PDA

View Full Version : 11 AM Kick in Dallas

fwsooner22
10/1/2012, 11:16 AM
That's early but I like that time. More time for the celebration later.

Fraggle145
10/1/2012, 11:27 AM

BoulderSooner79
10/1/2012, 11:29 AM

You're giving that news 4 stars?

Fraggle145
10/1/2012, 11:30 AM
You're giving that news 4 stars?
**** you. :D

badger
10/1/2012, 11:36 AM
Back when kickoff was 2:30, they'd make the marching band rehearse in the morning. One good thing about the kickoff being moved to 11/noon was that the morning rehearsal was axed.

Not that I care anymore, it's just one thing that I really remember about the early start games.

Soonerntxs
10/1/2012, 11:39 AM
I guess it is beer & cherrioes again and not beer & brats :)

goingoneight
10/1/2012, 11:59 AM
Why can't we kick off at 10:59pm like usual?

yermom
10/1/2012, 12:41 PM
1100 AM kickoffs blow.

you people that complain about 6:00 PM can **** right off ;)

BoomerJack
10/1/2012, 12:47 PM
That's early but I like that time. More time for the celebration later.

Spoken like an individual who thinks his glass is more than half full. At this point at least.

StoopTroup
10/1/2012, 01:03 PM
Fexans can't handle their liquor if it was any earlier. Plus....it gives us time to clear out before their real fans get there. They can't get down to Walmart, buy a new whorn t-shirt and get down to the fair midway to start talking about how bad *** their team is until around 5-6 pm.

As much as I don't like the early start there are some advantages.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
10/1/2012, 01:08 PM
Gives you plenty of time to get the hell out of Fair Park in the daylight.

StoopTroup
10/1/2012, 01:23 PM
​yup

C&CDean
10/1/2012, 01:33 PM
New plan this year. Momma and I are going down on Friday morning instead of Thursday. One of the kids is coming down later Friday. We're all going to Pappadeaux's for supper and then to the hotel. On Saturday morning, her and the kid are taking our tickets to the game, and my brother and I are going fishing at the Texoma lakehouse. We'll watch the game from there. I'm predicting it will be the calmest my gut has been for an OU/TX game in many a year, I won't have to deal with the POS State Fair hokey crapola, and I'll be headed against traffic going North. Win-win-win.

jk the sooner fan
10/1/2012, 01:36 PM
the city/fair loses so much money with an 11am kick - you'd think they'd be a bit more savvy in trying to negotiate a 2:30 kick

jk the sooner fan
10/1/2012, 01:41 PM
having said that - i live here and wouldnt want to be in fair park around 6pm :D

sooneron
10/1/2012, 01:49 PM
**** me! With the concert the night before, this old dude will be dragging.

BermudaSooner
10/1/2012, 02:00 PM
**** me! With the concert the night before, this old dude will be dragging.

What concert?

picasso
10/1/2012, 02:06 PM
I think he's going to see The Violent Femmes.

sooneron
10/1/2012, 02:09 PM
Close (era-wise), New Order.

picasso
10/1/2012, 02:12 PM
Heh! Deep Ellum?
I had a chick bite my triceps at a bar down there once upon a time.

JLEW1818
10/1/2012, 02:23 PM
Hope the rest of the day isn't ruined

sooneron
10/1/2012, 02:30 PM
They're playing @ Palladium Ballroom. HUGE factor for hotel choice. That, and the stadium.

nighttrain12
10/1/2012, 02:41 PM
Also, Saturday night, there is a possibility of a Texas Rangers ALCS game 1 over in Arlington. They have to win their first round series (ALDS) and have the better record over the team they are playing (likely). I already have my ticket and that should give me time to get over there for about a 7pm start.

I'd be cutting it close with a 2:30pm OU/Texas start and with the traffic on the way over there.

C&CDean
10/1/2012, 02:53 PM
Oh to be young and dumb again...

I used to love Friday nights in Dallas. Partying till we puked, fistfights on Commerce, screaming "Texas Sucks" till we were hoarse, moshing our way through the West End, etc.

Now? Not so much. You couldn't pay me to go downtown and party. Now it's some drinks at the hotel, a short trip to a restaurant for more drinks/dinner, then back to the hotel and in bed by 10:30 or so. Go to the game early, avoid fair food, get the eff outta there when the clock reads 00:00, get the eff outta Texas within an hour or two, then celebrate the victory or drown the sorrow at the house on Saturday night.

You young guys carry on.

sooneron
10/1/2012, 03:21 PM
Dude, my hotel is .10 of a mile from the concert venue. That was NOT by mistake. Party at the show and move it back to the hotel bar with AWESOME vu for a nightcap or two...
I miss the commerce days til the gangstas ruined it all back in the early 90's.

C&CDean
10/1/2012, 03:39 PM
Dude, my hotel is .10 of a mile from the concert venue. That was NOT by mistake. Party at the show and move it back to the hotel bar with AWESOME vu for a nightcap or two...
I miss the commerce days til the gangstas ruined it all back in the early 90's.

Yeah, except that the concert will be just barely started when I'm crashing out. I just can't do the "stay up till 2-3am then get up at 7 and function like a human" deal anymore. I mean I can, but I choose not to. I've come to realize there's a party somewhere every night. If I miss this one? No biggie, there'll be another.

Have fun.

jk the sooner fan
10/1/2012, 03:49 PM
i was always under the impression the fire department with the water cannons at 1am ruined Commerce Street

StoopTroup
10/1/2012, 04:57 PM
I really like the Stoneleigh. Best time I've ever had Downtown during a RRSO includes staying there.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/1/2012, 05:08 PM
Back when kickoff was 2:30, they'd make the marching band rehearse in the morning. One good thing about the kickoff being moved to 11/noon was that the morning rehearsal was axed.

Not that I care anymore, it's just one thing that I really remember about the early start games.

God, don't remind me about morning step turns after playing the Dallas Drunk, errr Alumni party Friday night...:)

Phil
10/1/2012, 07:45 PM
i was always under the impression the fire department with the water cannons at 1am ruined Commerce Street

Nope - it was the dude that shot the local riding in the back of a pickup that was the last straw. 1992. Never forget that night - we got run off of Commerce with everyone else by the cops after the shooting, then I got sucker punched in the face by some dude in the middle of an attempted robbery of my group by an Asian street gang. I guess it was an actual robbery, as they did get away with a girl's shoes. We were just happy we didn't get shot/knifed, but she insisted on reporting it to the cops when we got back over to the West End. Literally right when she started telling this cop, a dude knifed another dude like 10 feet away and was immediately swarmed by the cops. The cop told her to call in her report on Saturday. Needless to say, that was the last time I went downtown the night before the game. I should have known better than to go downtown with a guy who had a bullet hole in his windshield.

olevetonahill
10/1/2012, 07:56 PM
Hell Commerce was gettin to dang wild fer me in the 80s

Soonerus
10/1/2012, 07:58 PM
Commerce was really fun in its day...nothing like it now...

olevetonahill
10/1/2012, 08:05 PM
Commerce was really fun in its day...nothing like it now...

Yes it was, Then the Punks showed up.

jk the sooner fan
10/1/2012, 08:11 PM
it was the 80s they brought out the water cannons - not sure if that was an annual thing or just a one time occasion

picasso
10/1/2012, 08:24 PM
You guys remember the year they wouldn't let you cross the street in the West End? I'm pretty sure it was '90. You had to walk all the way to the end of the block and you couldn't stop on the sidewalks. That was the year my buddy passed by a table and picked up a full pitcher of beer on our way out. heh

Chuck Bao
10/2/2012, 12:39 AM
New plan this year. Momma and I are going down on Friday morning instead of Thursday. One of the kids is coming down later Friday. We're all going to Pappadeaux's for supper and then to the hotel. On Saturday morning, her and the kid are taking our tickets to the game, and my brother and I are going fishing at the Texoma lakehouse. We'll watch the game from there. I'm predicting it will be the calmest my gut has been for an OU/TX game in many a year, I won't have to deal with the POS State Fair hokey crapola, and I'll be headed against traffic going North. Win-win-win.

Ha! Good planning. Now, I won't expect to run into you at the fair, like I did last year. I'm sure my family will leave home at 6am and arrive at the fair grounds by 8am, giving everyone 2 hours to get all that state fair stuff over and done with before the game. We'll probably be back home by 5pm. Let me know if you're catching any fish and I may join you.

PrideMom
10/2/2012, 08:42 AM
It is the traffic for the 11:00 AM game that makes it a terrible time! Last year we had the easiest time ever going, we actually took the train (though two years before that I swore NEVER AGAIN) and they had buses that took us directly to the fair grounds. The car was parked (for free) in a safe lot away from the fair park, and the train ticket is only $5 a piece. Can't beat the price. We stay in the Bedford area....

C&CDean
10/2/2012, 09:28 AM
Ha! Good planning. Now, I won't expect to run into you at the fair, like I did last year. I'm sure my family will leave home at 6am and arrive at the fair grounds by 8am, giving everyone 2 hours to get all that state fair stuff over and done with before the game. We'll probably be back home by 5pm. Let me know if you're catching any fish and I may join you.

Will do.

sooneron
10/2/2012, 12:14 PM
Yeah, except that the concert will be just barely started when I'm crashing out. I just can't do the "stay up till 2-3am then get up at 7 and function like a human" deal anymore. I mean I can, but I choose not to. I've come to realize there's a party somewhere every night. If I miss this one? No biggie, there'll be another.

Have fun.
I will, but I can only do it once a year...

badger
10/2/2012, 12:45 PM
OU wins = good for the economy. Sooners stay in Dallas area, shop, eat, and even stay another night at hotels.

OU loses = bad for the economy. Sooners grouchily trek back north on I-35 immediately after the game.

Longhorns really don't give a crap about the Dallas area, as they live in that state so they see no reason to go to Dallas restaurants, bars, hotels, etc.

jk the sooner fan
10/2/2012, 01:25 PM
Longhorns really don't give a crap about the Dallas area, as they live in that state so they see no reason to go to Dallas restaurants, bars, hotels, etc.

could not be more untrue....

badger
10/2/2012, 01:42 PM
could not be more untrue....

OK, so I exaggerate. UT fans will stay Friday night, but Saturday, win or lose?

jk the sooner fan
10/2/2012, 02:28 PM
nm

Fraggle145
10/2/2012, 02:30 PM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/dirty-funny-photos-chive-12.jpg?w=500&h=625