PDA

View Full Version : Yall remember , Toothpaste tubes made of lead?

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 08:34 AM
I think The Gov. made em quit that in the very early 70s

badger
10/2/2012, 10:06 AM
Born in the 80s, so no

To make this football related, there was a kid in my high school class that was just barely not on the varsity cross country team his freshman year. The entire team went to state that year.

Due to injuries, bad luck or just not being fast enough, he didn't ever get that close to running at state again.

So what does he do? Complains about the politics of senior runners getting the final spots on the varsity squad his freshman year and how he should have gone to state four years ago, not them.

This is what Mike Gundy is going to do the rest of his coaching career --- complain about how OSU should have gotten the final spot in the national title game, not Alabama. We could have out-gunned LSU. We could have done exactly what LSU did, but because we weren't SEC, because our loss was after the plane crash, because our loss wasn't to an SEC school, because our loss was on the road, because our loss wasn't against the top-ranked team in the country, we got screwed. I got screwed. OSU was the best team in the country that year and never got to prove it. We should have been national champions. I should have been!!!!

What does that have to do with tooth paste? no clue

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 10:09 AM
Born in the 80s, so no

Heh, Leave it to me to put this in the wrong forum, I aint had my mornin OVJ yet :very_drunk:

Guess you dont remember Black an White TeeVee with rabbit ears either. :excitement:

C&CDean
10/2/2012, 10:26 AM
I ain't that old (55), and there's a bunch of stuff I remember:

Beer in steel cans where you had to use a can opener on them. Rotary phones with party lines. B&W TV with only 3 channels. Milk in bottles on the doorstep. Cheese in blocks. Only. Burlap bags full of water hung over the radiator on long trips. The supper bell. No talking in the school cafeteria. 25-cent school lunch - with milk. Drive-in movies with brown sacks of popcorn from home. A stick and a ball instead of video games. No A/C. No VCR. No microwaves. No remote control anything.

achiro
10/2/2012, 10:37 AM
Born in the 80s, so no

To make this football related, there was a kid in my high school class that was just barely not on the varsity cross country team his freshman year. The entire team went to state that year.

Due to injuries, bad luck or just not being fast enough, he didn't ever get that close to running at state again.

So what does he do? Complains about the politics of senior runners getting the final spots on the varsity squad his freshman year and how he should have gone to state four years ago, not them.

This is what Mike Gundy is going to do the rest of his coaching career --- complain about how OSU should have gotten the final spot in the national title game, not Alabama. We could have out-gunned LSU. We could have done exactly what LSU did, but because we weren't SEC, because our loss was after the plane crash, because our loss wasn't to an SEC school, because our loss was on the road, because our loss wasn't against the top-ranked team in the country, we got screwed. I got screwed. OSU was the best team in the country that year and never got to prove it. We should have been national champions. I should have been!!!!

What does that have to do with tooth paste? no clue
Do you ever think, "I wonder if I sit down and type out a novel that is completely unrelated to the original topic (or any other topic in the thread) will I be wasting other people's time and sanity, all the while making me seem crazier than anyone else on the forum?"
Just wondering...

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 10:43 AM

Beer in steel cans where you had to use a can opener on them. Rotary phones with party lines. B&W TV with only 3 channels. Milk in bottles on the doorstep. Cheese in blocks. Only. Burlap bags full of water hung over the radiator on long trips. The supper bell. No talking in the school cafeteria. 25-cent school lunch - with milk. Drive-in movies with brown sacks of popcorn from home. A stick and a ball instead of video games. No A/C. No VCR. No microwaves. No remote control anything.

Heh, The church Key

I remember the Beer cans were made of steel when I was in nam. When we got a chance to buy a case when we were in Base Camp . at least 3 of em had rusted thru and were empty

TheHumanAlphabet
10/2/2012, 12:25 PM
Yeah, Like Dean, I remember when the pull tab was a big deal and they had to teach people how to use them and not to swallow them when you put it into the can...I remember the first TV we had with remote, it was a small clicker box has 4 buttons (I think)...I remember lead tubes for stuff...The milk man...walking or riding bike to school by yourself, no parent driving kids to school...playing outside...

badger
10/2/2012, 12:52 PM
Do you ever think, "I wonder if I sit down and type out a novel that is completely unrelated to the original topic (or any other topic in the thread) will I be wasting other people's time and sanity, all the while making me seem crazier than anyone else on the forum?"
Just wondering...

Nope, but if you feel you're wasting your time you're free to set me to "ignore"

rock on sooner
10/2/2012, 12:57 PM
Heh, The church Key

I remember the Beer cans were made of steel when I was in nam. When we got a chance to buy a case when we were in Base Camp . at least 3 of em had rusted thru and were empty

Yup, getting ready to go out...shined shoes, check, zipper zipped, check,
hair all slicked back, check, church key, check.

C&CDean
10/2/2012, 01:10 PM
And the dress code. In grade/jr. high school it was collared shirts, jeans or slacks (no shorts), no holes in your shoes, and your hair couldn't touch your collar. Girls had to wear dresses. Mom was constantly patching the knees on my jeans cause you couldn't have holes in them.

Dodgeball. Man we played the hell outta dodgeball. And kickball too.

Mississippi Sooner
10/2/2012, 01:42 PM
Crushing your beer can in your fist when it was empty was much more impressive when they were made out of steel.

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 01:44 PM
Barbie and Ken Dolls with plastic hair but the Barbie Dream Houses were not made out of plastic

Hoola Hoops, Jacks, Slinkys, mysterious 8 balls and The Dating Game were in every school girls room

Playing Tether Ball in the backyard, Playing cards, domino's and board games

Swinger Polaroid cameras

The Beatles emergence, The Monkees and The Association

Your dog was with you all day long, without a leash

Making our own Popsicles out of Kool Aid in ice cube trays (The Tupperware ones were a luxury and the sticks always got lost.) Moms didn't like that.

Watching Bonanza in color was a family event

You always said "Yes Ma'am and No Sir" to adults and never called them by their first names. It was Mr. or Mrs.

Almost every set of parents were members of a Bridge Club and Daddies never went away.

Sisters helped their brothers with their paper routes on rainy days even though your brother had cooties.

Halloween costumes were home made and you were not afraid to eat the cookies, popcorn balls and candy/caramel apples your neighbors handed out.

Drive In movies with playgrounds below the screens.

Penn Square Mall was not indoors and Santa was always at the John A. Browns.

Moms and Grandmas always wore a hat and gloves to church. If you lived in Oklahoma City, Adair's and Queen Anne Cafeterias were the place to meet after mass.

Grocery Stores with things you could ride outside for a nickle, if you behaved.

Depending on which door you walked into at Sears, you would either smell, brand new tires on bicycles, or hot cashews.

Getting Baskin and Robbins or Dunkin Donuts were a real treat.

Waiting on the porch for your father to come home in the car pool so you could jump in his arms was one of your favorite things to do.

It was not boring to lay down in the clover searching for one with 4 leaves.

C&CDean
10/2/2012, 01:47 PM
Dang, you are old.

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 01:55 PM
Dang, you are old. Those were good days though, huh? :)

C&CDean
10/2/2012, 03:13 PM
Hells yes they were. I remember my mom and sister bogarting all the Tab and Fresca when they first came out cause they were "dieting." I remember paper routes. Nowadays they have adults deliver them in cars. WTH is that crap?

I remember my very first whole dollar. I collected some paper route money and after I paid the lady that dropped the papers at the paper stop I had about $1.27 left for me. It was in change. I took it to Circle K, bought a bunch of candy, and traded in the rest for a real dollar bill. How many kids nowdays a) earned the first dollar they ever had, and b) can remember it? I thought I was bigtime. Hell, I was bigtime!

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 03:24 PM
Hells yes they were. I remember my mom and sister bogarting all the Tab and Fresca when they first came out cause they were "dieting." I remember paper routes. Nowadays they have adults deliver them in cars. WTH is that crap?

I remember my very first whole dollar. I collected some paper route money and after I paid the lady that dropped the papers at the paper stop I had about $1.27 left for me. It was in change. I took it to Circle K, bought a bunch of candy, and traded in the rest for a real dollar bill. How many kids nowdays a) earned the first dollar they ever had, and b) can remember it? I thought I was bigtime. Hell, I was bigtime!Sweet Tarts and Pixie Sticks? :D

I remember babysitting for 50 cents an hour when I was a young teen. That was the going rate. If you did their dishes and straightened up the house for them, they would always give you an extra quarter. :)

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 03:35 PM
...and I remember they wanted those papers porched! No if and or buts about it. My brother and I had an arm, and it wasn't easy on those rainy days, because you would have to roll those papers and slip them in plastic sleeves. The Sunday paper was big too! The nice people would tip if you did that, but you couldn't miss one day of porching it, or that tip would be non existent. :D

Mississippi Sooner
10/2/2012, 03:37 PM
I remember my first whole dollar. I don't remember what menial task I had to do, but my dad said he'd give me a dollar. After I did whatever it was, my dad dropped the other shoe. I could have the dollar only if I used it to pay for a haircut. Yes, you could get a haircut for a dollar. Oh, and my dad believed only one man in the city of Ada was qualified to give haircuts. His name was Buddy Henley, and when you sat down in his chair you didn't tell him what kind of style you wanted. Mr. Henley only knew one type of haircut, and it was short. 1950s style. Still, I always liked going there because being in his barbershop was sort of like stepping back in time.

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 03:44 PM
I remember my first whole dollar. I don't remember what menial task I had to do, but my dad said he'd give me a dollar. After I did whatever it was, my dad dropped the other shoe. I could have the dollar only if I used it to pay for a haircut. Yes, you could get a haircut for a dollar. Oh, and my dad believed only one man in the city of Ada was qualified to give haircuts. His name was Buddy Henley, and when you sat down in his chair you didn't tell him what kind of style you wanted. Mr. Henley only knew one type of haircut, and it was short. 1950s style. Still, I always liked going there because being in his barbershop was sort of like stepping back in time. did you have some money left over? :)

Mississippi Sooner
10/2/2012, 03:54 PM
did you have some money left over? :)

Nope, but another of the joys of going to that barbershop was that I always got a Coke (in the old 6 1/2 ounce bottle) and a bag of peanuts.

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 04:04 PM
Nope, but another of the joys of going to that barbershop was that I always got a Coke (in the old 6 1/2 ounce bottle) and a bag of peanuts.I remember this barber shop in our neighborhood that my father and brothers went to. They always played the radio and they had an oscillating fan whirling back and forth, one of those barber poles that looked like a moving stripped candy cane and a coke machine with bottles that you had to slide through a maze. :)

Oh and on the side of the pop machine, they had a pop bottle opener attached. When you finished your coke, you had to put the bottle in these wooden slotted crates because they were worth money.

My Granny and Grandpa use to save all their pop bottles for when my cousin and I visited in the summer. We would cash the bottles in and that was our spending money for the batting cages, or the movies...whatever we wanted to do.

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 04:07 PM
Grapette sodas,
I remember i was 9 er 10 er so
Wanted to watch " Bat Masterson" on TeeVee, went across the street to the Phone booth and called Information and asked em what time it came on, Lady put me on hold or whatever they did back then asked around and found out Came back Told me the Time AND the Channel

Mississippi Sooner
10/2/2012, 04:09 PM
I remember this barber shop in our neighborhood that my father and brothers went to. They always played the radio and they had an oscillating fan whirling back and forth, one of those barber poles that looked like a moving stripped candy cane and a coke machine with bottles that you had to slide through a maze. :)

Yep. The Coke machine in Buddy's shop was the same kind. And you had to pull that bottle out on the first try. If you just half pulled it up and then let it drop back, you had to put another dime in to get it.

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 04:17 PM
Grapette sodas,
I remember i was 9 er 10 er so
Wanted to watch " Bat Masterson" on TeeVee, went across the street to the Phone booth and called Information and asked em what time it came on, Lady put me on hold or whatever they did back then asked around and found out Came back Told me the Time AND the Channel

Yep. The Coke machine in Buddy's shop was the same kind. And you had to pull that bottle out on the first try. If you just half pulled it up and then let it drop back, you had to put another dime in to get it.

Thats right! This barber shop had the coldest pop. People always knew which machines had the coldest ones too. Remember how if those machines had Grapettes, Dr. Pepper, Nehis or some other flavor you wanted, you would have to do this glide and switcharoo thing by where you pulled it out? :D

SoonerInFortSmith
10/2/2012, 04:21 PM
I'm a little younger than ya'll but I remember buying my dad's cigarettes at the 7-11 when I was about eight. He would send me in with a dollar bill and I would bring him change. I also remember penny candy. You could get a whole bag of candy for what a pack of gum costs now. And when you got sandwich meat and sliced cheese at the grocery store they wrapped it in paper.

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 04:23 PM

Yall talking the Kind that when No one was Lookin ya took out yer Church key Popped that top and used yer straw
Or those that had em on their side? Ya just took yer churchkey out again and Popped that top and stuck a cup under to catch it
I was a BAAAAD Boy

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 04:25 PM
I'm a little younger than ya'll but I remember buying my dad's cigarettes at the 7-11 when I was about eight. He would send me in with a dollar bill and I would bring him change. I also remember penny candy. You could get a whole bag of candy for what a pack of gum costs now. And when you got sandwich meat and sliced cheese at the grocery store they wrapped it in paper.

When I started smokin they were a quarter a pack, Gas was around 20 cent a gallon up to 32 cent at the Fancy places

Mississippi Sooner
10/2/2012, 04:26 PM

Oh yeah, I bought smokes for my dad all the time. Occasionally, one of the store clerks might say "aren't you a little young to be smoking?" but they'd be smiling when they said it. Oh, and we even had a designated smoking area at my high school. You were supposed to have a note from your parents to be allowed to smoke, but I don't recall that rule actually being enforced. As long as you lit up in the smoking area, it was all good.

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 04:34 PM
I remember when there weren't a lot of "service stations" and they would have gas wars. One day I got gas for 19 cents a gallon and the "attendant" would also clean your windshield and check your tires.

SicEmBaylor
10/2/2012, 04:45 PM
You old people remind me of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d8FTPv955I

C&CDean
10/2/2012, 04:47 PM
Sicem, you wouldn't have lasted a day back in the day. Not. A. Day.

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 04:48 PM
I was only a teenager when that show came out. My father was much younger than they were.

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 04:48 PM

The boy woulda never made it off the porch

Mississippi Sooner
10/2/2012, 04:50 PM
I remember when All in the Family created a stir because they featured the sound of a toilet flushing. Yes, the sound of a toilet flushing was controversial.

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 04:54 PM
Married couples ALWAYS wore pajamas and had twin beds?

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 04:56 PM
I remember when they weren't allowed to show Elvis's hips gyrating on the Ed Sullivan show.

8timechamps
10/2/2012, 06:04 PM
I'm old enough to remember getting paid $1.15/hr (minimum wage) for my first job. I remember getting a "raise" to $1.25/hr, and thinking I was making bank!

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 07:00 PM
I'm old enough to remember getting paid $1.15/hr (minimum wage) for my first job. I remember getting a "raise" to $1.25/hr, and thinking I was making bank!Our allowance was $1.00 a week and we had daily rotating chores on a poster board that my dad would hang on the laundry room wall. My parents would inspect what we did and check it off after we were done. My mom would charge us 5 cents for every toy, pool towel, article of clothing, comic book or whatever, that she had to pick up. :D

SicEmBaylor
10/2/2012, 07:36 PM
Our allowance was $1.00 a week and we had daily rotating chores on a poster board that my dad would hang on the laundry room wall. My parents would inspect what we did and check it off after we were done. My mom would charge us 5 cents for every toy, pool towel, article of clothing, comic book or whatever, that she had to pick up. :D
Your parents were mean.

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 09:14 PM
Your parents were mean. Oh, thats nothing... They also made me do my homework on Friday nights, to "get it out of the way," I couldn't go anywhere without asking, I would not have even dreamed of arguing or talking back; the thought would never have crossed my mind. I had to be inside no later than 5 minutes after the street lights came on. My siblings and I had to clean the cars and the garage, no boys were allowed at my slumber parties after Daddy fed them burgers and hot dogs from the grill, I had to come home straight from school, unless it was sports, scouts or related to a school activity, I couldn't be at anyones house without adult supervision, I had to pay the insurance on my car, clean the bathroom after every use, babysit my younger siblings for free, help with dinner every time, do the dishes when it was my turn, and learn how to do my own laundry!

Breadburner
10/2/2012, 10:43 PM
When the teacher whipped your ***...And you got another when you got home....

achiro
10/3/2012, 08:13 AM
I remember when I had to listen to my modem connecting to the Internet.

olevetonahill
10/3/2012, 08:14 AM
I remember when I had to listen to my modem connecting to the Internet.

Dayum, You are OLD

rock on sooner
10/3/2012, 11:16 AM
I remember when there weren't a lot of "service stations" and they would have gas wars. One day I got gas for 19 cents a gallon and the "attendant" would also clean your windshield and check your tires.

Mama, there's a good chance that I was that attendant, if you were in Ada, OK
at the Consumer's FULL service station.

I used to have to climb up the sign to change the prices...hated the gas wars,
prices changed sometimes two or three times a shift...

C&CDean
10/3/2012, 11:31 AM
I rode my bike to all my baseball practices and games. If I had a flat, I walked. Some games were more than 10-miles from the house, and all the practices were at a park that was about 6-miles away.

I remember going into an apartment complex to jump in the pool, and some lady said "please don't splash me." I said "yes ma'am" and jumped in. Well, I guess I musta splashed her cause as soon as my head surfaced a big old cowboy dude snatched me up outta the pool by the throat, holds me right up to his face and goes "son, didn't you hear the lady?" I choked out "yessir" and he goes "you splash her again and I'ma gonna wail your little ***." I go "yessir." Cause he damn sure woulda and if I went home and told my pop he'd have wailed me again.

Good times.

achiro
10/3/2012, 11:49 AM
I remember when people said "wailed"

C&CDean
10/3/2012, 11:55 AM
I remember when people thought bonecrackers were charlatans. Oh wait...

achiro
10/3/2012, 12:03 PM
I remember when people thought bonecrackers were charlatans. Oh wait...

Dang, no need to get personal old man.

MamaMia
10/3/2012, 12:36 PM
I rode my bike to all my baseball practices and games. If I had a flat, I walked. Some games were more than 10-miles from the house, and all the practices were at a park that was about 6-miles away.

I remember going into an apartment complex to jump in the pool, and some lady said "please don't splash me." I said "yes ma'am" and jumped in. Well, I guess I musta splashed her cause as soon as my head surfaced a big old cowboy dude snatched me up outta the pool by the throat, holds me right up to his face and goes "son, didn't you hear the lady?" I choked out "yessir" and he goes "you splash her again and I'ma gonna wail your little ***." I go "yessir." Cause he damn sure woulda and if I went home and told my pop he'd have wailed me again.

Good times.Thats not good. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/smilies/bitenails.gif

That makes me feel bad for complaining I had to lifeguard, scrub the tiles, hose the deck, scrap the sand on the volley ball court, empty the garbage cans, work the gate checking membership cards, and chop veggies for the grill when my dad and his friend owned the Cabana Swim Club. :D

SicEmBaylor
10/3/2012, 02:10 PM
Thats not good. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/smilies/bitenails.gif

That makes me feel bad for complaining I had to lifeguard, scrub the tiles, hose the deck, scrap the sand on the volley ball court, empty the garbage cans, work the gate checking membership cards, and chop veggies for the grill when my dad and his friend owned the Cabana Swim Club. :D

Pfft, my lifeguarding/coaching/teaching makes all of that look like a vacation.

8timechamps
10/3/2012, 02:41 PM
I remember signing on to AOL.

Jacie
10/4/2012, 11:15 AM
I remember when Boy Scouts were the EMT of choice at Memorial Stadium, how they would carry the heat stroke or heart attack victims down the stairs to the wall, lift em over and carry them out one of the North End Zone tunnels.

Then one day they dropped a fellow they were lifting over the wall . . .

Wishboned
10/4/2012, 12:11 PM

When my mom remarried we moved from what I thought of as "the city" out into the middle of nowhere. My mom and stepdad had a dedicated line because he needed it for his business, but us kids had to deal with a party line. That was in 79-80. Back then when you called long distance on a party line they would ask the number you were calling from. I made a lot of long distance calls once I found that out.

I can remember getting central heat and air for the first time and thinking it was the greatest thing ever. And cable television wasn't far behind that. I thought that was great because we got two stations out of Dallas. One showed Batman every afternoon, and the other had wrestling on Saturday nights.

I mowed lawns in the summer, and had a paper route in the fall through spring. Morning route at first, then I got an afternoon route delivering the Tulsa Tribune.

If I needed to get somewhere I either rode my bike, skateboard, or I walked.

8timechamps
10/4/2012, 01:07 PM
I remember walking home from school one day and finding a torn up Playboy. It was in really bad shape, and had been rained on. It felt like what I can only imagine winning the lottery would feel like. I put it in my coat sleeve, and walked into my house (like a robot) to hide it in the garage. THAT was the talk of the neighborhood for a couple of weeks. It was like I had the holy grail in my garage and the way I remember it is that kids lined up for blocks to get a peek. Probably not though.

Anyway, kids today will never know what it feels like to find an old, torn up, weathered porn mag. I feel sorry for them.

Wishboned
10/4/2012, 01:11 PM
I remember walking home from school one day and finding a torn up Playboy. It was in really bad shape, and had been rained on. It felt like what I can only imagine winning the lottery would feel like. I put it in my coat sleeve, and walked into my house (like a robot) to hide it in the garage. THAT was the talk of the neighborhood for a couple of weeks. It was like I had the holy grail in my garage and the way I remember it is that kids lined up for blocks to get a peek. Probably not though.

Anyway, kids today will never know what it feels like to find an old, torn up, weathered porn mag. I feel sorry for them.

I can relate to that. I had a friend who lived a couple of houses away from me. He would steal his dad's Penthouse magazines.

Mississippi Sooner
10/4/2012, 01:24 PM
Yep, that was the way a buddy and I got our hands on the 25th anniversary Playboy (featuring OU's own Candy Loving!). It was just laying in a ditch on the side of the road.

MamaMia
10/4/2012, 01:49 PM
My cousin was in the Navy. He came to visit us in the mid to late sixties, when we were little kids. My brothers were 9 and 10 that summer. My mom told my cousin to take a nap while she fixed dinner. He took his shoes off and laid down on top of the bed in the guest room with his uniform on and placed his sailor hat neatly on the end table. He was quite the novelty that day in our Oklahoma neighborhood. My brothers charged all the kids 5 cents to see him. We found out that he was on to them because at dinner he asked my brothers how much money they made. :D

StoopTroup
10/4/2012, 01:51 PM

I have him pissing his pants in the parking lot and his Mom taking him Home and finding a nice private school in fexas.

StoopTroup
10/4/2012, 01:52 PM
Yep, that was the way a buddy and I got our hands on the 25th anniversary Playboy (featuring OU's own Candy Loving!). It was just laying in a ditch on the side of the road.

I think I gave that issue to a buddy of mine. She was very Loving.

Mississippi Sooner
10/4/2012, 01:57 PM
I think I gave that issue to a buddy of mine. She was very Loving.

As I recall, she represented OU in a great way!

StoopTroup
10/4/2012, 02:07 PM
As I recall, she represented OU in a great way!

In a great way. I always stood in attention. :D

Flagstaffsooner
10/5/2012, 06:17 AM
I remember when girls left their pink bras in the backseat of my car at Lake Overholster.

IB4OU2
10/5/2012, 08:16 AM
I remember when girls left their pink bras in the backseat of my car at Lake Overholster.

Didnt they call that a rumble seat back then? :D

Flagstaffsooner
10/5/2012, 09:37 AM
Smart a$$.

MamaMia
10/5/2012, 09:42 AM
I remember when girls left their pink bras in the backseat of my car at Lake Overholster. After a while, none of the girls at Putnam City West fell for your "submarine race" invitation. :O