PDA

View Full Version : For Those Making The Trip To Lubbock.

SoonerInLubbock
10/1/2012, 11:35 AM
I thought I would post a few pointers and points of interest for those making the trip. I am an Edmond native who's been stuck in Lubbock now for about six years. I'm also a radio DJ here in Lubbock, so I've had the oppurtunity become familiar with many of the business' here in the Lubbock area.

First hotels: Near campus there really aren't many choices. The Overton comes to mind, which is right across the street from The Jones, however be prepared to pay a premium price. Your best bet would be to find any hotel along the Marsha Sharp Freeway, They have recently finished the MS, which now runs from I-27 all the way to the west side of town. If you stay near the MS you will have fairly quick and easy access to the stadium.
Here is a list of decent hotels within a moderate budget and with easy access to the staium.

Country Inns and Suites
Hawthorn Suites
La Quinta ( decent hotel, just make sure you lock your car at all times)
Arbor Inn (very nice, moderate price)
Hampton Inn (very nice)
Homewood Suites by Hilton (nice, a bit spendy).

Okay now one of my favorite parts, FOOD!!
Now it's been a couple years since OU has played in Lubbock and there have been a great deal of changes in just a couple of years. Near the stadium you will find a number of dining choices, I'll list a few.

Raising Canes Chicken
Whataburger
Spanky's Burgers (greasy but darn good)
Ruby Tequila's (excellent mexican food)
Firehouse Subs
Chili's
Dion's Pizza (by the slice or entire pizza)
Which Wich (deli)
Golden Chick (fried chicken)
Chick-Fil-A
KFC

Now if you want a real treat head down to the Depot District and eat at Triple J's Chophouse. Excellent food with a micro-brewery. Just be prepared to wait for a table, this place is a very popular spot.

As for parking: this can be tricky. Be sure to look for "customer parking only" signs. They DO NOT mess around. You will be towed. Last couple games I've been to, I found parking near Wal-Mart on ave Q, to be the least headache. You might have a bit of a walk, but at least you won't get towed.

After the game: There are plenty of hot spots in the Depot District for after hour activities.
Wild West (Country Dance Hall)
Klusoz (Top 40 Dance Club)
Melt (Dance Club)
Louie Louie's ( Piano Bar, very fun!!!)
Bash Riprock's (Live music bar)
The Blue Light (Live Red Dirt/Texas Country, one of my personal favorites)

That's all I can think of at this point. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'm sure I can send you in the right direction. Be safe getting down here and BOOMER SOONER!!
It's going to be nice having some like-minded fans in town this weekend.

badger
10/1/2012, 11:42 AM
Protip: Wear sunglasses. Sand in eyes no bueno

Phil
10/1/2012, 11:55 AM
Another protip: Stay in Amarillo and spend as little time in Lubbock as possible.

SoonerInLubbock
10/1/2012, 12:01 PM
I would actually argue that Amarillo is way worse than Lubbock. Not that I'm coming to the defense of dirt city. But I'll take the college town.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/1/2012, 12:23 PM
I like that the only places to eat are fast food or chain restaurants. Where's the gourmet lizard on a stick?

StoopTroup
10/1/2012, 01:28 PM
Another protip: Stay in Oklahoma by driving Home and spend as little time in fexas as possible.

FIFY. :D

StoopTroup
10/1/2012, 01:30 PM
Also....when driving in fexas, they like to slow things down when it gets dark so pay attn to those speed limit signs as you leave the middle of nowhere.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b9/Texas_80_mph_speed_limit_unveiling.JPG

Stupiest thing I've ever seen.

picasso
10/1/2012, 01:52 PM
And, if you're a player, keep your helmet on.

According to a story in The Oklahoman the Tech inbreds like to throw things.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
10/1/2012, 02:20 PM
How can you forget One Guy From Italy? That place is AMAZING! Also, Gardsky's and Rosa's are musts as well. I miss going to Lubbock actually. Ah, the good ol' days!

StoopTroup
10/1/2012, 02:47 PM
F*ck that place.

TheUnnamedSooner
10/1/2012, 03:12 PM
What radio station should those traveling there listen to?

cyclonesooner
10/1/2012, 03:35 PM
Is The Spoon still open for business in Lubbock ?

n8v_ndn
10/1/2012, 04:58 PM
Also....when driving in fexas, they like to slow things down when it gets dark so pay attn to those speed limit signs as you leave the middle of nowhere.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b9/Texas_80_mph_speed_limit_unveiling.JPG

Stupiest thing I've ever seen.

In Fall 2011 the night time speed limit became a thing of the past.

StoopTroup
10/1/2012, 05:06 PM

Thank God. Stupidest thing I've ever seen....honestly I haven't been back to Lubbock except we did cut through Amarillo on the way to AlBQ a few times and I guess that was prior to 2011.

fadada1
10/1/2012, 07:48 PM
Never been to lubbock, but I'm pretty sure I hate it.

Harris County Sooner
10/1/2012, 08:45 PM
You didn't mention any strip clubs. Got any?

MamaMia
10/1/2012, 08:46 PM
The fans are not shy about getting mouthy to complete strangers. Try not to make eye contact.

Soonerus
10/1/2012, 08:50 PM
Lubbock is not that fun, I have been twice and will probably never go again...

MamaMia
10/1/2012, 09:05 PM
I'm not a big cheese stick fan but there is a place across from the campus that has really good mozzarella cheese sticks. The best I have ever had. I think its called Spankys? Sorry, just trying to be helpful. :O

Okay, I looked it up. It is called Spankys. Its at:
811 University Ave

n8v_ndn
10/1/2012, 11:35 PM
Thanks for all the info. My family and I are making our first trip this weekend (my wife's teaching a workshop the following Monday so we're making a get away of it). I've always heard bad things but we figure we ought to try it once so we can bitch about it with authority.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/1/2012, 11:55 PM
Another protip: Stay in Amarillo and spend as little time in Lubbock as possible.Amarillo is a friendly town. I had a blast being there for a couple or 3 weeks, albeit long ago.

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 12:46 AM
Thanks for all the info. My family and I are making our first trip this weekend (my wife's teaching a workshop the following Monday so we're making a get away of it). I've always heard bad things but we figure we ought to try it once so we can bitch about it with authority.

I would love to hear your opinion when you get back. I was there for the bad call game. Their fans became rabid. I was also there for the classless, ongoing taunting when our QB got injured. I haven't been back since, and will never go again.

I will never go to a game in Louisiana if we are playing LSU either, for the same reason. As bad as the TT fans are, LSU fans are much much worse.

10/2/2012, 02:56 AM
I would love to hear your opinion when you get back. I was there for the bad call game. Their fans became rabid. I was also there for the classless, ongoing taunting when our QB got injured. I haven't been back since, and will never go again.

I will never go to a game in Louisiana if we are playing LSU either, for the same reason. As bad as the TT fans are, LSU fans are much much worse.Apparently, there are only 2 types of college football fans. OU fans, and OU haters. People are passionate about our Sooners.

OUTrumpet
10/2/2012, 06:06 AM

This. Last time I went, it was so windy and with all that dirt in the air I came back with bronchitis.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
10/2/2012, 06:54 AM
I know I am in the minority here, but I love Lubbock. It is the true definition of a west Texas town and a college town. Their fans are a little rough, but that is because they are bored college kids. haha. It is a very laid back place though, I really do miss going out there.

Phil
10/2/2012, 07:55 AM
we figure we ought to try it once so we can bitch about it with authority.

Good call. Unfortunately, I am the ultimate authority - been to every OU-Tech game ever.

PrideMom
10/2/2012, 08:36 AM
Make sure to wear sunglasses, the blowing sand is terrible! You will have to bathe after the game before you go anywhere to eat because you will be covered in sand!! Nasty place in more ways than one!

texas bandman
10/2/2012, 09:41 AM
And the speed limit on I-40 and I-27 is 75 except for Lubbock and Amarillo city limits. I like Gardski's Loft on Broadway just east of the college a few blocks. Spanky's does have great cheese sticks. There's a new mexican food place on the loop that's pretty good called Chuy's. It's been crowded since it opened and the one time I went there the food was good and portions were huge.

SoonerInLubbock
10/2/2012, 10:49 AM
When I first moved to Lubbock 6 years ago, all I could think about was my exit plan. But fast forward to today and things are a bit different. First and formost my child was born in Lubbock TX (he's already a raging Sooner fan, so I feel I've done my part as a good parent, lol). His mother and I are no longer together which means I am now married to Lubbock. As much as I would like to go back to Edmond I would never leave my child. That said Lubbock has been good to me. There are a lot of really good down to earth people here. Small town values with all the amenities of a big city. Yes Tech fans are delusional, but I've kinda gotten used to it. My quick response to all of them is "when you get 7, come talk to me". All and all though it could be worse, I could be stuck in El Paso.

On another note and this goes back to the fans here being delusional. So far this week all I hear from Tech fans is how great their defense is and how they have the number 1 defense in the NCAA. How quickly they forget the fact that, so far they have only played powder-puff teams. They were actually bragging about their "Big Win" over Iowa St on Double T 104.3 (sports radio). I really hope OU comes in and tears em a new one, I have to live here I don't want to spend another year being taunted by these fans.

Oh and for the person who asked earlier in this thread, yes The Spoon is still here and it's still a dive bar.

SoonerInLubbock
10/2/2012, 11:03 AM
Also sombody asked about Lubbock radio so here is the short list of stations off the top of my head.

The Red Dirt Rebel 105.3 (Red Dirt Country music, think Wormy Dog artists)
94.5 FMX (pretty much like The KATT)
96.3 KLLL (pretty much like The Twister)
Double T 104.3 (sports talk, like WWLS minus Traber)
MIXX 100 (100.3) Pop
104.9 The Beat (RAP)
Rock 101.1 (Classic Rock, carbon copy of KRXO)

BeaSooner
10/2/2012, 12:26 PM
This. Last time I went, it was so windy and with all that dirt in the air I came back with bronchitis.

"....ain't NOBODY got time for that!"

Tear Down This Wall
10/2/2012, 12:42 PM
Spanky's for sure. Great burgers.

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 03:14 PM
Spanky's for sure. Great burgers.Get there early. They are busy on game days. :)

SoonerInLubbock
10/2/2012, 06:41 PM
Not sure If y'all have em yet, but there is also a Jack In The Box across from the stadium. That's used to be my favorite part of visiting Texas. Although I'm burned out on it now. I would gladly trade Jack In The Box for Braums or Johnnies burger.

Phil
10/3/2012, 08:57 AM
Not sure If y'all have em yet, but there is also a Jack In The Box across from the stadium. That's used to be my favorite part of visiting Texas. Although I'm burned out on it now. I would gladly trade Jack In The Box for Braums or Johnnies burger.

Meh. There's a Jack in the Box within sight of my office in Edmond now. The novelty is long gone.

TumbleweedDoom
10/3/2012, 09:03 AM
If you don't find time to eat at Orlando's (there's one on Ave. Q and one on Indiana Ave.), you're missing the best restaurant in Lubbock. Actually, if you put it in Norman, it'd be my favorite restaurant there too.

I proposed to my wife there. It's got that going for it, too.

MamaMia
10/3/2012, 09:22 AM
If any of you are there the next morning for breakfast please try The Pancake House. We ate there every Sunday morning when we have been there. They have the best breakfast burritos and they also have sweet potato pancakes. All their food is down home fresh and so good. You can even buy a sack of the sweet potato pancake mix. They have a special Cinnamon and nutmeg type syrup that they will give you the recipe for. They just add some spices to maple syrup.

510 Ave Q, Lubbock, TX

That Hotel, I think is a Holiday Inn right across the street from the Pancake House is where the team stays. Their buses will arrive the evening before. We just happened to be staying there and ran into Dean Blevins, so we, along with some other OU guests were able to greet the team. Teddy Lehman gave me a hug. :D They love it when the fans greet the buses. Maybe that would be a nice gesture to show them that we still have faith in them.

texas bandman
10/3/2012, 02:35 PM
That Holiday Inn across from the Pancake House is old and crappy. Guess that's the consequences of losing....crappy hotels all year long!

And the Pancake House has great food. I like their western Omelet.

texas bandman
10/3/2012, 02:41 PM
Almost forgot Stella's which is a little more upscale, but does accept reservations if you hate waiting on a table. It's at 50th and Utica.

10/3/2012, 02:46 PM
Well, maybe we can show the team we still love 'em , without fudging that we still have faith in them.

SoonerInLubbock
10/4/2012, 10:24 AM
Cold front just hit Lubbock, dress accordingly. Looks like a high of only 47 for Saturday.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/4/2012, 12:28 PM
Most excellent. Oklahoma has never lost a game when the high was only 47.

lubbocksooner
10/4/2012, 04:44 PM
Don't forget 107.7 a 80's 90's mix mostly with some classic. I too married a local girl but we have since moved out to Idalou. Much nicer sunsets and quieter. I will probably have to listen to the game a friend and I are putting the front end of my F350 back together. Tech fans are really worked up, I hope to dissapoint them this weekend. The forecast is moving around I have seen everything from mid 50's to low 40's on weatherunderground. Good Luck to the team. I think the best place to eat is going to be my grill I have a whole ribeye to cut up!

Also sombody asked about Lubbock radio so here is the short list of stations off the top of my head.

The Red Dirt Rebel 105.3 (Red Dirt Country music, think Wormy Dog artists)
94.5 FMX (pretty much like The KATT)
96.3 KLLL (pretty much like The Twister)
Double T 104.3 (sports talk, like WWLS minus Traber)
MIXX 100 (100.3) Pop
104.9 The Beat (RAP)
Rock 101.1 (Classic Rock, carbon copy of KRXO)

radio
10/4/2012, 07:36 PM
Gotta love West Texas. If you don't like the weather wait 15 minutes. Or drive 20 miles. It will change.