PDA

View Full Version : Rules favor offenses

JiminyChristmas
10/2/2012, 11:47 AM
There was a line of questions at Bob's presser about any rule changes that could be made to help out the defenses. He said, no, not really.

In today's article by Jason Kersey, he asked Mike Stoops the same question and got the same answer, except, Mike added that "the QB run game is the difference. Being in shotgun and pull it and run. It's the difference in the NFL too.".

If that is truly what makes todays' offenses so hard to defend, why have we not recruited to and played that type of offense. Obviously we've been pretty darn good on offense anyway (esp 2008), but it seems you should try to do what's hardest to stop. When Bob first came to OU, he said he brought Leach because the UK offense was the toughest to prepare for while at Florida. Now, so many people do it, that maybe it is not so tough because you work it every week.

Just seems like maybe we need to rethink the system and start evolving to the next "toughest thing to defend".

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2012, 11:55 AM
Bob has said on multiple occasions that he doesn't want his QBs running a bunch because of the risk of injury.

goingoneight
10/2/2012, 12:01 PM
It adds another dimension to the gameplan for DCs to scratch their heads about. But that only works if you're good at it. IOW... watch what happens if KSU has to dig out of a three score deficit with five minutes left in regulation and Klein has to run a hurry up.
There's no formula to success other than executing your gameplan.

JiminyChristmas
10/2/2012, 12:01 PM
I don't think they have to run a bunch to be effective. Just the threat that they can run, and do so even just 5 times per game by design, is enough to make the defense have to honor it.

Just a dimension we have none of with our guy right now. The bootleg on 4th down by Landry in the championship game against Nebraska is the only designed QB run I've seen called for him in 4 years.

JiminyChristmas
10/2/2012, 12:06 PM
To be clear, I'm not talking about a run first guy like Klein at KState. A throw first guy, but enough of a threat and used enough to be the nightmare for other defenses that it seems to be to our defensive coaches.

agoo758
10/2/2012, 12:08 PM
It adds another dimension to the gameplan for DCs to scratch their heads about. But that only works if you're good at it. IOW... watch what happens if KSU has to dig out of a three score deficit with five minutes left in regulation and Klein has to run a hurry up.
There's no formula to success other than executing your gameplan.

Except that our "bubble screen and delayed draw out of the pistol formation" won't over come three score deficits either....

dennis580
10/2/2012, 12:10 PM
Bob has said on multiple occasions that he doesn't want his QBs running a bunch because of the risk of injury.

We will next year with Bell I can guarantee it. Our offense will look much different.

badger
10/2/2012, 12:39 PM
"Rules favor offense"

No kidding! Convicted of penalties they didn't even commit. I mean, do we give Nobel Prizes for attempted chemistry?!

Pass interference: The wide receiver didn't make enough of an effort to catch the ball, so we are rewarding the offense with a first down and 15 yards from the previous spot.

Roughing the passer/kicker: Why, exactly, do we issue you a helmet, shoulder pads and everything else if you are just going to flail and whine every time a defensive player hits you.

Targeting: Oh, did you expect the defense to NOT target the offensive player with the ball? Did the person writing the rules ever watch a football game before?!

Facemask: If they didn't want defensive players to grab it, they shouldn't have included finger holes.

Pass interference in the endzone: You weren't good enough to catch a touchdown pass, so we are now going to move the ball to at least the 2-yard-line. Maybe instead of having to catch the ball, one of your teammates can just run the ball in, instead.

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2012, 01:05 PM
I don't think they have to run a bunch to be effective. Just the threat that they can run, and do so even just 5 times per game by design, is enough to make the defense have to honor it.

Just a dimension we have none of with our guy right now. The bootleg on 4th down by Landry in the championship game against Nebraska is the only designed QB run I've seen called for him in 4 years.

I agree - that's why I threw in "a bunch". Geno Smith comes to mind. WVU does not have him running by design, but he sure has burned defenses with his legs when receivers aren't open. I also think that QBs that have a knack for running are less likely to get injured than guys that are statues and get all twisted up when sacked. But that knack for running is not just being athletic, it is feeling when and in which direction to run. LJ is plenty quick enough, but doesn't seem to have the feel for it.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/2/2012, 01:44 PM
Heupel actually ran for positive yardage in the 2000 season and Oklahoma won the NC. Not the greatest example obviously, but giving the Sooner QB a little freedom here and there really helps and gives defenses another thing to think about and they can still be surprised by it coming at the same time. That run play for Landry in the 2010 Big 12 title game against Nebraska was pure awesomeness at a key time in the game.

Over protecting your QBs leads to not winning NCs because you are limiting your offense and injuries can occur at any time anyway. At some point, you just have to play football and hope you don't have an injury. I rather see a QB take off for positive yardage and be aware of what is around him and dive before potential contact than stand in the pocket while waiting for a receiver to get open that never gets open and the QB ends up getting decked anyway.

hvhurricane
10/2/2012, 04:38 PM
First of all, Stoops is never going to have a running QB. He did it a little bit with Bomar as QB and he was paranoid the whole time that he was going to get hurt. He decided then that he was never going to have a running QB.

Secondly, Stoops says the rules favor the offense, which they do, so his answer in the press conference is that Williams needs to get more carries. He really believes we need to be a balanced team so we can protect his brother's defense. We need to be a pass first team and air it out. We are not going to be able to run the ball for 200 yards with this depleted line. It is a lot easier to pass block than it is to run block. We do not have the talent to run a base offense and pound the ball.

8timechamps
10/2/2012, 05:39 PM
Who's to say we haven't recruited more toward that? We've been pretty set at QB for the past 6-8 years (albeit that could be arguable this year...har har). Bell is able to pull the rock down and run it, and there are a couple of other QBs in the system that can do that. We also have a QB commit coming in next year that is more than capable of running the ball.

goingoneight
10/3/2012, 09:41 AM
Chris Wanker
Josh Heupel
Dorsey
Mauk
Leinert
Leak
Flynn
McElroy
McCarron

All guys in recent years to win a championship without going all Tebow/VY on the opposition. Championships come down to making plays (execution) when you need to make them... offense, defense and/or special teams. This is why I don't see what we've done with our pocket passer QBs as hurting our chances.
That said, I think this year's offense is trying too hard to make Landry the Superman of CFB. Even the greatest can crumble when your gameplan is living by the sword that way. The whole offense has to pick up their game and be more consistent. It's what all of our previous great offenses were a result of all parts consistently executing. We're not getting that right now out of anyone on that side of the ball.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/3/2012, 10:58 AM
Chris Wanker
Josh Heupel
Dorsey
Mauk
Leinert
Leak
Flynn
McElroy
McCarron

All guys in recent years to win a championship without going all Tebow/VY on the opposition. Championships come down to making plays (execution) when you need to make them... offense, defense and/or special teams. This is why I don't see what we've done with our pocket passer QBs as hurting our chances.
That said, I think this year's offense is trying too hard to make Landry the Superman of CFB. Even the greatest can crumble when your gameplan is living by the sword that way. The whole offense has to pick up their game and be more consistent. It's what all of our previous great offenses were a result of all parts consistently executing. We're not getting that right now out of anyone on that side of the ball.

There is another common theme with most of those teams those QBs represented and that is fielding legit defenses. Mike Stoops will be able to do that, so now the Sooners just need a QB that won't lose games for them, which unfortunately, it not currently in place.

hvhurricane
10/3/2012, 02:01 PM
There is another common theme with most of those teams those QBs represented and that is fielding legit defenses. Mike Stoops will be able to do that, so now the Sooners just need a QB that won't lose games for them, which unfortunately, it not currently in place.

I would have thought the same thing about Mike, but his gameplan against KSU on the last series was crap. Not putting any pressure on the QB on the third downs was ridiculous. And playing in a base 4-3, with the LB's 6 yards deep on a third and four, with none of them blitzing the gaps, was stupid. Everyone knew they were going to run the QB keep and we stay with our LB's 6 yards deep? Are you kidding me?

Fraggle145
10/3/2012, 03:08 PM
Alabama's defense doesnt seem to have a problem. Just sayin'.

odontia
10/4/2012, 10:07 AM
I recently watched some archived games of OU and was surprised by how much Hybl extended plays by using his feet. We don't need Micheal Vick, but chopping your legs up and down in the same place doesnt help.

bluedogok
10/4/2012, 02:28 PM
I have never understood why the backup QB always seems to be the favorite with some people, it has been that way as long as I can remember. Some people thought Steve Davis, Thomas Lott, J.C. Watts, Danny Bradley, Troy Aikman, Jamelle Holieway, Charles Thompson, etc. all sucked and the backup is who should be playing. I think Hybl and Landry's biggest perception problem is who they followed at the position.

StoopTroup
10/4/2012, 02:33 PM
I would have thought the same thing about Mike, but his gameplan against KSU on the last series was crap. Not putting any pressure on the QB on the third downs was ridiculous. And playing in a base 4-3, with the LB's 6 yards deep on a third and four, with none of them blitzing the gaps, was stupid. Everyone knew they were going to run the QB keep and we stay with our LB's 6 yards deep? Are you kidding me?

Nobody wants to hear that. They don't want to hear that Bell won't be the QB next year either.

Scott D
10/4/2012, 04:55 PM
There was a line of questions at Bob's presser about any rule changes that could be made to help out the defenses. He said, no, not really.

In today's article by Jason Kersey, he asked Mike Stoops the same question and got the same answer, except, Mike added that "the QB run game is the difference. Being in shotgun and pull it and run. It's the difference in the NFL too.".

If that is truly what makes todays' offenses so hard to defend, why have we not recruited to and played that type of offense. Obviously we've been pretty darn good on offense anyway (esp 2008), but it seems you should try to do what's hardest to stop. When Bob first came to OU, he said he brought Leach because the UK offense was the toughest to prepare for while at Florida. Now, so many people do it, that maybe it is not so tough because you work it every week.

Just seems like maybe we need to rethink the system and start evolving to the next "toughest thing to defend".

You can thank Jason White's ACL's for his preference for his Quarterbacks not to run.

JiminyChristmas
10/4/2012, 05:44 PM
You can thank Jason White's ACL's for his preference for his Quarterbacks not to run.

If that's the case, he needs to get over it. You can't go through life scared. I guess none of us should ever fly on a plane again using that kind of logic.

8timechamps
10/4/2012, 05:53 PM
If that's the case, he needs to get over it. You can't go through life scared. I guess none of us should ever fly on a plane again using that kind of logic.

As much as Bob tries to call our offense "balanced", we are a pass-first/QB-centric offense. If our QB gets hurt, it really hurts our offense. Teams that are heavy with the QB run aren't quiet in the same situation. If Colin Klein goes down, there's probably a guy that can run the offense just like Klein. I don't think that guy would be as good, but he could certainly carry the ball in their offense.

The thing is, there have been teams that successfully do both. Look at Oregon, their offense is both QB-centirc and running-QB. The only thing negative I can really say about that is; it's yet to win a national title.