. I thought our execution improved a lot from the UTEP game to the KSU game, but we faced a much better foe. I'm guessing TT will be on par with KSU as far as defense is concerned, but hard to tell given who they played. TT definitely had more skill than ISU on offense and that is what eventually won the game. I don't see TT being able to control the clock ala KSU, so our O should have more chances to prove themselves. I expect our defense to be much more disciplined that last year, and won't give up all the big plays. But if our offense repeats that 6 consecutive 3-and-out fiasco they pulled last year, it won't matter (I don't expect that). I see a tight game, but if we can keep the turnovers even, I think we win.

SoonerOX
10/3/2012, 03:31 AM
I agree that the offense has to remain balanced. This 10 passes in a row thing, is well, one dimensional. I would say that run blocking is more difficult than pass blocking, but we really need to establish our presence in the trenches via a reliable run game. Mix in some play action stuff, and I'd say the offense will score some points. Defensively, someone mentioned our secondary was better than last year, I agree. I really don't trust our linebacker corps to provide adequate support against the run. From my understanding, Tubbs is trying to run the ball more than Tech has in years past. Also, the defensive line has to push their hogs bac and be disruptive, even if they don't make the tackle or get the sack.. Sounds basic, because it is. I hope this team decides to return to being sound in the basics quick!

Breadburner
10/3/2012, 05:24 AM
No mistakes on either side of the ball....Take care of the foot-ball...

SoonerorLater
10/3/2012, 09:52 AM
So you guys think it's actually possible for OU to win this game? You don't think our showing up to play this beast of a TT team is just a hopeless and futile gesture? You think that OU can take the field and possibly come away victorious against such storied and invincible program like TT?....... Maybe I need to rethink everything. Maybe OU can do this........ Yes, yes we can!....... BOOMER........

Ruf/Nek7
10/3/2012, 10:18 AM
No mistakes on offense, get D.D. Williams and Finch the ball more often. Open up the offensive playbook. Give Shepard more looks. Get more pressure on the QB, Walker needs to shake the rust off, Safeties jump some routes and make INTs, linebackers need to cover underneath routes better. Blitz more. No mistakes on special teams...how about a kick return or punt return for TD. What happened to Justin Brown? I think thats about it.....for now. OU still wins, i have faith in our coaching staff.

C&CDean
10/3/2012, 10:19 AM
More ****ing points on the ****ing scoreboard.

Ruf/Nek7
10/3/2012, 10:20 AM

That's a bold strategy. Wonder if we try it out?

BoulderSooner79
10/3/2012, 10:21 AM

On OUr side of the scoreboard. (With this offense, you have to be specific :) )

PrideMom
10/3/2012, 10:21 AM
Keep the ball. Don't let them have it very often......Baylor needed to learn this......

badger
10/3/2012, 11:57 AM
1- No ref shenanigans (how we lost in 2005)
2- The starting quarterback does not suffer a concussion (how we lost in 2007)
3- Don't break in a new quarterback, beware of revenge seekers, don't be fooled by a mere 3-0 first quarter deficit and don't wait till the fourth quarter to score a touchdown (how we lost in 2009)
4- Don't give up 17 unanswered points in a quarter, don't miss critical field goals, pay attention to the weather forecast! (how we lost in 2011)

Soonerjeepman
10/3/2012, 01:09 PM
I actually don't count the first 2 drives (off and def) it's an adjustment period. Obviously Landry MUST play within himself and make better reads, take what the D gives them. Think D will be ok unless the O goes 3/out on several consecutive snaps...

PalmBeachSooner
10/3/2012, 05:10 PM
There's no question. Certainly, we have to play in a great way at the end of the day.

cleller
10/3/2012, 07:10 PM
Go out there and play like its 2000. Compete and play.