PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops was asked just two questions during his monday teleconference....

OU_Sooners75
10/1/2012, 07:04 PM
Now that is funny.

Apparently they were trying to get the reporters to ask more questions, but only two were asked.

One was about the physicality of the lines and the other was about OU going to Lubbock.

Thats it.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/1/2012, 07:13 PM
Now that is funny.

Apparently they were trying to get the reporters to ask more questions, but only two were asked.

One was about the physicality of the lines and the other was about OU going to Lubbock.

Thats it.They know Bob's job isn't on the line. Too early to get tough with him, esp. since they will continue to want access. Maybe they'r jobs are safe, as well.

OU_Sooners75
10/1/2012, 07:15 PM
I dont know.

But maybe the reporters are tired of asking the same questions over and over? This is the first time I can recall OU having 2 bye weeks in 3 weeks.

tulsaoilerfan
10/1/2012, 07:20 PM
I dont know.

But maybe the reporters are tired of asking the same questions over and over? This is the first time I can recall OU having 2 bye weeks in 3 weeks.

Crap i remember back in 85 their first game wasn't until like Sep 28 at Minnesota; they were supposed to open before that against SMU but the big cigars moved it to December to get their TV money

Soonerjeepman
10/2/2012, 09:09 AM
or maybe they know Stoops' answers are the same....so why ask?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/2/2012, 09:23 AM
or maybe they know Stoops' answers are the same....so why ask?yeah, huh! Why the silly press conference, anyway?

badger
10/2/2012, 09:29 AM
I heard that's how reporters on the Penn State beat got to be after awhile --- totally bored with getting the same crap outta JoePa week in, week out, but unlike OU, Penn State writers didn't have conference championships, Heisman candidates and high poll rankings to write about. They just got the same old sh!t from the same old coach that had become complacently bad for decades. Sure they made it to the Rose Bowl occasionally --- to lose. Sure they were ranked occasionally -- only to falter. Sure they won a big game every so often, but not consistently.

I hope that doesn't happen to Bob. A lot of things that happened at Penn State I hope don't happen here :(

Sooner91ATL
10/2/2012, 12:14 PM
I think many are underestimating the position Bob Stoops is in. Sure, he looks secure. But the media are slowly turning on him (Berry T's articles lately have gotten a little unsissified and the lack of questions at the presser signifies lack of interest, not boredom with the answers). The donors behind the scenes in Boren's ear will have plenty of weight with him but, more importantly, with the Board of Regents. When you lose the goodwill of the sooner nation it's hard to get it back. I don't sense that Bob is too worried about it, but maybe he should care more about public opinion and goodwill than he does. His excuses and so-called straight talk (saying nothing of substance) have grown old for sure. It would be different if the play on the field reflected some fire and intensity. But it doesn't; and that's a little too much like the old ballcoach we have.

Soonerjeepman
10/2/2012, 12:21 PM
I compared OU Football to a corporation and that the "share holders" might not be so happy (this was in the thread about IF Stoops would ever pull Landry) if the problem persisted (lack of good play for QB) and Stoops didn't pull Landry. Some thought that that was a bad comparison... and Stoops doesn't answer to the "share holders" aka big donors/regents...I disagree. Maybe Bob doesn't DIRECTLY answer to those folks, but Joe does and ya know what they say about $hit rolling down hill..

I know coaching isn't rocket science but is stressful but I do believe a unsuccessful football team at OU is not good for the university or state.

Tear Down This Wall
10/2/2012, 12:39 PM
Here's part of the problem - what could you ask? No one really knows the indentity of this year's team. And, that's not good.

I suspect that after the Texas Tech game, there'll be more questions - especially if we go up there and Tuberville's boys skin us again.

Something that bothers me is where coaches are said to have gone in the off season. We hear about Stoops going a couple of years ago to Nevada to get a look under the hood at that offense. Meanwhile, after taking an assbeating in the 2009 national title game, Mack went to discover what Bama was doing.

Result - Texas is running more and getting better DLs and OLs. I'm afraid Bob has allowed the fascination (or, his assistant coaches' fascinations) with spread offenses to cloud his judgement in recruiting.

We were a tougher team when we weren't signing big name recruits at receiver. The game is still won and lost in the trenches. Bob won a national title with receivers who were not highly recruited - Antwone Savage, Curtis Fagan, Andre Woolfolk, Damian Mackey, and Mark Clayton. The line was largely Blake hold overs, but they were good players. Tough guys, hungry to win.

I just don't think this group seems hungry to win. They've already been given accolades for what they did in high school. They have the "OU on the helmet" syndrome.

Bob better find a way to corral it quickly because Texas Tech means to play defense now that Tuberville has been given enough time to reintroduce the idea to the program. The questions will be flying if we go up there and lose one week before the Texas game - questions that have nothing to do with OU-Texas, but with whether Stoops knows what he's doing anymore.

badger
10/2/2012, 12:50 PM
Ok, here are a few questions that could be asked:

1- After experiencing Texas Tech in both Norman and Lubbock under Tommy Tubby, how has the Tech program changed since Mike Leach left?

2- Defenses around the Big 12 have been challeneged lately by different versions of "Air Raid," a technique Tech made famous under Mike Leach. How are you adjusting your defensive preparation before going against the program that originated the "Air Raid?"

3- Mr. Stoops, my name is Tommy and I am 5 years old and I live in Oklahoma. We lost to the State of Kansas so can we please beat Notre Dame this year?

^^^ I double-dare you guys to call into Stoops' show with that question verbatim. It's tonight, right? Forget the usuall "ILUVUBOBBYSTOOPS" sh!t and hit him with a low blow toddler questions :D

thecrimsoncrusader
10/2/2012, 01:52 PM
I will call in for #3 if you call in to ask why Roy Finch isn't playing more and if Blake Bell will lose 50 lbs. this week to simulate Seth ****** of Texas Tech. And also ask why Oklahoma still doesn't have a special teams coach. Surely, he wouldn't blow up on those questions!

badger
10/2/2012, 01:56 PM
I will call in for #3 if you call in to ask why Roy Finch isn't playing more and if Blake Bell will lose 50 lbs. this week to simulate Seth ****** of Texas Tech. And also ask why Oklahoma still doesn't have a special teams coach. Surely, he wouldn't blow up on those questions!

He doesn't blow up on the radio/TV show... it's too public and too fan-oriented. The most he did the last time I watched was tell a caller to email him what to do when the caller suggested that he shouldn't yank Landry on third and short all of the time. He also was a bit put off by a caller questioning the OU strength and conditioning of Sammie, Demarco and AD because of their NFL injuries.

The trick will be to somehow get in front of all of those "WEWUVUBOBBYSTOOPS" callers that take up the entire hour :D

I will be more than happy to call in with the Finichie question. I can prequel it by saying "I am short and he inspires me like Q once did because I am short too!" or something crazy like that.

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 02:26 PM
What's left to say? People are ready for action, not words.

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2012, 03:15 PM
I personally think its because the reporters know the answers before they ask the question.

He never publicly addresses any concerns the fans have, that are asked/so should be asked, by the reporters.

I understand that's his right, but come on.

He has already cutoff open practices, not allowinng media in practices, and doesn't give genuine answers to questions. Not to mention he is getting tougher on alumni.

IMO he feels he doesn't have to.

IDK but I'm ready for the Real Bob Stoops to show back up on the sidelines

One last thing, and its off topic.

If I was in a position to force Stoops hand, I would. I would suggest he evaluate his coaches. I would suggest he didn't hire his buddies all the time. And if he did, I wouldn't approve of the hiring if the guy wasn't qualified.

But that's me. Soooo.

8timechamps
10/2/2012, 04:01 PM
Everyone had the entire week (last week) to ask questions, get comments on the loss. Since we were just on a bye week, and there's been no injuries (knock wood), there really isn't much to ask. There's only so many ways you can ask "how does the team look in practice" or "how will you handle the loss". One way or another, there will be more questions after Saturday. I hope they're of the "what did you do to fix the offensive woes" variety.

hvhurricane
10/2/2012, 04:22 PM
I personally think its because the reporters know the answers before they ask the question.

He never publicly addresses any concerns the fans have, that are asked/so should be asked, by the reporters.

I understand that's his right, but come on.

He has already cutoff open practices, not allowinng media in practices, and doesn't give genuine answers to questions. Not to mention he is getting tougher on alumni.

IMO he feels he doesn't have to.

IDK but I'm ready for the Real Bob Stoops to show back up on the sidelines

One last thing, and its off topic.

If I was in a position to force Stoops hand, I would. I would suggest he evaluate his coaches. I would suggest he didn't hire his buddies all the time. And if he did, I wouldn't approve of the hiring if the guy wasn't qualified.

But that's me. Soooo.

This is exactly right. Why ask questions when he is never going to give an honest answer. When has he ever answered a legitimate football question with a legitimate football answer? Never, it isn't going to start now when things are getting really bad. He doesn't think he owes anyone an explination for anything he does. That is fine when you are winning every game, but it gets real old, real fast, when you aren't winning and you look bad doing it. His press conferences are a joke. His halftime interviews are a joke. His call in show is a joke. His game review show with Dean is a joke. I don't know why anyone would waste their time listening to, or watching any of those shows. You get absolutely no information from them other than "we just need to execute better." It is always the players fault for not executing. It is never the coaches fault for not adjusting, or preparing an appropriate gameplan. This is how college athletics works and is why Bobby would never make it as an NFL coach. The old Bob Stoops, the one who said there would be no excuses from day one, needs to reappear for this program to get back on top. Until that happens, we will get the "execution" excuse for all questions.

Tear Down This Wall
10/2/2012, 07:13 PM
Stoops isn't wrong - they do need to execute better.

Here's the only upshot from the loss. Admittedly, it was a close loss, turning on a couple of fumbles. But, look, what would you rather have: (a) the team lose to K-State early and wake the f*ck up because of it, or (b) squeak by -State, have the players keep thinking that they are good enough to win on that kind of effort (similar to the UTEP effort), then get beat to hell by Texas, Notre Dame, or both.

This Texas Tech game will answer many questions that Stoops won't answer. Mainly, are you, your coaches, and team men enough to correct your mistakes and buckle down for the rest of the season?

If they lose to Tech, the Texas game looks pretty bad. But, hey...at least it's still at the State Fair, right?

budbarrybob
10/2/2012, 07:33 PM
Were the questions...
1. Who are you?
2. What have you done with Bobby Stoops?

mainline13
10/2/2012, 07:43 PM

If they lose to Tech, the Texas game looks pretty bad. But, hey...at least it's still at the State Fair, right?

Mmmmm, fried butter!

Blue
10/2/2012, 08:26 PM

Here's the only upshot from the loss. Admittedly, it was a close loss, turning on a couple of fumbles. But, look, what would you rather have: (a) the team lose to K-State early and wake the f*ck up because of it, or (b) squeak by -State, have the players keep thinking that they are good enough to win on that kind of effort (similar to the UTEP effort), then get beat to hell by Texas, Notre Dame, or both.

This Texas Tech game will answer many questions that Stoops won't answer. Mainly, are you, your coaches, and team men enough to correct your mistakes and buckle down for the rest of the season?

I'll take C) Beat the teams you are supposed to beat and when you do get upset, don't look like clueless idots for 60 minutes doing it.