PDA

View Full Version : From Red October to Dead October....

soonerboy_odanorth
10/1/2012, 12:26 PM
4-0?
3-1?
2-2?
1-3?
0-4?

What say you? Is this team, based on what we have seen from it and the teams it will be facing, capable of putting it together for another great October run?

Or is the offense so discombobulated with Sybil "Tweak" Jones, nicked O-line, and inconsistent Offensive Coordinator Jayosh Heupvell game-planning/play-calling that a disastrous collapse is looming?

Or somewhere in-between.

I was going to say this team looks like it has a horrible 1-3 written all over it. Lubbock hell, resurgent Texas, and forever-cursed with Notre Dame.

But the reason it is called "inconsistency" is because it isn't just one way or the other. The team, particularly the offense, had bad moments that out-weighed the good against K-State. But it did have good moments against a really good K-State defense. So... they are capable of putting together a run of "good".

It's never as bad as it seems, nor as good. It is always in-between except for the magical years (2000), and that is why they are so special.

Maybe not Red October or Dead October, but Meh October.

2-2

ouwasp
10/1/2012, 12:38 PM
To me, Lubbock will tell the tale. Win, and the Sooners might very well go on a roll... lose, and ya might as well get out the basketballs.

rainiersooner
10/1/2012, 12:43 PM
Meh October...good one. Yeah I think 3-1. Kansas is a win. Texas is better this year, but it's the RRS and I think we get a decent performance out of the team. TT isn't that good and I think it will be close but we pull it out (although I'm not sure). We lose to Notre Dame unfortunately. I don't know why...we just do!

Curly Bill
10/1/2012, 12:51 PM
2-2 if we beat TT

We lose to TT and its hello 1-3

Boomer.....
10/1/2012, 01:16 PM
3-1

StoopTroup
10/1/2012, 01:25 PM
We're Doomed

EatLeadCommie
10/1/2012, 01:35 PM
As Landry goes, so go the Sooners. We have not (yet) shown problems with our defense or our playcalling on offense. It's all about execution from the QB. If Landry can make Shepard his new Broyles, there's no reason why we shouldn't go unbeaten. However, I think that is doubtful so I'm guessing we come out of October with at least one more loss.

StoopTroup
10/1/2012, 01:40 PM
You must have missed the entire 4th qtr of the KSU Game.

Or maybe the 4th and one at KSU's 40 at the beginning of the 3rd. Later in the same drive Snyder has another 4th and 1 and calls TO instead of having faith in his QB that we can't stop them. That IMO just didn't make sense when they had gotten by us once. What it does do though is when it's close in the 4th qtr OU Defense had been challenged and in a close game in the 4th qtr on the road....KSU went for it and challenged OUs Defense and scored twice instead of us giving our offense every possibility to win the game.

goingoneight
10/1/2012, 01:45 PM
The keys to winning these games are being more physical in the run game and pressuring the quarterbacks into errant decisions. I'm not exactly feeling that confident in either.

BermudaSooner
10/1/2012, 02:15 PM
Geez, you guys are negative. KSU is a good team. We outgained them and despite losing the turnover battle 3-0 had a chance in the end.

we beat Tech---come on. I know it has been a while since we beat them there, but still Tech.

And Texas....we crushed them last year....crushed. We can certainly win this year.

Kansas...well even most of you guys think we beat them.

ND...I'm doubting the game in 1957...or the one in 1999 really has much to do with this game. We can certainly beat ND.

StoopTroup
10/1/2012, 02:19 PM
At the end of the 3rd qtr we were winning this game. Landry threw the INT and our Defense had KSU at 3rd and 6 and let's them get a 1st down. K-State continues into the 4th qtr with the drive and pounds it down our throats until Klien walks into the EZ.

Yeah....our Defense is fine.

Next series, Williams breaks lose down the right side and unfortunately steps out of bounds and to help our QB out Brown gets called for holding and we get set back again.

That's not just the QB. It's a Team mistake.

When we are good, we are very good. When we aren't we make mistakes that really hurt us. We can't do that against good teams. We need to improve on both sides of the ball.