PDA

View Full Version : Obama admin - so corrupt it is unreal

landrun
10/1/2012, 11:19 PM
So, now in an attempt to win reelection, the Obama admin is publically telling defense contractor to violate the law ... and then, telling them that the admin will use tax payer dollars to pay their court costs when they're taken to court for violating the law!

CNN:
http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/28/news/economy/spending-cuts-fiscal-cliff/index.html

The government said it would cover legal costs if contractors are forced to slash their payrolls because of the looming $109 billion in automatic cuts next year and are alleged to have violated the WARN Act.

And...

http://thehill.com/blogs/defcon-hill/industry/259517-graham-says-hell-block-reimbursements-in-layoff-notice-fight

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) says that he will do anything he can to block the Obama administration from reimbursing defense contractors for severance costs if the firms don’t send layoff notices to employees.

The Obama administration issued guidance Friday that said defense firms’ costs would be covered if they have to layoff workers due to canceled contracts under the across-the-board cuts set to take effect Jan. 2.

The layoff notices have become a politically charged issue because they could have come just four days ahead of the election because of a 60-day notice required by federal law for mass layoffs.

Graham and other Republicans were livid after the Obama administration issued the guidance on Friday telling contractors that their legal costs would be covered due to canceled contracts under sequestration, but only if they did not issue layoff notices before sequestration occurs — and before the November election.

“I will do everything in my power to make sure not one taxpayer dollar is spent reimbursing companies for failure to comply with WARN Act,” Graham told The Hill in a phone interview Monday. “That is so beyond the pale — I think it’s patently illegal.”

diverdog
10/2/2012, 06:08 AM
If the do nothing congress gets it sh*t together then this is moot.

cleller
10/2/2012, 07:27 AM

A big if.

sappstuf
10/2/2012, 07:41 AM

Do nothing? Obama and the Dems had 2 years and they lined everything up for a huge tax increase right after the elections... I think they did exactly what they wanted, they just forgot about the 60 day notices that would go out before the election.

Skysooner
10/2/2012, 09:00 AM
Do nothing? Obama and the Dems had 2 years and they lined everything up for a huge tax increase right after the elections... I think they did exactly what they wanted, they just forgot about the 60 day notices that would go out before the election.

This is a direct result of the game of chicken they played with the debt ceiling. I had to pull everything out of the market to avoid the huge drop that came afterward. This is also the result of that "Super Commission" that did nothing. No tax increases can occur unless Congress agrees and at this point, I think the 'Pubs keep the House with a good majority.

KantoSooner
10/2/2012, 09:09 AM
A prudent manager's course is obvious: simply bite the bullet and don't plan any layoffs until after Jan. 2. Wait until the election comes and goes, thus making the political paymasters happy. Send out your notices the day after election day and you'll end up paying potentially idle workers for a couple extra days.
Costs you some bucks, but I don't think most government contractors are hurting in the margin department.

Note: I didn't say this was right or that I liked it. Just that there's an easy workaround in the real world.

diverdog
10/2/2012, 09:37 AM

Did you forget about the gazillion filibuster threats on the part of the Republicans or the fact that almost all of them have signed a no new tax pledge? Both parties share blame on this matter.

diverdog
10/2/2012, 09:39 AM
This is a direct result of the game of chicken they played with the debt ceiling. I had to pull everything out of the market to avoid the huge drop that came afterward. This is also the result of that "Super Commission" that did nothing. No tax increases can occur unless Congress agrees and at this point, I think the 'Pubs keep the House with a good majority.

Yeah and which Republican is going to agree to a tax increase when they are all joined at the hip with Grover Norquist?

badger
10/2/2012, 09:41 AM
Yeah, this is a promise (much like the promised Egyptian aid before the terrorist attack on the Cairo embassy) that the Obama Administration won't be able to keep, especially if they're ousted by voters.

sappstuf
10/2/2012, 06:43 PM
Did you forget about the gazillion filibuster threats on the part of the Republicans or the fact that almost all of them have signed a no new tax pledge? Both parties share blame on this matter.

Blame?

You have been harping that defense cuts are needed for years.. Now, that it has happened and the obvious layoff notices would go out, it has somehow turned bad since it might affect the elections.. Boohoo.

You should be happy.

Skysooner
10/2/2012, 06:55 PM
Blame?

You have been harping that defense cuts are needed for years.. Now, that it has happened and the obvious layoff notices would go out, it has somehow turned bad since it might affect the elections.. Boohoo.

You should be happy.

I'm all for defense cuts myself but not this quickly. Anything that throws a slow growth economy into recession at this point is a bad idea. Phased cuts would be much better.

sappstuf
10/2/2012, 07:06 PM
I'm all for defense cuts myself but not this quickly. Anything that throws a slow growth economy into recession at this point is a bad idea. Phased cuts would be much better.

Obama and the Dems have worked to get taxes to expire after the elections..

Bush tax cuts extended until January 1. Obamacare taxes hit January 1. Defense cuts January 1.

My 7 year old can spot that pattern and it has been the Dems in control during all of this.

This is what you guys wanted and have supported.. Why the cold feet suddenly?

Skysooner
10/2/2012, 07:59 PM

Bush tax cuts extended until January 1. Obamacare taxes hit January 1. Defense cuts January 1.
My 7 year old can spot that pattern and it has been the Dems in control during all of this.

I am in support of doing this over time. You might be right, but it isn't like I am in charge. There are much better ways to do this. Republicans have had the House for almost 2 years. Both parties haven't wanted to work togrther. Last best chance was the grand bargain that fell apart last year. Who even knows if it would have been that great.

soonercruiser
10/2/2012, 09:53 PM

That's "DO NOTHING SENATE", Diver!
Be a little honest here.

Harry the Body Reid and the Demoncrats refuse to discuss reducing entitlements!
But, boy, they sure can always cut the Defense Budget withiut batting an eye!
HYPOCRISY!

soonercruiser
10/2/2012, 09:59 PM

And yesterday, asking defense contractors to break the law and fail to "give federally required notice" to employees that may lose thier jobs if sequestration hits "Defense" again!
And the a**hole Obama is cynical enough to tell them "it's OK", we will have the taxpayers pay your lawyers or penalties!!!!!
INCREDIBLE!
And you 7 year old is probably smarter and more honest than the leftie posters on the forum!
:stupid:

diverdog
10/3/2012, 06:14 AM
Blame?

You should be happy.

Defense is not the only cut that will be taking place.

You think this will affect the election? You are probably right but it will hurt then do nothing Republicans a lot more.

sappstuf
10/3/2012, 08:11 AM
I am in support of doing this over time. You might be right, but it isn't like I am in charge. There are much better ways to do this. Republicans have had the House for almost 2 years. Both parties haven't wanted to work togrther. Last best chance was the grand bargain that fell apart last year. Who even knows if it would have been that great.

And the Washington Post had a great article on how that was Obama's fault. Any leader with experience would have made that happen. Not someone who is learning on the job.

Harry Reid hasn't allowed a vote on the budget for 3 years, breaking the law every year in the process. What makes you think he is going to allow a vote on something that comes from the House unless he is sure the Dems won't break away and vote for it too?

sappstuf
10/3/2012, 08:21 AM
Defense is not the only cut that will be taking place.

You think this will affect the election? You are probably right but it will hurt then do nothing Republicans a lot more.

Of course it will affect the election... Why else is the Obama administration pleading with defense contractors to break the law and promising to cover their legal fees when they get sued?

The final deal includes two mechanisms to reduce Pentagon spending. First, it cuts $917 billion over 10 years from discretionary spending—the programs whose budgets are set each year by Congress—and requires that the cuts be divided between domestic programs and programs at the Pentagon and other security agencies. The White House estimates that the security side would bear just over half the spending cuts.

Those cuts aren't much deeper than those Mr. Obama had already proposed

Obama had already proposed the cuts? That must mean he wanted the defense cuts all along.

soonercruiser
10/3/2012, 01:28 PM
Blame?

You should be happy.

BINGO! Diver OWNED!
Don't you dare point out that Repugs in the house have passed numerous budgets and bills to address cutting government spending.
Harry "NO" and the Dems have stopped any progress dead in it's tracks in the Senate for 2 years!
If they can't own the ball, Demoncrats won't play!
:stupid: