PDA

View Full Version : ok..different type of thread for here...career type

Soonerjeepman
10/2/2012, 11:31 AM
Just curious...

I think we all agree to disagree on the politics..but after reading lots of posts by everyone, just curious as to your career. Nothing hidden, just curious.
Add if ya like. (TRY to be serious...)

me, ele technology teacher in KC kansas, urban school
..next...

badger
10/2/2012, 11:37 AM
I am what Gundy would call "A mother. Of children."

Actually, just one child. A 6-month old. If you ever hear me referring to "Baby Badger," that's her. If she was a boy, I would have called her "Baby NP" on here. But since she's a girl, "Baby Badger"

But she is definitely daddy's little girl, no doubt about it. :)

yermom
10/2/2012, 11:48 AM
i do hardware and software support for people running Linux

KantoSooner
10/2/2012, 11:49 AM
Independent Food Ingredient Broker

glorified term for commissioned sales guy.

You know all those weird items on the ingredient declaration on your food packaging? I sell most of that stuff.

Or try to.

achiro
10/2/2012, 11:50 AM
Just curious...

I think we all agree to disagree on the politics..but after reading lots of posts by everyone, just curious as to your career. Nothing hidden, just curious.
Add if ya like. (TRY to be serious...)

me, ele technology teacher in KC kansas, urban school
..next...
Which school? I went to Argentine Middle and JC Harmon HS for a while.

BillyBall
10/2/2012, 11:52 AM
Work for a Private Equity firm in Chicago. Supposedly, we ruin lives.

Soonerjeepman
10/2/2012, 12:06 PM
Which school? I went to Argentine Middle and JC Harmon HS for a while.

Banneker, 4th and parallel...my buddy coaches bball at Harmon now, coached at Bishop Ward and Schlagle for awhile. When were you here? been at Banneker for 23 yrs

SoonerAtKU
10/2/2012, 12:23 PM
I work for a publishing company that most people haven't heard of, and I'm in Supplier Management.

okie52
10/2/2012, 12:39 PM

LOL

okie52
10/2/2012, 12:43 PM
My wife and I own an insurance agency and I also do oil and gas work. We've sold our souls to the devil.

pphilfran
10/2/2012, 12:43 PM

You should quit and give all your riches to charity...

jk the sooner fan
10/2/2012, 12:45 PM
i investigate alleged violations of law under 5 USC 2302

pphilfran
10/2/2012, 12:45 PM
Small business - wholesale

Prior to that I worked in manufacturing

Prior to that retail grocery

I reinvent myself every 10 or 20 years..

C&CDean
10/2/2012, 12:46 PM

hells yes you do. You tell them to go to Sox games...

I am a private hay producer that works part-time for a car dealership managing transportation.

hawaii 5-0
10/2/2012, 12:49 PM
Blue collar

Body Shop.

5-0

rock on sooner
10/2/2012, 12:51 PM
I'm retired...from a 40+ year retail career.

Mississippi Sooner
10/2/2012, 01:31 PM
I'm the operations manager for a manufacturing company. What does that mean? Well, I used to think that old Super Bowl commercials that showed the cowboys herding cats was funny. Now, I completely understanding what herding cats would be like. But, I love living just a half hour from St Louis and going to all the Cardinal games I want to, so I'm really not complaining.

C&CDean
10/2/2012, 01:50 PM
I'm retired...from a 40+ year retail career.

Yeah, me too. Retired from a 36-year career being a public slave - then really went to work.

TUSooner
10/2/2012, 02:22 PM
Staff attorney for a federal appellate court. My colleagues and I mostly review federal criminal appeals and other petitions or motions from prisoners who want their convictions or sentences overturned. We tell the court (in a most professional and concise manner, of course) whether any claims have merit. We review a few other types of cases too.

Petro-Sooner
10/2/2012, 02:37 PM
Geologist for an oil company. Look for places to poke holes in the ground.

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2012, 02:47 PM
Well I used to work in restaurant management. But after battling the dead end of that career, I have changed and work for the Ponca City Public schools.

Love it. Great benefits, but not the greatest pay.

diverdog
10/2/2012, 03:40 PM
I am banker. Under that umbrella I do small business lending, government banking , and refer business to our various business units such as corporate trust and brokerage services. It is a good job, pays well but I never saw myself as a banker. I am blessed that I work for a very well run bank with great managers.

Jobs I have done in the past since HS:

Air Force Loadmaster (active and reserves)
Business Insurance Sales for a large independent agency
Small Business Equipment sales for Xerox
Small Business Equipment sales for Minolta
Prep Chef in a kitchen
Grill Chef in a Kitchen
worked in retail stores (who hasn't)
Farm Hand
Ranch Hand
Cook for a caterer.....still do that today
mate on a fishing boat (some days I made a $1000) dangerous work and not always reliable.
Mowed lawns
Owner a small Apple retail business.....that did not turn out so well. :)
Waiter/bar back/bartender in a restaurant
Set tents up for my friends rental business

My dog just farted and I have lost my train of thought. This one made my ears tear up. I need to change his food. LOL

Most of my life I have had two or three jobs. I am not afraid of work and I do a lot of volunteering when I am not working.

diverdog
10/2/2012, 03:45 PM
Well I used to work in restaurant management. But after battling the dead end of that career, I have changed and work for the Ponca City Public schools.

I know I bust your chops and all but the restaurant management field is tough business. No one can say you haven't worked your *** off. Glad you found a job you love.

Soonerjeepman
10/2/2012, 04:34 PM

ah...my folks are from Medford..we'd head to Ponca City once in awhile with the grandparents for a "meal out".

Soonerjeepman
10/2/2012, 04:35 PM
Yeah, DD..

I have done quite a bit as well. Not afraid to work.

Soonerjeepman
10/2/2012, 04:38 PM
I find it interesting to see how some of the political views do NOT match up to jobs..(at least what the perceived match should be)...like me (education) is considered more liberal but I'm not. DD you're a banker so most would think conservative but you're not (well..accused of not! lol).

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 05:03 PM
Heh, According to SouthCarolina Sooner. Im a Bum on "Veterans Welfare":very_drunk:

My 1st Full time Well Summer anyway, was when I was 14 Got paid 2 bucks a day working a Ranch with 300 head of cattle/ and about 200 acres of rice farming
worked 7 days a week from Can see to way after caint see.

C&CDean
10/2/2012, 05:13 PM
Heh, According to SouthCarolina Sooner. Im a Bum on "Veterans Welfare":very_drunk:

My 1st Full time Well Summer anyway, was when I was 14 Got paid 2 bucks a day working a Ranch with 300 head of cattle/ and about 200 acres of rice farming

You know what's funny/bad? I work 7 days a week from can to can't now. Have since about 2 years before I retired. If I get inside the house and have a shower/supper by 9 it's a good day. Hell, I've got game cam pics of 7 very nice shooter bucks and 1 effing monster and I can't find time to hit the deer stand with my bow. Going to Orlando this weekend for a couple day mini-vacation and I'll be all "crap, I've got **** to get done" the whole time. When does this **** happen to people? I thought I was just as lazy as the next guy back in the day.

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 05:16 PM
You know what's funny/bad? I work 7 days a week from can to can't now. Have since about 2 years before I retired. If I get inside the house and have a shower/supper by 9 it's a good day. Hell, I've got game cam pics of 7 very nice shooter bucks and 1 effing monster and I can't find time to hit the deer stand with my bow. Going to Orlando this weekend for a couple day mini-vacation and I'll be all "crap, I've got **** to get done" the whole time. When does this **** happen to people? I thought I was just as lazy as the next guy back in the day.

When we are young we do things to get ahead or because they fun
when We get our age now we do em cause we dont know any better :very_drunk:

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 05:27 PM
One thing that pisses me off, Is I cant do the stuff I used to anymore, and I cant find anyone around here whos willing to work and do odd jobs. Dayum Kids would rather sit on their butts and let Mommy an Daddy pay fer everythin.

SouthCarolinaSooner
10/2/2012, 05:42 PM

An according to you I'm a spoiled brat who has never made a car payment :P Although that is technically true, I also don't own a car. I'm a self-supported college student, majoring in International Studies and History. Been fortunate with scholarships that I didn't have to take loans, and I work a little part time at a specialty running store for food/beer $. Hoping to attend OU for graduate school and to finish out my 5th year of athletic eligibility.

So I think we can meet somewhere in the middle with our characterizations of each other, olevet

Skysooner
10/2/2012, 05:45 PM
Petroleum engineer specializing in North American reserves, A&D and a sideline of geomechanics.

Training myself to be a forex and stock trader on the side so that I don't have to work for the rest of my life.

8timechamps
10/2/2012, 06:13 PM
Financial Advisor (aka Stock Broker). Started my career with Merrill Lynch, after 13 years with a big firm, I left and became independent. Have had my own practice (complete with 6 employees) for a little over 5 years. Love my clients, tolerate the industry.

KABOOKIE
10/2/2012, 06:22 PM
I'm an experimental flight test pilot.

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 06:24 PM
An according to you I'm a spoiled brat who has never made a car payment :P Although that is technically true, I also don't own a car. I'm a self-supported college student, majoring in International Studies and History. Been fortunate with scholarships that I didn't have to take loans, and I work a little part time at a specialty running store for food/beer $. Hoping to attend OU for graduate school and to finish out my 5th year of athletic eligibility.

So I think we can meet somewhere in the middle with our characterizations of each other, olevet
Dont think Ive ever said you were spoiled Nor mentioned a Car, May have but then Who knows
I have said I thot yer ****in stupid tho.

LiveLaughLove
10/2/2012, 06:28 PM
I drive a truck route 3 days a week, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Wyoming and back.

I do affiliate marketing, build and seo websites for clients, am working on an e-product for rental property management, an app for Realtor's, and a podcast for truckers.

Taking classes at American Broadcasting School after the new year.

My most interesting job in my younger days was a greyhound race track trainer in Wichita, the Colorado tracks, and Corpus Christi.

cleller
10/2/2012, 06:44 PM

You've just helped me decide about whether or not I should try to develop 1 small hay meadow, or two larger ones.

SouthCarolinaSooner
10/2/2012, 06:57 PM
Dont think Ive ever said you were spoiled Nor mentioned a Car, May have but then Who knows
I have said I thot yer ****in stupid tho.
Alright, it was just Dean then.

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 07:14 PM
Alright, it was just Dean then.

See what I mean?:very_drunk:

rock on sooner
10/2/2012, 07:15 PM
When we are young we do things to get ahead or because they fun
when We get our age now we do em cause we dont know any better :very_drunk:

Vet, I did some odd things from age 12 and 13, but at 14, I got a job on a hay
truck. I supplied my own gloves and heavy trousers (to knee up the bale to the
truck bed) and I got paid three cents a bale (40 to 55 pounds each). Hauling out
of the field and stacking in the HOTTEST hay loft on the face of the earth. One
adventure had us stacking the same load twice 'cause the guy on the bed dint
do it right and we lost the whole dayum load tryin to get out of the field. Finished
the job, got paid enough to buy a couple pairs of Levis ($5.00 a pop) get all my
school stuff and have some money left to treat my sister and two brothers at
the county fair. This was a whole summer's work and a little more than what
I listed but, short of the tasslin' work in the corn fields here in IA, I haven't seen
or heard of any young'uns workin like what we've been talkin.

Carried that same work ethic forward for 53 years. Got two young'uns that have
that ethic, so my life's work is complete!

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 07:23 PM
Vet, I did some odd things from age 12 and 13, but at 14, I got a job on a hay
truck. I supplied my own gloves and heavy trousers (to knee up the bale to the
truck bed) and I got paid three cents a bale (40 to 55 pounds each). Hauling out
of the field and stacking in the HOTTEST hay loft on the face of the earth. One
adventure had us stacking the same load twice 'cause the guy on the bed dint
do it right and we lost the whole dayum load tryin to get out of the field. Finished
the job, got paid enough to buy a couple pairs of Levis ($5.00 a pop) get all my
school stuff and have some money left to treat my sister and two brothers at
the county fair. This was a whole summer's work and a little more than what
I listed but, short of the tasslin' work in the corn fields here in IA, I haven't seen
or heard of any young'uns workin like what we've been talkin.

Carried that same work ethic forward for 53 years. Got two young'uns that have
that ethic, so my life's work is complete!

Heh, I member when I was a Builder, My boys would ask me for money. 6 an 8 er so
I tell em they had to earn it
had this big ole pile of bricks on one end of the Office trailer. They had to move em to the other end and Id pay em. Few days later they wanted More Money , Bricks got moved back to the other end :excitement:

SouthCarolinaSooner
10/2/2012, 07:36 PM
See what I mean?:very_drunk:
:very_drunk::very_drunk::very_drunk::very_drunk:

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 07:40 PM
:very_drunk::very_drunk::very_drunk::very_drunk:

5th year athlete? What sport?

Sooner5030
10/2/2012, 08:14 PM
Mid-career officer in the US Army. Never thought an initial commitment would turn into this. I still don't consider myself a lifer though.

SouthCarolinaSooner
10/2/2012, 08:19 PM
5th year athlete? What sport?
One that ain't got a ball

BigTip
10/2/2012, 08:28 PM
I've owned a restaurant, that I didn't build by the way, for almost 30 years. Restaurant work is all I have ever done, besides one summer working for OU's landscape department.

rock on sooner
10/2/2012, 08:50 PM
I've owned a restaurant, that I didn't build by the way, for almost 30 years. Restaurant work is all I have ever done, besides one summer working for OU's landscape department.

One of the many jobs I've had over the years was bus boy, then short order
cook in a truck stop type place that my aunt and uncle had. Learned to pump
gas and then to work the griddle on multiple burger orders. Can remember my
aunt coming home at night just absolutely bushed (she ran the cafe..damn hard
job!). Still have a hard time with the smell of the grease....

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2012, 09:13 PM
Hell my first real job was haulin hay at the age of 13. I also helped parents in winter split wood and sell it.

I have worked my *** off the last 15 years after college. And between sports.

I was raised that when you go to work, you go to work. Get the jobe done. And play later.

Instilling that in my younguns too.

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2012, 09:17 PM
One that ain't got a ball

Well that narrows it down.

Wrestling?
Gymnastics?
Track and Field?
Swimming?
Diving?
Rowing?
Masterbating?

SouthCarolinaSooner
10/2/2012, 09:29 PM
Well that narrows it down.

Wrestling?
Gymnastics?
Track and Field?
Swimming?
Diving?
Rowing?
Masterbating?
One of those involves balls

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2012, 09:41 PM
One of those involves balls

Not when talking about you.....

ziinnnng!!!

SouthCarolinaSooner
10/2/2012, 09:45 PM
Not when talking about you.....

ziinnnng!!!
hey-o! But really its cross country/track and field.

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2012, 09:50 PM
That's cool. I hated running in football and wrestling, but had to.

SouthCarolinaSooner
10/2/2012, 09:54 PM
That's cool. I hated running in football and wrestling, but had to.
Insert cliche "my sport is your sports punishment" here. Its a shame that many sports condition running as a punishment from an early age, I think it is a very relaxing and enjoyable activity, though I didn't think so when I was a high schooler. Obviously just running is significantly different than hard training, but you get my point.

ouwasp
10/2/2012, 10:08 PM
I teach US History to 8th graders. Married to a chem teacher. During the summer I do the blue collar bit on a school paint crew. I have been really, really blessed. My students are some of the best people I've ever met.

Contemplating what sort of job I'll find after teacher retirement happens in a few years.

diverdog
10/2/2012, 10:32 PM
Financial Advisor (aka Stock Broker). Started my career with Merrill Lynch, after 13 years with a big firm, I left and became independent. Have had my own practice (complete with 6 employees) for a little over 5 years. Love my clients, tolerate the industry.

My sister works for Merrill.

diverdog
10/2/2012, 10:37 PM
I'm an experimental flight test pilot.

Who do you work for?

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 11:08 PM
On medical leave from our own small dental clinic and my real job working for a speech coordinating and statistical research firm.

Chuck Bao
10/3/2012, 12:56 AM
Retired now. Spent 22 years as head of research and chief Thailand economist for various international stock brokerage firms in Asia. And, I did start out working in the hay fields in Oklahoma at age 12 and worked by butt off until retiring two years ago.

East Coast Bias
10/3/2012, 05:34 PM
39 years in retail management, winding down my career in the Baby store business.

TAFBSooner
10/4/2012, 01:37 PM
Mechanical engineer

. . . for a large aerospace organization which I do not speak for. :-)

KABOOKIE
10/4/2012, 01:46 PM
Who do you work for?

Cessna Aircraft.

rock on sooner
10/4/2012, 01:55 PM
Interesting how the Oklahoma hay fields supplied early income for
more than a few of us....

Soonerjeepman
10/4/2012, 01:55 PM
Cessna Aircraft.

got a buddy works there...in Wichita? form there originally

KABOOKIE
10/4/2012, 02:00 PM
What's their name? Yes, in Wichita.

Soonerjeepman
10/4/2012, 02:04 PM
Either Bob Fortney or Pat Cleary...lol...I can't remember, one works at Beech the other Cessna..I think Bob works at Cessna. Drives a jeep.

BigTip
10/4/2012, 02:09 PM
Either Bob Fortney or Pat Cleary...lol...I can't remember, one works at Beech the other Cessna..I think Bob works at Cessna. Drives a jeep.
How old is Pat Cleary? I went to school with a Pat Cleary.

Soonerjeepman
10/4/2012, 02:33 PM
lol..did you go to KMC? class of '82..same with me

8timechamps
10/4/2012, 05:33 PM
My sister works for Merrill.

Merrill was a great company. I'm sure it still is, but I've been removed long enough to be out of the loop. I still have a lot of friends with Merrill. They did a great job in training me, and gave me the opportunity to attain my CFP designation.