PDA

View Full Version : My observation from the OSU/TX game...

Soonerus
9/30/2012, 09:59 AM
They may well be both better than OU...

BigTip
9/30/2012, 10:03 AM
duh.

Sad but true.
If we don't pull our heads out, everyone will be better than us.

BoulderSooner79
9/30/2012, 10:26 AM
Both OSU and TX are better than the OU we've seen so far. Things can change.

Breadburner
9/30/2012, 10:58 AM
There is no doubt at the QB position....

kevpks
9/30/2012, 11:26 AM
True if we play like we did against K-State. However, what I see are huge opportunities to exploit the terrible defenses I witnessed yesterday. Our toughest game left might be @TCU since they actually play defense, are well coached across the board, and have just enough weapons on offense.

SoonerorLater
9/30/2012, 11:33 AM

That is a sad but true statement. How did we get to the point where a second-string redshirt freshman QB from OSU looks better than our 5th year senior 4 year starter QB? Forget Texas and OSU for the moment. I'm not sure how we get out of Lubbock with a W without substantial improvement over the KSU game.

SoonerorLater
9/30/2012, 11:43 AM
True if we play like we did against K-State. However, what I see are huge opportunities to exploit the terrible defenses I witnessed yesterday. Our toughest game left might be @TCU since they actually play defense, are well coached across the board, and have just enough weapons on offense.

Good luck with this exploiting stuff. We couldn't exploit UTEP, a less than average Conference USA team. Unless the staff has worked some magic over the last week we may be 2-2 after this next game. It looks like TT has a new found decent defense. they're only giving up a little over 10 points a game. I know they haven't played the greatest schedule but still in past they would be winning games like they've played so far something like 50-34.

kevpks
9/30/2012, 11:53 AM
Unless the staff has worked some magic over the last week we may be 2-2 after this next game.

Since when did avoiding boneheaded penalties and turnovers become magical? It's not as if they're incapable of moving the ball. I'd like to see OU put together four decent quarters. It has been done before. Thankfully these bye weeks are over. I'm ready to see the Sooners get back on the field. People around here act like we're going to go 2-10 after a five point loss to a ranked team.

SoonerorLater
9/30/2012, 12:16 PM
Since when did avoiding boneheaded penalties and turnovers become magical? It's not as if they're incapable of moving the ball. I'd like to see OU put together four decent quarters. It has been done before. Thankfully these bye weeks are over. I'm ready to see the Sooners get back on the field. People around here act like we're going to go 2-10 after a five point loss to a ranked team.

It will be magic because in 4 years with Landry as QB we haven't been able to get rid of the "boneheaded penalties and turnovers". If the coaching staff has been able to do this over the last week then I will stand corrected. Also it isn't because of a 5 point loss...at home, to well coached but slightly above average team talent-wise. Starting with the loss to TT last year we have played what I would consider one really good game.

picasso
9/30/2012, 12:24 PM
We wouldn't give up 60 points to Arizona.

Breadburner
9/30/2012, 12:27 PM
We cannot afford to make any mistakes on either side of the ball...Especially offense....

kevpks
9/30/2012, 12:37 PM

It will be magic because in 4 years with Landry as QB we haven't been able to get rid of the "boneheaded penalties and turnovers". If the coaching staff has been able to do this over the last week then I will stand corrected. Also it isn't because of a 5 point loss...at home, to well coached but slightly above average team talent-wise. Starting with the loss to TT last year we have played what I would consider one really good game.

Like him or hate him, Landry has won a lot of big games at OU. That game against K-State was one of his worst. He frustrates me more than anyone, but he does not play that bad every game.

I had to edit this to add the word "not" Freudian slip...lol

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/30/2012, 12:43 PM
Good luck with this exploiting stuff. We couldn't exploit UTEP, a less than average Conference USA team. Unless the staff has worked some magic over the last week we may be 2-2 after this next game. It looks like TT has a new found decent defense. they're only giving up a little over 10 points a game. I know they haven't played the greatest schedule but still in past they would be winning games like they've played so far something like 50-34.Tubberville's defenses at Auburn were good, if I remember correctly. Not surprised his defense is improved at sandaggy.

OU_Sooners75
9/30/2012, 01:22 PM
http://metsmerizedonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/the-sky-is-falling.jpg

Sooner70
9/30/2012, 01:29 PM
Yep. My sentiments also. Don't think the OU that played KSU could beat either Texas or OSU if they played thataway. Let's hope Sooners can get their act in order, or it's gonna be a long season. The TT game will tell a lot. If the Sooners go out there and take a butt whuppin in Lubbock, or exhibit the same knucklehead behavior as in KSU game, it's curtains. If they put together a good game, minimize turnovers and exhibit the talent they can, come away with a W, then maybe the train will be back on track.

kevpks
9/30/2012, 01:34 PM
The good thing about being as inconsistent as OU has been the last few years is that it means although you struggle to be consistently good, you're also never consistently bad. We're due for a good game.

Fraggle145
9/30/2012, 02:35 PM
I wont be surprised if either of those teams push our **** in. Really, I only expect to beat Kansas and Iowa State at this point. TTech in tortilla town worries me since we havent won there since '03, Notre Dame, W.Va, osu, Texas, TCU, and Baylor can all beat us.

badger
9/30/2012, 02:35 PM
Meh, we have a few weeks before whorn and a few months before poke. Let em dick around with their qb situations a bit while ignoring their defensive woes and we will be fine.

And if not, well, we gotta let whorn win occasionally or theyll implode the big 12 hehe

Fraggle145
9/30/2012, 02:37 PM
Meh, we have a few weeks before whorn and a few months before poke. Let em dick around with their qb situations a bit while ignoring their defensive woes and we will be fine.

And if not, well, we gotta let whorn win occasionally or theyll implode the big 12 hehe

We have to be able to pass to beat OSUs Defense and we need to be able to run to beat Texas' Defense. Either way we are ****ed since we cant do either very well.

possumfat
9/30/2012, 03:17 PM
It's a sad situation, must admit I haven't seen anything in our first three games that convinces me we are any better than Texas or OSU. How did we get here................actually wondering if we can beat Texas Tech next week????????????????????????????????????

MamaMia
9/30/2012, 03:41 PM
I'm concerned because having a "week off to prepare" for a 'home game' didn't help us much before. Why would it help us against a team who we have not only lost to on their field since 2003, but who also beat us on our own field just last season?

SoonerorLater
9/30/2012, 03:47 PM
QB issues aside unless we can control the line of scrimmage we are going to have a woeful year. To this point our defense has been somewhat efficient with the exception of last week when we couldn't make a stop at the end of the game. I think this is going to be apparent when we play TT. If we can't get an upfield push we are going to have a very long day. Oddly enough I think our O Line will hold up pretty well against TT. I don't have a good feeling about this game. We haven't won in Lubbock since Jason White's first year as starting QB.

MamaMia
9/30/2012, 03:55 PM
We've only won 2 games in Lubbock since 1999.

picasso
9/30/2012, 04:30 PM
That stat is misleading when you consider we got screwed one year and lost our QB in the first quarter another season.
'09 was bad.

BoulderSooner79
9/30/2012, 06:14 PM
Those historical stats don't mean squat. Both teams are very different since 3 years ago and totally unrelated to teams prior to that. TT even has a different HC. If we struggle down there, it won't be because of location other than the fact road games are always tougher.

8timechamps
9/30/2012, 06:25 PM
Okay, I watched the Texas/OSU game from start to finish, and I fail to see what is so great about either team. I will give Ash credit for a solid game winning drive, but I didn't see anything that made me think either of the two are too good to be beaten. OSU was unranked for a reason. They lost to a pretty awful Arizona team. Texas played it's first competitive team last night, but again how good is OSU? I think next week, when Texas plays Baylor, we'll know just how good Texas' defense really is.

SoonerorLater
9/30/2012, 06:50 PM
Okay, I watched the Texas/OSU game from start to finish, and I fail to see what is so great about either team. I will give Ash credit for a solid game winning drive, but I didn't see anything that made me think either of the two are too good to be beaten. OSU was unranked for a reason. They lost to a pretty awful Arizona team. Texas played it's first competitive team last night, but again how good is OSU? I think next week, when Texas plays Baylor, we'll know just how good Texas' defense really is.

I don't think Texas or OSU team is great but I did see Ash make some throws that he couldn't make last year. I saw OSU with a backup QB move the ball effectively on what people consider the best Big 12's defense (for what that's worth) The problem I have is that OU doesn't look good either. Maybe we will see something Saturday but right now every game, ex- KU, looks like a crapshoot.

8timechamps
9/30/2012, 06:58 PM
I don't think Texas or OSU team is great but I did see Ash make some throws that he couldn't make last year. I saw OSU with a backup QB move the ball effectively on what people consider the best Big 12's defense (for what that's worth) The problem I have is that OU doesn't look good either. Maybe we will see something Saturday but right now every game, ex- KU, looks like a crapshoot.

I'll agree that Ash looked better than he did last year. He also didn't looked pressured much (if at all). I don't know if we can change that when it's our time. As for OSU, I knew Lunt had to be a talented kid to be starting as a true-freshman, and he made some mistakes that you'd expect a true-freshman QB to make. I know Texas has been heralded as having the best defense in the league, but I really haven't seen it. They did step up late in last nights game, and they have a very formidable pair of DEs. I know it's not going to be a 63-14 type of game, but then again, I never go into the RRR thinking that it's going to be easy.

I'll also agree that every game left on our schedule (including this week against Tech) looks like a challenge (minus poor KU of course). I really hope I don't feel the same way in a couple of weeks.

8timechamps
9/30/2012, 07:02 PM
While we're on the subject of this game, did anyone else think Gundy mismanaged the game late? When the Pokes were driving late in the game, they called three run plays in a row. Texas held, and forced OSU to kick the go-ahead FG. OSU had been able to pass on the Horns most of the night, it just seemed like he should have been a little more aggressive because even with the FG, Texas could have won with a field goal. It's easy to coach with 20/20 hindsight, and from the comfort of the living room, but I just thought he played it too safe.

Fraggle145
9/30/2012, 07:11 PM

Both of their offenses appear to work. Ours doesnt.

I never said we couldnt beat them. I just dont think that with the way our offense is playing that it seems likely.

8timechamps
9/30/2012, 07:14 PM
Both of their offenses appear to work. Ours doesnt.

I never said we couldnt beat them. I just dont think that with the way our offense is playing that it seems likely.

Yeah, but what's to say either team is better than KSU? My point is that watching other teams play doesn't tell you anything about OU. I will agree that if we can't get rid of the mistakes, we're going to lose more than just one game.

Fraggle145
9/30/2012, 07:18 PM
Yeah, but what's to say either team is better than KSU? My point is that watching other teams play doesn't tell you anything about OU. I will agree that if we can't get rid of the mistakes, we're going to lose more than just one game.

Watching other teams can tell you what your team would need to do to beat that team. Thats why watching other teams this weekend increased my level of disgust with this year so far. IMHO we havent shown (yet) that we are capable of playing up to a level to beat most of the teams in the Big XII.

To win in the big XII you gotta score a **** ton of points and win the turn over battle. We havent proven to be very good at either one of those yet.

CowboyMRW
9/30/2012, 07:20 PM
Couple observations:

Either David Ash has improved tremendously, had the game of his life against us, or our secondary is not what people were touting. I'm going to go with 1 and 3.

I thought this was one of the few games since we've had Bill Young, that we dominated the LOS defensively. We did until that 2nd to last drive. I don't know if we were exhausted or what, but they ran it down our throats effectively. Up until then, I thought we had been doing a great job.

Tackling was a major weak spot last night. I lost track of how many broken tackles they had. But then again, Texas doesn't tackle at all either. Wrap up for goodness sakes.

Couple quick observations: Jackson Jeffcoat might be the most overrated DE in the nation. We ran right at him all game long, and he was getting manhandled. I would suggest yall do the same.

Texas does not have a very good DC or OC, IMO. Not impressed with either Diaz or Harsin. Diaz's blitzes are not disguised very well and are easy to see. They play a lot of cover 1 and sadly we didn't take full advantage of that. We really lack a true #1 WR that can take over a game. Harsin tries to get way too cute and tricky and will get away from what is working pretty easily. It made me laugh a couple times that he did it.

Alas, I'm disappointed that we didn't come away with the victory. That KO return for a TD was really what won it. And our defenses inability to stop 3rd and 4th down. If BY is gone after this year, I'm not sure that it would break my heart. The damn cushions we give on 3rd and 5 upset me so much. Didn't really buy the fumble excuse. Haven't really seen a replay of it yet, but at the game, I had no idea that he fumbled til I got back to the house and every one was telling me about it. I saw the Skip Bayless tweet, but I give him no credence whatsoever.

Also, Joseph Randle is a beast.

C&CDean
9/30/2012, 07:23 PM
OU will soundly pound the living dog**** outta both of the orange freaks. Bank it. We're nowhere near as bad as we've looked. Again, bank it.

CowboyMRW
9/30/2012, 07:24 PM
While we're on the subject of this game, did anyone else think Gundy mismanaged the game late? When the Pokes were driving late in the game, they called three run plays in a row. Texas held, and forced OSU to kick the go-ahead FG. OSU had been able to pass on the Horns most of the night, it just seemed like he should have been a little more aggressive because even with the FG, Texas could have won with a field goal. It's easy to coach with 20/20 hindsight, and from the comfort of the living room, but I just thought he played it too safe.

I'll chime in. I do in fact think he did. When the drive started I was worried that we were going to try and settle for a FG, and then the first 3 plays happened and I was like, "Alright we're going for the killshot." And then we got to the Red Zone and 3 straight runs. That doesn't upset me as much as the clock management. We snapped the ball 3 times on that drive with over 20 seconds left on the play clock. If you're going to go for the FG, you snap the ball with less than 5 seconds. Instead of giving Texas 2 minutes or whatever it was, they should've only had like 30 seconds. Major error on our part.

SoonerorLater
9/30/2012, 07:28 PM

In a word Yes. It looked like Gundy was just happy to go for 3. Why he did that is beyond me. OSU had moved the ball consistently and their defense hadn't been able stop Texas very well all night. If there were 45 seconds left on the clock maybe, but as it was Gundy just tightened up too much. Very unlike what I have seen from Gundy.

picasso
9/30/2012, 08:05 PM
Just who exactly was touting the Poke secondary?

CowboyMRW
9/30/2012, 08:19 PM
Just who exactly was touting the Poke secondary?

Coming into the year, many people were saying that we had either the best or the second best secondary in the nation. General consensus had either us or Texas as 1 and 2. ESPN did a huge article about both teams secondaries.

Justin Gilbert was touted as a 1st round pick. Number 23 on the big board. Brodrick Brown was an AA last year. Lowe was one of our leading tacklers and led in FF (or FR) last year. Shamiel Gary was a Freshman AA. We definitely have the talent.

picasso
9/30/2012, 08:21 PM
I never heard anyone say oSu had the best secondary in the nation. That's just silly funny **** right there.
You guys were lucky enough you ended up with Markelle Martin.

CowboyMRW
9/30/2012, 09:44 PM
I never heard anyone say oSu had the best secondary in the nation. That's just silly funny **** right there.
You guys were lucky enough you ended up with Markelle Martin.

How were we lucky to end up with Markelle? We out recruited you for him.

I'll find the articles tomorrow when I have some free time of people that were saying our secondary is top 2 in the nation.

BigTip
9/30/2012, 09:57 PM
I think I found the reason aggy lost.
Dumbazz traitor quarterback:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/75751_10152121379275117_886299500_n.jpg

picasso
9/30/2012, 10:30 PM
How were we lucky to end up with Markelle? We out recruited you for him.

I'll find the articles tomorrow when I have some free time of people that were saying our secondary is top 2 in the nation.
You guys are lucky any time you land a big time player like he was. And you're telling me you lose him, probably the best safety in oSu history (yeah he was better than Mark Moore) and your secondary is somehow better? Based on what?
You've obviously become a victim of silly hyperbole if you bought that crap.

CowboyMRW
9/30/2012, 10:36 PM
You guys are lucky any time you land a big time player like he was. And you're telling me you lose him, probably the best safety in oSu history (yeah he was better than Mark Moore) and your secondary is somehow better? Based on what?
You've obviously become a victim of silly hyperbole if you bought that crap.

'Kelle was one of my favorite players at OSU. Great team leader and great tackler. Coverage was suspect though. But it was fun seeing him play.

Big time media outlets were doing the touting. Yes we did lose him, and it was a monster loss, but we also returned 3 players that will be playing on Sundays. Brown was an AA. Gilbert is a first round guy at corner. Lowe is a very good player. Obviously our team is not living up to the hype at all, but they were very highly regarded coming into the season.

Maybe in the past we were lucky, but right now we're bringing in some very good players, and I don't think it's luck. Top notch facilities and we're winning a lot lately. Recruits like to see that.

StoopTroup
9/30/2012, 11:06 PM
Top notch facilities and we're winning a lot lately. Recruits like to see that.

Top notch? I guess top notch and saying you are winning a lot can be compared to winning as many games as you do lose? Your team is 2-2. If that's winning a lot lately then denial is as fresh with one of our two resident poke fans as it is with all the other pokes I try to avoid talking with.

cyclonesooner
9/30/2012, 11:49 PM
Early in the winning Texas drive, OSU was rushing 4 and getting good pressure on Ash, then they made the dumb mistake of rushing 3 which gave him all day to throw the ball. I'll never agree with that strategy. Only works a small percentage of the time. I think it cost them the game.

CowboyMRW
10/1/2012, 07:21 AM
Top notch? I guess top notch and saying you are winning a lot can be compared to winning as many games as you do lose? Your team is 2-2. If that's winning a lot lately then denial is as fresh with one of our two resident poke fans as it is with all the other pokes I try to avoid talking with.

We are 43-13 since 2008, which would the RS Senior's recruiting year. So, I would say yes, we're winning a lot lately.

So you're saying our facilities aren't top notch?

picasso
10/1/2012, 07:44 AM
Lewis is field is nicely done but it's not a D-1 cathedral. It's more like a mid major crowned jewel.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/1/2012, 08:36 AM
A good stadium can never run east/west. It just isn't right.

Fraggle145
10/1/2012, 10:44 AM
A good stadium can never run east/west. It just isn't right.

Sanford Stadium in Athens, GA begs to differ.

StoopTroup
10/1/2012, 11:00 AM
OU will soundly pound the living dog**** outta both of the orange freaks. Bank it. We're nowhere near as bad as we've looked. Again, bank it.

Thank you. I'm not sure I can hear one more Doom and Gloomer toss his Madden 2013 Resume at our Coaching Staff.

StoopTroup
10/1/2012, 11:03 AM
Lewis is field is nicely done but it's not a D-1 cathedral. It's more like a mid major crowned jewel.

Its the kind of Stadium you'd think Tulsa University would have built for their Football Team instead of decreasing the Seating Capacity and using Townhouses to sell Frito Chili Pies and Hot Chocolate out of.

cjames317
10/1/2012, 11:51 AM
Agreed that Joseph Randle is a beast. I sure would like to see Damien and Dom knock the horns' DBs on their azzes like he did.

What's the word on Malcolm Brown?

SoonerinSouthlake
10/1/2012, 12:59 PM

which is really Sad considering David Ash is the QB at whorn