PDA

View Full Version : 30 for 30: Broke

ouleaf
10/2/2012, 02:05 PM
Next round of 30 for 30's debuts tonight. This one focusing on the nature of and frequency of athletes blowing their fortunes. Will be tuned in for sure.

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=broke

badger
10/2/2012, 02:20 PM
If Stoops' call-in show is on, I may tune in there. Otherwise, I'll probably watch

Mississippi Sooner
10/2/2012, 02:27 PM
Very timely subject, given recent headlines.

radio
10/2/2012, 02:54 PM
I think that it is hilarious when these idiots go broke. Then they MIGHT learn how to live on a budget.

Oh, but wait, its not their fault. Because, they are the only people in this country that people and businesses try to screw out of their money.

badger
10/2/2012, 02:58 PM
It is hard to sympathize with the athletes themselves, given the current economy (kind of like it's hard to not be angry at coaches after losses when they're making millions annually).

However, when an athlete goes broke, it's usually not just his own financial detriment, but parents, siblings, wive(s, if there's exes) and a boatload of kids. Adults can usually find their own income, but kids? Sad :(

8timechamps
10/2/2012, 03:54 PM
ESPN has done a good job with all of the 30 for 30 movies, I'm sure this will be good.

8timechamps
10/2/2012, 03:56 PM
It is hard to sympathize with the athletes themselves, given the current economy (kind of like it's hard to not be angry at coaches after losses when they're making millions annually).

However, when an athlete goes broke, it's usually not just his own financial detriment, but parents, siblings, wive(s, if there's exes) and a boatload of kids. Adults can usually find their own income, but kids? Sad :(

I would bet that the majority (if not all) of the athletes that go broke gave millions to their entourage. I'm sure that'll be discussed in the documentary.

Mississippi Sooner
10/2/2012, 04:00 PM
I think my favorite 30 for 30 so far has been June 17, 1994. That was the day that Arnie played his last round in the US Open, the World Cup kicked off in the US, the Rangers celebrated their Stanley Cup, the NBA Playoffs were going on...and the day ended with OJ and the infamous slow speed chase in the white Bronco. I liked how they did they did whole episode without any narration. They just let the day speak for itself.

8timechamps
10/2/2012, 04:04 PM
I think my favorite 30 for 30 so far has been June 17, 1994. That was the day that Arnie played his last round in the US Open, the World Cup kicked off in the US, the Rangers celebrated their Stanley Cup, the NBA Playoffs were going on...and the day ended with OJ and the infamous slow speed chase in the white Bronco. I liked how they did they did whole episode without any narration. They just let the day speak for itself.

That was a good one. I really liked Run Marcus, Run. But, my favorite was the Story of the two Escobars. It wasn't something I would usually be interested in, but turned out to be really good.

cleller
10/2/2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the alert. I ignore most TV these days.

Since71ASooner4Life
10/2/2012, 05:46 PM
It's hard to feel sympathy for a d-bag like T.O. when they are broke, but the others are pretty sad. A lot of them get screwed by people they trusted, including relatives. I'm not trying to be funny, but think about a guy like Vince Young. Obviously not the brightest guy in the world, and that had to be recognized by those who took advantage of him.

8timechamps
10/2/2012, 08:30 PM
Pretty good. It's hard to really delve into a subject like that in an hour and a half. It boils down to athletes understanding that they have to live on what they make in the few short years they make it. Given that so many of these athletes come from nothing, they struggle with understanding that it's not going to last forever.

cleller
10/2/2012, 09:24 PM
It kind of bounced around, but it got lots of stories crammed in. The whole thing is not at all surprising, watching the way these guys behave, but its still hard to believe they don't have the sense to at least stick a big chunk somewhere safe.

Breadburner
10/2/2012, 10:31 PM
What a waste...Did anyone hear anything earth-shattering......???

picasso
10/2/2012, 11:30 PM
Mo money mo problems.

Blue
10/3/2012, 01:10 AM
Reminded me of the Dave Chapelle reparation sketch. Lol.

Fg6J1Skptbs

Jason White's Third Knee
10/3/2012, 06:37 AM
Can't Vince just get a gig dragging his Heismann around and signing autographs?

Oh. Wait...

Boomer.....
10/3/2012, 07:34 AM
http://www.goodbooksandgoodwine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/make-it-rain-guys.gif

badger
10/3/2012, 09:09 AM
Can't Vince just get a gig dragging his Heismann around and signing autographs?

Oh. Wait...

Texas will never win another national title, so maybe he can appear at 2005 crystal ball shows. Remember me? I single-handedly defeated USC! ME! (and admit it - you and I all cheered when they did it cuz we hated the condoms so much)

I watched this instead of Stoops' show and I loved the pacing - one sound bit after another. No touchy feely music with voiceover narrator (but there was tons of that in E:60 right before, boo), comparing it to the country's own spend-into-debt ways at the time of the dot-come and housing bubbles.

Andre Rison was a replacement receiver late in the Packers' Super Bowl XXXI season. He was outstanding, but we cut him loose right after the win. Why? Because he had a bad attitude, which was on full public display when he was with the Browns before they moved to Baltimore:

"We didn't make the f***ing move. So, for all the booers, f*** you too. I'll be glad when we get to Baltimore, if that's the case. We don't have any home-field advantage. I've never been booed at home. Baltimore's our home. Baltimore, here we come."

Irony was that he didn't make Baltimore his home, he went to Jax instead after that... so was it his money mismanagement that led him to financial ruin, or the fact that he was an arsehole?

C&CDean
10/3/2012, 09:14 AM
I didn't watch it. Was I right in the other thread?

nighttrain12
10/3/2012, 12:44 PM
All these guys can still get regular jobs after they retire from sports so I am not going to feel sorry for them. No one should believe a 'five year stretch' of making multi-millions is supposed to last you the rest of your life, especially if you plan on living past age 70.

I just hope in the end they enjoyed their brief time with more money than they knew what to do with.

8timechamps
10/3/2012, 02:38 PM
All these guys can still get regular jobs after they retire from sports so I am not going to feel sorry for them. No one should believe a 'five year stretch' of making multi-millions is supposed to last you the rest of your life, especially if you plan on living past age 70.

I just hope in the end they enjoyed their brief time with more money than they knew what to do with.

If you make 100 million in a 5-10 year stretch, there is NO reason it shouldn't be more than adequate enough to last a lifetime. Hell, even 20-30 million would be more than adequate. The average American makes between 1.5 and 2.5 million over a lifetime, most of these guys make that in the first year.

The smart ones get their degree while in school so that they do have something to produce income after retirement. Still, if they were just sound in how they handle their money early, it wouldn't matter.

badger
10/3/2012, 03:00 PM
In addition, NFL players get pensions when they turn 55, so long as they were active three games each season for three seasons.

Link (http://savannahnow.com/adam-van-brimmer/2006-09-29/qualifying-nfl-pension-big-deal-players#.UGyXI67nfTo)

OJ has famously lived off his NFL pension since the wrongful death lawsuit can't touch it (or had family sponge off it, (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2125194/O-J-Simpson-furious-daughter-squandering-pension-sits-jail-letting-mansion-fall-foreclosure.html) hehe)

cleller
10/3/2012, 07:13 PM
If you make 100 million in a 5-10 year stretch, there is NO reason it shouldn't be more than adequate enough to last a lifetime. Hell, even 20-30 million would be more than adequate. The average American makes between 1.5 and 2.5 million over a lifetime, most of these guys make that in the first year.

The smart ones get their degree while in school so that they do have something to produce income after retirement. Still, if they were just sound in how they handle their money early, it wouldn't matter.

If someone gave me a couple mil at age 22, I could have survived a lifetime. I was 22 in 1984. Off to the races.

8timechamps
10/3/2012, 10:12 PM
If someone gave me a couple mil at age 22, I could have survived a lifetime. I was 22 in 1984. Off to the races.

If only we knew then what we know now! Oh, and had a couple of million bucks!