PDA

View Full Version : Are we "spoiled"

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 08:10 PM
I know that even one loss can cost a team a shot at a National Championship. The fact that we have lost already scares me because of that fact. I hate having to rely on needing other teams to lose. Does being disappointed that we are in this predicament make us spoiled?

If you look at the percentages, we are long overdue for a NC. I would love to be sitting in the stands watching OU win one. Are we spoiled that we are not more patient? Its been disappointing that Stoops has been close but unable to win a championship with a team he, himself has recruited. I felt I was being logical in thinking that since he won with a team Blake recruited that by now, with his own pick of players, we would have won at least one by now. Its not as if we didn't have the means to do so. Our facilities are state of the art. Norman is a Football town. We have recruited some great players and we have highly paid coaches. Some people say that we are spoiled for 'expecting' a National Championship team out of our program, and for feeling that we should get a big return out of the investment we put in to our program.

Here is the question...I know winning the National Championship is not attainable every year, however its been 12 years and we win one on the average of every few years. Are we spoiled in thinking that, given all the circumstances, we should have won one by now?

BigTip
10/2/2012, 08:14 PM
Not spoiled, realistic. We should be winning a NC. We were close several times.
I hate losing early in the season.

sooneron
10/2/2012, 08:18 PM
Spoiled.

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2012, 08:21 PM
My expectations for a BCS title team this season did not change after the loss to KSU - it was already clear this squad has too many weaknesses.
But fans of big time ($$$) programs with tradition should have high expectations over the long haul and there should always be a sense of urgency.

Blue
10/2/2012, 08:28 PM
Theres about 20 or so teams that have a legitimate chance to win a title any given year, so no I don't think we are.

Plus we need to be. Thats how programs stay great. Nobody associated with them accepts mediocrity.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
10/2/2012, 08:29 PM
Sure we are. And I'm proud of it! 7 titles and numerous other chances! I'll gladly admit it.

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 08:29 PM
I hate losing early in the season.So, your reasoning is that its a realistic expectation, rather than we are spoiled; but based on what?

I know we have won the conference title on the average of half the time, and I am grateful for that. Knowing that we can do that, but just cant win on a national level is bittersweet, because its satisfying yet frustrating. :D

Jack T.
10/2/2012, 08:32 PM
I hate losing early in the season.

This. On average, we get a ring every 8 years or so. On average, we are vastly more likely to get a conference ring than anybody else in the big 12.

Not playing for all the marbles makes it a below average year, by Oklahoma standards.

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 08:32 PM
I expect one EVERY DAYUM YEAR.
Aint spoiled, Im a Greedy bastage :courage:

8timechamps
10/2/2012, 08:33 PM
Yeah, we're a spoiled fan base.

Think about it, every year only TWO teams make the title game. We expect to be one of those almost every year. That's not realistic. Realistically, we should expect 9 or 10 win seasons. Even that is tough.

Sabanball
10/2/2012, 08:35 PM
Absolutely you are--but still not as much as Bama fans.;)

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2012, 08:37 PM
This. On average, we get a ring every 8 years or so. On average, we are vastly more likely to get a conference ring than anybody else in the big 12.

Not playing for all the marbles makes it a below average year, by Oklahoma standards.

If a ring comes every 8 years or so, how is not playing for all the marbles below average? New math?
I would agree that not playing for the conference title is below average.

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 08:37 PM
The MONSTER is hungry

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5PO__x9BJwE/TeRHaURigSI/AAAAAAAAAGk/VfsfEEJT43g/s1600/godzilla54green.jpg

En_Fuego
10/2/2012, 08:45 PM
I think the "older generation" is spoiled. The newbies are still lovin this wussy offense.............whateva

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 08:52 PM
If a ring comes every 8 years or so, how is not playing for all the marbles below average? New math?
I would agree that not playing for the conference title is below average. No, because for all time, the percentage of National Championships that we have played for is higher than the percentage of National Championships we have won. I don't know whether Stoops' winning and losing record is about the norm, compared to other coaches who have played for the NC, or not. I haven't looked.

So, does it all boil down to whether or not we are justified in expecting it, given all that we put in to our program, along with our history and tradition? If we are not justified, then we are we spoiled? If we are justified, then we merely have realistic expectations?

En_Fuego
10/2/2012, 08:55 PM
No, because for all time, the percentage of National Championships that we have played for is higher than the percentage of National Championships we have won. I don't know whether Stoops' winning and losing record is about the norm, compared to other coaches who have played for the NC, or not. I haven't looked.

So, does it all boil down to whether or not we are justified in expecting it, given all that we put in to our program, along with our history and tradition? If we are not justified, then we are we spoiled? If we are justified, then we merely have realistic expectations?

NO

kevpks
10/2/2012, 08:56 PM
This is the greatest program in the history of college football. Our expectations are consistent with our status.

En_Fuego
10/2/2012, 08:58 PM
This is the greatest program in the history of college football. Our expectations are consistent with our status.

Yep, thats true................but we have to keep up the good work............We havent been as of lately. Country folk think these Sooners are a JOKE with all this fansy dansy.

En_Fuego
10/2/2012, 09:01 PM
RUN THE BALL............RUN IT DOWN THEIR THROATS, AND WHEN THEY CAN'T STOP YOU......RUN IT UP THEIR A$$

PLaw
10/2/2012, 09:01 PM
Spoiled?? Spoiled?? You never met my Grapes of Wrath father. Heck no, we aren't spoiled.

But, this is OKLAHOMA and most of us have decades of championship football on our mantle. A few here, saw Bud's glory years. Some of us remember wondering if Barry would ever lose. Most of us thought Bob would have had 3 or 4 by now. No sir, we aren't spoiled, but we sure do understand how a championship football program looks, walks, talks, and plays.

And, right now? Right now our trajectory is more of a glide path than a flight plan. In 2012, the play on the field has not measured up to championship football. So, yes, we are going to bellyache, criticize, and judge. It's our birthright as fans of the ultimate champions.

This is OKLAHOMA if you can't handle the expectations of championship football, then go find another team to cheer for. Our standards are high. Our goals for every season are crystal.

BOOMER SOONER!!
Are you with me?
BOB, FEED THE MONSTER!!!

Blue
10/2/2012, 09:21 PM
Spoiled?? Spoiled?? You never met my Grapes of Wrath father. Heck no, we aren't spoiled.

But, this is OKLAHOMA and most of us have decades of championship football on our mantle. A few here, saw Bud's glory years. Some of us remember wondering if Barry would ever lose. Most of us thought Bob would have had 3 or 4 by now. No sir, we aren't spoiled, but we sure do understand how a championship football program looks, walks, talks, and plays.

And, right now? Right now our trajectory is more of a glide path than a flight plan. In 2012, the play on the field has not measured up to championship football. So, yes, we are going to bellyache, criticize, and judge. It's our birthright as fans of the ultimate champions.

This is OKLAHOMA if you can't handle the expectations of championship football, then go find another team to cheer for. Our standards are high. Our goals for every season are crystal.

BOOMER SOONER!!
Are you with me?
BOB, FEED THE MONSTER!!!

Now thats what I'm talking about. Thats a post for archives right there.

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 09:31 PM

BOOMER SOONER!!
Are you with me?
BOB, FEED THE MONSTER!!!Holy Mary! I could kick a 50 yard field goal after reading that!

We need you in the locker room before the team jumps up to hit the "Play Like A Champion" banner. :D

UberSooner
10/2/2012, 09:58 PM
A spoiled kid is one who expects instant gratification. I want it so I get it. As fans we aren't spoiled, when a 3 year starter at quarterback graduates, we expect to rebuild. We are a fan base that expects to contend for championships every few years. We recruit world class every year. We hold on to players for a reasonable term of years. There are maybe 6 or 7 teams that can say that and they rotate. There are maybe 4 teams that find themselves in that position decade after decade. We are one of the rare few that belong to that top tier in college football and that's a direct result of having a university that prioritizes that circumstance and has for years.

We have high expectations precisely because our university has made winning championships it's mission. When we fail in that, we fail. We are not K-State or Miami or Florida State, the list goes on and on. We are the University of Oklahoma and we have staked our claim to the greatest dynasty in College football. Go big or go home and that is our mission statement from the Regents down to Joe six pack. Tuck Fexas.

8timechamps
10/2/2012, 10:03 PM
We are four games into the season. We lost ONE of the four, to a ranked team, by five points. This board erupted like a volcano, and you would have thought we were beaten by Savannah State, by 50 points. If you honestly think this fan base isn't spoiled, you and I have a different meaning of the word.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/2/2012, 11:40 PM
How much rice can a Chinaman eat?

agoo758
10/2/2012, 11:40 PM
Some on this board define spoiled as "people who are a little upset over a loss."

I've learned to ignore them.

BoulderSooner79
10/3/2012, 12:19 AM
Holy Mary! I could kick a 50 yard field goal after reading that!

We need you in the locker room before the team jumps up to hit the "Play Like A Champion" banner. :D

Is that what you were looking for - an inspirational pep talk? Sorry, I thought you were after thoughtful responses. I know I'm dense sometimes so here you go:

BOOMER!

pappy
10/3/2012, 01:21 AM
"People don't know what it is to be champions. Oklahoma invented it." - Barry Switzer. We should be aspiring for the National Title every year and disappointed with anything less most years. With our prestige and supposedly great coaching staff we should never be rebuilding, we should only be reloading and taking another shot at the title and don't tell me that's unrealistic when, there are teams that are doing exactly that.

MamaMia
10/3/2012, 03:06 AM
Is that what you were looking for - an inspirational pep talk? Sorry, I thought you were after thoughtful responses. I know I'm dense sometimes so here you go:

BOOMER!

I wasn't really looking for a pep talk, but that was a good one. :D

Oh..and its very unlucky to leave a "BOOMER" unanswered...so SOONER!

sendbaht
10/3/2012, 05:13 AM
spoiled rotten...but I like it....Boomer....

Sooner in Tampa
10/3/2012, 05:16 AM
Are we spoiled because we hate losing to inferior talent? **** YEAH!!!

thecrimsoncrusader
10/3/2012, 10:54 AM
We have been spoiled by having good QBs during the Bob Stoops era. Unfortunately, 2005 and 2012 have been exceptions to that. Cordero Moore needs to be around to insult Landry Jones just as he did Jimmy Stevens to perhaps motivate him. It motivated Jimmy Stevens to make his first 40+ yard field goal attempt ever (at least it seemed that way) in the 2008 OU/ATM game.

OUster
10/3/2012, 11:26 AM
I can honestly say I have not dealt well with the loss to KSU. I am living in enemy territory (Texas) with my chrome plated OU decal proudly displayed on my vehicle. My OU phone cover for all to notice. My OU paraphenelia visible by the neighbors, outside of my home. However, taking a shower this morning, the thought of OU not being that great popped into my mind. I am not happy with it.I am downright ****ing angry about it. The point that came to mind, though, is that for some reason I had a moment of clarity. We have one...one wide receiver with starting Oklahoma experience four weeks ago. Our starting RB just came back from a major injury. The rest were unknowns. Our offensive line returned only two, arguably three, starters after injuries took their course in the off season. Our tight ends, non-existent and brand spanking new to OU. Yet, with the entire offense pretty much NEW and UNKNOWN, we believe there should be no learning curve and no mistakes early in the season. Yup, I'm spoiled...and so is the national media in ranking us that high to begin with. I think these lofty expectations were put on this teams shoulders because we are OU. No other program in the country would have started out so high in the polls, with so many offensive questions marks. LSU didn't return the Honey Badger and they are already universally recognized as not the same team as a year ago. I believe in Bob. If he had winning season with a bunch of freshman in '05, he can turn this machine on. **** it, I'm spoiled and I also still believe!

soonervegas
10/3/2012, 01:20 PM
Spoiled? Absolutely.

Am I going to stop believing that our head coach is coasting into his last contract as a college football coach? Nope.

Salt City Sooner
10/3/2012, 01:57 PM
We are four games into the season. We lost ONE of the four, to a ranked team, by five points. This board erupted like a volcano, and you would have thought we were beaten by Savannah State, by 50 points. If you honestly think this fan base isn't spoiled, you and I have a different meaning of the word.
x a gazillion. If there's a more spoiled fanbase in CFB, I'd like to see it.

On second thought, no I wouldn't.

OUNASH
10/3/2012, 03:07 PM
Yes we are spoiled and no different than a Kentucky basketball fan. Example: Tubby Smith won a Natl Champ with players he did not recruit just like Bob. Tubby got fired, not because he couldnt win, he was fired because he did not produce a Natl Champ within a certain time frame.
I think as an OU fan you expect to win a Natl Champ every 8-10 years due to the nature of the program. What people are pizzed about is the body of work over the last 2-3 years. Last years melt down, getting mudhole stomped by OsU and losing to Tech who lost to Iowa St 42-7 the following week. I dont want anyone other than Bob to run the program I just want him to pull his head out of the sand it get the problems fixed.

8timechamps
10/3/2012, 03:22 PM
I should also add that being spoiled isn't always a bad thing. I'm a spoiled football fan, and proud of it!

One4OU
10/3/2012, 03:30 PM

We also know what good football looks like and this isnt it. We can handle losing because the other team was better or we were off that day but when we lose and we dont see any fire or emotion from coaches and players something is wrong internally.

When it comes down to it we are just not a good football team right now and just beating the FAU's and squeaking by Utep and making one mistake and boneheaded play after another is not okay with our fanbase and it shouldnt be okay with coaches and players. Our program is better than that.

There is obvious some issues with our team and hopefully we will get them solved in time but to call fans spoiled because we are unhappy about several bad games is not fair for fans who can recognize good football.

8timechamps
10/3/2012, 03:55 PM
We also know what good football looks like and this isnt it. We can handle losing because the other team was better or we were off that day but when we lose and we dont see any fire or emotion from coaches and players something is wrong internally.

When it comes down to it we are just not a good football team right now and just beating the FAU's and squeaking by Utep and making one mistake and boneheaded play after another is not okay with our fanbase and it shouldnt be okay with coaches and players. Our program is better than that.

There is obvious some issues with our team and hopefully we will get them solved in time but to call fans spoiled because we are unhappy about several bad games is not fair for fans who can recognize good football.

I agree with all of your points about this year's team. I also agree that most Sooner fans know what good football looks like. But really, think about the way the fans reacted after the loss. Everything from start Bell at QB to fire Stoops. I think you can agree that's a little extreme. But, Sooner fans expect to win every game, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's how some react when we lose that I disagree with.

To me, being spoiled (as a football fan) is expecting perfection every game. Expecting to compete with any team in the land, and win. Like I said above, being spoiled isn't always a bad thing. We, as fans, have been spoiled. For a long time. I like it, and wouldn't trade places with any fan of any other team in the country.

BigTip
10/3/2012, 05:21 PM

Exactly.
We, the fans, are not spoiled. Blessed might be a better word.

Spoiled leaves the connotation of receiving things not justly earned and not being thankful for them.
I am very thankful for the titles that we have won, and have come close to winning.

One4OU
10/3/2012, 05:24 PM
Agreed. To me it seems as the issues we are having keep compounding as we regress as a team. As this is happening we watch the offense continue to get worse even as the talent seems to improve.

We seem stuck with Landry with a lot of unknown after he is gone with many ready to move on right now.

Crimsontothecore
10/3/2012, 10:48 PM
Funny how bad performances, alarming trends, and underachieving prompts one questioning whether fans are spoiled. It's as though we should adjust our expectations any time the team stinks up the field so that it's our expectations that are out of whack and not the state of the program.

"Spoiled" would be expecting to win every game with a new QB and after graduating half the team. Expecting an offense led by a four-year starter to look better than inept is not the definition of spoiled. Maybe a better question would be; Are these coaches spoiled?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/3/2012, 11:53 PM
Absolutely you are--but still not as much as Bama fans.;)all it takes is a little success, witness tigahbaits after winning the NC in 1958. Their fans became rabid after the NC for years. They didn't get their next one til Saban got them the win in 2003 season. 45 yrs in between NC's...FWIW

10/3/2012, 11:59 PM
How much rice can a Chinaman eat?VIVA EL BUD! 47 STRAIGHT BABY! LET'S DO IT AGAIN!

10/4/2012, 12:06 AM
Agreed. To me it seems as the issues we are having keep compounding as we regress as a team. As this is happening we watch the offense continue to get worse even as the talent seems to improve.

We seem stuck with Landry with a lot of unknown after he is gone with many ready to move on right now.Well said. I'm feeling just about the same way.

Jacie
10/4/2012, 06:22 AM
Well, it is not all bad news. USC has a loss too . . .

8timechamps
10/4/2012, 12:58 PM
Funny how bad performances, alarming trends, and underachieving prompts one questioning whether fans are spoiled. It's as though we should adjust our expectations any time the team stinks up the field so that it's our expectations that are out of whack and not the state of the program.

"Spoiled" would be expecting to win every game with a new QB and after graduating half the team. Expecting an offense led by a four-year starter to look better than inept is not the definition of spoiled. Maybe a better question would be; Are these coaches spoiled?

Which is pretty much what happened when Landry took over, and what will happen next year when Landry's gone. Even though we all realize how tough it's going to be to break in a new QB, we're all still going to expect to win. We're spoiled.

Wishboned
10/4/2012, 01:03 PM
My opinion is that if you don't go into a season expecting your team to win it all then why bother even cheering? We're not a "team on the rise". We don't do moral victories. The only bright side I want to see is the bright side of the scoreboard where we're ahead at the end of the game.

We're not supposed to rebuild, we're supposed to reload.

FirstandGoal
10/4/2012, 01:34 PM
Okay, so at first my answer was going to be "no", but then I took some time to think about what the term spoiled really means in the context of this question.

Just the knowledge that I avoid this place like the plague a few days after a loss because I get sick and tired of all of the dumbass bitching, moaning and "we're doomed" threads, ad nauseam, means that yeah.... we're a bit spoiled as a fan base. Witness the many tantrums thrown during a loss week.

Hell, I knew before this season started we were likely to have about 3 losses by the end of the season so the other day, while greatly disappointing, was not surprising either. However, there are may fans both here and other places who are just like spoiled children. They want what they want, when they want, how they want, and never stop to consider the logic of it. Kind of like three year olds. They want to win every single game RIGHT NOW without a single thought as to how difficult and amazing an achievement that truly is.

I'm not saying we should accept complacency or mediocrity and of course we should always be striving to achieve the very best, but at some point in time reality comes calling. Right now we're a bit behind the eight ball and I hope to God the powers that be can correct the course.

FirstandGoal
10/4/2012, 01:35 PM
My opinion is that if you don't go into a season expecting your team to win it all then why bother even cheering? We're not a "team on the rise". We don't do moral victories. The only bright side I want to see is the bright side of the scoreboard where we're ahead at the end of the game.

We're not supposed to rebuild, we're supposed to reload.

The 1990's called and they want your fan card back.

Wishboned
10/4/2012, 01:54 PM
The 1990's called and they want your fan card back.

Are you saying you accepted the mediocrity of the 90's?

Jack T.
10/4/2012, 01:57 PM

Sounds like you're not a real fan unless you are happy even when you are getting blown out of the stadium.

Mark me down in the "not a fan" category.

Mississippi Sooner
10/4/2012, 02:14 PM
I was not happy or accepting of what happened in the 90s, but I was just as much a fan through that decade as I was before or since. I guess I do believe I'm spoiled, though, because no matter what happens, I always believe the Sooners will get better.

StoopTroup
10/4/2012, 02:23 PM

I'll answer this as it's when my Family bought 12 seats together. We didn't accept mediocrity....we accepted that it was more than likely the low point for our Football Program and that supporting them then would payoff in the future and we would be able to take our children and our children's children to OU Sooner Games once the Tradition of winning kicked back in.

We all are still there and some of our kids are going to school there now.

We believe that great things are possible when you support your Team and your University.

Soonerjeepman
10/4/2012, 02:43 PM
spoiled...no

I would have expected OU to win ONE of those other MNC appearances...I know luck is a big part of it. Going through the '70s '80s...then after the 90's ANYTHING was great.

Guess I wonder WHY we are so young/inexperienced at every position and it shows. I've never thought Stoops did a great job of subbing players. It SEEMED he kept the starters in until the 4th quarter, even in blowouts, which in turn has hurt our players for lack of experience. We have 4 Sr on the Dline but ya couldn't tell by their play...so it seems.

SoonerNomad
10/4/2012, 04:57 PM
Okay, so at first my answer was going to be "no", but then I took some time to think about what the term spoiled really means in the context of this question.

Just the knowledge that I avoid this place like the plague a few days after a loss because I get sick and tired of all of the dumbass bitching, moaning and "we're doomed" threads, ad nauseam, means that yeah.... we're a bit spoiled as a fan base. Witness the many tantrums thrown during a loss week.

Hell, I knew before this season started we were likely to have about 3 losses by the end of the season so the other day, while greatly disappointing, was not surprising either. However, there are may fans both here and other places who are just like spoiled children. They want what they want, when they want, how they want, and never stop to consider the logic of it. Kind of like three year olds. They want to win every single game RIGHT NOW without a single thought as to how difficult and amazing an achievement that truly is.

I'm not saying we should accept complacency or mediocrity and of course we should always be striving to achieve the very best, but at some point in time reality comes calling. Right now we're a bit behind the eight ball and I hope to God the powers that be can correct the course.

This is how I feel about it. That is evidenced by this being the first time back on the board since the Kansas State game. I expect the Sooners to compete for conference titles and national championships. Does it make me spoiled. I don't think so. I also know that it isn't easy to win either of those. A kind of sadness (almost depression) sets in after a loss like Kansas State. Just taking care of the ball inside our own five and inside of their five and the result is different. Just converting a third down or stopping Klein from converting in the fourth quarter and this team wins a game that I think it should have won.

What I don't like to do after a loss is hear Sooner fans act like these coaches either don't know what they are doing or are coasting to a new contract. Drives me nuts. My brother texted me during the game and said its time for Coach Stoops to go. I still haven't responded. That's evidence to me of being spoiled.

I remember the 90's. I remember saying in 2001 that I would never forget the depths the OU program had reached in the 90's. Coach Stoops has created such a quality program that it is extremely disappointing to play like the Sooners have down the stretch of last season and thus far this year.

8timechamps
10/4/2012, 05:20 PM
I think it may be a matter of semantics for some folks, so I looked at the actual definition...here it is:

spoil   noun, verb (used with object)

1.to damage severely or harm (something), especially with reference to its excellence, value, usefulness, etc.: The water stain spoiled the painting. Drought spoiled the corn crop.

Okay, this doesn't apply.

2. to diminish or impair the quality of; affect detrimentally: Bad weather spoiled their vacation.

Nor does this.

3.to impair, damage, or harm the character or nature of (someone) by unwise treatment, excessive indulgence, etc.: to spoil a child by pampering him.

Ding, Ding, Ding...we have a winnah!

Excessive indulgence = Winning. A lot!

I think some of you think being called a "spoiled fan" is an insult. It's not. We, as fans, are used to winning. A lot. We are spoiled fans, because we have won a lot. You know who isn't spoiled? Fans of teams that don't win a lot.

BoulderSooner79
10/4/2012, 06:40 PM
3.to impair, damage, or harm the character or nature of (someone) by unwise treatment, excessive indulgence, etc.: to spoil a child by pampering him.

I think some of you think being called a "spoiled fan" is an insult. It's not. We, as fans, are used to winning. A lot. We are spoiled fans, because we have won a lot. You know who isn't spoiled? Fans of teams that don't win a lot.

Maybe not an insult, but there is certainly some negatives to being impaired, damaged, or harmed in character or nature wouldn't you say?
The "damage" I can see is that a spoiled fan will never enjoy the game again once their team has won a championship, except in the rare occurence of another championship. The good news is getting spoiled is an individual choice, not something imposed.

8timechamps
10/4/2012, 06:56 PM
Maybe not an insult, but there is certainly some negatives to being impaired, damaged, or harmed in character or nature wouldn't you say?
The "damage" I can see is that a spoiled fan will never enjoy the game again once their team has won a championship, except in the rare occurence of another championship. The good news is getting spoiled is an individual choice, not something imposed.

Sure, there is a definite negative connotation associated with being "spoiled". But, I think it comes back to semantics, and I don't view it as an insult. I prefer it over the alternative.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I (me, personally) don't consider being a spoiled Sooner fan a bad thing. I do, however, think that there are fans that are the very definition of the word, and I would concur that those fans probably don't ever enjoy the game.

FirstandGoal
10/4/2012, 08:50 PM

Sure, there is a definite negative connotation associated with being "spoiled". But, I think it comes back to semantics, and I don't view it as an insult. I prefer it over the alternative.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I (me, personally) don't consider being a spoiled Sooner fan a bad thing. I do, however, think that there are fans that are the very definition of the word, and I would concur that those fans probably don't ever enjoy the game.

I can agree with this. As a fanbase in general, we are spoiled because we're so used to success and we have the name and the tradition to back it up. When that crosses the line from not necessarily being a bad thing like 8TC says and starts becoming a problem is when folks become unrealistic and have false expectations and then completely overreact because of their "crimson glasses."

In no way am I saying that mediocrity should be acceptable. In fact, in most cases I find mediocrity completely UNacceptable in my life, but I also have a healthy dose of realism when it comes to what we're both capable and not capable of year in and year out.

Being "spoiled" in the way that 8TC is talking about is the good kind that all of us should aspire to. Acting the fool after a loss, calling for the firing of the entire coaching staff, not understanding that one team cannot win their conference championship every single year or go to a BCS game every single year or finish in the top 5 every single year and acting like a three year old throwing a temper tantrum when this doesn't happen is another matter.

BoulderSooner79
10/4/2012, 10:57 PM
My point is that "spoiled" is neither a good or bad attribute except as it pertains to myself. A spoiled fan is never happy and can't enjoy the sport unless things go exactly their way, which they rarely do. A good example would be a rebuilding year where an inexperienced squad grows with each game and is clearly building to something big in the future. The '05 Sooners were such a squad, but I saw many a fan that thought the team and coaches sucked. I found it a very satisfying season. I really didn't care how others viewed it. In fact, I was entertained by some of the meltdowns (a guilty sin, I guess).