PDA

View Full Version : help me out guys, i have to buy a new tv...

stonecoldsoonerfan
9/29/2012, 11:55 AM
not sure what all is out there to buy, what features are available since the advent of the computer/internet, etc. i am considering trying to get rid of cox and maybe use over the air or some alternative source of tv imput. can anyone help me out on what features to look for? any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

olevetonahill
9/29/2012, 11:57 AM
I aint got a clue Bro
I got a cheap 40 in. Flat screen that does what I want, IE show football games :very_drunk:

MamaMia
9/29/2012, 12:32 PM
When I wanted to size up, I just went to the store and looked at all the pictures on the thin flat screen HD ones with bigger screens and bought the one that was pleasing to my eyes. Everyone always says what a good picture my TV has. I think thats whats important.

SoonerBBall
10/1/2012, 11:53 AM
not sure what all is out there to buy, what features are available since the advent of the computer/internet, etc. i am considering trying to get rid of cox and maybe use over the air or some alternative source of tv imput. can anyone help me out on what features to look for? any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

What are you going to do with your TV? Are you mostly going to watch movies, do you want to watch Netflix, do you want to stream music or movies to it?

All of these things change what type of TV you would want to look for.

Also, don't go to BestBuy or anywhere similar and pick the TV that looks good. Big box stores are notorious for jacking the brightness up as far as it will go. Also, the lighting and openness of the store doesn't give you a good idea of what it will look like in your home which is much smaller with much different lighting.

KantoSooner
10/1/2012, 12:46 PM
Regarding flat panels, keep in mind that there are only about four or five makers in the world. They then provide panels to the electronics companies who ultimately put their labels on the finished units. Do your wikipedia type research on what the terminology means, but don't sweat the brand names.

pphilfran
10/1/2012, 12:55 PM
What are you going to do with your TV? Are you mostly going to watch movies, do you want to watch Netflix, do you want to stream music or movies to it?

All of these things change what type of TV you would want to look for.

Also, don't go to BestBuy or anywhere similar and pick the TV that looks good. Big box stores are notorious for jacking the brightness up as far as it will go. Also, the lighting and openness of the store doesn't give you a good idea of what it will look like in your home which is much smaller with much different lighting.

This...and they will also mess with the contrast...

Whatever you end up buying be sure to use a set up DVD to maximize the picture quality...most people will have brightness and contrast set far from optimum...set up properly the picture might not look as bright but you will be able to see detail much better...

yermom
10/1/2012, 01:10 PM
don't use the TV speakers, and don't pay more than like 10 bucks for an HDMI cable.

badger
10/1/2012, 02:06 PM
We got a new TV about a year ago. It's a 50-inch Panasonic. We went to Best Buy fully intending to not buy but just look, and lo and behold, there was a really cheap TV with a free blu ray player just waiting for one of the blue shirts to sell to us.

So, with that in mind...

1- Go ahead and stop by a local electronics store first. "Showroom" if you must (that's where you look at prices, then whip out your iPhone to see if someone else has it cheaper) but you will probably find a pretty good deal locally.

2- Don't go 3-D. This was seriously the most idiotic idea in recent television history. Using glasses to use a TV at home? Seriously? Derp.

3- Don't worry about 1080 versus 720. There really doesn't seem to be that big of a difference unless you have a 200-inch TV (or Soonervision in your home or something).

4- Want a high def TV? Make sure you have a high def service. Seriously, you will never want to tune into a low-def channel ever again for anything with a high def television. It looks terrible.

don't use the TV speakers, and don't pay more than like 10 bucks for an HDMI cable.

This. You can find HDMI cables anywhere (don't get name brand ones, they are the same thing for once as the generic ones that are cheaper). Also, a sound system, even a bad one, will be better than TV speakers unless you're looking to put the TV in a small room (like a bedroom or bathroom or garage or something).

While I'm sure that the blue shirts did this, we have had no problems with our TV that we got from there. Unless you are planning on using your television to display French impressionist paintings that must have exact and precise coloring and pixelation, you are not going to care if the picture is not as perfect as it can be, IMHO.

i am considering trying to get rid of cox

Us too, but it's football season. Here's a few alternatives that we use:

1- ESPN on Xbox Live. You need to have a cable subscription to view it, but it gives you additional football games and replays of previous games/highlights.

2- Netflix. You can broadcast it off of some newer TVs, as well as blu ray players, video game consoles, and even your computer. It's less than $10 a month for internet streaming, so worth it if you use it.

3- Youtube. Now an app on Xbox Live, is also starting to do some live streaming of its own.

I am seeing a lot more streaming services popping up lately. Is cable en route out?

C&CDean
10/1/2012, 03:09 PM
Buy one that starts with "S" - Samsung, Sharp, Sony. If you're gonna have it somewhere where it might get beer spilled on it, or somebody might knock it over, buy a Vizio or LG. All the new ones do pretty much the same things these days. I own a Samsung, a Sharp, a Toshiba, a Panasonic, a Vizio, and a Sylvania. A couple LCDs, a couple LEDs, and I don't know what the hell the Sylvania is (it's a flatscreen like all the rest, but it won't sync up with Dish remote controls for whatever reason). The LEDs are great in a room where there's a lot of light. If you've got a dark room save some money and buy a plasma.

jk the sooner fan
10/1/2012, 04:00 PM
the new vizio's are MUCH better than the older/original

KantoSooner
10/1/2012, 04:06 PM
Let's see if I can remember how this lined up....

Samsung and Sony are made in the same factory, same process.

AU and Phillips and Vizio, same deal

Mitsubishi, Panasonic and LG, same deal

Sharp is on their own and had a proprietary technology that some people really liked.

The factories were too expensive ($5 billion or so) and the tech was changing too rapidly (you had to build a new plant every year) for companies to keep up alone, so they formed little consortia.

If you really want to drill down, look at whose Digital Signal Processor (DSP) is driving the whole mess. If it's not Sony or Texas Instruments, raise an eyebrow.

achiro
10/1/2012, 04:20 PM
My parents bought a 60" Sharp Aquos Quattron last year and the picture is great. It's different than the others for sure. Whether you think it's better or not would be personal preference but if I were in the market, that's the direction I would go.

SoonerLaw09
10/1/2012, 04:30 PM
I'll put in my .02 for Samsung. I bought a 51" plasma last year and it's hands down the best TV I've ever owned or seen. It even kicks the butt of my parents' Aquos. If you need an LCD/LED because of room brightness then go for the Aquos, but if not, you can save a lot of money and get the same size screen with a good plasma. Looked at Panasonic as well, but the Samsung picture quality blew me away.

BajaOklahoma
10/1/2012, 05:28 PM
We have a 50" LCD Samsung smart TV at the lake. We love it. It is hooked up to cable internet, satellite, a HD over-the-air antenna, blue-ray and a couple of game systems.
I love the thin edge screen. It basically hooks itself up to whatever you plug it into. Downside, there is no manual. It is built into the TV, and not the best. However customer service is very helpful.
We have two other Samsungs, not Smart TVs. Great picture and okay sound.
I can wait for some of our other TVs to die so we can replace them.

GDC
10/1/2012, 09:32 PM
I'll put in my .02 for Samsung. I bought a 51" plasma last year and it's hands down the best TV I've ever owned or seen. It even kicks the butt of my parents' Aquos. If you need an LCD/LED because of room brightness then go for the Aquos, but if not, you can save a lot of money and get the same size screen with a good plasma. Looked at Panasonic as well, but the Samsung picture quality blew me away.

I also love my Samsung plasma, wouldn't have anything else, especially for the price.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/1/2012, 10:09 PM
3- Don't worry about 1080 versus 720. There really doesn't seem to be that big of a difference unless you have a 200-inch TV (or Soonervision in your home or something).

I would disagree with this.

In smaller TVs, yeah, it doesn't make a difference. But I too have a 50" and viewing true 1080 versus 720 is AMAZINGLY different. Not upconverted 720, true 1080. Most of what you see in cable broadcasting even on a 1080 set is still 720, giving the false impression that there's not much difference. The difference is actually staggering and personally, I have a hard time watching true 1080 at 30 frames. The detail is obscene and I get a headache from what literally feels like my eyes sucking back in my head trying to process the detail.

stonecoldsoonerfan
10/2/2012, 09:34 AM
great stuff guys. i appreciate the help. i've been told that plasma doesn't really come any lower than a 50" or so, but that might be outdated info. anyone know about this?

C&CDean
10/2/2012, 09:42 AM
Alls I know Steve is that plasma sucks if you have outside light coming into the room. Glare/reflection is terrible. If your room is dark, plasma rocks.

stonecoldsoonerfan
10/2/2012, 10:45 AM
actually, it's dave, but it's MR. dave to you... ;)

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 11:03 AM
actually, it's dave, but it's MR. dave to you... ;)

Heh,

C&CDean
10/2/2012, 11:05 AM
Sheezus. Sorry DAVE. You should have come to more tailgates. Heh.

I do know you're married to Lisa though - that one's hard to forget.

SoonerBBall
10/2/2012, 11:46 AM
great stuff guys. i appreciate the help. i've been told that plasma doesn't really come any lower than a 50" or so, but that might be outdated info. anyone know about this?

If you are looking to replace your main TV, I'd definitely recommend a plasma. They have the best picture for the money as long as you take care and break them in properly. They are also pretty cheap to get a 1080p plasma without 3D. I got my dad a 51" Panasonic Viera last Christmas for $650. Full featured TV, just lacked internet connectivity and 3D so it was cheap.

You still need to tell us what you are primarily going to use the TV for if you want some really solid suggestions.

Also, definitely wait until Black Friday or Cyber Monday to pick up your new TV. It is worth waiting 6 more weeks because the TV deals on BF and CM are incredible.

stonecoldsoonerfan
10/2/2012, 01:19 PM
You still need to tell us what you are primarily going to use the TV for if you want some really solid suggestions.

Also, definitely wait until Black Friday or Cyber Monday to pick up your new TV. It is worth waiting 6 more weeks because the TV deals on BF and CM are incredible.

mostly for tv programs or sports, some ps3. i would consider our tv room sometimes dark and sometimes light. i really do want the internet connectivity feature.

so what you're saying, dean, is that my wife is memorable and i'm forgettable??? ;)

pphilfran
10/2/2012, 01:24 PM
I have my computer connected to my 52" LCD with a standard RGB and audio cables..had it this way for years...1280x768

C&CDean
10/2/2012, 01:48 PM
so what you're saying, dean, is that my wife is memorable and i'm forgettable??? ;)

Well....yeah? Kinda like me and my Lisa.

C&CDean
10/2/2012, 01:49 PM
I have my computer connected to my 52" LCD with a standard RGB and audio cables..had it this way for years...1280x768

Dude, for reals? How does a guy's dick look/sound in 52" 1280x768? Scare me to death.

jkjsooner
10/2/2012, 01:56 PM
Here's my input. Don't spend too much money. Anything you get today is much better than what they had 7 or 8 years ago. Years ago you really had to worry about contrast ratios and refresh rates. I haven't seen a TV in a while that was bad in these respects - although there is still some noticeable variations in contrast ratios (deep blacks being more gray).

Unless you really have a need for it I wouldn't get some of the add ons like wireless internet or netflix built in. Most likely you have 2 or 3 boxes (blu ray player, xbox, etc) that will do those things for you anyway.

I'd save the money and stay away from 3D. Then again I don't have stereoscopic vision (brain doesn't fuse images from both eyes properly) so I don't really have first hand experience on what 3D TV's can offer.

Whatever you buy, look up on the Internet the video/color settings that others suggest. Just do a search for your model and you can find plenty of suggested settings. The TV's usually come in some type of "vivid" type setting which makes them stand out at the store but really looks terrible.

stonecoldsoonerfan
10/2/2012, 02:09 PM
Well....yeah? Kinda like me and my Lisa.

gee....thanks....you really know how to make a guy feel specialz don't youz?

lisa and i used to come to the tailgates all the time until i got sucked into the black hole known as being self-employed. hasn't been the same the last 5-6 years.

badger
10/2/2012, 02:16 PM
Alls I know Steve is that plasma sucks if you have outside light coming into the room. Glare/reflection is terrible. If your room is dark, plasma rocks.

This. We used to have a plasma and the glare from the nearby window was really annoying.

badger
10/2/2012, 02:19 PM
mostly for tv programs or sports, some ps3. i would consider our tv room sometimes dark and sometimes light. i really do want the internet connectivity feature.

Warning on PS3: Our PS3 decided that it wouldn't play game discs and only play movies after a few years. Rather than spend a hundred on repairs, we sent everything in to Gamestop for something else :mad:

I've heard of this happening to others. Brace for the inevitable!

C&CDean
10/2/2012, 02:38 PM
Warning on PS3: Our PS3 decided that it wouldn't play game discs and only play movies after a few years. Rather than spend a hundred on repairs, we sent everything in to Gamestop for something else :mad:

I've heard of this happening to others. Brace for the inevitable!

Heh. I own a PS3 that's never had a game in it. It's strictly for movies.

C&CDean
10/2/2012, 02:39 PM
gee....thanks....you really know how to make a guy feel specialz don't youz?

lisa and i used to come to the tailgates all the time until i got sucked into the black hole known as being self-employed. hasn't been the same the last 5-6 years.

I know. After retiring and becoming self-employed we quit doing the tailgates. I ain't got the time.

pphilfran
10/2/2012, 02:59 PM
Dude, for reals? How does a guy's dick look/sound in 52" 1280x768? Scare me to death.

Big...and you should see the size of the hooters...

jkjsooner
10/2/2012, 03:31 PM
Heh. I own a PS3 that's never had a game in it. It's strictly for movies.

Remember when PS3 was the cheapest Blu Ray player you could get? Now you can get one for a hundred bucks...

SoonerBBall
10/3/2012, 07:46 AM

Here is my advice.

1) If you are looking to go for the best TV you've ever had without all the unnecessary features, go for a Panasonic Viera plasma. I just did a brief check on the internet and slickdeals.net shows this one for $899 (shipped free in 2 days with Amazon Prime, best $79 a year you'll ever spend): http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P60U50-60-Inch-600Hz-Plasma/dp/B008KCSMHS/ref=sr_1_1?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals&s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349238751&sr=1-1&keywords=p60u50

2) Internet connectivity on TVs is nice, but in my experience the technology is still too new to be really useful. If you are going to have a PS3 anyways, then you might as well use it as your internet device. The PS3 has Netflix, Amazon Prime Instant Video, Hulu Plus, ESPN3 and most other really popular web apps for free. It is also one of the best blu-ray players money can buy and is constantly updated by Sony to include newer and better features. I can't recommend it highly enough as a media device. Plugging your TV into the internet sounds nice, but I don't think it will be truly awesome for another 5 years or so. Until then I would stick with devices designed for internet use like the PS3, Google TV, and streaming media players (Roku, WDLiveTV, AppleTV, etc).

3) Unless you find a really good deal on a TV on slickdeals.net or techbargains.com, wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday to buy. Sams's, BestBuy, and Walmart always have lots of TV deals on Black Friday and Amazon, TigerDirect, BestBuy, NewEgg, and many others have better deals on CyberMonday. The fliers for their sales all come out online a week or so before the event actually occurs, so it gives you plenty of time to compare the features of all the TVs and figure out which one is best for you.

SoonerBBall
10/3/2012, 08:00 AM
I just checked, and the 50-inch version of that same TV is only $698, so if 60" is too big for your room, you can move down to 50" and save $200. The 50" version will probably be on sale on Black Friday for $500 or so.

badger
10/3/2012, 08:58 AM
I just checked, and the 50-inch version of that same TV is only $698, so if 60" is too big for your room, you can move down to 50" and save $200. The 50" version will probably be on sale on Black Friday for $500 or so.

Word... and when sales are down (as people worry about the outcome of the November election), the price may be down even further come December :D

Question: My TV sometimes will have the background "burned in" after I turn the TV off, but it always fades by morning. This is most common when watching sportscenter (thanks to that left list and bottom scrolly thing) or watching a show in "full screen" (which doesn't take up the entire wide screen, hehe). What type of TV does that, and should it deter our TV buyer from getting that type of TV?

SoonerBBall
10/3/2012, 09:08 AM
Word... and when sales are down (as people worry about the outcome of the November election), the price may be down even further come December :D

Question: My TV sometimes will have the background "burned in" after I turn the TV off, but it always fades by morning. This is most common when watching sportscenter (thanks to that left list and bottom scrolly thing) or watching a show in "full screen" (which doesn't take up the entire wide screen, hehe). What type of TV does that, and should it deter our TV buyer from getting that type of TV?

How old is your TV?

badger
10/3/2012, 09:13 AM
How old is your TV?

A year, maybe two. Again, it doesn't ever interfere with the picture and the shadows disappear within a few minutes.

SoonerBBall
10/3/2012, 09:24 AM
A year, maybe two. Again, it doesn't ever interfere with the picture and the shadows disappear within a few minutes.

Sounds like you have a plasma. Plasma pictures are generated by exciting phosphorus gas, so the after-image you are seeing is just the individual pixels slowly cooling. Did you condition your TV when you got it? Most sites recommend running a plasma television for at least 100 hours without any permanent images (side bars, scrolling titles, etc) at full screen to condition the pixels correctly. If you didn't do so, then the pixels in the side bar and scroll bar areas may be under-conditioned and, thus, more susceptible to temporary burn in. Of course, permanent burn in shouldn't be a concern unless you leave a permanent image on the screen for a very long time.

badger
10/3/2012, 09:38 AM
That sounds right. Just wanted to add that in, since I've seen some ancient screens (mostly computer monitors) that get images burned on them after years of abuse :D

8timechamps
10/3/2012, 02:49 PM
Don't know how quick you are looking to get a new TV, but the market is about to go through a pretty big overhaul (similar to tube TVs going away and flat screens coming in). The next generation of TV is the smart TV. Touch screen, internet, wifi, the works. There are already a few out, but the market will be flooded in the next year or so. Personally, I don't need all of that in a TV, but some people want it or will have to have it. In the end, it'll force the overall prices of non-smart TVs down. I'm already seeing prices falling.

badger
10/3/2012, 03:06 PM
Don't know how quick you are looking to get a new TV, but the market is about to go through a pretty big overhaul (similar to tube TVs going away and flat screens coming in). The next generation of TV is the smart TV. Touch screen, internet, wifi, the works. There are already a few out, but the market will be flooded in the next year or so. Personally, I don't need all of that in a TV, but some people want it or will have to have it. In the end, it'll force the overall prices of non-smart TVs down. I'm already seeing prices falling.

Touch screen TV? Do you mean the remote will have a touch screen, or will couch potatoes be expected to get up out of the lazy boy recliner and touch their TV :D

8timechamps
10/3/2012, 03:20 PM
Touch screen TV? Do you mean the remote will have a touch screen, or will couch potatoes be expected to get up out of the lazy boy recliner and touch their TV :D

LOL, both. The way it's supposed to end up is that the TV will replace the need for a computer in the living room. It's also supposed to replace DVD/BluRay. The only thing it won't replace is the console gaming systems. They'll never replace those things.

SoonerBBall
10/3/2012, 04:11 PM
LOL, both. The way it's supposed to end up is that the TV will replace the need for a computer in the living room. It's also supposed to replace DVD/BluRay. The only thing it won't replace is the console gaming systems. They'll never replace those things.

I know these are coming, but I can't see that tech actually being ready for prime time for at least 3 years, probably more like 5.

Also, touchscreen TVs are just like 3D TVs. They sound cool, but will never get used and the tech will hopefully die. Touchscreen remotes are a fantastic idea (aside from battery life concerns which could kill them before they even materialize), but no one wants to get close enough to their TV to touch it constantly. It defeats the purpose of sitting on the couch and watching TV.

8timechamps
10/3/2012, 04:46 PM
I know these are coming, but I can't see that tech actually being ready for prime time for at least 3 years, probably more like 5.

Also, touchscreen TVs are just like 3D TVs. They sound cool, but will never get used and the tech will hopefully die. Touchscreen remotes are a fantastic idea (aside from battery life concerns which could kill them before they even materialize), but no one wants to get close enough to their TV to touch it constantly. It defeats the purpose of sitting on the couch and watching TV.

Yeah, I don't see the touch screen TV being much of a draw, but having a TV capable of downloading movies from Netflix (or just the internet), and being able to play games via the internet is a draw.

Recently Steam (an online game provider) announced the compatibility with internet-friendly TVs. I don't game online, but from what I've heard, this is a great thing for folks that do. My question is how appealing will having the internet on the living room TV really be? That seems to be the driving force behind the technology movement. Isn't that already available via the game consoles?

SoonerLaw09
10/3/2012, 05:12 PM

The smallest plasmas are 42". As far as glare goes, the new models have anti-glare glass on them and while it's not perfect, it does work fairly well. If it bothers you, hang curtains. :)

Burn-in isn't much of a problem any more either. Any good set will have screen protection built in. As long as you don't leave a static image on for hours at a time it will be fine. I get the occasional ghost afterimage from ESPN but it goes away fairly quickly once the set is turned off. I'm also careful with channels that have static high-contrast corner logos. It gives me a good reason to limit the amount of time that my son watches Cartoon Network. :)

kbsooner21
10/3/2012, 05:14 PM
Samsung has always had the best picture imo.

SoonerBBall
10/4/2012, 11:28 AM
Samsung has always had the best picture imo.

No offense, but that isn't even the least bit true. It depends on many factors, most notably the type of TV. Samsung DLPs were the best, bar none. I know because I have one (bought it 6 years ago and it is still going strong) and I did a lot of research before buying. They have very good LCDs, but their LED LCD offerings haven't been the cream of the crop. Panasonic has been widely known to have amazing picture quality for their plasmas, especially when it comes to their deep black levels. Unfortunately, it comes down to a comparison between similarly featured TVs inside their product lines when it comes to best picture discussions. The takeaway, though, is that Samsung and Panasonic both make top-notch plasmas, picture quality wise, and you should pick the TV based on all factors like price, picture quality, size, and additional features. Having the prettiest picture doesn't do you any good if the TV doesn't do everything else you wanted it to do.

GDC
10/4/2012, 08:48 PM
Like I said, I really like my Samsung plasma.

sooneron
10/5/2012, 11:41 AM
http://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/

is a good place to look. They usually have great info on optimal settings, too.

sooneron
10/5/2012, 11:42 AM
& the counterpart. http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

Plasma uses a little more energy than most LCDs by the way...

And this is cool- http://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/best-sports-tv.html

Flagstaffsooner
10/5/2012, 11:51 AM
Dont get a plasma if you live at a high elevation.

Bought a 55" RCA LED at Walmart.com for a great price. I LUV IT!

stonecoldsoonerfan
10/6/2012, 11:10 AM
would you guys recommend the extended warranty coverage on this? is it worth it? seems like the ones that i've seen are $3-400.-.

okiewaker
10/6/2012, 11:47 AM
I've never bought the extended warranty but that's just me. Others may say differently. LED, 120hz, 1080p in any brand should be good, IMO. I stay clear of Best Buy.

stonecoldsoonerfan
10/7/2012, 07:36 AM
I stay clear of Best Buy.

that goes without saying...

SoonerBBall
10/10/2012, 04:08 PM
would you guys recommend the extended warranty coverage on this? is it worth it? seems like the ones that i've seen are $3-400.-.

Honestly, extended warranties are just money grabs. As long as you do your research, you should be picking a quality tv from a reputable company. It will also come with a 3 to 12 month manufacturer's warranty. If you have a defective unit the odds are heavily in your favor that the defects will appear in that time frame. Outside of that it is just random, but heavily weighted in your favor, if your unit will have an issue.

Short answer : say no to extended warranties